PDA

View Full Version : Are you buying the N900? (Quick poll)

ysss
2009-08-26, 17:10
As mentioned in the N900 Review thread, this is just a quick poll to quantify the current approximate reception (ie: hype) for the Nokia N900 :)

EDIT: Grrr, I can't edit the poll options. Should've added the 'Buy if price is reasonable' somewhere. Please clump that vote as 'Others' and post in the thread.

zerojay
2009-08-26, 17:12
...and there's no poll to be found.

There it is.. just making sure someone didn't forget, that's all. ;)

ysss
2009-08-26, 17:13
...and there's no poll to be found.

Apparently posting a poll is a 2 steps process here. The thread is started, then I'm presented with the poll construction screen right after that.

My apologies that I took more than 2 minutes preparing the options.

nilchak
2009-08-26, 17:14
How about buy if the price is right ?

I can't keep justifying my gadget fetish by buying $700 phones every 1 year ...
If price wasn't a factor, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Edit : that was the first vote as Other.

zerojay
2009-08-26, 17:17
I'll buy it if I can get a developer discount. It's just simply a cost issue for me... I really can't afford a big ticket item right now... but if I had the cash, it's a blind instant purchase for me.

timsamoff
2009-08-26, 17:33
I'll buy it if I can get a developer discount.
I was just gonna say this. :)

Tim

mrojas
2009-08-26, 17:39
I voted "Too early to tell. Don't know yet."

There are many factors to take in account:

- Nokia World announcements (other devices? Official price?).
- Availability.
- Early adopters almost always get screwed.
- The device itself (need to see it reviewed and in action).
- Related costs.
- And of course, alternatives (Apple tablet? Booklet?)

JayOnThaBeat
2009-08-26, 17:45
Other:

I'll buy it when the price goes down. I'll enjoy my N810 just fine until I can get a deal ;)

mikec
2009-08-26, 17:50
if the price is right

vkv.raju
2009-08-26, 17:54
I'll buy it if I can get a developer discount. It's just simply a cost issue for me... I really can't afford a big ticket item right now... but if I had the cash, it's a blind instant purchase for me.

How do I get a developer discount?? Are there any set of rules for that??

Except for the price:(, I am veryyyyyyyyy much into the device.

If someone is willing to do me a favor by getting one for me, I would be really thankful ;-):)

Texrat
2009-08-26, 17:56
I would certainly use it as a phone if it worked on AT&T's network decently and the price was right.

attila77
2009-08-26, 18:23
I'm also a 'price is right' other. I like it (albeit in a different way than a N810) but don't really have a budget for it if it's 500+ euros.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 18:23
texrat, I'm a huge gadget whore, and chose Nseries flagships for the last 4-5 years because nothing matched its features.I'd switch new devices every 4 months because of my rampant gadget whoredom. If this phone puts the Nseries lead back at a massive disparity in comparison with the competition, which is what has put many Symbianites off, I'm in, and will by the other Maemo device when it comes out too.

I'm currently not working a 9-5 right now, but I promise you, I'll hustle, scratch and steal to get the N900. Its what the N90 showed me could be possible, and the closest to a truly convergent device I've seen. All it needs now are a PiiPtv client, and I'm satisfied for at least 8 months, maybe more.

volt
2009-08-26, 18:24
These numbers must be considered quite good, when you take in account the number of disappointed vocal people in these threads.

ysss
2009-08-26, 18:28
@volt: Yep. I've played the devil's advocate (and apple fanboi) voice quite often in the thread, and even so, i voted "i'll buy one (no matter what)" cause I'm a gadgetwhore (gadgetjohn?) just like christexaport above :P

smackpotato
2009-08-26, 18:31
No. Price being the main reason. Satisfaction with the n810 is the other

Bulfaiter
2009-08-26, 18:35
I hope I'll get the chance to test drive it. My main concerns are battery life and synchronization with OS X. Let's see how they deal with that :)

Khertan

+1 (text for too short message warning.)

mrojas
If this phone puts the Nseries lead back at a massive disparity in comparison with the competition, which is what has put many Symbianites off.

I find myself unable to understand the reactions of Symbian fans to Maemo. I am a Symbian fan too, but in many places I have seen bile spewing like forest fires!

livefreeordie
2009-08-26, 18:40
I find myself unable to understand the reactions of Symbian fans to Maemo. I am a Symbian fan too, but in many places I have seen bile spewing like forest fires!

Really? Where?

eltinio
2009-08-26, 18:47
I will get it if the prices isn't insane under the 650 euro and I want to be able to buy an screen protector for it (luckily Brando is fast).

And if they don't explode ore fall apart within 60 seconds, but I'm not worried about that because it's an Nokia

fpp
2009-08-26, 18:50
Not itching right now... will wait for :

a) real-life reviews by trusted community members (not engadget etc. :-)

b) hard data on the local situation : availability, actual price... and whatever happens or not with the French telcos (as it's a phone, no ? :-)

sachin007
2009-08-26, 18:52
I guess you guys alredy know my answer!

I ll get it the first day. I am ready to switch to t-mobile and i am expecting to pay about 279 $ for it. I am going to sell my n810, n95-8gb and the extra batteries.

lemmyslender
2009-08-26, 19:04
I voted other. The poll seems to be weighted to people buying (first 3 choices), too early to tell, other as maybe, only 1 "no" choice. I would've liked to see a "not very likely" along with "I'm sure not".

So count my other as not very likely:
1) It's a phone! (Likely way too expensive unlocked, not willing to sign a 2 year contract to get an affordable price).
2) Screen is too small
3) UI seems to be too oriented to too flashy finger friendly for my taste. (No stylus keyboard)
4) Potential, however infinitesimal at this point, that there may be a real tablet in the future (larger screen, no cellular)

zerojay
2009-08-26, 19:07
So... um... ahem... how much money does sperm donation net you these days?

flareup
2009-08-26, 19:23
no buy.

i have a phone

i want a new (up to date) internet tablet.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 19:30

They pay for that now?? I've been donating to a select group of women for over 20 years! :p I was jipped!!

JayOnThaBeat
2009-08-26, 19:31
They pay for that now?? I've been donating to a select group of women for over 20 years! :p I was jipped!!

...just be glad you didn't get a different type of return on your investment :D

nwerneck
2009-08-26, 19:44

In the long run, that has the benefit of increasing the userbase of Nokia fans!... :)

Or not...? I'll start a poll. "Nokia taste: nature or nurture?"

On topic: I'm sure I won't buy it bacause the day I finish paying for my N800 I trust Nokia will be already releasing a new tablet, hopefuly cheaper and larger than the rx-51.

danramos
2009-08-26, 19:46
How do I get a developer discount?? Are there any set of rules for that??

Except for the price:(, I am veryyyyyyyyy much into the device.

If someone is willing to do me a favor by getting one for me, I would be really thankful ;-):)

You want these features.. you gotta pay. 'Course, you COULD go with the EXCLUSIVE telco that I'm sure Nokia will sell this through and get it for only just about the price of one of the previous Internet Tablets plus a 2 or 3-year contract... which, in the end, makes you pay over the long term a LOT more for this device than if you'd just outright purchased it.

Whoo! Free market*! (*except with contract) heh

I would certainly use it as a phone if it worked on AT&T's network decently and the price was right.

Awww.. that's cute, you want to choose your carrier. :)

I voted other. The poll seems to be weighted to people buying (first 3 choices), too early to tell, other as maybe, only 1 "no" choice. I would've liked to see a "not very likely" along with "I'm sure not".

So count my other as not very likely:
1) It's a phone! (Likely way too expensive unlocked, not willing to sign a 2 year contract to get an affordable price).
2) Screen is too small
3) UI seems to be too oriented to too flashy finger friendly for my taste. (No stylus keyboard)
4) Potential, however infinitesimal at this point, that there may be a real tablet in the future (larger screen, no cellular)

It appears, my friend, that we have similar opinions.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 19:47

Slow down a bit there, now! I assume you already have a phone, right? Wouldn't combining the two into one mean you save money on the new phone, and probably use it more since it will be with you nearly all of the time? So if you have, say, an E71 or 5800 and an N810, you could sell them all and get this instead, and wait for the RX-71 in the meantime. I'm a gadget whore, and having the most powerful device available is a necessity I feel totally entitled to, and even being unemployed, I EXPECT one of these things in my hands the week its released. It was that way with the N90, N80, N73, N93, N95, N95 8gb, E90, and E71. I have an N97 on its way after a 2 month trial, and will have this thing too, as long as my criminal exploits and blatant broad daylight robberies are successful. LOL!

Many Symbian flagship users have this same attitude, and the phone heads will take Maemo to the next level. A phone is WAY more important than a web tablet.

