PDA

View Full Version : What do we know about it?

ziggamon
2005-11-04, 22:48
Will it be a free and easy upgrade? Or will it be "visit a certified reseller that will do it for $XXX"?

What else do we know about its features? I read somewhere about IM and VoIP coming up - that sounds good. (Btw, does it have a microphone or a headphone port?)
What else will it feature?
Will there perhaps be a totally different tablet for sale - better and cooler than the current one, based on the upgraded OS?

This is my first post here, I'm currently seriously thinking of getting me one of those babies! Just wanna know what to expect from it in the future! Good work with this site!

fermunky
2005-11-05, 01:41
As for the mic and headset port, yes. Has both. As per the Nokia site, they are still not sure how the 06 update will be distributed. Being true to linux, hopefully it will be a free download to be loaded using a nifty update tool. I am interested to see what the 06 version will have built in.

jaycee
2005-11-10, 22:25
Being true to linux, hopefully it will be a free download to be loaded using a nifty update tool. I am interested to see what the 06 version will have built in.

I heard a nasty rumour that it'd be Symbian-based, but I think I've seen enough online and in a brief chat with someone@nokia.com to scotch that one.

Any thoughts, anyone?

-- jc

PS "Big" "up" to the assembled "massive". Looking forward to getting my hands on a 770 for Xmas. (<--- Hint to my SO when she gets a link to this thread sent to her ... :-)

ric9887
2005-12-09, 13:13
As for the mic and headset port, yes. Has both.

I can see the port on the bottom saying its a headphone socket, but is this a mic socket as well ? I was thinking that mic/headphones for VoIP would be from a bluetooth or USB device

heckler770
2005-12-09, 16:31
I can see the port on the bottom saying its a headphone socket, but is this a mic socket as well ? I was thinking that mic/headphones for VoIP would be from a bluetooth or USB device
So I didn't accidentally jam a paperclip into the 'mic' hole thinking it was the 'reset'??? (the tiny hole next to the power port) Whew.....

I would prefer a wired solution over BT unless they could find a way for it not to impact battery life so much. VOIP over WiFi should be draining enough. I guess we'll find out.....

Illuminator
2005-12-14, 23:01
Reading the News category, I noticed the following... "The Nokia 2006 Internet Tablet OS is targeted to be released Spring 2006. This will include VoIP (SIP based) and Instant Messaging (pure IM, not including SMS, MMS). Nokia is also talking with big VoIP companies for possible integration."
Since it is SIP based, I wonder if they (Nokia) have been in talks with SIPphone. That wind certainly bean interesting place to start considering this article:
"Word on the street is that Michael Robertson has been shopping SipPhone. You have to realize he builds companies to sell them after developing rock solid technology."

http://andyabramson.blogs.com/voipwatch/

koen
2005-12-15, 09:59
So I didn't accidentally jam a paperclip into the 'mic' hole thinking it was the 'reset'??? (the tiny hole next to the power port) Whew.....

All the nokia people I've been talking to agree on the fact that it's a microphone. It isn't advertised as such because there aren't any drivers for it in the stock filesystem.

Jerome
2005-12-15, 16:14
What we know:
-there will be an upgrade with VOIP telephony
-there is a microphone in the unit, but no driver for it
-if linuxers want to write a VOIP application, they can as soon as they have a microphone driver
-the 770 is user upgradable

From this, it would seem that the 2006 edition would be user flashable, but may not be free. I'd be pissed by that, considering we are actually beta testing the 770.

To your last question: if the device has any success (and it has), yes there will be new hardware at some point. From my experience with other devices: more memory, a faster processor, maybe slight other harware changes but not many.

LilNdn
2005-12-25, 02:12
Will it be a free and easy upgrade? Or will it be "visit a certified reseller that will do it for $XXX"?

What else do we know about its features? I read somewhere about IM and VoIP coming up - that sounds good. (Btw, does it have a microphone or a headphone port?)
What else will it feature?
Will there perhaps be a totally different tablet for sale - better and cooler than the current one, based on the upgraded OS?

This is my first post here, I'm currently seriously thinking of getting me one of those babies! Just wanna know what to expect from it in the future! Good work with this site!
i doubt will cost much,maybe about 10 bucks 15.

tonberry1
2005-12-28, 22:29
i doubt will cost much,maybe about 10 bucks 15.
That would be evil of Nokia.

Of course it could cost like 10-15 bucks to pay someone to update it for you, but the updates should be free.

Wouldnt be that good marketing for a device which no one knows really whats it supposed to be used for...