PDA

View Full Version : Starting to lose faith...

mrp
2006-08-23, 05:29
Got my 770 just before Xmas. My plan was to avoid getting a laptop for Internet use. I have a home network with NAS and wit IT2005 i was able to watch (media converter encoded) recorded digiTV programs on 770 using NFS. IT2006 had lost support for nfs. I tried to flash a kernel with nfs support (which I should not have to do) with nfs-common packages. For some reason I have not been able to get a stable nfs-connection yet.
I was giving a possibility of instant messaging and phone calls to other computers. Calling feature would be nice if I could use a BT headset for it, otherwise this is not very usable for me.
770 is great as an instantly ready to use equipment (10s for wifi connection). I would love to use 770 for quick internet browsing, listening music and watching video clips. As internet radio 770 fulfills my wishes, and listenig to my home music collection and audio books is possible via sreaming by slimserver on a Slug. So far, unfortunately, I've been able to watch only some certain real media videos, while most of the stuff I would like to watch is in windows media.

Summa summarum. My future use of 770 depends on:

- some big improvements on the existing video player/replacement (Mplayer looks promising already)
- video streaming (mplayer ?)
- extended memory/mmc-unionfs
- kernel built-in nfs-support
- BT headset (of freeing the used memory by uninstalling messaging packages)

Arjun
2006-08-23, 14:01
Got my 770 just before Xmas. My plan was to avoid getting a laptop for Internet use. I have a home network with NAS and wit IT2005 i was able to watch (media converter encoded) recorded digiTV programs on 770 using NFS. IT2006 had lost support for nfs. I tried to flash a kernel with nfs support (which I should not have to do) with nfs-common packages. For some reason I have not been able to get a stable nfs-connection yet.
I was giving a possibility of instant messaging and phone calls to other computers. Calling feature would be nice if I could use a BT headset for it, otherwise this is not very usable for me.
770 is great as an instantly ready to use equipment (10s for wifi connection). I would love to use 770 for quick internet browsing, listening music and watching video clips. As internet radio 770 fulfills my wishes, and listenig to my home music collection and audio books is possible via sreaming by slimserver on a Slug. So far, unfortunately, I've been able to watch only some certain real media videos, while most of the stuff I would like to watch is in windows media.

Summa summarum. My future use of 770 depends on:

- some big improvements on the existing video player/replacement (Mplayer looks promising already)
- video streaming (mplayer ?)
- extended memory/mmc-unionfs
- kernel built-in nfs-support
- BT headset (of freeing the used memory by uninstalling messaging packages)

Before I say anything else, let me assure you that I am, by no means, an expert on this subject. So pardon my trespasses.

Having said that, let me say that Nokia 77 is not a laptop (or even similar to one in any way). When you say that “ My plan was to avoid getting a laptop for Internet use” you are already sort of implying that you wanted something somewhat similar to a Laptop. Nokia itself mentioned that Nokia 770 is not a PDA, and that it is merely an Internet Tablet. It surely is not a Tablet PC. It is simply a device that lets one surf the web and it surely does this very well as far as I know.

Now regarding Media streaming, Nokia 770 is not a Media Player per se. It surely plays very common Media Files like Real Media, Windows Media and quite a few others. At the Nokia Europe website they have mentioned the various media files that the Nokia 770 can actually play and I think I saw that it does .wma, .rm etc with OS 2006. Regarding BT Headsets, I am sure that you are aware that BT is really a weak protocol for very basic Wireless activities. So there is a lot to be desired from BT as it is implied now. The fact that Nokia provided good BT implementation in the Nokia 770 itself is a great thing. So far as today, I am yet to see any other Device that does Audio, BT, Wi-Fi (totally Free) not to mention a superb screen in a device likes this. I did a thorough research about a device that would allow me to Surf the Web without compunction.

I had looked ( abused rather) at Dell Axims, HP iPaqs, PALM devices, Sharp Zaurii, TREOs, LOOXs , CLIEs, various Phone PDAs, etc and truly nothing came together so nicely, in such a neat package as Nokia 770. Most of the above mentioned Devices other than the Nokia 770 uses either WinCE or a version of Window(oes) and in the end you either wince or get woes using them. PALM is rather good and I admit :confused: :o that I was absolutely not able to connect to the Wi-Fi Router at a Circuit City with a PALM Tungsten and to the Router at an OfficeMax near me using the Palm LifeDrive. Compared to all this Nokia 770 is a great Device at least it treats me rather good and I don’t fight too much with it either. Yes Sireee !!! my Nokia 770 and me are bosom buddies. So far as today, I did not even get the nagging feeling to take it apart and see what makes it tick(or even tock). But like I always say every dawg has its day and surely mine cant be too far off.
Eight months surely is not much time to get disheartened by Nokia 770 and by what it can do and what it cannot. Even God took 7 eons to create Man ( and for that matter woman, I think).