2) Screen is too small
THIS screen is small, but I think there will be bigger coming. I have to say, though, coming from Symbian, the N97's screen is enormous, and at 800x480, unlike anything I've seen! I would prefer a 4.1" screen, but I'm cool with 3.5".

It will have a stylus, and an onscreen keyboard, so I've been told. I think you should HOPE all tablets have a phone module built in for adoption purposes. Web tablets are projected as a 20 million device market annually at best, whereas smartphones will sell near 200 million this year alone! More sales mean cheaper prices, more apps, and a homogenation of the web tablet and smartphone, something no one else is even positioned to do.

gazza_d
2009-08-26, 19:49
Price will be the main factor in not getting one. I'll be surprised if here in the UK, it comes in at less than £450. I expect about £499 unlocked like the N97 at launch.

I'd also like a larger screen. the N800 and N810 have a nicely sized screen for me. Guess I'll be holding out for Mer then....

christexaport
2009-08-26, 19:49
everyone calls this a web tablet, but it really isn't anymore. This is a smartphone, pure and simple, and being that, its functions have been extended far into the market, something no web tablet could do on its own. So lets kill the tablet talk, because this is no more a web tablet than the N97, afaics.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 19:54
I notice the web tablet crowd is used to "free", and pretty cheap. I haven't paid less than $650 for a cellphone in nearly 5 years!

Cadabena
2009-08-26, 19:58
I'll buy it if my provider offer me a crazy contract like last time :D

geneven
2009-08-26, 20:02
These numbers must be considered quite good, when you take in account the number of disappointed vocal people in these threads.

Of course, the numbers should be good on a site devoted to Nokia. I would bet that many people who aren't buying wouldn't bother to fill in the poll. Most real people will wait to see reviews and what their friends say.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 20:03
I think its just the anger in Symbian's UI not progressing enough in the touchscreen version and Nokia's removal of GPUs and features lately. Most everyone from Symbian-Freak (a community of young uber geeks similar to this one, which I'm proudly a contributing member of) is happy about the N900, and I even had a member beg me to post an article about it even though it wasn't Symbian related. Symbianites know the power of Maemo, many of us already having had N770s and N800/810s, and see our two OSes as brothers.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 20:04

Well nothing works on at&t well around DFW, but you should really give TMO a shot. MUCH MUCH better, and more receptive to open devices. They'd be much bigger had Nokia supported the large contingent of N95 users back in 2007 instead of going with at&t. The N900 will help TMO surpass Sprint in a few years, and put the light on them for once.

Naranek
2009-08-26, 20:13
I probably shouldn't say this, but it really depends on the chances to get a bit larger device. I'm using my tablet a lot with a external keyboard and I'm having some doubts about the screen size. So if a bigger device is announced in near future I'll wait for that. Othervice N900 it is. On the other hand if the bigger device comes out after I have my N900 I'll be pissed as hell.

GeneralAntilles
2009-08-26, 20:14
I was just gonna say this. :)

I will laugh if Nokia launches this thing without any discount codes. I wish them the best of luck moving forward without their core community. :rolleyes:

lemmyslender
2009-08-26, 20:14
danramos - I believe we do :)

christexaport - as much as I'd like to have the latest greatest, (1) I have a family (2 kids) so I have a limited budget and (2) I don't need to pay extra $$ for features I don't want or need.

1) I would like to be able to upgrade to faster web service in the next couple years 4g/LTE as it becomes available, cheap cellphone = cheap upgrade.
2) There are many situations where I don't want/need a smartphone with all my data on it, where I can potentially lose/break it, again, cheap cellphone wins.
3) There are times where having 2 devices / 2 batteries is desirable (long airplane trip).

Additionally, I suspect battery life will be worse than current tablets due the extra juice needed for telephony features. I'd rather have longer battery life and more flexibility with 2 devices than a single device.

lemmyslender
2009-08-26, 20:18
Looking at the poll, if you count the last 3 options as provisional "no's", "maybe not's", or "only if's" it is currently 33 will buys and 33 maybe not's.

christexaport
I will laugh if Nokia launches this thing without any discount codes. I wish them the best of luck moving forward without their core community. :rolleyes:
Why does this community act as if Nokia is moving along without you? From an outside perspective, I see Nokia keeping a lid on things playing the media/PR game, and on September 2-3, maemo.org will be under the spotlight, and the maemo convention will be alot bigger than ever before.

Paxicide
If there is going to be a mature version of Skype with video then I am buying two N900's. :D

Den in USA
2009-08-26, 20:22
If there is going to be a mature version of Skype with video then I am buying two N900's. :D

Skye with video would get me to buy one.

Texrat
2009-08-26, 20:25
Well nothing works on at&t well around DFW, but you should really give TMO a shot.

Actually I have had outstanding service with AT&T in DFW and elsewhere on every phone I've used (all Nokias)...so...:confused:

GeneralAntilles
2009-08-26, 20:25
Why does this community act as if Nokia is moving along without you? From an outside perspective, I see Nokia keeping a lid on things playing the media/PR game, and on September 2-3, maemo.org will be under the spotlight, and the maemo convention will be alot bigger than ever before.

What use is any of this if a large portion of the core drivers of the community cannot afford to buy devices?

Texrat
2009-08-26, 20:29
What use is any of this if a large portion of the core drivers of the community cannot afford to buy devices?

That's a better question than I think many realize, especially for the US.

Wage deflation combined with severe cost of living increases over the past two years is killing the average American. It's tough now to pay for core necessities (and I don't include cell phones in that list) much less toys.

My current salary is now $20,000 less per year than I made last year. If my situation is in any way indicative of the general trend, then product retail costs must come down for this market to be viable. Not all of us are in the iStrata.

lemmyslender
2009-08-26, 20:34

Perhaps the people that can afford it and do buy it will become the new "core drivers" of the community??

Just because the current "core drivers" can't afford one doesn't mean the community will flounder and become useless! Certainly other people will pick up the slack. Particularly as we get the new influx of people everyone keeps talking about. *edit* Isn't that what open source is about? Others picking up where someone else left off?*

Or is it because some of the "core drivers" feel Nokia owes them for all the work they have previously put in? I always see "community supported" thrown around. I assumed that support was given freely, not in return for some expected payment?

zerojay
2009-08-26, 20:34
It's hard to stay motivated to develop for a piece of hardware you don't have in your hands. It's also FAR more difficult to debug... so.. yeah... it would be a problem.

Texrat
2009-08-26, 20:38
Perhaps the people that can afford it and do buy it will become the new "core drivers" of the community??

Sorry, but that's a trite and cavalier slap in the face, lemmy.

No one I know volunteered to get hit with the economic crisis we find ourselves in. I'd much rather be where I was last year: in the "sure, I can afford that, no problem" set.

EDIT: Maybe I also need to point out that the typical FOSS developer/advocate is young and probably at the lower end of pay scales? That odds are most people entering this community won't be able to pay the alleged price of this device?

For Nokia's sake, I hope that assumption is wrong.

danramos
2009-08-26, 20:39

Could it be because there's an increasing sense that Nokia hasn't proven to be the best at supporting its own community in the past? Unlike IBM, Red Hat or any number of other provably pro-community and pro-open contributors, Nokia hasn't really listened to their core community, customers, contributors and developers. It's already been covered before elsewhere so I won't bother going into a big ol' rant. :) ...but I can understand the generally crestfallen attitude that you're picking up on.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 20:40
christexaport - as much as I'd like to have the latest greatest, (1) I have a family (2 kids) so I have a limited budget and (2) I don't need to pay extra $$ for features I don't want or need.

1) I would like to be able to upgrade to faster web service in the next couple years 4g/LTE as it becomes available, cheap cellphone = cheap upgrade.
2) There are many situations where I don't want/need a smartphone with all my data on it, where I can potentially lose/break it, again, cheap cellphone wins.
3) There are times where having 2 devices / 2 batteries is desirable (long airplane trip).

Additionally, I suspect battery life will be worse than current tablets due the extra juice needed for telephony features. I'd rather have longer battery life and more flexibility with 2 devices than a single device.

You can always put those kids in commercials, to work in a sweat shop, or up for adoption. :p Seriously though, I think if you had the cash, you'd get it.

I want an LTE device, too, but I want an LTE network first. Egg before the chicken, basically. I change devices like socks and boxers, and couldn't imagine having the same device next year. That's why so many Symbianites are upset. Many of us change devices in short upgrade cycles of months rather than years, and Nokia has forced me and others to hold onto the N95 8gb far longer than we'd wished.

For file security, try Files on Ovi, and keep your files on your PC or in the cloud. I do it that way now, and its great. Too bad the phone book doesn't have a cloud component, and I feel you on that, but wouldn't losing the N810 give the same bad effect?

