PDA

View Full Version : Easter egg in the RX-51?

sachin007
2009-08-17, 22:59
I still remember the exciting time we had guessing the easter egg in the n800.

So will the rx-51 have an easter egg? If yes what will it be?

Laughing Man
2009-08-17, 23:01
What was the easter egg on the n800? o.o

gerbick
2009-08-17, 23:53
What was the easter egg on the n800? o.o

FM receiver.

Thesandlord
2009-08-18, 01:09
Laser guided taser hidden inside.

Multifunctional taken to the new level.

Phen0m
2009-08-18, 02:22
4.3" screen once you peel the outer layers:cool:

Laughing Man
2009-08-18, 03:04
FM receiver.

Ah, I thought easter egg as in software. Didn't know Nokia did hardware easter eggs. :D

benny1967
2009-08-18, 06:01
If you slide out the keyboard and twist it firmly, a set of additional keys will magically appear so you can write in languages other than english. (Most languages need more characters=keys.)

Also, a D-pad plus a menu-key will appear to the left of the screen.

debernardis
2009-08-18, 06:02
Photosensitive screen bezel, to scroll by sliding on the edge?

Bundyo
2009-08-18, 06:20
You can switch to a capacitive multi-touch screen by a single @ gesture.

nwerneck
2009-08-18, 06:44
Easter egg is a whole complete clone of the device as we imagine it, in itself. It's dual core, with two screens (=dual view + dual touch!), two keyboards (one english, one finnish), two wi-fi devices to make it an ad-hoc wifi AP, two GPS for precise readings and two cameras for stereopsy! Two D-pads will also allow for better PS2 emulator gaming experience.

ysss
2009-08-18, 07:19
a DRM-related chip inside.

ragnar
2009-08-18, 07:22
The device roadmap, drawn as a treasure map with a big X.

McLightning
2009-08-18, 09:25
i hope its touchscreen is better than n810
am i the only one who notice that when press somewhere on screen with stylus
it feels like there is something liquid under screen.
i mean the area you press with stylus fades to blue.
you know which of my devices had same problem
ericsson r380
http://ioffer.com/img/1082703600/_i/2842097/1.jpg

it has been years, r380 is a veryy old phone
but same issue on n810
that's kinda embrassing

sorry for my english
i hope i could explain what i wanted to mean

wazd
2009-08-18, 09:31
sorry for my english
i hope i could explain what i wanted to mean

LCD = *LIQUID* Crystal Display.

McLightning
2009-08-18, 09:37
LCD = *LIQUID* Crystal Display.
pfff of course i know that
but it doesnt have to make user feel that.
it had to feel strong and stable
also
i got a nokia 500 navigation which has a touch screen
that doesnt happen at that device

what i think is that nokia used cheap touch screens these devices

Andre Klapper
2009-08-18, 10:34
Kitchensink. Not leaking.

aironeous
2009-08-18, 10:45
how about a good gps signal for a change? Anybody tried the antenae hack they did on the n97 on the n810 yet?

deeteroderdas
2009-08-18, 12:33
pfff of course i know that
but it doesnt have to make user feel that.
it had to feel strong and stable
also
i got a nokia 500 navigation which has a touch screen
that doesnt happen at that device

what i think is that nokia used cheap touch screens these devices

How hard are you pushing, anyway? You really only need to tap the screen. Pushing harder doesn't make it respond faster.:)

McLightning
2009-08-18, 12:55
huh? i dont think that's something about how hard i push
just check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRQI4-7u46c
boxar demonstration
it is very obvious with black background

volt
2009-08-18, 13:16
Easter egg: cell phone functionality :B

...Yes, easter was a whole lot of months ago.

Bundyo
2009-08-18, 13:39
The device roadmap, drawn as a treasure map with a big X.

On the back side of the screen.

McLightning
2009-08-19, 12:19
what about accelerometer?
will n900 have an accerometer?

qwerty12
2009-08-19, 12:21
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=307809 : Yes.

zehjotkah
2009-08-19, 13:07
a small modell helicopter (like the walkera 4#3b) comes out if you press all four buttons of the dpad, the | and esc buttons together...

or you can use the n900 as a remote control for such a modell helicopter ;-)

Bundyo
2009-08-19, 13:19
Well, that will be hard since there is no d-pad :)

gerbick
2009-08-19, 13:30
proper working GPS. my guess. (that hasn't been announced, has it?)

McLightning
2009-08-19, 13:30
compass sensor??
there are compass sensors in n97 and 6210 navigator

zehjotkah
2009-08-19, 13:42
@ Bundyo
that was a joke, because as you correctly have said: there aren't dpad, | button and esc button^^

nowave7
2009-08-19, 14:15
Faster GPS would be nice. But for me a faster UI would be a huge easter egg!

attila77
2009-08-19, 14:37
compass sensor??
there are compass sensors in n97 and 6210 navigator

(to my endless grief) apparently no compass sensor. Unless they see some weird sense in showing code and drivers for accelerometers and the location framework and completely omit the compass the process. There is always hope, but it's a slim chance at best at the moment.

penguinbait
2009-08-19, 14:44
"My name is Linus Torvalds, and I pronounce Linux, Linux."

nowave7
2009-08-19, 14:46
I could never figure out why is a digital compass on a GPS enabled phone such a big deal?!

vvaz
2009-08-19, 14:53
Some people just cannot orientate map without this newfangled thingy ;)

attila77
2009-08-19, 14:58
I could never figure out why is a digital compass on a GPS enabled phone such a big deal?!

GPS gives you location. Accelerometers give you vertical orientation. However, without compass you have no *horizontal* orientation unless you are moving (e.g. in a car). Why is that big deal ? For two reasons. One, no directions (museum is left here, straight ahead is the palace, right is the park...), you just have a map which you need to figure out. Second, perhaps even more importantly, it is needed for augmented reality applications. Imagine pointing the device at a building and seeing the details about it. Or actually seeing the path you need to take like you had X-ray vision. Or automatic tagging of image contents. Or (personal favorite) pointing at the night sky and seeing constellations, celestial objects with details.

zehjotkah
2009-08-19, 14:59
because if you walk slowly most gps sensors don't get the direction in which you are going... no problem in car. but walking, the navigation experience with a compass is really better...

nowave7
2009-08-19, 15:16
The only use that it might have is that it gives you a sense of direction when you're not moving. In other cases you heavily rely on GPS, if compass has a use in these cases at all.

javispedro
2009-08-19, 15:29
Compass would be really good, but is also a known battery-sucker (well, at least the last time I tried a digital compass device, when Garmin released the original eTrex series).

attila77
2009-08-19, 15:29
I might have not been clear enough (nisam bio dovoljno jasan :) ). You need it for stuff like this

http://www.uwplatt.edu/web/presentations/PennState/ar/pix/augmented-reality-hud.jpg

Naranek
2009-08-19, 15:32
I worked with electronic compasses a about two years ago. At that point they were really ***** to use. You had to calibrate it for the spot you were using it if you wanted good results, and even still it might not work properly. I don't know if the situation has improved since then, but I believe that the reason for the bad performance (disturbances in magnetic fields) is still there. So I don't think it's such a big deal even if a compass isn't included.

nwerneck
2009-08-19, 15:33
Second, perhaps even more importantly, it is needed for augmented reality applications. Imagine pointing the device at a building and seeing the details about it. Or actually seeing the path you need to take like you had X-ray vision. Or automatic tagging of image contents. Or (personal favorite) pointing at the night sky and seeing constellations, celestial objects with details.

I reasearch computer vision, and one of the applications of what I've been working with is localization (including orientation) for AR. We also have techniques to merge all this data from GPS, accelerometers, compass, and even bluetooth, wifi and cell antenna readings.

I'm not sure these sensors are good enough to localize the device with precision for some applications. But image processing does it! We only need to make the programs. Maybe I should wish the easter egg is an OpenCV port to make it easier! :)

A laser range finder might be good too.

