PDA

View Full Version : Maemo 4 continuing development idea

Lord Raiden
2009-05-09, 20:48
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong on this. Maemo 4, aka Diablo, is controlled and developed by Nokia and help is provided during the development by the community. So if this is true, how hard would it be for Nokia to turn over control of the source code for Maemo 4 Diablo entirely to the community. They're obviously not going to use it anymore, and there's a LOT of tablets out there that still need it. The idea behind that is that bug work can continue on Diablo even though Maemo 5 is the focus right now and still keep some life in the older n8xx tablets. Or would releasing the source code be impossible due to NDA, licensing, or some other nonsense? Or worse yet, is they're stopping development in hopes of killing the remaining n8xx's so as to get everyone to buy the new nx-51 when it comes out, not that most of us wouldn't run right out tomorrow and buy one anyways. I know I will.

And I don't want to seem derogatory towards Nokia or anything. I'm just trying to figure out if Maemo 4 can be resurrected and bug work can continue on it, instead of just letting it fall flat on it's face and die a horrible death like it is.

tso
2009-05-09, 21:07
I kinda got the impression this is what mer is about...

There was however some mumbling about creating a community SSU or something.

Problem is that, at least for me, the most annoying bug so far is one that's housed in the closed source wireless network manager system. I'm talking about the bug where it will not see any saved networks when coming out of offline mode. Most annoying thing was that this is a bug they introduced going from chinook to diablo, and never fixed it during their SSU's...

GeneralAntilles
2009-05-10, 00:21
This has been discussed extensively on -developers (http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//maemo-developers/2009-April/054564.html) and on #maemo.

In summary, handing over the keys to the update repository is being discussed. The community would end up pushing the remaining Diablo updates that are in the pipeline out, and perhaps a few more small support patches for some open source stuff (new categories for h-a-m, etc.).

Lord Raiden
2009-05-10, 02:33
Ah, uber coolness. That's good to hear. :D