You make valid points which proves Nokia's plan to have many models is good to fit anyone's needs.

jonathandueck
2009-08-26, 20:42
I _am_ interested in a next-gen Nokia device. I like the openness and I think the UI and sync capabilities look pretty neat.

But the MSRP quoted is too rich for my blood. I'd rather have a device without a phone in it anyhow. So if there was a little brother (sort of an "iPod touch" to the N900's "iPhone," um, blasphemy etc.) in the $300-$400 range, I'd buy it.

-Jon

Texrat
2009-08-26, 20:43
I'm gonna beat the dead horse again:

PLEASE PUT OUT AN N800 REFRESH NOKIA.

geneven
2009-08-26, 20:44
Or is it because some of the "core drivers" feel Nokia owes them for all the work they have previously put in? I always see "community supported" thrown around. I assumed that support was given freely, not in return for some expected payment?

I don't think support should be given "freely", without expecting some kind of cooperation, from users and vendors alike. It's not like "core drivers" clicked a "trash your life" checkbox.

lardman
2009-08-26, 20:46
I wonder if a Nokian can comment about whether there will or won't be any dev discount devices?

christexaport
2009-08-26, 20:49
I think many fail to realize that Nokia will exploit Qt to the fullest, and the Qt community will be drawn here, as will some Symbian devs. Device price hasn't kept the N97 from attracting devs, and globally, good devs are still decently paid, and surely some code monkey out there can afford this thing as well.

Texrat
2009-08-26, 20:51
I think many fail to realize that Nokia will exploit Qt to the fullest, and the Qt community will be drawn here, as will some Symbian devs. Device price hasn't kept the N97 from attracting devs, and globally, good devs are still decently paid, and surely some code monkey out there can afford this thing as well.

We're talking FOSS here.

danramos
2009-08-26, 20:53

And that shall be my new slogan for the N900 tablet!

Sorry, but that's a trite and cavalier slap in the face, lemmy.

No one I know volunteered to get hit with the economic crisis we find ourselves in. I'd much rather be where I was last year: in the "sure, I can afford that, no problem" set.

Economic crisis or not, it's also a competitive loser. What good did higher specs and a new BluRay movie player do for the Sony Playstation 3 with such a high price? It's still, by far, the biggest loser in the console wars and they're only now realizing that they needed to compete better on price after pushing so hard to make people realize that they were buying into VALUE. People like value, sure, but it's got to a value they can afford. In their latest attempt to lower the cost of the Playstation 3, they've already lost because everyone else has had time to take the marketshare and profit ahead of Sony. Nokia had dug a whole new market of the 'Internet Tablet' (more powerful than a PDA, much smaller than a laptop or netbook.. and priced at around the price of a netbook). It had potential as a whole new kind of market.. which is something some people tried to make them aware of. I truly suspect that could that have been the 'million dollar idea' that Nokia execs were just too proud of themselves to listen to because it came from the community instead of from their own chairmembers?

Wow. That's not at all the definition of oligarchy.

You can always put those kids in commercials, to work in a sweat shop, or up for adoption. :p Seriously though, I think if you had the cash, you'd get it.

"If you had the cash, you'd get it." Are you so sure that if someone "had the cash", that they might not instead spend it better elsewhere on something more competitive? **cohubrisugh**

christexaport
2009-08-26, 20:55
about the Skype comment, from my experience with phones and voip apps, I'd hope Nokia/Maemo would instead create an SIP client that supports the various providers video options instead of depending on a service provider to create its own UI. It makes the phone part of the device more simplified, and Nokia's removal of the SIP client in the N95 has been horrible for Google Voice. No Contacts implementation, no call log functionality, and no number pad in most apps during a call lets me know Nokia better have SIP built in, and if we want video call support via Skype or whoever else, Nokia must facilitate it, not depend on individual apps to do so.

danramos
2009-08-26, 20:57
I'm gonna beat the dead horse again:

ARM getting tired? Please, allow me..

:)

qgil
2009-08-26, 20:59
I wonder if a Nokian can comment about whether there will or won't be any dev discount devices?

Personally I'd like to launch first a device, and then talk about the rest.

As a comment aside, we just booked today 40 twin rooms x 3 nights in Amsterdam, offered to the Maemo community for sponsored partipants to the Summit. If this gives you a hint about Nokia moving along without you then you probably should read less Internet stuff and pick a good book or something equally relaxing. ;)

noventa98
2009-08-26, 21:00
I'll buy but only once my E51 dies and the reviews are truly positive. With the benefit of lower pricing, I hope. Meanwhile I will enjoy the N810 at home (it rarely leaves home now). Problem is the E51 is quite sturdy... and the N810 still works well (although slower then before).

I would not use the device for direct Internet access: 3G is too expensive in France right now, that is until the fourth operator (hopefully the one that already shaked the market in Internet access, telephony and TV, "Free") wins the auction which was launched by the French government this month.

Regards,
Antonio

Texrat
2009-08-26, 21:01
If this gives you a hint about Nokia moving along without you then you probably should read less Internet stuff and pick a good book or something equally relaxing. ;)

Good point. I still have some relaxing red wine to finish off... which beats a whine of any color any day. :D

christexaport
2009-08-26, 21:01
danramos, I get clouded in my gadget whore persona much too often, and Doggmann, a respected mobile icon from the UK and fellow Symbian Freak, has had to check me enough times already. That's why I'm not a project manager for Nokia, and only a user.

I think smartphone users are used to paying this much for top of the range kit, but the tablet community is up in arms. I wonder if its a mythical number, or did Nokia position it that way, or if the phone hardware actually upped the price that much. I think its more a positioning thing, and we'll see it heavily subsidized to offset sticker price.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 21:03
is the N800 refresh a demand for a keypadless model?

danramos
Personally I'd like to launch first a device, and then talk about the rest.

As a comment aside, we just booked today 40 twin rooms x 3 nights in Amsterdam, offered to the Maemo community for sponsored partipants to the Summit. If this gives you a hint about Nokia moving along without you then you probably should read less Internet stuff and pick a good book or something equally relaxing. ;)

Maybe you should realize that there are a whole lot more of us out on the Internet, than there will be in those 40 twin rooms during those three nights in Amsterdam. :P

It's easy to throw money to rent a bunch of rooms and proudly puff out your chest and claim it's proof that you're supporting the community. It's not so easy to actually support the community as proof.

Thesandlord
Biggest thing for me (college student) is price and network coverage. Right now, my cell phone is useless in my dorm, and I am living off SIP and my N810's Google voice capabilities. Actually, Google Voice support is also big on my list.

So, price vs iPhone, Pre, Andorid pretty much. I hope it is not 700 subsidized, because then i cannot get it. If it is like 200 subsidized, oh yeah!

danramos
2009-08-26, 21:05
is the N800 refresh a demand for a keypadless model?

Or... for one with a D-pad and no cell radio, at least.

qgil
2009-08-26, 21:10
It's easy to throw money to rent a bunch of rooms and proudly puff out your chest and claim it's proof that you're supporting the community. It's not so easy to actually support the community as proof.

Well, the request few posts above was at the end to put some money on developer discounts. So it's not that different.

But going to the real point, supporting the community is a top priority for Maemo. Then we need to agree on what does this mean in practice.

Please open a new thread (or bump any older if you prefer) to keep discussing this interesting topic.

Texrat
2009-08-26, 21:20
But going to the real point, supporting the community is a top priority for Maemo. Then we need to agree on what does this mean in practice.

Please open a new thread (or bump any older if you prefer) to keep discussing this interesting topic.

Not to be an attention whore, but seeing as how I'm constructing a summit presentation on this very topic, I'd really appreciate if people commenting/complaining/crying about this subject would do so in the thread(s) I've created for that purpose:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30847 (expectations)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30644 (my presentation)

Or, this blog article as well if you prefer not to use this forum for whatever reason:

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com/2009/08/06/request-for-comment-community-engagement/

Many thanks to all who have contributed so far.

danramos
2009-08-26, 21:21
Well, the request few posts above was at the end to put some money on developer discounts. So it's not that different.

I think renting a bunch of rooms isn't equitable to providing developer discounts in the same way the poster intended it. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think the point was to make the device more accessible.. not the rooms.

Indeed, this IS an interesting topic. I think it's been resurrected several times, usually with the same several specific points of listening to consumers/community and that they want, openness and support (replacement hardware parts.. from stylus to kickstand to screen and so on). I think this thread about whether or not someone will buy the N900 might be just as appropriate as any to discuss it in the general, as it still seems relevant to the topic, but the specifics have already been stated many times even in the recent past. I'll leave it to you to see whether you've noticed them, as I'm sure you have. :)

Edit: I see Texrat made it easy to find several related topics. THANKS!

deadmalc
2009-08-26, 21:22
It's hard to stay motivated to develop for a piece of hardware you don't have in your hands. It's also FAR more difficult to debug... so.. yeah... it would be a problem.