SD69
2009-08-19, 15:38
But for me a faster UI would be a huge easter egg!A faster UI is promised, so it can't be an easter egg.

qole
2009-08-19, 18:10
Easter egg: cell phone functionality :B

...Yes, easter was a whole lot of months ago.

The problem with Fremantle is that we've had the SDK for a very long time now, and so it will be hard to have Easter eggs in there. So we know it will have an FM receiver (and transmitter), video out, plus accelerometer and GPS.

The phone functionality is quite a surprise for everyone, but all the leaks this Summer have taken away that surprise from Nokia.

An Easter egg that I'd like to see, and might still be possible: digital video out (DVI / HDMI)

nwerneck
2009-08-19, 18:24
Speaking of video out... Another great surprise would be a projector! :D

Den in USA
2009-08-19, 18:27
I would like to have a built-in garage door opener.

lma
2009-08-19, 18:48
The problem with Fremantle is that we've had the SDK for a very long time now, and so it will be hard to have Easter eggs in there.

Quite, and most recent surprises were not pleasant ones. Maybe next time they should give us the bad news first ;-)

danramos
2009-08-19, 19:05
easter egg:

Self destruct sequence triggered remotely by cellular radio signal :P

attila77
2009-08-19, 19:09
Autocorrect Freemantle into Fremantle ? :D

sjgadsby
2009-08-19, 19:31
Autocorrect Freemantle into Fremantle ?

Take that, Southampton!

timoph
2009-08-19, 19:43
a geiger counter

it would certainly get some attention :)

TenSpeed
2009-08-19, 19:59
Maybe the kickstand is super strong, and doubles as a bottle opener!

Or the stylus was replaced by a corkscrew... :)

zehjotkah
2009-08-19, 20:02
or a stylus is present

danramos
2009-08-19, 21:29
or a stylus is present

Or an app that lets you order extra styluses. ...finally.

jlslate
2009-08-19, 23:04
Maybe a battery that lasts all day with gps, wireless and cell running?

vkv.raju
2009-08-20, 03:30

Gawd! That would be an easter chicken!

manda
2009-08-20, 06:08

don't forget coffee machine too.

new004lagmaster
2009-08-20, 06:11
IR would be nice to have. And the ability to network connection share.

nowave7
2009-08-20, 07:53
I might have not been clear enough (nisam bio dovoljno jasan :) ). You need it for stuff like this

http://www.uwplatt.edu/web/presentations/PennState/ar/pix/augmented-reality-hud.jpg

I know what you meant, but for that to work, firstly, the GPS needs to tell you what is around you, and maybe then the digital compass can tell you what you are pointing the device at.

nowave7
2009-08-20, 07:56
IR would be nice to have. And the ability to network connection share.

IR?! What for?! Is there anyone who still uses IR?

attila77
2009-08-20, 08:46
I know what you meant, but for that to work, firstly, the GPS needs to tell you what is around you, and maybe then the digital compass can tell you what you are pointing the device at.

The content part is a question of software, there are already applications (http://layar.eu/) that integrate info from wikipedia, flickr, twitter, google maps and many others, but undoubtedly, the offer will expand more and more as the tech gets more precise and the content more numerous (this is the first AR capable device generation, so obviously far from perfect or even mainstream, but the potential is there)

PS. Everything is better with lasers ! I lamented the lack of distance measurements a while back - it would help target determination greatly, especially on panoramic/non-horizontal vistas.

nowave7
2009-08-20, 09:08
A laser huh?

ddalex
2009-08-20, 09:23
I'd love to see a docking station for this baby.

To me, ability to hookup a hi-res monitor and keyboard when I'm in the office, and have the desktop in my pocket when I'm away would be a killer. I'd make this my primary computer !

Picoprojector in it would be also a killer.

nowave7
2009-08-20, 09:33
To be able to hook it to an LCD would be great, and thus turn it into a full fledged computer!

Kozzi
2009-08-20, 10:38
IR?! What for?! Is there anyone who still uses IR?

With good IR and proper software it might replace those 5 remote controls I currently have. Also hunting nintendo ducks.

nowave7
2009-08-20, 10:55
With good IR and proper software it might replace those 5 remote controls I currently have. Also hunting nintendo ducks.

Aaahh yes... But this is not a universal remote control ;)

ysss
2009-08-20, 11:05
It's about time that TV, DVR, Bluray players and cable boxes to be equipped with bluetooth.

Kozzi
2009-08-20, 11:14

Those screenshots of BlueMaemo gave me hope :) Imagine noone else can control those devices except me and my one-to-own-them-all ring-ring.

nowave7
2009-08-20, 11:48
Well, that's true... But usually those phone IRs do not have long range, at least not suitable for data transfer.

Markosib
2009-08-20, 12:15
A laser projector (lyk Samsung's). Supine computing...!

& Bluetooth 3

vkv.raju
2009-08-20, 12:20
A laser projector (lyk Samsung's). Supine computing...!

& Bluetooth 3

Oops! Did you forget USB 3.0 and 802.11n :D:D If they are there without a strain on the battery life, that would be way too cool :cool::cool: Just wishing guys!

peterjb31
2009-08-20, 12:54
It's about time that TV, DVR, Bluray players and cable boxes to be equipped with bluetooth.

PS3 has bluetooth which in my opinion makes it a much better Bluray player as I can control it using Blue Maemo and my N810.

nowave7
2009-08-20, 13:34
And what about Nokia's symbian applications as easter egg? I'd love to see, say, Nokia Sports Tracker, or Nokia Maps run on Maemo!

nwerneck
2009-08-20, 14:51
PS. Everything is better with lasers ! I lamented the lack of distance measurements a while back - it would help target determination greatly, especially on panoramic/non-horizontal vistas.

Sure, and since we have a camera already, we could try some
Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser-induced_breakdown_spectroscopy) like in the Mars Science Laboratory!! :cool: But it might drain the battery a bit too much, tough. :rolleyes:

Everything is better with lasers, indeed. Do you know laser cats? :D

volt
2009-08-20, 15:08

Well, my coworker did use his older Nokia as an universal remote control. Remote control software exists on windows ce/PDAs, windows mobile and symbian. Most but not all Cell phones and PDAs do have too weak a signal, though.

Milhouse
2009-08-20, 18:33
Well, my coworker did use his older Nokia as an universal remote control. Remote control software exists on windows ce/PDAs, windows mobile and symbian. Most but not all Cell phones and PDAs do have too weak a signal, though.

That's because most PDAs implement the IrDA standard which is designed for short range and device-to-device communication - to control a TV you need Consumer IR.

Implementing IrDA would be a waste of time/space/money on the RX-51, it's been pretty much rendered obsolete these days by radio based technologies, but Consumer IR could be an interesting addition and would give the RX-51 something the opposition lacks, although I doubt it would ever replace my Harmony One.

zehjotkah
2009-08-20, 18:43
And what about Nokia's symbian applications as easter egg? I'd love to see, say, Nokia Sports Tracker, or Nokia Maps run on Maemo!

Nokia Maps and Nokia Ovi runs on the RX-51.

davidgro
2009-08-20, 19:33
That's because most PDAs implement the IrDA standard which is designed for short range and device-to-device communication - to control a TV you need Consumer IR.

Implementing IrDA would be a waste of time/space/money on the RX-51, it's been pretty much rendered obsolete these days by radio based technologies, but Consumer IR could be an interesting addition and would give the RX-51 something the opposition lacks, although I doubt it would ever replace my Harmony One.

