PDA

View Full Version : [VNC Viewer] N810 + Vista64pc + TightVNC = :)

JayOnThaBeat
2009-08-22, 18:56
///EDIT

THIS (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30976) thread gives step-by-step instructions on how to set up VNC and get it running with SSH.

luca
2009-08-22, 21:28
Not to hijack my own thread, but how necessary is setting up a VPN for VNC use? I don't have any national secrets on my pc, so should I bother?
Since the vnc protocol is unencrypted, it's relatively easy to sniff passwords (not only the vnc password but any password you type while using it).

And if so, can somebody let me know the best / easiest way to go about it (also keeping in consideration that I am rocking Vista64).

I don't know how easy it is under vista, under linux it's normally built in (you can make encrypted tunnels using ssh), under xp I install cygwin with its ssh server (and that's not really easy but it's well explained in some page findable by google).
There are some stand-alone ssh servers (usually they're just the cygwin one repackaged to be installed by itself) but I prefer the real thing.

Addison
2009-08-23, 20:40
I've got a super nifty program called UptoDate on my Windows XP computer.

Is it possible to view and operate this software using my N800 tablet?

Do I need to install rDesktop, VNC viewer or something else to make this happen?

I'm not sure what even the first step might be on this.

I've looked through the forums but without pictures I can't visualize exactly what you guys are doing here.