This is the main reason I'm so excited about the n900, I really want to develop a really good openvpn client gui, and then an ldap addressbook plugin for modest.
So I'm looking forward to it, been many years since I have done any coding.

qgil
2009-08-26, 21:36
I think renting a bunch of rooms isn't equitable to providing developer discounts in the same way the poster intended it. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think the point was to make the device more accessible.. not the rooms.

Sorry if I'm being too simplistic, but rooms and discounts both end up being a budget assigned to a cost center.

And yes, we are following and taking part or even the initiative in several discussions about improving the community involvement.

Mixing stylus, D-Pad, stand etc to the mix is more tricky since it's impossible to satisfy the whole community unless you can get an Escher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Escher%27s_Relativity.jpg)-inspired design.

I don't quite see the link between a poll about buying a device and a discussion about community involvement, so I will stop it here.

lemmyslender
2009-08-26, 21:45
@christexaport If money were no object I'd buy at least one ;)

@ texrat and others

I didn't intend it as a slap in the face. I certainly don't have enough disposable income to buy one immediately even if I wanted one.

I'm going on the assumption (as illustrated by the poll) there are people who will buy one immediately both inside this community (including some of those "core drivers") and out (I seem to see more new members posting every day). christexaport seems to suggest that at least in some other communities it will be welcomed and adopted. There have been a lot of posts about how we should expect an influx of new members once the n900 (hopefully) takes off. I assume that some of those people will be able to contribute substantially to the community in a variety of areas. A little new blood couldn't hurt could it? Some of those people may even become "core drivers". Surely in this open community we wouldn't get an "I've been here longer than you so my opinion counts more" attitude would we

I also assume that if a community member really believes in the community, they wouldn't leave if they can't contribute to the Fremantle portion would they? There is still a lot going on in the m8x0 portiom (Mer for instance). I assume that once they can afford a new device they would start contributing in the appropriate areas.

I apologize if I offended anyone, I didn't want to or mean to.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 21:45
I like as many controls as possible myself, and don't really like touch devices, to be honest, so I can feel wanting a dpad, but why specifically does the community need one on this mythical "N800 refresh"? I had the N97, and rarely used the Dpad or keypad, so I don't see what the deal is.

Texrat
2009-08-26, 21:47
Edit: I see Texrat made it easy to find several related topics. THANKS!

Sure, and I am really challenging people to step up. I see sooo many vague complaints scattered around the forum about Maemo/community engagement. If people just want to vent, that's one thing-- but if they want improvement, then offer solutions in my threads and their concerns stand a very good chance of making it into my presentation.

But time is wasting...

Texrat
2009-08-26, 21:52
I also assume that if a community member really believes in the community, they wouldn't leave if they can't contribute to the Fremantle portion would they? There is still a lot going on in the m8x0 portiom (Mer for instance). I assume that once they can afford a new device they would start contributing in the appropriate areas.

Apology accepted. I admit my employment situation over the past year has made me hypersensitive to remarks like that, and I should have known you meant no disrespect.

And nobody knows the occasionaly need for repurposing better than I. I've gone from one of the first Nokia tablet insiders to try to bridge the corporate-to-community gap to a nobody who knows nothing... that's been an adjustment. So, yeah, it doesn't have to be all about coding... there are other fish to fry. ;)

Texrat
2009-08-26, 21:53
I like as many controls as possible myself, and don't really like touch devices, to be honest, so I can feel wanting a dpad, but why specifically does the community need one on this mythical "N800 refresh"? I had the N97, and rarely used the Dpad or keypad, so I don't see what the deal is.

There are numerous valid reasons. Mine had to do with touchscreen wear. I'd rather relieve the touchscreen of heavy usage that D-pads endure (such as intense gaming).

zerojay
2009-08-26, 21:54
@christexaport If money were no object I'd buy at least one ;)

@ texrat and others

I didn't intend it as a slap in the face. I certainly don't have enough disposable income to buy one immediately even if I wanted one.

I'm going on the assumption (as illustrated by the poll) there are people who will buy one immediately both inside this community (including some of those "core drivers") and out (I seem to see more new members posting every day). christexaport seems to suggest that at least in some other communities it will be welcomed and adopted. There have been a lot of posts about how we should expect an influx of new members once the n900 (hopefully) takes off. I assume that some of those people will be able to contribute substantially to the community in a variety of areas. A little new blood couldn't hurt could it? Some of those people may even become "core drivers". Surely in this open community we wouldn't get an "I've been here longer than you so my opinion counts more" attitude would we

I apologize if I offended anyone, I didn't want to or mean to.

Apology accepted.

Yes, judging from the reaction to the N900 on several tech sites, I think we'll see a lot of new blood.

I don't think any of the core members of the community (whomever you consider that to be) would leave if they couldn't have their hands on the Fremantle device, but like I said... it's hard to stay motivated to work on it when you can't get the device in your hands and not being able to see what's going on with your own eyes makes development that much harder.

Of course, that's exactly what people working on Fremantle apps are doing right at this precise moment... but the excitement is in the air still. A lot of people just simply get bored of using their gadgets after a while for some reason... so I can see some developers that can't afford the new device leaving the tablets behind after a little while. I don't think it'll be a huge mass exodus by any means, however.

New blood is good blood. If even 5% of new users decide to sign up here and decide to give back to the community in one form or another, be it through programming, support, bug fixes, whatever... the community will be in great shape.

I can't pretend I can speak for everyone in the community, but I can tell you that I don't do what I do (whatever that is) because I expect some form of payment from Nokia. I do it because I believe in the devices and the people around them.

danramos
2009-08-26, 22:03
Sorry if I'm being too simplistic, but rooms and discounts both end up being a budget assigned to a cost center.

Where the money gets allocated would seem to be irrelevant to someone who just wants to be able to port and debug their code to run on your device. I should also note that although I take a great interest in using and filing bug reports for Maemo apps (especially once I use a lot, gpodder), I'm not expecting any such program since I'm not a developer and shouldn't. That being said, I would very much like to see such people get said convenient enticements. :) Just clarifying my interest in that topic and the new device and maemo development.

And yes, we are following and taking part or even the initiative in several discussions about improving the community involvement.

Mixing stylus, D-Pad, stand etc to the mix is more tricky since it's impossible to satisfy the whole community unless you can get an Escher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Escher%27s_Relativity.jpg)-inspired design.

I appear to have some disconnect with your explanation--maybe it was meant to be humorous and I didn't pick up on it. What worked in the previous designs and made them unique and convenient even with one hand, or remaining in your pocket or on the seat tray in the airplane, is now Escheresque?

I don't quite see the link between a poll about buying a device and a discussion about community involvement, so I will stop it here.

I see a direct link between buying this device and whether it suited the community's interests in the next maemo device. Particularly, I'd like to know if the new device will have better support than the previous generation has had. Will there be an affordable program in place for developers to jump on board, will there be a production run of extra parts (will third parties be licensed and convinced to produce some of the parts themselves?), will there be more opened drivers (my understanding so far is that there's a LOT more openness in Fremantle.. so, I actually feel pretty good about this element of the device so far), etc.

I mean.. the new device is more than the plastic, aluminum and silicon that constitutes the thing itself. A lot of that will influence whether the device will be worthwhile to purchase.

I hope I've made myself more lucent for this discussion. I just hope that we'll see a better supported Linux device come out of all this. My apologies for ranting, as I tend to do. :)

danramos
2009-08-26, 22:10

The D-pad is also particularly handy when you want to pause/play a podcast while the device is still in your pocket, without having to pull it out--you can feel for the center button and in one very fluid gesture, pause. MUCH better than a touchscreen interface any day. Then there's...

There are numerous valid reasons. Mine had to do with touchscreen wear. I'd rather relieve the touchscreen of heavy usage that D-pads endure (such as intense gaming).

That. I prefer to avoid touching the screen as much as possible, too. If only the bluetooth headset's controls could actually play/pause too--hell, I wouldn't even need to feel around the pocket.. but I'd STILL want the D-pad. There's MANY times when the precision of a D-pad can't be replaced.

New blood is good blood. If even 5% of new users decide to sign up here and decide to give back to the community in one form or another, be it through programming, support, bug fixes, whatever... the community will be in great shape.