The IR on my Palm Tungsten E was Very usable as a remote, all the way across a decent sized house. I really miss that. (The software the I used on it, NoviiRemote or some such, also let it learn from other remotes and had an ok default library of codes for major brands' devices)

I would love to see an IR port like my Tungsten had on more devices, for that purpose (Since the only remotes I own that actually are Bluetooth are my Wiimotes)

danramos
2009-08-20, 20:35
A great easter egg would be a built-in game of pong that used the accelerometer to make you RUN AROUND to hit the ball. You thought people throwing their wiimotes into their TV's was bad...! ;)

Milhouse
2009-08-20, 20:48
The IR on my Palm Tungsten E was Very usable as a remote, all the way across a decent sized house. I really miss that. (The software the I used on it, NoviiRemote or some such, also let it learn from other remotes and had an ok default library of codes for major brands' devices)

It was possible to fake Consumer IR (CIR) on some IrDA devices such as Palms (ie. hack the IrDA transmitter using direct register access to command it to operate at the extremely slow and non-standard 40-baud rate used by CIR), but this was definitely the exception to the rule. I tried NoviiRemote and also Omni Remote on my Tungsten and while it would control my TV which was only ~7m away it wasn't reliable, and both applications were pretty ropey anyway (certainly not worth paying for IMHO).

I would love to see an IR port like my Tungsten had on more devices, for that purpose (Since the only remotes I own that actually are Bluetooth are my Wiimotes)

I think it CIR could have it's uses, but if I'm being honest I think touchscreen based remote controls are a complete nightmare and totally over-rated - who doesn't fumble around for the remote control in the dark while lying on the sofa? How's that going to work out when the remote control is just one big finger sensitive touchscreen? :)

That's why I like the Harmony One - it has a ton of hard buttons, I just have to be careful to avoid the small touchscreen (which does have it's uses!) when groping around for it...

qole
2009-08-20, 21:09
Just make sure your remote control software has a nice bright theme, and it will be better than most remotes, because it will be nice and bright in the dark room.

I use the screen of my N800 all the time as a kind of flashlight to find my way around dark rooms.

benny1967
2009-08-20, 21:32
...but if I'm being honest I think touchscreen based remote controls are a complete nightmare and totally over-rated - who doesn't fumble around for the remote control in the dark while lying on the sofa? How's that going to work out when the remote control is just one big finger sensitive touchscreen? :)

That's why I like the Harmony One - it has a ton of hard buttons, I just have to be careful to avoid the small touchscreen (which does have it's uses!) when groping around for it...

:D

And now what's the difference between an remote control and a phone when you're in the dark on the sofa (watching TV! it's all while watching TV!)?

Hardware buttons are your friends, no matter what device.

danramos
2009-08-20, 21:37
Just make sure your remote control software has a nice bright theme, and it will be better than most remotes, because it will be nice and bright in the dark room.

I use the screen of my N800 all the time as a kind of flashlight to find my way around dark rooms.

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one that does that. :)

gerbick
2009-08-20, 22:26
iTunes integration.

qole
2009-08-20, 22:29
Think bigger! iPhone App Store integration (via iPhone OS emulation layer)!

sachin007
2009-08-20, 22:30
iTunes integration.

eeks who the hell would want itunes integration?

Drag and drop > itunes...

Markosib
2009-08-21, 04:00
To be able to hook it to an LCD would be great, and thus turn it into a full fledged computer!

I rekon this is the future of mobile computing! Screens are everywhere & your computer is in your pocket (but limited by screen size for serious computing)! Connect and compute. And the connection oughta be wireless...USB, BT,WiFi, et al. Initially I suppose with a dongle on the screen side. Nokia have been workin on summit lyk this...but cant remember where i saw it!

ysss
2009-08-21, 04:46
@qole: most media remotes are targeted for dark room operation though.. you wouldn't want to be blinded by your remote ;)

@sachin: you can do drag&drop operations on itunes as well, but the reason that many other media managers copy itunes is the additional functoins it provide.

daveb70
2009-08-21, 05:00
I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one that does that. :)

Shyah! It's the best and brightest I have. The cell does okay, the BB better, but a nice browser homepage on the N800 for preventing toe damage after leaving the desktop- no need for an LED keychain. Good thing there isn't a 120v 2-prong plug on the tablet or I'd buy a 6-pack o' NITs and use them around the house. I jest...don't I?

I doubt the new device will have IR of any sort, but that'd be my pick for an Easter egg choice. If NFC would have significant value in our lives in the "right now", I'd be up for that too. Last I checked no magical NFC grocery store opened up near me.

sachin007
2009-08-21, 05:04
@qole: most media remotes are targeted for dark room operation though.. you wouldn't want to be blinded by your remote ;)

@sachin: you can do drag&drop operations on itunes as well, but the reason that many other media managers copy itunes is the additional functoins it provide.

Oh ok.. but my first experience was very bad. I was trying to add some songs from my laptop into a friend's ipod and it said that it had to sync the ipod to my laptop..... which meant that all the songs in the ipod would be replaced by the songs in my laptop. I was surprised and assumed that there would be some other way to just add a few of my songs... i was so frustrated that i swore i will never use it again.!

new004lagmaster
2009-08-21, 05:21
Looking through the pictures I would like to add 2 more things that could be cool easter eggs: a return of the fm reviser for auto tuning the fm transmitter, and thermal sensitive back and menu button.

vkv.raju
2009-08-21, 07:27

Well, Sachin probably meant drag and drop without any needs of itunes or similar such software.

Milhouse
2009-08-21, 07:28
Contactless/inductive charging would be great - particularly as the RX-51 will probably need charging every day.

nowave7
2009-08-21, 07:30
Nokia Maps and Nokia Ovi runs on the RX-51.

Nice for a start I guess. We'll see some more Nokia developed apps in the future, I hope. Not that many on previous tablets.

nowave7
2009-08-21, 07:52
I rekon this is the future of mobile computing! Screens are everywhere & your computer is in your pocket (but limited by screen size for serious computing)! Connect and compute. And the connection oughta be wireless...USB, BT,WiFi, et al. Initially I suppose with a dongle on the screen side. Nokia have been workin on summit lyk this...but cant remember where i saw it!

Even with a simple TV-out as already exists on N-series phones, it would be a great thing, if one could change the screen resolution, which should not be a big problem, since there will be a proper graphics driver this time. This really sounds too good to be true :D

zehjotkah
2009-08-21, 08:29
Even with a simple TV-out as already exists on N-series phones, it would be a great thing, if one could change the screen resolution, which should not be a big problem, since there will be a proper graphics driver this time. This really sounds too good to be true :D

The N900 also have TV-Out with cable...

nowave7
2009-08-21, 08:34
The N900 also have TV-Out with cable...

Must have overlooked it then. But in that case it would be necessary to be able to change the resolution to suit the external display. Or even better have a possibility of a dual display of some sort.

volt
2009-08-21, 10:58
That's because (...) but Consumer IR could be an interesting addition and would give the RX-51 something the opposition lacks, although I doubt it would ever replace my Harmony One.

I never suggested that it should have IrDA... :B Of course it should be spec'ed for using as a remote. That Nokia was.

Personally I have passed on the Harmony One, because of the lack of hardware colour keys. I have the 525.

volt
2009-08-21, 11:03
A great easter egg would be a built-in game of pong that used the accelerometer to make you RUN AROUND to hit the ball.

Omg, that would totally rock. Imagine me, bored while waiting to go home at the horses grazing lands. Running around, waving that thing. The horses would totally go WTF. Not to mention the stable girls.

volt
2009-08-21, 11:08
Hardware buttons are your friends, no matter what device.

+1

Also, touch screens on a remote doesn't work quite that well if you live with someone who will sit on the damned thing to hog it.

gerbick
2009-08-21, 11:18
eeks who the hell would want itunes integration?

Drag and drop > itunes...

A person that's actually bought music perhaps?

Drag and drop is much inferior, time consuming. I'm not as OCD as I was while younger. Or when I had more time to hand type everything in, either.

So either iTunes or Zune integration. I have both. The rest... have fun typing.

gerbick
2009-08-21, 11:20
Oh ok.. but my first experience was very bad. I was trying to add some songs from my laptop into a friend's ipod and it said that it had to sync the ipod to my laptop..... which meant that all the songs in the ipod would be replaced by the songs in my laptop. I was surprised and assumed that there would be some other way to just add a few of my songs... i was so frustrated that i swore i will never use it again.!

