PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Recommendation

netguy
2006-09-05, 02:44
Hello,

I've had my Nokia 770 for 6 months now. I have a Think Outside Stowaway keyboard. Just upgraded a few weeks ago to OS06.

My wife is starting college classes. She has a mild handicap where she has difficulty writing with speed to take notes. I thought the Nokia 770 would be compact enough for her to take to class and type notes.

The problem is the Stowaway keyboard. I like the Stowaway except the sides tend to "tip" the keyboard. Pressing enter the wrong way sometimes makes the keyboard "tip" to the right.

Does anyone have recommendations on a wireless keyboard that is compact and has a stable base?

Thanks in advance.

ascherjim
2006-09-05, 04:24
I have just started using the Freedom Bluetooth keyboard, which the Nokia 770 is finally able to utilize (with an English/American rather than French keyboard layout) through the skilled services of fanoush who has fashioned an excellent application for it. Look elsewhere in this forum for his download site. I find it sufficiently physically stable and am enjoying it thoroughly. One drawback, which may be remedied in time, is that for now it cannot access the "|" pipe key, nor the "~" tilde key, as these require an "alt gr" shift. That can be a bit of a drawback, but I'm working on getting around it, or otherwise attempting to solve the problem. By the way, I'm curious as to what word processing software on the Nokia your wife will be employing to take her notes. I'm not aware of one yet available for the 2006OS.

fanoush
2006-09-05, 08:31
While Freedom and other keyboards works fine using kbdd maybe it is better to buy keyboard that supports HID profile and works across many devices without any specific drivers. Also next IT2007 version may support HID keyboards out of the box ( mentioned by mistake in https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=663). Those using serial profile may still need kbdd and various tweaking in future OS version.

richr
2006-09-05, 11:27
I have just started using the Freedom Bluetooth keyboard, which the Nokia 770 is finally able to utilize (with an English/American rather than French keyboard layout) through the skilled services of fanoush who has fashioned an excellent application for it. Look elsewhere in this forum for his download site. I find it sufficiently physically stable and am enjoying it thoroughly. One drawback, which may be remedied in time, is that for now it cannot access the "|" pipe key, nor the "~" tilde key, as these require an "alt gr" shift. That can be a bit of a drawback, but I'm working on getting around it, or otherwise attempting to solve the problem. By the way, I'm curious as to what word processing software on the Nokia your wife will be employing to take her notes. I'm not aware of one yet available for the 2006OS.

Hi there
Can you help me? How do I get the Freedom BT working with an English/american keyboard. I didn't think this was possible??

Thanks

fanoush
2006-09-05, 12:24
Freedom makes more keyboard models, which one you mean? But anyway, check this http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#kbdd

Luna
2006-09-05, 12:51
While Freedom and other keyboards works fine using kbdd maybe it is better to buy keyboard that supports HID profile and works across many devices without any specific drivers. Also next IT2007 version may support HID keyboards out of the box ( mentioned by mistake in https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=663). Those using serial profile may still need kbdd and various tweaking in future OS version.

I haven't checked the status on this in a week or so but it looks like we have someone else working on it.