Let's just not forget the old blood. There's a reason why the community is already here--there was an audience for the devices as they were already designed. Let's not ignore that some things were done right and remember that it is, in fact, better to keep your customers than to keep trying to attract new ones.

jaem
2009-08-26, 22:15
Other: I'd probably buy it if the price was reasonable, but I'd have to be sure I could afford a data plan, because this would be my next phone (yes, I know it IS a phone, but I'm emphasizing that I wouldn't be able to buy a new tablet (e.g. RX-51 without a phone plan at all) and a phone - and I'll need a new phone by next year anyway). And that all depends on how university co-op jobs turn out in the next year or so.

Khertan
2009-08-26, 22:20
Just to precise :

My answer was just to answer to the poll.

So i will surelly bought one if i got discount code, else i ll surely buy it later ... because i didn t have so much money to expense

WHAT WE KNOW : That there will be a n900
WHAT IS RUMOR : THE PRICE

And if i do dev for Maemo, is because, i like the hardware running it, the os and the fact that is FOSS. And not getting a discounted code will not prevent me to make application for Maemo.

So clearly i would recommend you to wait the announce before to post negative comment.

This is like this post we didn t have yet specs of the device.

lemmyslender
2009-08-26, 22:33
And for the record, I am for developer discounts. I know it would help immensely to get the device in as many peoples hands as possible as quickly as possible. In fact it would probably help to justify a N800 refresh as well if there is a surge in popularity ala iphone/itouch.

I just don't think it would be the end of the community, or the failure of the N900 because Nokia didn't have a developer discount program.

danramos
2009-08-26, 22:35
So clearly i would recommend you to wait the announce before to post negative comment.

This is like this post we didn t have yet specs of the device.

Soooo, you're suggesting only POSITIVE comments? Nearly everybody's opinion about whether they would or wouldn't buy this device is based in speculation--even when you're just talking about the price. I have no idea what it'll cost or what the deal with the carrier (or even whether there will be an exclusive carrier) will be. I have no clue yet and, I'm reasonably certain, neither are you. I'm not sure that making this a 'positive only' spin doctoring thread will really help the discussion along, though.

If it'll make you feel any better, I'll toss a little generous token of positive thinking your way: Maybe.. just maybe, I might be surprisingly receptive after I've learned more about it and its wireless plans once it's out and I might actually buy it someday. Unlikely.. but you don't know. Hence, speculation.

Texrat
2009-08-26, 22:36
I just don't think it would be the end of the community, or the failure of the N900 because Nokia didn't have a developer discount program.

Not the end... but I fear the political fallout...

YoDude
2009-08-26, 22:38
I'm not buying it... for a variety of reasons the first being: There is nothing wrong with my N800. :) When I saw an N810 for $150 I jumped at buying it just for the luxury of leaving one tablet in the car. What would I do with these two perfectly good tablets?

Reason number 2. I already bought the N800 at full MSRP but it was over a year before a bug I reported that prevented me from tethering to my phone was corrected in the kernel by Nokia. I'm sure Nokia has poured a lot of resources into this new device but the full MSRP for the N900 is reported to be almost twice what I paid for the N800. I know it's irrational but to me, that's twice the exposure if I have to wait another year after I purchase it to use this device as it is intended.

Number 4. The community Reggie founded, Internet Tablet Talk helped me overcome the initial deficits of the N800, usually many months or multiple upgrades before Nokia responded. In the case of the on screen app lock solution and many others, Nokia never did respond. Solutions did come from iTT members though but alas, iTT is no more. (heavy sigh). I'm afraid that many of the active members that have helped grow this community in the past will not be able to afford the next device. Many of those who can, won't be able to afford the next harmatten device coming shortly after. As someone posted recently: an OS is a tool, not a dang religion... I am loyal to the community and not the device or OS, I fear that the continuity of this community will continue to degrade until all we have left are factions loyal to a device or an operating system.

5. With a very capable tablet and a cell phone (and carrier) tied to my employment, I'm thinkin' the Nokia Booklet 3G would better serve my needs and replace the PITA laptop and various chargers that I have to lug with me if I want to continue working on digitally stored documents and media while I'm away from home.

Also: With all these 3G capable devices coming to market in the North America, something tells me we will soon see a bucket load of pay as you go 3G data service providers here. It might pay to let the dust settle a bit before committing to a new device.

KapteeniTunkki
2009-08-26, 22:48
I got essentially a voucher: "get any phone you like". Problem is that I haven't found one yet. (N97 was in my scope but they managed to screw that up.) So, yes. N900 will be my next phone.

Khertan
2009-08-26, 22:57
"Soooo, you're suggesting only POSITIVE" ... i mean do not make negative comment based on rumor ...
but this is the same things for positive.

You can do explain your point of view, give your argument. But some here tends to say it s shame 'x whining reason' ... and that without any officials specs ...

Jaffa
2009-08-26, 22:59
[...] a developer discount program.

Can we stop calling it a "developer discount program[me]": the last one (N810), and possibly even the one before that (N800), were pitched at developers, bloggers, community advocates, bug triagers, community enhancers etc.

Basically, anything you can get karma for.

You don't have to be a developer to get karma, and you didn't have to be a developer to get a discount code. The "I can't contribute because I'm not a developer" meme should be long dead - it's not been in Nokia's criteria for who gets the cheap devices for a long time.

st5150
2009-08-26, 23:00
How about buy if the price is right ?

I can't keep justifying my gadget fetish by buying $700 phones every 1 year ...
If price wasn't a factor, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Edit : that was the first vote as Other.

Has the $700 price tag been confirmed? It would be a shame if the price tag is so high.

christexaport
2009-08-26, 23:07
Has the $700 price tag been confirmed? It would be a shame if the price tag is so high.

why?? The iphone is 699, TP is 600, pre is 595, blackberry touch is around 600. is this in the same class, or well above it? the functionality has been greatly extended from the N800. If you want a sub 500 device, maybe an old Diablo device or an N95/N86 would serve you better. This isn't just a tablet, its a phone first, so it's in line.

(Maybe this is why Eldar has it and the cheapo guys in here don't...)

christexaport
2009-08-26, 23:09

By Eldar, who is in the know. He's hardly ever wrong, and he said it first, but without seeing it, don'lt you expect it'll cost more than the N97. If you want it to sell, and you want Nokia to make money, it must be this price. I knew when i saw it I needed to save about 600-800 bucks, Nokia's price for all of its top of the line phones. Look on the bright side. E90 was 1200 dollars!:eek:

danramos
2009-08-26, 23:21
"Soooo, you're suggesting only POSITIVE" ... i mean do not make negative comment based on rumor ...
but this is the same things for positive.

You've left a very narrow margin for what you CAN talk about, then. As has been said many times before--you really can't make a decision one way or another on whether to buy JUST what has been confirmed. Secrecy breeds speculation and you can't run this kind of poll without either explicit or implicit speculation running the show.

You can do explain your point of view, give your argument. But some here tends to say it s shame 'x whining reason' ... and that without any officials specs ...

I believe I have presented and explained my point of view about whether I'd buy or not buy this device along with explanation. Not everything about this device 'sucks'. You're hearing all the negativity about why I (so far) wouldn't buy this device based on what I know for certain along with what I'm likely to speculate about this device based on previous experience with Nokia devices and the company. It seems unfair to call it whining. I might just as well claim that you're whining. That would make the thread a real mess. :D

If you want an answer ONLY based on what we know so far, then why are you participating in a speculative thread about whether or not any given person would buy this unreleased device? :rolleyes:

danramos
2009-08-26, 23:28
why?? The iphone is 699, TP is 600, pre is 595, blackberry touch is around 600. is this in the same class, or well above it? the functionality has been greatly extended from the N800. If you want a sub 500 device, maybe an old Diablo device or an N95/N86 would serve you better. This isn't just a tablet, its a phone first, so it's in line.

(Maybe this is why Eldar has it and the cheapo guys in here don't...)

That's not really a productive argument, given that a simply updated N800 device (newer OMAP, newer but similar hardware and design (dpad and two SD slots ftw).. maybe even with a few newer features or at least a better battery life) would not have costed anywhere near as much as the N900. If it had one or two internal USB ports, it would also have opened it up to a LOT more interesting hacks and upgrades, too.

Ultimately, if the N900 could have followed in the IT footsteps, it would have been incredibly useful and in its own category instead of what appears to be a 'me too!' in the iPhone competitors category.

st5150
2009-08-27, 00:20
Coming from the NIT side and not from the high end phone side, $700 seems way too high. I never priced high end phones. I was hoping the phone capabilities of the N900 would mean more people would buy it, the maemo community would grow and we'd all benefit from it. A $700 price tag won't achieve this. When I first heard about the N810 and Maemo, it was on sale for about $350 from Nokia's website. I believe $400 was the normal price on the website. Needless to say, if the price tag is $700, I'll be holding off for a while.

YoDude
2009-08-27, 00:32
Can we see comments from others please...