Quite funny how just a few moments of reading would have remedied that bad experience.

When in doubt, use Yamipod if you're synchronizing with a machine that's not yours.

I'm not singling you out, sachin007, I just find it somewhat laughable that people just really chalk up their bad experiences as something universal. It's not. Just a moment of research and a ton of these situations could be avoided.

volt
2009-08-21, 13:04
Bad experiences with itunes is not universal, but it is common.

gerbick
2009-08-21, 18:22
Bad experiences with itunes is not universal, but it is common.

So are bad experiences with: MS Windows, Apple OS X, Linux, zippers, popcorn and puppy dogs.

Not having an informed approach to any of the above can prove to be problematic for anybody.

volt
2009-08-21, 20:12
So are bad experiences with: MS Windows, Apple OS X, Linux, zippers, popcorn and puppy dogs.

Not having an informed approach to any of the above can prove to be problematic for anybody.

When my sister got an iPod, there was no printed information with it. She did not understand why it could not do what all her other music players could do - just connect and then transfer music.

timsamoff
2009-08-21, 20:15
I bought a box of Milk Duds the other day and boy was I angry when all of that caramel got stuck in my teeth.

Tim

zerojay
2009-08-21, 20:18
iTunes annihilation

danramos
2009-08-21, 21:54

Hell.. I have bad experiences just using this forum to wr!+3_m7ds8boihclfhlsd

daperl
2009-08-21, 23:22
Back to the remote control talk.

For sh*ts and giggles I ported my stuff to the iPod touch. Nothing has been the same since the removal of the d-pad, but it works fine. Here's a screen shot:

mullf
2009-08-22, 01:16
If you slide out the keyboard and twist it firmly, a set of additional keys will magically appear so you can write in languages other than english. (Most languages need more characters=keys.)

Also, a D-pad plus a menu-key will appear to the left of the screen.

How about a second level of pull-out keyboard (i.e. a double-decker keyboard) comes out from beneath the keyboard adding a couple more rows of keys and a D-pad.

Benson
2009-08-23, 14:03
The FM transceiver can be switched to NFM in the 2m ham band -- good for phone and various data modes, but especially APRS. There's an SMB jack under one of the covers somewhere, so you can hook up an external antenna and maybe an amplifier.

(FWIW, ham transmitters, unlike transmitters for most (all?) other services, don't need to be certified with the FCC -- the only "proof" that this isn't it is the absence of support in the public datasheets. But maybe Nokia has commissioned a super-secret variant with extended range...)

Seriously, while I'm well aware of the practical issues preventing a future tablet from having interchangeable/optional radio modules, it would be incredibly awesome. Hams could have 2m, 1.25m, and/or 70cm cards, and non-hams could go for FRS/LPD433/PMR446 cards.

zerojay
2009-08-23, 14:14
A person that's actually bought music perhaps?

Drag and drop is much inferior, time consuming. I'm not as OCD as I was while younger. Or when I had more time to hand type everything in, either.

So either iTunes or Zune integration. I have both. The rest... have fun typing.

Uh... since when does anyone need to do any typing when dragging and dropping? wtf

benny1967
2009-08-23, 14:46
How about a second level of pull-out keyboard (i.e. a double-decker keyboard) comes out from beneath the keyboard adding a couple more rows of keys and a D-pad.

Good idea. That would also provide space for all the other characters I use regularly, especially French and Turkish characters.

Plus, two keyboards could be folded to form a hard cover... :D

gerbick
2009-08-24, 10:10
Has inductive charging been mentioned yet?

zerojay
2009-08-24, 10:42
No, but I still want to understand how "drag and drop" means "a lot of typing" to you.

deadmalc
2009-08-24, 11:56
Speaking of video out... Another great surprise would be a projector! :D

well peter has already confirmed that it doesn't have a 3D holographic projector :-(

deadmalc
2009-08-24, 12:02
+1

Also, touch screens on a remote doesn't work quite that well if you live with someone who will sit on the damned thing to hog it.

Easy to solve just need a taser expansion pack?

ssh user@n910.me

# /usr/local/bin/fry_the_fu*

allnameswereout
2009-08-24, 12:53
Hmm, if you screw it open, there is a second SIM card compartment hidden. Once you open it you find fridged LSD blotter saying "made in Berkeley".

sjgadsby
2009-08-24, 12:54
well peter has already confirmed that it doesn't have a 3D holographic projector

Bah, even my N800 had that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84SWBlk_me8#t=3m25s). (Bad video is still bad.)

EDIT: Link updated. Thanks, ColdFusion! I didn't know YouTube allowed linking to specific points on timelines now. Is keen, though what happened to SMIL...

ColdFusion
2009-08-24, 13:23
Bah, even my N800 had that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84SWBlk_me8). (Jump to 3:25. Bad video is still bad.)
try deep linking ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84SWBlk_me8#t=3m25s

Red
2009-08-24, 14:01
Even with Nokia build quality, this would still be useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MZmmv6h5oo&feature=player_embedded

qole
2009-08-24, 16:43
sjgadsby:

Sadly, my child has been conditioned to be drawn to my tablet the way yours were drawn to the laptop in your video. Now, when I pull it out on a canoe trip to check that the GPS is on, my daughter calls, "Daddy, can I watch something?"

timwatt
2009-08-24, 17:18
Well the same is true of my kids, infarct my n810 yesterday presented the first day I can no longer get touch screen assess. i believe this is a direct result of the love/abuse my kids show to my n810.

hence i need a replacement ASAP.

an Ester Egg for me would be a built in abuse alarm, with time capsule that could preempt the abuse by 2 mints.

Paxicide
2009-08-26, 20:22
Has an unrestricted version of Skype w- Video been mentioned yet?

danramos
2009-08-26, 21:13
Well the same is true of my kids, infarct my n810 yesterday presented the first day I can no longer get touch screen assess. i believe this is a direct result of the love/abuse my kids show to my n810.

hence i need a replacement ASAP.

an Ester Egg for me would be a built in abuse alarm, with time capsule that could preempt the abuse by 2 mints.

This goes back to my 'an app to order extra styluses'.. a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that the company should support consumers with the ability to buy parts so we can pay someone locally to fix it, or fix it ourselves if we feel so bold.

God--what a glorious easter egg it would be if the device automatically detected damage and automatically sent you an email with a link to order a new part. :)

nwerneck
2009-08-26, 21:34
This goes back to my 'an app to order extra styluses'.. a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that the company should support consumers with the ability to buy parts so we can pay someone locally to fix it, or fix it ourselves if we feel so bold.

God--what a glorious easter egg it would be if the device automatically detected damage and automatically sent you an email with a link to order a new part. :)

Sure, I am imagining myself playing chess with my N900 using voice commands, and then suddenly it says "Just a moment. Just a moment. I've just picked up a fault in the AE-35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours." Then I get my EVA suit and... well, you know how the story goes. :)

danramos
2009-08-26, 21:42
Sure, I am imagining myself playing chess with my N900 using voice commands, and then suddenly it says "Just a moment. Just a moment. I've just picked up a fault in the AE-35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours." Then I get my EVA suit and... well, you know how the story goes. :)

HAL was just misunderstood. Stupid users. :)

dormant
2009-08-26, 22:12
A bottle opener.

attila77
2009-08-26, 22:23
A bottle opener.

That's not an easter egg, the new kickstand is a bottle opener by design.

aironeous
2009-08-26, 22:36
Omg, that would totally rock. Imagine me, bored while waiting to go home at the horses grazing lands. Running around, waving that thing. The horses would totally go WTF. Not to mention the stable girls.
I was thinking that someone should make a "you sunk my battleship" but on a 5 mile or ten mile wide grid requiring atleast 4 people that uses the gps.

danramos
2009-08-26, 22:36
That's not an easter egg, the new kickstand is a bottle opener by design.

