PDA

View Full Version : Desktop freezes, resets and then continues

crox
2009-08-16, 18:13
Sorry for the poor title description. I am keen to troubleshoot the problem I am having without backing up the device and reinstalling the O/S.

Some details:

Device: N810
O/S: Maemo version 5.2008.43-7
Options: 8GB optional memory card installed
Applications: Many and varied
Problem Description: Device boots and performs well (apps are responsive) for some hours. Within 12 hours (and always within 24 hours) I experience the following behaviour:
- applications become unresponsive
- all 'extra' status bar apps reset (they are no longer displayed and the default set are present)
- all desktop icons disappear from the screen

Notes: In trying to isolate the problem I have rebooted the device without any desktop apps/icons present. Fault still appears (after some hours the device becomes unresponsive and the status bar icons reset to default set). I also note that the keyboard backlight frequently fails to illuminate when opened although I have yet to link this as a symptom related to my major issue.

I know the information is pretty general but am keen to find out what facilities and logs are available to help me isolate the problem further.

Thanks,
Alan

sjgadsby
2009-08-16, 19:42
- all 'extra' status bar apps reset (they are no longer displayed and the default set are present)
- all desktop icons disappear from the screen

This indicates a home or status bar applet on your tablet is crashing. The other symptoms you listed appear to indicate a memory leak in one of them.

In trying to isolate the problem I have rebooted the device without any desktop apps/icons present. Fault still appears...

So, it's a status bar applet that has a memory leak. Disable all non-original status bar applets, then re-enable one at a time until you identify the culprit.

xavi6
2009-08-25, 11:59
Same problem here!! what's going on !! really !! i reflash it twice now and it work as charm then when i turned my N810 off for more than 6 hrs i get the freez and rebooy loob again+ the internal space memory that left for me is flactuating sometimes 28 MB and then it changed to 30MB!!! i would really preciate if some one expert here just give us a simple basic stable tips of how we use the memory well as it's the issue i guess here to make our n810 stable!!

thanx in advance 2 all of ya!

YoDude
2009-08-25, 12:27
Why don't we list what status bar apps we have running and then perhaps establish some common ground...
My desktop only seems to "freeze" if I am running MaemoMapper in the background (minimized). Until I saw this thread I thought it was related to the internal GPS of the N810 since I didn't notice this on my N800.

Anyway...

My running Status bar apps are:

- Software update notifier (OS 2008.43-7)
- Battery (system, can not change)
- Connection (system, can not change)
- LoadApplet v0.8.3
- Quick Clip v0.4.5-2
- Webmail Notifier
- Advanced Backlight Control v0.15-0

...BTW, my running desktop apps are:

- Cairo Clock v0.2.0-1
- Internet Search v5.2008.43-7
- OMWeather v0.22.6
- Personal Launcher v0.7-4
- HomeIP v09.1-2

xavi6
2009-08-25, 14:45
ok good idea..

my stausbar :

- Software update notifier (OS 2008.43-7)
- Battery (system, can not change)
- Connection (system, can not change)
- LoadApplet v0.8.3
- Advanced Backlight Control v0.15-0
-USB-UTG PLUGIN

MY desktop:

- homesensor
-hometools
- Internet Search v5.2008.43-7
- OMWeather v0.22.6

p.s. could the default mail client with 3 accounts setttings(hotmail.yahoo,and gmail) cause the overload to the CPU Specially when i connect to the wifi causes the freez and reboot on startup!!

sjgadsby
2009-08-25, 15:35
could the default mail client with 3 accounts setttings(hotmail.yahoo,and gmail) cause the overload to the CPU

I use the default email client (Modest) with four different accounts on three different servers without freezing or reboots.

YoDude
2009-08-26, 01:46
Today I disabled all the status bar apps that I could leaving just "Battery" and "Connection" running...

1. I ran M/M with GPS enabled for 30 minutes in both the "normal screen" and "full screen" views. All was fine and I had no problems with the desktop. I then minimized M/M to a side bar icon and the desktop froze in under 2 minutes...

2. I then tried the Wafinder Map program to see if it was GPS related. Wayfinder ran fine for 30 minutes in all three modes...

3. I then tried M/M without GPS enabled. M/M ran fine for 30 minutes in all three modes...

4. I then re-enabled GPS in M/M and reduced it to an icon in the side bar. Again the desktop froze in 1 minute 20 seconds. (I have Cairo Clock with a second hand running on the desktop. When the desktop freezes, the clock stops cold. :eek: )

Conclusion: My problem seems to be Maemo Mapper specific and does not appear to have anything to do with the status bar apps. YMMV

Work around: I can run Maemo Mapper in the background. I just can't minimize it. That is, its window must remain open.