Laughing Man
2009-08-27, 00:58
Coming from the NIT side and not from the high end phone side, $700 seems way too high. I never priced high end phones. I was hoping the phone capabilities of the N900 would mean more people would buy it, the maemo community would grow and we'd all benefit from it. A $700 price tag won't achieve this. When I first heard about the N810 and Maemo, it was on sale for about $350 from Nokia's website. I believe $400 was the normal price on the website. Needless to say, if the price tag is $700, I'll be holding off for a while.

I don't know what country it is, but I am assuming United States by the use of the dollar sign. $700 is way to high if they want to compete with Android/Pre/iPhone/Blackberry, etc..

I think at most the 32 GB iPhone 3GS is what $399?

As for am I buying it? Maybe later in its life if I haven't gone with Android or an iPhone.

theflew
2009-08-27, 01:19
I think the problem is people keep throwing around the $700. If you're in the US there is no benefit in getting an unlocked phone unless you like carrier jumping at a whim. It's not like you get a discount if you bring your own phone (in the US). So just like Pre and iPhone owners you probably get it for somewhere between $199 - $399 on contract.

deeteroderdas
2009-08-27, 02:26
I think the problem is people keep throwing around the $700. If you're in the US there is no benefit in getting an unlocked phone unless you like carrier jumping at a whim. It's not like you get a discount if you bring your own phone (in the US). So just like Pre and iPhone owners you probably get it for somewhere between $199 - $399 on contract.

That $700 is a very real number if, as indicated, the "N900" is only going to be available at the "subsidized" rate through T-Mobile. Since I am on AT&T, and have no pressing desire to jump, I would have to buy an unlocked phone at full price, and swap my SIM.

Don't be fooled, though. "subsidized" is in quotes for a reason. It really isn't subsidized, you're paying for it (and more) through the two years of your contract. So, it's more like leasing, with interest.

The cell phone status quo in the U.S. is outrageous. We are held hostage to these monopolies, and pay them for the privilege.

nwerneck
2009-08-27, 02:33
When I first heard about the N810 and Maemo, it was on sale for about $350 from Nokia's website. I believe $400 was the normal price on the website. Needless to say, if the price tag is $700, I'll be holding off for a while.

The N800 was available here in Brazil for some time at a promotional price of R$350, approximately US$180. I think that was in early 2008. Today you can find it still by R$450 (US$250) at auction sites, and the N810 is being sold at stores for R$700, something like US$380. It was R$1100 (US$600) until few weeks ago...

R$700 is also the price you can get an iPhone 3G at one of the local cell phone companies. The 3GS is being advertised with much fanfare "beat your friends and be the first in your block to own one!"... I believe if you get an iPhone you must get a plan that costs at minimum R$90 a month. I would expect the N900 to cost at most as much as an iPhone 3G, and allow us to get cheaper plans... My poor man's plan is R$35.

theflew
2009-08-27, 02:46
That $700 is a very real number if, as indicated, the "N900" is only going to be available at the "subsidized" rate through T-Mobile. Since I am on AT&T, and have no pressing desire to jump, I would have to buy an unlocked phone at full price, and swap my SIM.

Don't be fooled, though. "subsidized" is in quotes for a reason. It really isn't subsidized, you're paying for it (and more) through the two years of your contract. So, it's more like leasing, with interest.

The cell phone status quo in the U.S. is outrageous. We are held hostage to these monopolies, and pay them for the privilege.

Technically you're not paying for it since the cost of your service does not change regardless of whether you sign a contract or not. Sure the cost of "subsidized" phones are part of the underlying service cost, but the phone companies could care less if you walk in with a unlocked phone since you'll still be paying the same monthly cost as someone on contract. They probably like you more since they would have made more of a profit.

I agree the status quo isn't good, but don't pretend the options with the N900 are any different than the Pre or iPhone. The only crime here is cell phone manufacture artificially price the unlocked devices high to force you into a carrier.

deeteroderdas
2009-08-27, 03:12
Technically you're not paying for it since the cost of your service does not change regardless of whether you sign a contract or not. Sure the cost of "subsidized" phones are part of the underlying service cost, but the phone companies could care less if you walk in with a unlocked phone since you'll still be paying the same monthly cost as someone on contract. They probably like you more since they would have made more of a profit.

I agree the status quo isn't good, but don't pretend the options with the N900 are any different than the Pre or iPhone. The only crime here is cell phone manufacture artificially price the unlocked devices high to force you into a carrier.

The fact that my monthly service costs are the same whether I bring my own unlocked phone or get a "leased" one makes it, in my mind, more criminal. I should get a discount on my service costs. The cost of a phone is imbedded in there. TANSTAAFL.

In fact, go to AT&T's web site and look. They actually have changed their rules lately. If I'm not at the point in my contract where I can get a "discounted" upgrade, I am welcome to purchase a phone (not unlocked, though) from them at the "no discount" price. Still gotta pay the same monthly rate.

Texrat
2009-08-27, 04:43
The rate is apparently designed around "worst case". That allows the service providers to easily absorb known and even unanticipated costs. So I agree with dee: if I bring my own phone to the party, I want a discount.

Kypeli
2009-08-27, 06:22
This is just sad. People ranting about the price of a device - and neither have been announced. It can be $700, but it can also be $300! Your guess is as good as mine. Stop complaining before you really see an announcement.

volt
2009-08-27, 07:24
Okay, just checking if I get this right.

In Europe, we can get a cell phone cheap with an expensive subscription, or you can get the same cell phone mid-priced with a cheap subscription. With the cheapest subscriptions, they don't offer any "subsides" at all. Basically, you can get a $400 phone for $1 but then you have a subscription that is about $400 more expensive a year, than the optimal subscription.

Are you telling me that US carriers will give you the $400 phones "subsidized" at the same price regardless of what subscription you have? That there are no cheaper options?

Sounds like capitalism isn't working, if noone offers a barebone subscription with lower costs and lower monthly fees. ;)

ossipena
2009-08-27, 08:19
read the first review and now it must be bought!

Don't have much money to spare but I haven't bought a cellphone this year (thanks E71!) so I am a lot behind from my 1 phone per year -quota now ;)

e: probably won't get it subsidied (what's the word?!?) because without I'll get 20-50 euros worth of phonecalls every time when my 24 month contract is updated for another 24 months.

deeteroderdas
2009-08-27, 09:28
This is just sad. People ranting about the price of a device - and neither have been announced. It can be $700, but it can also be $300! Your guess is as good as mine. Stop complaining before you really see an announcement.

Stop denying me my right to complain.

Given the price of it's near cousin, the N97, do you honestly believe it will be $300?

My "rant" has not so much to do with the price, per se. I'm sure it's worth every dollar/euro. My rant has more to do with the fact that it appears that the N900 device will only be available through T-Mobile, which is not my cell provider. Therefore, I'll have to pay full price if I want to use it.

REMFwhoopitydo
2009-08-27, 09:32
Other.

1. I have never bought a smart-phone because i don't like phones, they are mere devices rather than flexible platforms like my beloved computers.

2. I also dislike being contracted into paying for a service, especially when that service is tied to me in a way that makes me 'visible'.

For this reason I have always had unlicensed pay-as-you-go phones historically.

Why then am i interested in a nokia n900?

1. Because the n900 is the closest i have found to a phone which is also an honest to god computer rather than just a fancy device.

2. Because I >hope< that i will be able to use that open computer'iness to replicate the Web 2.0 functionality of current smart-phones with an unregistered pay-as-you-go sim.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am hoping i can acquire a pay-as-you-go sim with internet ability.
I am hoping i can use local OSM maps cached on the n900 for navigation.
I am hoping the maemo/Ovi application development community can compete with the iphone app store.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this isn't possible then i have to weigh up my dislike of service contracts against the ability to make the most of my new web-enabled n900 computer-phone......................

So the answer is Other.

Kypeli
2009-08-27, 09:33
Stop denying me my right to complain.

Of course not. Here in Finland we have this thing called freedom of speech, so I am pretty used to all kinds of rants ;)

Given the price of it's near cousin, the N97, do you honestly My rant has more to do with the fact that it appears that the N900 device will only be available through T-Mobile, which is not my cell provider. Therefore, I'll have to pay full price if I want to use it.

Did you notice the word appears that you used again? *sigh*.

ana
2009-08-27, 12:36
Another if 'price is right' person here.

qwerty12
2009-08-27, 12:41
Am I buying it? **** yes.

After seeing the brilliant launch material, saying 'no' isn't an option.

Maemo 5 all the way!

darethehair
2009-08-27, 12:46
Although I would love to have the N900, and continue to develop my favorite apps on the faster/slicker device, price will be a large determining factor.