I love it already!

aironeous
2009-08-26, 23:02
Stantum multi touch. A breathalyzer and corresponding drinking/clubbing profile that auto switches on and tests me every hour if it gps detects I'm in a club or bar which increasingly makes it bigger font and requires double then triple tap as alcohol content gets higher.
Just kidding, but not about the stantum.

sarahn
2009-09-01, 01:06
I'd love to see a docking station for this baby.

To me, ability to hookup a hi-res monitor and keyboard when I'm in the office, and have the desktop in my pocket when I'm away would be a killer. I'd make this my primary computer !

Picoprojector in it would be also a killer.

I'm not sure how well a USB-VGA dongle will work, but if so then it should be easy to make a "docking station" - have a USB hub that you plug in when you get to work. Keyboard and mouse should work out of the box with full X. Also with full X, I don't know that much but a different desktop / window manager should be doable if someone ports it.

Alternatively you can use x11vnc today. I am glad they are making a way to make the mouse cursor visible. That also suggests to me they are planning something beyond a touchscreen. Perhaps a bundled x11vnc server and desktop app?

Beagleboard has a DVI port out but n900 is probably using this for the touchscreen; I haven't looked. If there was an external DVI connector then perhaps it would be possible to switch between the two.

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-01, 01:23
Beagleboard has a DVI port out but n900 is probably using this for the touchscreen; I haven't looked. If there was an external DVI connector then perhaps it would be possible to switch between the two.

There are two framebuffers on the OMAP3430 and OMAP3530. The primary XGA framebuffer which is used to drive the DVI-D port on the Beagle and the display on the N900 and the secondary VGA framebuffer which is used for TV-out on both devices.

sarahn
2009-09-01, 06:40
There are two framebuffers on the OMAP3430 and OMAP3530. The primary XGA framebuffer which is used to drive the DVI-D port on the Beagle and the display on the N900 and the secondary VGA framebuffer which is used for TV-out on both devices.

Yes, I figured the n900 was using the same port as DVI for the beagleboard. To my knowledge that does not rule out the possibility of switching to an external DVI connector, though both could not be used at the same time.

McLightning
2009-09-03, 10:14
packet injection support by wireless driver?

allnameswereout
2009-09-03, 17:55
A lighter! Oh wait, I'm confusing brands now.

sachin007
2009-09-03, 17:57
Did you guys already know that the n900 has haptic touch? That was something new to me when i was watching the videos!

Nice. I like haptic touch!

ysss
2009-09-03, 18:00
I didn't like the haptic feedback on Samsung er.. I think one of the Omnias. I thought it was overdone and sort of pointless. But I'll have to wait and try N900's implementation of it.

sachin007
2009-09-03, 18:02
I didn't like the haptic feedback on Samsung er.. I think one of the Omnias. I thought it was overdone and sort of pointless. But I'll have to wait and try N900's implementation of it.

Of course this is nokia.... you can always turn it off :D

yerga
2009-09-03, 18:07
Did you guys already know that the n900 has haptic touch? That was something new to me when i was watching the videos!

Nice. I like haptic touch!

And where can I see those videos?

ysss
2009-09-03, 18:11
I don't know what you're implying, but Samsung's can be turned off too.

qole
2009-09-03, 19:26
Yes, sorry I didn't mention the haptic touch thing in my article. I turned it off right away for similar reasons to ysss (bzzt! bzzt! every time you touch the screen!), but I've been told that the implementation is constantly improving, and the final version may be enjoyable to use.

ysss
2009-09-03, 19:41
Yeah, the skins on the tip of my fingers still work. So I don't need constant reminder that it's touching the screen.

What it needs to 'feel' though, are the (graphic) elements on screen that I can only see but not 'touch': Boundaries of screen elements.. widgets, borders, buttons, and whatnot. But I think there has to be a sense of directionality for this to be useful.

qole
2009-09-03, 19:46
That would be nice; a little haptic "bump" when you reach the end of a list or try to drag something past a hard boundary, for example.

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-04, 05:09
Yes, sorry I didn't mention the haptic touch thing in my article. I turned it off right away for similar reasons to ysss (bzzt! bzzt! every time you touch the screen!), but I've been told that the implementation is constantly improving, and the final version may be enjoyable to use.

Works really well on my 5800. Very subtle, just enough to tell you it saw the touch. Think one or two rotations of the vibra motor.

mobiledivide
2009-09-04, 05:54
There is a nice sensitivity adjustment for the haptic on the 5800 which I have adjusted to the lowest setting, I would hope that there is one on the n900. Once you get used to it its hard to use a non vibration screen, part of the reason I hate typing on my iPod touch.

Works really well on my 5800. Very subtle, just enough to tell you it saw the touch. Think one or two rotations of the vibra motor.

Jaffa
2009-09-04, 07:45
The thing which annoyed me about the N900's bzzt (and the screen clicks on any other Maemo device) is that they always go off when you touch the screen, whether you've touched an element which does something or not.

So, as a feedback indicator it's useless: it tells me my touch had been registered. Fine, but the N900's screen is so sensitive, I don't have any concerns it wouldn't be. What I'm interested in is has my touch been picked up as doing what I wanted to do.

thecursedfly
2009-09-04, 07:57
The thing which annoyed me about the N900's bzzt (and the screen clicks on any other Maemo device) is that they always go off when you touch the screen, whether you've touched an element which does something or not.

So, as a feedback indicator it's useless: it tells me my touch had been registered. Fine, but the N900's screen is so sensitive, I don't have any concerns it wouldn't be. What I'm interested in is has my touch been picked up as doing what I wanted to do.

If I understood correctly, I don't really see the problem :p
If you touched at a certain spot (where you really want), and it registered your touch, it's sure that you'll get what you clicked for... I think its purpose is exactly that: tell the user that the click has been registered or not, to avoid him waiting like "is the application launching a bit slowly or didn't it register my touch?". Good that the sensibility of the screen is high, but a feedback like that is always useful imho.
If you test touching on points where it does nothing, then it's exactly that, a test; its target is real use where you're supposed to know where you're touching. :)
Anyway, I'm speaking having never used a Maemo device, so may just be assumptions.

benny1967
2009-09-04, 07:59

very interesting thought. - could this be done on an OS level so it automagically works for all applications? (or at least applications that use the standard gtk/hildon framework - same way text input handled?)

or would the application have to provide a clue that this was an active element and will trigger an event?

What I'm interested in is has my touch been picked up as doing what I wanted to do.

there's no way - currently ;) - the N900 can tell what you wanted to do :D
(although i have to agree that this would be the ideal UI)

Jaffa
2009-09-04, 08:20
If I understood correctly, I don't really see the problem :p
If you touched at a certain spot (where you really want), and it registered your touch, it's sure that you'll get what you clicked for... I think its purpose is exactly that: tell the user that the click has been registered or not, to avoid him waiting like "is the application launching a bit slowly or didn't it register my touch?".

Right, but it's not registering a click, it's registering a touch. Some UI elements are still quite small (checkboxes in a web page, links etc.); sometimes your touch might be misinterpreted as a drag event (which doesn't do anything on a button). I'm glad that when you touch the screen you know you've hit what you want, but that doesn't correspond to my experience.

Anyway, I'm speaking having never used a Maemo device, so may just be assumptions.

Have you ever used any mobile device on the move (say a plane, train, standing still after a raucous Nokia World party)? ;-)

Jaffa
2009-09-04, 08:22
very interesting thought. - could this be done on an OS level so it automagically works for all applications? (or at least applications that use the standard gtk/hildon framework - same way text input handled?)

It certainly could be done at the framework level for "normal" UIs. Anything which did anything a bit differently (web browser being the prime example) would have to trigger it manually (checkboxes, buttons and links on web sites would be fantastic).

or would the application have to provide a clue that this was an active element and will trigger an event?

