PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft launches the Zune!

ioan
2006-09-14, 17:25
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/microsoft-launches-the-zune/

actually is just an mp3 (media) player

Mike Cane
2006-09-16, 19:32
Getcher "Zune-kloon" right here!

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=nl_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gadgetzone.nl%2fnieuws.php% 3fid%3d2685

Odin
2006-09-16, 21:25
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/microsoft-launches-the-zune/

actually is just an mp3 (media) player

Wow, that spot where Apple bit them with the iPod must really itch.

Drewvt
2006-11-12, 22:43
The Zune is hilarious!

Possibly the biggest waste of a wifi card ever. You can't connect to anything except other Zunes...IF there are any in the vicinity (and hey, most people have iPods)...and IF those other Zunes allow you to connect. And then you can download their songs...IF they have anything you actually want and are actually sharing those particular files...songs which, once received, you can then listen to three times, and then they erase themselves. DRM, don't you know. Frickin' hilarious.

MikeL
2006-11-12, 23:11
Frickin' hilarious.It would be if we along with Nokia could get our collective act together, further building upon and promoting the TRULY OPEN media playing, streaming, Wi-Fi sharing capabilities of a unit such as the Nokia 770 with an application that perhaps mixes/merges Mplayer, Media Streamer, Canola, Opera, RSS AV Feeds as a thoughtful starter for Ten?

At the moment, what else truly provides portable tablet Wi-Fi Media Streaming?

omegaone37
2006-11-12, 23:29
Zune .... guess I missed the part about why I should care. :p

Omega

Hedgecore
2006-11-12, 23:47
Drewvt: 3¼ inch disks used to fall into the same category remember.

I do agree on the stupid wifi limitations though. :)

Drewvt
2006-11-13, 20:51
I could be wrong about the Zune's prospects. If it takes off, though, it would be so undeserved.

The reason I am sceptical about the wifi sharing is not just because Microsoft is implementing it very badly. Look at how commonplace laptops have become (in other words how easy it is for a laptop user to run into another laptop user) and yet no one is trying to promote laptop-to-laptop connecting, not Microsoft or anyone else.

And even the Nokia 770 equipped with the Ultimate Sharing/Streaming Application would still face two obstacles in this area: 1) little storage space and 2) too few 770s out there.

Drewvt
2006-11-16, 17:37
Oh yes, the hilarity continues.

You can't even use the Zune on Vista (not until a patch comes out in January, which is a long time considering the Vista betas have been around for quite some time). :D

And by the way, the Zune can't be used on anything less than XP either. No 2000 or anything.

It does not play music tracks purchased at the Microsoft Store. The latter is being shut down and Microsoft is launching a "Zune" store (similar to the iTunes store). Even so, the incompatibility means everyone who bought a large number of tracks from the old store and now purchases a Zune is kinda being screwed. :D

thoughtfix
2006-11-16, 18:05
It's shocking how LITTLE people care about this thing. It looks pretty cool.
However, I'm a touch wheel addict and I love the Harman/Kardon Drive+Play car kit. When the Zune catches up on accessories and can auto sync my Windows Media Center recorded TV over WiFi, I'll get it. :D

Drewvt
2006-11-17, 15:35
However, I'm a touch wheel addict and I love the Harman/Kardon Drive+Play car kit. When the Zune catches up on accessories and can auto sync my Windows Media Center recorded TV over WiFi, I'll get it. :D

Oh yes, I forgot. Zune is also incompatible with Windows Media Player.
You know, the player Microsoft has been trying to make the singular focus of its entire operating system (and probably the Media Center edition, too? I've never used Media Center before).

No sir, as a Zune user you have no choice but to export all your music outside of that centralized player and into the special Zune player if you want to use it (it increasingly seems like "special" in this case really means "special" as in "this one rides the little yellow bus every day" or as in "handicapped orphan". :D )

=DC=
2006-11-17, 15:58
Wow, sounds like Microsoft just said "Compatibility? Screw that!".

Etaoin Shrdlu
2006-11-17, 19:49
Wow, sounds like Microsoft just said "Compatibility? Screw that!".

I think you misspelled "Customer?".

Etaoin