As well, even though I am an ultra-techie person, I have never owned a cell phone in my life, so that part of it doesn't interest me right now.

christexaport
2009-08-27, 13:22

Unlocked IS a big benefit in the US. If you buy a subsidized phone from at&t, it comes at a higher monthly tarriff than an unlocked. For instance, the unlocked N95 can choose any voice plan, and data is about $12-19 per month. Choose a subsidized iPhone, and you must choose a minimum voice plan that they set, and data is around $25-35 a month, so you save nearly $150+ a year going unlocked just on data! And if they push the price higher, ain't no carrier switching, either, until the contract ends, and even then, there's no way to unlock the device and keep your warranty!! And lastly, unlocked devices usually have features and software stripped from them to pander to the carriers. So subsidized devices usually come at a high cost.

This device will be different, and I doubt it will be branded in any way by TMobile, something they've gotten away from recently.

nilchak
2009-08-27, 13:55
After seeing the official release and the marketing stuff and the videos of the N900 in action ....

I take back my vote for "other". I am in with Buy, no matter what :)

gt24
2009-08-27, 14:02
I'm pretty sure this has been posted somewhere before...

I want an n800 refresh. What does that mean? Let's quote the n900 (Engadget).

The specs include a 3.5-inch 800x480 pixel (resistive) touchscreen, sliding QWERTY, 32GB of on-board storage expandable to 48GB via microSD, GPS/A-GPS, FM transmitter, TV-out, Bluetooth 2.1, WiFi, 1320mAh battery, and 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics and dual-LED flash. Better yet, this monster MID brings the power of the ARM Cortex-A8, up to 1GB of application memory, and OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics acceleration to make quick work of polygons and what Nokia promises will be a "PC-like experience on a handset-sized device."

The n800 is an internet tablet. No cell phone radio, low internal storage, two SD card slots... and the dumbest camera in history.

In other words, the n900 is too expensive. I got the n800 because Windows Mobile went "cell phone" and I didn't want a "cell phone" internet device. I came to the NIT to get away from the "cell phone" craze only to have Nokia go charging off thinking they can take on the iPhone! (I just have a simple phone by the way)

In other words, an n800 refresh should have (in comparison to the n900)...

-- Similar size screen (larger than n900)
-- Keyboard doesn't matter, can have or discard
-- The built in memory NEEDS TO BE SMALLER. I wouldn't ever use that, I would prefer to save money and have two card slots.
-- GPS needs to be excluded if it significantly increases cost. I can buy a Bluetooth one if I really wanted it
-- (more things on the n900 not mentioned can stay)
-- The 5 MP camera should get tossed for a much lower quality one. I don't want a camera necessarily, I want lower cost.
-- The "ARM Cortex-A8, up to 1GB of application memory, and OpenGL ES 2.0" is what makes the new Maemo not work on older devices. This is needed in a "refresh" lest we get left behind on the Maemo OS track.
-- No Cell Radio! This increases the price.
-- In short, LOWER PRICE

For a PDA tablet thingy I want kinda large so I can browse the web in the house. For a phone, I want tiny so I can make calls only and cheap so I don't have to worry about protecting it. The PDA always gets a very good case and protection. So, what I want from each device is completely opposite. The phone must have great battery life, the PDA thingy not so much, the phone needs to never crash, the PDA isn't as vital in this regard, etc etc.

I like the n800... and it is a dying breed. Reminds me of the Dell Axims a lot... they were doing wonderfully until Windows Mobile went "cell phone" and Dell dropped out of it.

If it is a "cell phone" choice, the Nokia E63 looks tempting to me. However, I'm likely to skip this and just find another device that is new, interesting, and not a cell phone if possible... However, if "cell phone" is the way to go, then I go with whatever phone comes my way due to lovely carrier lockout, being on a "flex pay" plan at the moment, etc.

Ah well, maybe my n800 will last forever making this point moot. Time will tell... :)

volt
2009-08-27, 14:36
i change my vote. Buy. I don't need no reviews. Also, A2DP support was mentioned in an article, which has been my biggest letdown that the SIM card doesn't fix.

ysss
2009-08-27, 14:42
This was a snapshot of the community's interest right before the N900 official announcement (with all the drool worthy related marketing materials.).

Is it ok to make another snapshot poll (this time with Price sensitivity option :D) to gauge the response right after the announcement? :)

khalid
2009-08-27, 15:49
I will buy two for sure if the price is reasonable (my wife and I both have N800 currently) and I am not forced to buy it like a cell phone with 2 year contract. 500 Euros is over $700. That is a too expensive. $399 with no contract required would be a good price.

shusai
2009-08-27, 17:15
I would buy it only if there was support for Japanese.

I need to read and write Japanese and as that didn't really work on both my N770 and N800 I now have to use an iPhone...

Why can't Nokia support other languages than those of the countries they are selling their products?
Don't they know that nowadays we got that "World Wide Web" thing with quite a few more languages? :confused:

drizek
2009-08-27, 17:55
I would, except for one snag: T Mobile.

This morning I found out that if you are on a high-price plan with Sprint(basically anything with data), they will allow you to change phones every year at the subsidized price.

The N900 is nicer than any phone out today, but is it nicer than the phones that will be out a year from now? With Zii on the way, I think the answer is no, so the decision is really tough.

Moreover, Sprints plans are just plain better than T Mobiles. TMo nickel and dimes you for every little thing and to get a reasonable plan with them it ends up costing quite a bit of money. Mobile to Mobile is free on most other carriers, but TMO charges $5 for it. Nights and weekends only start at 9, and they don't include the turn by turn navigation app like other carriers(although Nokia might, but they might charge for it). That said, Tmobile is better than ATT, so it could be worse.

Also, it is a really thick device, it might not be very pocketable. The Motorola sholes is remarkable in that it is only a couple millimeters thicker than the iPhone, and yet it has a bigger screen and a bigger battery than the n900.

directore
2009-08-27, 18:17
NO, price, 30% smaller screen (n800, 4.2" to 3.5"), also worry that speakers are crappy. I use my n800 almost exclusively for e-mail monitoring, internet surfing, internet radio listening, some video.

Other than a better CPU n900 is a step backward for me.

Laughing Man
2009-08-27, 18:20
Okay, just checking if I get this right.

In Europe, we can get a cell phone cheap with an expensive subscription, or you can get the same cell phone mid-priced with a cheap subscription. With the cheapest subscriptions, they don't offer any "subsides" at all. Basically, you can get a $400 phone for $1 but then you have a subscription that is about $400 more expensive a year, than the optimal subscription.

Are you telling me that US carriers will give you the $400 phones "subsidized" at the same price regardless of what subscription you have? That there are no cheaper options?

Sounds like capitalism isn't working, if noone offers a barebone subscription with lower costs and lower monthly fees. ;)

Eh the whole Capitalism not working is a huge debate (considering we don't have a true Capitalist economy with the way the Federal government intervenes). But then again I don't think a true capitalist economy could ever work for the same reasons a true communist economy could ever work. But that's another debate.

But yes, that is basically our problem.

I would, except for one snag: T Mobile.

This morning I found out that if you are on a high-price plan with Sprint(basically anything with data), they will allow you to change phones every year at the subsidized price.

The N900 is nicer than any phone out today, but is it nicer than the phones that will be out a year from now? With Zii on the way, I think the answer is no, so the decision is really tough.

Moreover, Sprints plans are just plain better than T Mobiles. TMo nickel and dimes you for every little thing and to get a reasonable plan with them it ends up costing quite a bit of money. Mobile to Mobile is free on most other carriers, but TMO charges $5 for it. Nights and weekends only start at 9, and they don't include the turn by turn navigation app like other carriers(although Nokia might, but they might charge for it). That said, Tmobile is better than ATT, so it could be worse.

Also, it is a really thick device, it might not be very pocketable. The Motorola sholes is remarkable in that it is only a couple millimeters thicker than the iPhone, and yet it has a bigger screen and a bigger battery than the n900.

Really? I have Sprint and I think its mehish compared to TMobile. But then again I don't use many minutes (if I do use them I use Google Voice now). And I don't have SMS or data. Mobile to Mobile is nice if your on the same plan, but most of my friends are on Verizon (and I don't feel like switching to Verizon). I'm thinking (when my contract is up with Sprint) to switching to tMobile on a family plan getting as little minutes as possible (so my girlfriend/future wife) can use them while I use the Fav 5 + Google Voice for free calls to anyone on any network. Plus, the other 4 people can just be family and my gf who I usually only call anyway. Just need to fit a data plan (don't have one now) in there somehow...

drizek
2009-08-27, 18:27
The thing is, a Fav5 Plan with Tmobile costs about the same as a metric ton of minutes on sprint. Besides, with Sprint you get unlimited calling after 7 and on weekends,. and mobile to mobile. Also, Google voice + Fav5 might not last forever. If people abuse it then they might blacklist GV numbers from being in the Fav5, it really isn't very hard to do and I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

The really big thing though is just being able to upgrade your phone every year at a reasonable price. That is a huge deal for someone like me(and I imagine a lot of people here) who wantto have the latest and greatest but can't afford to spend $400-600 on an unsubsidized phone.