The app usually gives those hints to the framework anyway, e.g. so a button can be rendered as disabled.

benny1967
2009-09-04, 08:44
Have you ever used any mobile device on the move (say a plane, train, standing still after a raucous Nokia World party)? ;-)

most of us have - and without any problems. because mobile device (=devices made to be used on the move) are non-touchscreen and their buttons do have "built-in" tactile feedback. ;)

Jack6428
2009-09-04, 13:28
any chance the easter-egg will be a Magnetometer? some people say it has one, some say it doesnt..and from all the videos online, nobody really showed the GPS..so im wondering..if it doesnt have it, i will be a bit dissapointed...coz i really want to get the n900..and i guess it cant be added via FW, right?

Jaffa
2009-09-04, 14:21
any chance the easter-egg will be a Magnetometer? some people say it has one

Who's saying it has one?

nobody really showed the GPS

From what I've seen of the GPS, it doesn't have a super-secret compass display, so that's not why people aren't showing it. Just that Ovi Maps is boring to all these long-term Nokia bloggers who've seen it before on S60.

Of course, I may have missed it.

Jack6428
2009-09-04, 14:34
Who's saying it has one?

From what I've seen of the GPS, it doesn't have a super-secret compass display, so that's not why people aren't showing it. Just that Ovi Maps is boring to all these long-term Nokia bloggers who've seen it before on S60.

well, one reviewer who was testing the device on one czech mobile site (and wrote 3 articles about it), when i asked him wheter it has an accelerometer and a magnetometer, told me this:

Polohové čidlo a elektromagnetický kompas má.
In English:
Yes, it has a position sensor and an electromagnetic compass.

So, that's why i ask...

attila77
2009-09-04, 15:51
There is a fair amount of reviewers who can't tell the exact delineation between accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses and GPS. The unit most likely WILL show a heading (even the N810 does that), but that does not automatically imply the presence of a compass (the heading can be GPS/inertial based). Adding to the confusion is that many high-end devices do have compasses so people say 'the N97 has it, iPhone 3GS has it, then this one has to have it too, right ?'

ColdFusion
2009-09-04, 16:06
just point the camera at the sun and it'll compute based on the local time and gps position where north is ;)

ysss
2009-09-04, 16:08
@jack6428: have you got an url.. so we get a better idea what the reviewer is like. rather than having people making blind assumptions about him..

Jack6428
2009-09-04, 16:22
@jack6428: have you got an url.. so we get a better idea what the reviewer is like. rather than having people making blind assumptions about him..

sure, i do...but its in Czech (the articles)..the reply i got from him was in comments..anyway, the 3 articles (arranged from oldest to newest):

http://www.mobilmania.cz/clanky/nokia-n900-premiera-linuxoveho-tabletu/sc-3-a-1123211/default.aspx

http://www.mobilmania.cz/clanky/nokia-n900-linuxova-primadona-podrobne/sc-3-a-1123219/default.aspx

http://www.mobilmania.cz/clanky/nokia-n900-audience-u-finskeho-krale-video/sc-3-a-1123259/default.aspx

bobby68
2009-09-04, 18:45
Who's saying it has one?

This is a video with Nokia's nordic product chief, Linus Brohult - he clearly says, in the end, that the N900 has a digital compass.

http://tv.mediaprovider.se/?id=1252065242875

zehjotkah
2009-09-04, 18:46
This is a video with Nokia's nordic product chief - he clearly says, in the end, that the N900 has a digital compass.

http://tv.mediaprovider.se/?id=1252065242875

at 6:15 min

ysss
2009-09-04, 18:47
@bobby68: my swedish may be rusty, but didn't he say "This is an almost perfect product, if not for the lack of digital compass." ?

jk :)

zehjotkah
2009-09-04, 18:48
@bobby68: my swedish may be rusty, but didn't he say "This is an almost perfect product, if not for the lack of digital compass." ?

where is the anti-thanks button??? jk, too ;-) xD

ysss
2009-09-04, 18:51
dang, it doesn't work as well at the top of the screen.

@zehjotkah: lol.. well i guess we all know what the easter egg is now.

bobby68
2009-09-04, 18:53

Nope. He says:

"you have the usual navigation, you have digital compass and a-gps with triangulation"

And I hope HE is not kidding...! :)

Jack6428
2009-09-04, 21:59
so was i right? it has a digital compass/magnetometer? :D

Bundyo
2009-09-04, 22:47
Right, but it's not registering a click, it's registering a touch. Some UI elements are still quite small (checkboxes in a web page, links etc.); sometimes your touch might be misinterpreted as a drag event (which doesn't do anything on a button).

That's not exactly true. The drag is on OS level event and on most OSes a drag is interpreted as click if the drag end is still inside the button. Of course if the buttons are really small you're going to leave them anyway on Nxx0.

qole
2009-09-04, 23:25
If the N900 has a digital compass, it is definitely the Easter Egg.

I saw no sign of it anywhere in any of the apps, only an impressive, system-wide use of the GPS to add location to everything, including geotagging photos, etc.

sachin007
2009-09-04, 23:27

I saw no sign of it anywhere in any of the apps, only an impressive, system-wide use of the GPS to add location to everything, including geotagging photos, etc.

Does the gps work indoors also. If the gps signal is not enough will it geotag atleast with the co-ordinates using the skyhook system?

Thanks

nashith
2009-09-05, 06:53
How about a PCI-Express Card slot or SDIO??

bobby68
2009-09-05, 07:19

No, but there aint no signs in the N97 either, so that's not an indicator.

A small sign COULD be in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msl4m0xoV0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmaemotalk.com%2F&feature=player_embedded

When he is showing the map, there IS a compass, down to the left. It's pointing north, just as the N97, when it's not calibrated...

So...?

zehjotkah
2009-09-05, 07:43
No, but there aint no signs in the N97 either, so that's not an indicator.

A small sign COULD be in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msl4m0xoV0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmaemotalk.com%2F&feature=player_embedded

When he is showing the map, there IS a compass, down to the left. It's pointing north, just as the N97, when it's not calibrated...

So...?

mmmhh... nice find, but i think, that compass only shows, that the maps is orientated to the north, and not to the driving direction.

NvyUs
2009-09-05, 07:45
some one will need to create a compass app so we can use compass by itself.
n97 never had a dedicated stand alone app either it was only accesable via nokia maps then some one made the app

bobby68
2009-09-05, 07:52
mmmhh... nice find, but i think, that compass only shows, that the maps is orientated to the north, and not to the driving direction.

But why? Off course north is up, when not navigating.
Only if the map can rotate, again when not navigating, it's necessary to show the direction to north. Can it rotate...?

bobby68
2009-09-05, 07:55
n97 never had a dedicated stand alone app either it was only accesable via nokia maps then some one made the app

That's not true, there are infact atleast two dedicated 3rd party stand alone apps that shows the direction from the compass - "N97 Compass" and "Compass".

Edit: Yeah okay - "Then someone made the app..."
And I'm pretty shure that someone will do the same for N900, if it have that digital compass.

NvyUs
2009-09-05, 07:56
the job of a compass is always to point true north not to point the direction your driving, the compass will always keep your maps pointing correct way they will rotate round as you move so north on map will be true north. heres video to give you idea how maps self correct to north using compass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_lDvV2ks4
remember map view is different for navigation so you always be rotated to way your driving

bobby68
2009-09-05, 08:00
the job of a compass is always to point true north not to point the direction your driving, the compass will always keep your maps pointing correct way they will rotate round as you move so north on map will be true north. heres video to give you idea how maps self correct to north using compass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_lDvV2ks4
btw theres another arrow to show dirction your driving on your route

I know that, but when you are navigating (driving) there's no need for a compass, because gps signal knows where north is, and the map's up (usualy) points in the driving direction. Therefor and indicator pointing "north" is nice to have. And can be done very well without a digital compass, just by using the gps signal, when driving over a certain speed.

zehjotkah
2009-09-05, 08:01
But why? Off course north is up, when not navigating.
Only if the map can rotate, again when not navigating, it's necessary to show the direction to north. Can it rotate...?

i don't know. i had a program (i think it was wayfinder) that hat the option to select if the map will be always orientated to the north (north up) or in driving direction (what's in front of the car up).
it could be also an indication of a compass (i would love if it's so) and i don't know how it is solved in the n97.
i just wanted to say, that this compass-picture NOT NECESSARILY means, that the n900 does have a compass.
but i think, that it does have a compass. some hardware is similar to the n97. why not the compass, too?

ysss
2009-09-05, 08:03
Gps can tell of your direction when moving. It doesn't need a separate sensor, so it shouldn't be taken as conclusve evidence of the existance of one.

bobby68
2009-09-05, 08:04
i just wanted to say, that this compass-picture NOT NECESSARILY means, that the n900 does have a compass.