Hedgecore
2006-08-23, 16:02
Well. You can use a stick to play baseball, but it'll never be a bat.

I agree that the functionality and opportunity is there to play media, but I also agree with the primordial stage that it's at right now. It could be a while.

aleksandyr
2006-08-23, 16:16
With the exception of BT headset support, which Nokia has stated as a priority, everything else you've listed has a solution --- admittedly, testing/unstable solutions, not stable solutions, but there are -working- examples.

Odd time to lose faith.

Odin
2006-08-24, 02:08
Got my 770 just before Xmas. My plan was to avoid getting a laptop for Internet use.
<...snip>

As has been said many, many times, the 770 is not a laptop and you would be very unhappy indeed if you try to use it that way. Of course, if you don't know any better... :D

What I mean is that I have a laptop, a desktop and a 770 and each plays a differnet role in my computing ensemble. I replaced (shhh, don't tell Nokia) my PDA with the 770 and have been immeasurably happy with that move. Of course, I was using the PDA more as a UMPC than a PDA (no real need for contact lists, complex scheduling calendars, etc.), so the 770 was a well-received upgrade. I find the 770 useful when I just, for whatever reason, don't want to lug my laptop onto a plane. It is sized "just right" in between the desktop powerhouse with 22" cinema display, stereo sound with woofer, etc., etc. etc., and my 5#, burn your legs, full-lit keyboard, run-everything-and-then-some MacBook Pro. Finally, the 770 is just sort of fun, like being part of a weird club or something.

Oh, yeah, one last thing. Upstairs, in bed, watching TV--cannot beat it for browsing. You know, get more info on a news story, look up something you see in a commercial, the list goes on. Far cheaper than a HTPC!

Ok, and then I'll stop. You can carry the 770 in your trouser pocket. If you can do that with a laptop you have a far bigger problem than which computer to buy.

mrp
2006-08-24, 09:02
OK, thanks to all for your opinions and facts. To make clear I did not buy 770 to replace a laptop- and then again I did. I had noticed, as I was planning on buying a home laptop, that there were not many things I need a laptop for- internet browsing, internet video clips, stream music, news, sudden Email. Everything else I would do with a desktop computer (gradually moving- read:convincing my wife- to Ubuntu and leaving windows world).
I see it in a way that, as 770 is called an internet tablet, I should be able to view most of the internet content with IT2006, right out of box, without any hacks.
Ok, bluetooth headset- I can live without one as voip is not for me (company telephone). I use more and more Gmail, so Email is not a must. I don't write extensive memos with 770, Dont use spreadsheets in 770. I use my N9300 calendar synced with Outlook, so no PIM is needed on 770. The most important thing for me would be able to click a link on any web page- read/listen/watch- without a "media not supported"-message. Asking too much?

Karel Jansens
2006-08-24, 13:02
I agree on the Internet part: as a device that is being marketed as an Internet Tablet, the Internet experience on the 770 is presently woefully inadequate: no Java, really old flash, no tabs and no possibility to use any of the online "Office" packages, because Opera chooses to behave differently from the rest.

Minimo might be the answer, provided us users are given the option to store it in flash instead of crap-Opera.

And we really need a JRE on the 770. In fact, Nokia should have put a dedicated Java-chip inside the 770; heck, if it fits inside a P910, there should be room for it in the 770. I would love to learn the warped reasoning of that particular Nokia executive who thought it would be a good idea to leave Java out of an Internet Tablet...

Clay
2006-08-24, 13:51
I got mine for what it does -- not what I hoped it might do some day.

Karel Jansens
2006-08-24, 16:58
I got mine for what it does -- not what I hoped it might do some day.
Maybe, but when something is advertized as an "Internet Tablet", I assume it does just that, and not "selected parts of the Internet we, the developers, think should suffize to keep the punters happy".

troubleshootr
2006-08-24, 19:10
Minimo might be the answer, provided us users are given the option to store it in flash instead of crap-Opera.

This brings up a good point. Can "not used" applications be removed/replaced? I never use Chess or Marbles, and can put that extra space to better use. I would prefer Minimo over Opera, can I remove Opera? Anyone done this?

Odin
2006-08-24, 19:16
This brings up a good point. Can "not used" applications be removed/replaced? I never use Chess or Marbles, and can put that extra space to better use. I would prefer Minimo over Opera, can I remove Opera? Anyone done this?