No that's true.
But this, AND the Nordic Product Manager, Linus Brohult saying that N900 has a digital compass...?

But no need to stress about it, we will know when it becomes october... :D

Nah, probably well before that! ;)

zehjotkah
2009-09-05, 08:11
No that's true.
But this, AND the Nordic Product Manager, Linus Brohult saying that N900 has a digital compass...?

But no need to stress about it, we will know when it's become october... :D

Nah, probably well before that!

but i think, that it does have a compass. some hardware is similar to the n97. why not the compass, too?

(post too short... just typing nonsense)

twaelti
2009-09-10, 07:38
I would say that based on the Irreco for N900 thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31399&page=2), the easter egg is the infrared port...
(Nice nice nice!)

frals
2009-09-10, 08:32
No that's true.

But no need to stress about it, we will know when it becomes october... :D

Nah, probably well before that! ;)

The thing to discredit his claim is he actually says the device got 1GB of RAM (not application memory but RAM, which is wrong ;)). Might just be a mistake saying RAM instead of app memory, but yeah...

Jack6428
2009-09-10, 10:20
I would say that based on the Irreco for N900 thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31399&page=2), the easter egg is the infrared port...
(Nice nice nice!)

hm, so we have 4 options what the easter-egg could be:

a) IR port
b) haptic display
c) 3D display
d) digital compass

hm...i hope it has all of those lol :D

dwould
2009-09-10, 10:25
hm, so we have 4 options what the easter-egg could be:

a) IR port
b) haptic display
c) 3D display
d) digital compass

hm...i hope it has all of those lol :D

Well it seems pretty clear that IR port is in, we've all seen it in the pictures, and IRRECO has been shown working on device using it.
That's not much of an easter egg... clearly visible on the outside...

I'd *love* 3d compass to be in there, though I'm not getting my hopes up. I think augmented reality apps are really going to take off in the next 12 months.

strank
2009-09-10, 11:47
a) IR port
b) haptic display
c) 3D display
d) digital compass

Don't forget:

e) FM receiver (in addition to the transmitter)

sachin007
2009-09-10, 13:59
The n97 specifications clearly say that it has a digital compass while the n900 does not. On the other case the n97 specs also says that it has fm radio receiver with rds but the n900 does not say it. And we already know that we are going to get fm radio receiver and infra red receiver even though they were mentioned ..... so i think it would be safe to assume that the digital compass is an easter egg along with the others!

joppu
2009-09-10, 14:17
The thing to discredit his claim is he actually says the device got 1GB of RAM (not application memory but RAM, which is wrong ;)). Might just be a mistake saying RAM instead of app memory, but yeah...

Well, it's technically not RAM, but it does the exact same thing (with speed hit though)

ysss
2009-09-10, 14:18
wow sachin, you're pretty productive today! you've set yourself up for so much disappointment this early already :D

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-09-10, 17:57
Hahahaha..

}X^D~

daperl
2009-09-10, 20:32
Can someone post the output of dmesg right after boot? Maybe something like the following:

dmesg -s 100000 > share_with_us
Maybe we'll learn something. Thanks in advance.

jayhule
2009-09-17, 04:01
Well everyone, been a lurker for a while and will introduce myself in the appropriate thread, but had to link to this article I read from mynokiablog.com a couple days ago. the link is below

long post with a lot of pictures but go all the way 2/3 the way down to #10- UI there is a picture of ovi maps....digital compass!? the author even mentions it as a feature that was never officially put in specs

http://tiny.cc/jNdE8

timsamoff
2009-09-17, 04:06
Sorry, but afaik, it's just a fancy directional UI gizmo that's tied to the GPS. I'd love to be wrong, but... I've been usig it and it doesn't work like a compass.

Tim

ysss
2009-09-17, 04:50
@timsamoff: maybe the easter egg is the digital compass driver that's only installed in the final release firmware ;D

ps: dang, it shows 11-panes in the task selection screen! is there any (hard coded) limit?

http://mynokiablog.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/12092009049.jpg?w=550&h=412

R-R
2009-09-17, 05:11
I've seen somewhere over 12 panes and you could actually scroll vertically with the finger!

daperl
2009-09-17, 05:16
ps: dang, it shows 11-panes in the task selection screen! is there any (hard coded) limit?

Your question is the Easter egg.

qole
2009-09-17, 18:14
Sorry, but afaik, it's just a fancy directional UI gizmo that's tied to the GPS. I'd love to be wrong, but... I've been usig it and it doesn't work like a compass.

Tim

It's actually a way to orient "North" and tilt the maps to give you a 3D view. That grid thing in the middle tilts the map, and you use your finger to drag the N around to wherever you want North to be. No compass!

Let's see if I can put his blog pics here:

http://mynokiablog.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/12092009088.jpg?w=550&h=412

In the next pics, he's hit the button in the middle and tilted the map into 3D mode:

http://mynokiablog.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/12092009090.jpg?w=550&h=412

joppu
2009-09-17, 18:30
The lack of digital compass is really a shame, it's like the only missing feature of otherwise perfect phone.

qole
2009-09-17, 18:38
Well, I also think that its lack of colour fax sending/receiving is quite disappointing. :(

UCOMM
2009-09-17, 18:40
Well, I also think that its lack of colour fax sending/receiving is quite disappointing. :(

well thats ********

my brother fax machine could do that in 1983

i think i'll have to hold off on my preorder now

joppu
2009-09-17, 18:43

But I was being serious ;)

Magnetometer can really help if you are navigating on foot.

Jack6428
2009-09-17, 18:48
But I was being serious ;)

yea, im really upset it doesnt have it...grr..the only thing i dont like about this phone

qole
2009-09-17, 18:56
A magnetometer would be nice, yes. But your statement was over-the-top. As nice as the N900 is, it isn't "an otherwise perfect phone". There isn't such a device.

joppu
2009-09-17, 19:03
A magnetometer would be nice, yes. But your statement was over-the-top. As nice as the N900 is, it isn't "an otherwise perfect phone". There isn't such a device.

I bought my N95 and I skipped
- N96 (carbon-copy of N95-8GB)
- iPhone(s) (Apple's nazism)
- XM8500 (mid-end phone)
- N97 (buggy software, hardware problems, poor GPS etc.)

So, in a sense this will be replacing my N95 and yes, I do consider N900 almost perfect. Only things I'm concerned are the battery life, limited use of portrait mode and lack of magnetometer.

nilchak
2009-09-17, 19:07
Has inductive charging been mentioned yet?

And then buy a separate inductive charger (http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3671707) for $70 ?

No thank you.

ciaomatteo
2009-09-17, 19:08
And it was just the other day when there was concern over the N95's battery life. Which reminds me, I need to replace mine.

qole
2009-09-17, 19:12
You'll all be fine without the magnetometer. Augmented reality would be cool, but seriously, I've never had too much trouble figuring out which way I'm facing when I'm using just a GPS.

There'll be lots of other toys to play with on the N900.

sjgadsby
2009-09-17, 19:20

Eh, better not to count on technology. I just remember that the moss grows thickest on the north side of Boy Scouts.

No, that's not right...

ysss
2009-09-17, 19:25
@joppu: just append "FOR ME" whenever you're appraising anything subjective here ;P

IE: The N900 is the perfect phone..... FOR ME!

Ovek
2009-09-17, 21:24
You'll all be fine without the magnetometer. Augmented reality would be cool, but seriously, I've never had too much trouble figuring out which way I'm facing when I'm using just a GPS.

There'll be lots of other toys to play with on the N900.

But it's the new "must have!!" bulletpoint on a smartphone's spec sheet ;)

Meh all this augmented reality stuff is pointless anyway that is unless your stalking someone from Twitter using Layar... ahem... and don't get me started on the gimmick of Google street view, I have eyes if i'm stood on the street I need to be on I think I can peel my eyes away from my phone for five seconds to look around.

That being said Google Skymap is cool and in very rare circumstances useful!

R-R
2009-09-17, 21:32
People haven't seen the "stand i a field and get points / distances overlayed on the camera to the next restaurant/shop/whatevet"-demo i guess...

You're not going to be guessing the north in the evening in a random place (no, no moss on the north of city building :P)

nilchak
2009-09-17, 21:32
Augmented reality would be cool

You mean cool like sort of this ... ?

http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341d3df553ef0120a584cd91970c-pi

Laughing Man
2009-09-17, 21:37
People haven't seen the "stand i a field and get points / distances overlayed on the camera to the next restaurant/shop/whatevet"-demo i guess...

You're not going to be guessing the north in the evening in a random place (no, no moss on the north of city building :P)

Yeah. That's what I find useful about it. Or the Wiki one. It isn't needed yet and granted you could do it manually (look up info yourself). But it's nice to have that ability.

attila77
2009-09-17, 23:12

If you don't see Sun, stars, moss or other boyscout methods, you still have the option of turning the GPS on and start walking. You should have (a rough estimate of) North after walking just 5-10 meters.

R-R
2009-09-17, 23:19
If you don't see Sun, stars, moss or other boyscout methods, you still have the option of turning the GPS on and start walking. You should have (a rough estimate of) North after walking just 5-10 meters.

But you're missing the point of AR... imagine sitting in a bar and bein able to tag the paintings on the wall or draw an arrow to indicate where the 2nd floor is for the future visit of friends...

qole
2009-09-18, 00:24
No, R-R, you're missing the point. I think we all agree, augmented reality is cool.

But you can figure out which way is which, even on a dark, cloudy night, in a barren, mossless land, without a magnetometer. You really only need the GPS for that.

Saying that the N900's wonderousness is ruined because it doesn't have a compass and therefore cannot perform AR functions is not entirely fair.

By the time AR software has matured enough to be really useful (and not just fun to watch in demos), the next Maemo device, which probably will include a magnetometer, will be on store shelves...

R-R
2009-09-18, 00:34
I agree that I don't need a device when/if I'm lost, at all...

I also agree that the next device should have it and that the current AR software are pretty bleeding eldge...

I never said it was ruining the n900 either, just that i'm very disapointed that a geek targeted device missed the oportunity to give the best target audience for AR the chance to develop news apps for it, giving it an instant advantage over others...

But, eh, step 4/5, it's going to be a great device, everyone is too emotional, i got mine pre-ordered anyway. ^_^

Laughing Man
2009-09-18, 00:40
By the time AR software has matured enough to be really useful (and not just fun to watch in demos), the next Maemo device, which probably will include a magnetometer, will be on store shelves...

Haha, maybe I should wait a year. ;)

My masters thesis in Human Factors Psychology that I am going be working on soon (just started the program August 31st) is in Virtual Reality. I also want to study Augmented Reality but I figure start with VR first then work my way there.

nilchak
2009-09-18, 00:41

While in practical terms I agree with that, but principally - aren'\ty you making excuses for it not having a magnetometer NOW ?

Personally I don't care either ways, but yes it does not have a magnetometer for the purposes it could be used for - so there it is.
The fact that the next device will have it is pure conjecture at this point of time (which you also said).

Laughing Man
2009-09-18, 01:04
The other problem with having it in a future device is then we have to pay another 600-700 for it. =P. Unless Nokia offers some trade-in plan (which I wouldn't mind). Or you sell it before it gets to outdated.

qole
2009-09-18, 06:20
...aren't you making excuses for it not having a magnetometer NOW ?

Nope. Just saying it's not a big deal. Really.

Weird that there's so much upset over a cutting edge feature like AR, and a legacy feature like MMS. I guess it's just emotional talk because everyone's so antsy to get the darned things into their eager hands.

frals
2009-09-18, 07:29
Nope. Just saying it's not a big deal. Really.

Weird that there's so much upset over a cutting edge feature like AR, and a legacy feature like MMS. I guess it's just emotional talk because everyone's so antsy to get the darned things into their eager hands.

Or... Users want these features, wheter they are cutting edge or legacy ;-)

attila77
2009-09-18, 09:30
Hey, even if it had those, we'd still be talking about portrait or capacitive (Drink ! Drink !).

range
2009-09-18, 10:28
and you use your finger to drag the N around to wherever you want North to be.

Yay, no more trips to the north pole! Have North directly in your front yard!

tomtom
2009-09-18, 10:54
would be very cool if easter egg was DAB(+) radio... afterall, nokia were toying with the idea a whiles back.

nilchak
2009-09-18, 17:31
Or... Users want these features, wheter they are cutting edge or legacy ;-)

I am not so sure users REALLY want those features (and my users I mean majority). I agree with Qole though - it may just be that we review and take to task any new product until we can get our hands on it.

Hey, its the only thing we can do now on the forums - have you seen how fast a churn there is on the Active Topics section on the right hand side ?
I am sure it will slow down a lot once people get time to play with the n900 and less time debating needed and not-so-needed feature lists.

bocaJ
2009-09-18, 19:32
Alright, so this is now 23 pages long, and I'll admit that I might have missed a few posts. That being said, did we get first or second hand confirmation from a Nokia Rep that this doesn't have a digital compass? I bring up hope because this review (http://mobilementalism.com/2009/09/14/hands-on-nokia-n900-review-the-best-nokia-smartphone-yet/) states:

The N900 uses Ovi Maps (formerly Nokia Maps), and its implementation is no different from any other implementation of Nokia's Mapping app. The N900 sports a compass and aGPS, though, and its power ensures that the mapping app is very fast. With all the storage space available, you can also download maps for on-board storage, which is useful if you're out of reach of a data connection.

(emphasis mine)

The review is dated the 14th fwiw.

Laughing Man
2009-09-18, 20:02
It seems the reference to that is accompanied with an image of Ovi Maps. The reviewer could have thought the compass was due to just the picture of a compass in Ovi Maps, but that doesn't mean the presence of a digital compass in the device's hardware.

attila77
2009-09-18, 20:07
Alright, so this is now 23 pages long, and I'll admit that I might have missed a few posts. That being said, did we get first or second hand confirmation from a Nokia Rep that this doesn't have a digital compass?

We did (http://www.nokiausers.net/General/Q-A-Session-with-Jussi-Makinen-on-the-N900-Maemo.html)

Q - Does the N900 have a Digital Compass?
A - No, the N900 does not have a Magnetometer(Digital Compass)

qole
2009-09-18, 21:16
Drink!

(hic!)

MountainX
2009-12-06, 21:09
and I skipped
- iPhone(s) (Apple's nazism)

With the hindsight of history, this has to be the most ironic commercial ever made :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ji0B98IMo&feature=PlayList&p=2545C7E4F3E829D7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14

Warhamstr
2010-08-29, 09:18
Uh, what was that vid from a wile ago? A Nokia guy shows us a very fast transfer technology by laying a N900 on a basestation, and share a shitload gig's in a few seconds!

Would N900 support USB an BT 3.0??

DeeGee
2010-08-29, 10:06
Well not having seen the video I'm just guessing, but maybe it was special prototype built from n900?

[edit] You mean this? That's pretty old news. http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/02/23/explore-and-share-nokia-shows-ultra-fast-wireless-data-transfer-concept/

Warhamstr
2010-08-29, 16:38
Oh yes its old news but we can't use that technic at this time! And it's a N900 no doubt bout that!