I have wondered the same myself. What would be great is to just have a "base system" flash and a configurator that would allow you to add apps up to the memory limit. That would be unbelievably useful.

Luna
2006-08-24, 19:25
As for a JRE chip/JIT, shoot, a java compiler would be nice in the meantime--or even s60 3rd

Karel Jansens
2006-08-24, 19:55
I have wondered the same myself. What would be great is to just have a "base system" flash and a configurator that would allow you to add apps up to the memory limit. That would be unbelievably useful.
Here's a suggestion: maybe a forking "minimalist" maemo distro could present the unused flash memory space as a formatted and mounted "drive"?

Or a tool that would essentially cobble together a flash image with the user's choice of alternative applications? It could even be done from an online repository, assuring thereby that no weird applications find their way into the flash.

Yeah, I know: I'm dreaming here...

aleksandyr
2006-08-24, 19:59
And we really need a JRE on the 770.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2896

Honestly, every problem I've had with the 770 so far --- other than raw CPU power --- has either been solved or appears essentially solvable.

mrp
2006-08-25, 04:08
I'm questioning the Nokia's part in all this. Now all the goodies are accomplished by eager and skillful users. What is Nokia doing? If one is satisfied with what there is now, not much is propable to be gained from Nokia

Odin
2006-08-26, 13:47
Here's a suggestion: maybe a forking "minimalist" maemo distro could present the unused flash memory space as a formatted and mounted "drive"?

Yeah, I know: I'm dreaming here...

...that cannot fly.

Frankly, that is a damned good idea. Nokia does look at this board (who knows for how long and with what level of understanding, but they do look ;) ). Given the immense level of programmability of the 770, I believe that something like this happening is not as far-fetched as you may think.

Odin
2006-08-26, 13:49
I'm questioning the Nokia's part in all this. Now all the goodies are accomplished by eager and skillful users. What is Nokia doing? If one is satisfied with what there is now, not much is propable to be gained from Nokia
...about as much as can be expected. They have to eat, you know. Then there are the shareholders, which I imagine is every villager in Nokia, Finland. Jeez!

Wooky
2006-09-03, 00:25
I agree on the Internet part: as a device that is being marketed as an Internet Tablet, the Internet experience on the 770 is presently woefully inadequate: no Java, really old flash, no tabs and no possibility to use any of the online "Office" packages, because Opera chooses to behave differently from the rest.

And we really need a JRE on the 770. In fact, Nokia should have put a dedicated Java-chip inside the 770; heck, if it fits inside a P910, there should be room for it in the 770. I would love to learn the warped reasoning of that particular Nokia executive who thought it would be a good idea to leave Java out of an Internet Tablet...
770's CPU has a dedicated JME accelerator, I guess that is what you are referring to in the SE P910. Curiously, it is not used at all. Apparently it has more to do with licensing than anything else.

Karel Jansens
2006-09-03, 09:09
770's CPU has a dedicated JME accelerator, I guess that is what you are referring to in the SE P910. Curiously, it is not used at all. Apparently it has more to do with licensing than anything else.
Does it really cost that much per unit to get a license?

bradb
2006-09-04, 01:38

It's my understanding that most all components of 2006 are installed as packages.

Try 'dpkg -l' to see a list (may need to be root)

So you should be able to remove components at will...

Brad.

EDIT: So I removed the two marbles packages and root is bigger so...

Karel Jansens
2006-09-04, 11:10
It's my understanding that most all components of 2006 are installed as packages.

Try 'dpkg -l' to see a list (may need to be root)

So you should be able to remove components at will...

Brad.

EDIT: So I removed the two marbles packages and root is bigger so...
Interesting, but can we actually do something with that reclaimed space?

syam
2006-09-04, 11:48

I think Nokia is still working on 770 to bring better user experience.
See the new application from Nokia - Media Streamer.
Link (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2972&page=1&pp=10)

mrp
2006-09-04, 12:34
thanks for the intel. Yes, I had noticed some progress on audio streaming area and now even promises of video streaming early next year. Audio streaming I've had for some time now, using free slimserver on my slug. You can get Slimserver for windows and MAC too. In IT2005 I was able to watch video using NFS-shares, again from HD connected to Slug. You can get free NFS server for windows too, SFU NFS from MS, but IT2006 kernel lacks support for NFS mounts. As slimserver, unfortunately is not uPnP server, I'm still left with nothing new to use my 770 for.
I'm eagerly waiting for Nokias video streaming beta versions though. I sure hope it will closely be connected to the Tversity idea of showing it all, all media on the web. Not just some specific video format. Future tells.