I would like to say though, I wouldn't have a google voice account if it wasnt for this forum, so thanks guys and I hope you are enjoying yours as well.

zehjotkah
2009-08-27, 18:33
NO, price, 30% smaller screen (n800, 4.2" to 3.5"), also worry that speakers are crappy. I use my n800 almost exclusively for e-mail monitoring, internet surfing, internet radio listening, some video.

Other than a better CPU n900 is a step backward for me.

where do you get the 4,2" from?
the n800 have 4,13"...

Onyros
2009-08-27, 18:40
I'll buy IF the price is right and there's no exclusive network deal attached (meaning, only will buy unlocked).

I may wait until the price drops, as I'm not in a hurry - pretty satisfied with my N800 still - and I also have a small phone I like. When I feel the need to replace both... enter the n900 :)

lorelei
2009-08-27, 18:42
I will probably buy one, if the price and reviews are good...this may be the good occasion to take advantage of the financial participation from my employer toward buying cell-phones with agenda capabilities.

MMMotors
2009-08-27, 18:54
Kinda different situation for me, my primary phone (SE K850i - pairs great with the n810) just died and it's getting toward the end of racing season and I'm out of money. With the announcement of the N900, I have new found faith that Nokia *can* actually compete so I'll pick up a refurb E71x subsidized for $8, and in a few months perhaps look at the N900 vs. a GSM Pre should such a device materalize.

For me it works well always carrying a smaller phone sometimes bringing along a larger tablet. You figure if the N900 does well, there will be more chance of getting an N8?0 update later. For better or worse though, phones make money.

gazza_d
2009-08-27, 19:05
I posted yesterday that I wouldn't be.

Scrub that - I am now suffering very serious gadgetlustm and did not get any sensible work down after I found out at lunchtime

Wondering how much I would get for a few shifts entertaining sailors down the docks!

Laughing Man
2009-08-27, 20:29
The thing is, a Fav5 Plan with Tmobile costs about the same as a metric ton of minutes on sprint. Besides, with Sprint you get unlimited calling after 7 and on weekends,. and mobile to mobile. Also, Google voice + Fav5 might not last forever. If people abuse it then they might blacklist GV numbers from being in the Fav5, it really isn't very hard to do and I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

The really big thing though is just being able to upgrade your phone every year at a reasonable price. That is a huge deal for someone like me(and I imagine a lot of people here) who wantto have the latest and greatest but can't afford to spend $400-600 on an unsubsidized phone.

I would like to say though, I wouldn't have a google voice account if it wasnt for this forum, so thanks guys and I hope you are enjoying yours as well.

True, but I meant the GV more for when I don't dial people I usually don't call (which is rare). Most of the minutes used on my family plan I'm on right now is by my mother (its shared by my mother, my sister, and I). So even if they banned GV it wouldn't be a huge loss considering I rarely used the minutes to begin with.

And true Sprint is nice with their upgrading ability. I just don't upgrade phones often (actually I just usually use the dirt cheap free phones you get when you subscribe). My upcoming next plan is likely to be my first smartphone. Whether it be the n900/Android/iPhone. I don't think Sprint has anything now that interests me besides the Pre..

MountainX
2009-08-27, 22:11
A week ago I would have said that I will not be buying. (I just bought an N810 two months ago.)

After seeing the product demos here (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10379_Nokia_N900-Maemo_5_powered_mob.php), I am more excited about the N900 than any computing product I have seen announced in the last year, and I will definitely be buying it (as well as signing up for T-Mobile 3-g)!

Absolutely must have this device!!! For me, Nokia hit a home run with this product. It looks perfect. (I'll take it over an iPhone any time.)

Paxicide
2009-08-27, 22:33
Absolutely must have this device!!! For me, Nokia hit a home run with this product. It looks perfect.

Ditto for me ... :D

rafanto
2009-08-27, 23:12
I follow maemo start with sacrifice I bought my first Nokia 770 and then got through a discount I bought also the N810.
The introductory price of Nokia n900 (being a student) does not allow me to buy it immediately without discount maemo,although I would love to own it

:-)

rafanto

sondjata
2009-08-27, 23:24
I'm on the fence. Can I afford it? Yes. Would I need to deal with contract issues? No. Would I really WANT to spend $700 (supposedly) on an IT with a phone (which is basically what it is), I'm not all that sure. Would it be convenient to not have to tether to get an internet connection? Yep.

I like the demo but honestly I look at what I use my N800 for and for me I don't need all that. I won't be editing movies or photos on it, podcasts work just fine with my current setup, so does GV, Pidgin etc.

The biggest issue for me right now is that apps are going to go fremantle only soon after this comes out and I'll be stuck with stuff with no improvements at all.

In the end I may end up getting an 810 so that I can get the KB, which I want, and the built in GPS which is convenient.

If it goes on sale for $500 US I will probably bite since I did pay a combined ~500 on the n800 taking into account the external GPS, External KB, Extra battery, SD cards and a phone I could tether with. Getting the N900 would account for GPS, KB and phone costs, but not at 7 bills.

heavyt
2009-08-28, 00:27
Want it without the phone. And better yet with some version of a wireless wide area lan capablilty.

lemmyslender
2009-08-28, 01:01
Demo looked cool, but still won't be getting one anytime soon.

Still think the screen will be too small, don't need a phone. Zooming by swirling my finger? Looked hard to get the right spot. I'd much rather have hard buttons. Too expensive. Too many "cool, look at this" features that wouldn't get used often if ever, probably would end up being annoying.

barry99705
2009-08-28, 01:18
I've been on the fence between an iPhone or an Android phone for the last couple months, now there's a third phone! Damnit!!! :)

javispedro
2009-08-28, 01:34
I selected other: I'll be waiting with my trusty N810 until N900's price gets around 300€, even if it takes years.

jandmdickerson
2009-08-28, 02:16
Demo looked cool, but still won't be getting one anytime soon.

Still think the screen will be too small, don't need a phone. Zooming by swirling my finger? Looked hard to get the right spot. I'd much rather have hard buttons. Too expensive. Too many "cool, look at this" features that wouldn't get used often if ever, probably would end up being annoying.

Sweet!! This will make the price drop quickly for me. N97 is already down 10 percent on nokia.com. And I really want this mobile computer.

tuxfoo
2009-08-28, 03:26
I voted other. I would LOVE to buy this phone to replace my n810, but can't justify doing it without 3G on AT&T frequencies (T-Mobile is not available in my area).

UPDATE: After my HTC G1 took a dive off my night stand, my circumstances changed. I now own an N900 and am very happy with it! (Though I'd still like to trade up for a NAM version, :-)

digited
2009-08-28, 08:09
I'll take 2!

TooMuchMoney
2009-08-28, 21:33
I can only afford one but I'll get one straight away. The other device that interest me is the HTC Leo which offers 1Ghz Snapdragon, massive 4.3" screen and the dimension is much smaller than any n8x0 tablets and only 11mm thin.

RWFarley
2009-08-29, 03:48
I'm really looking forward to buying an N900, but I voted Other. Why? This is so close to my dream device, that I'm hoping to skip the N900 in favor of a follow-on device that will include all of the N900 plus maybe:

4 - 5" QFHD (960x540) display
~65 key keyboard
Compass
6 d.f. accelerometers (x/y/z/roll/pitch/yaw)
native support of .dvr-ms and .wtv files
ATSC (TV) reciever
AM radio reciever

chill633
2009-08-29, 15:21
And a pony. Don't forget the pony!

ysss
2009-08-29, 15:45
And a pony. Don't forget the pony!

Don't you see, it's hiding inside the kitchen sink :)

chill633
2009-08-29, 15:57
I purchased the N770 when it came out because I was excited about the potential. I was mostly happy with the 770 and it served me well. Nokia's BT keyboard helped. My disappointments were tempered by knowing it was a new product and had some growing pains. I also kept an eye on Nokia's roadmap.

I passed by the N800 and N810 because while they were interesting incremental improvements, they didn't really excite me. What excited me was Nokia seemed serious about working down the evolutionary ladder with the whole tablet concept and also looked committed to Linux and reasonable open access to the device.

The N900 excites me. The specs, pix and Nokia video are jaw dropping. It is an instant "I WANT!", which hasn't happened to me in may years (related to electronics, that is).

I'll be making a pilgrimage downtown to the Nokia Flagship Store (Chicago, IL -- where I live) in October in hopes it is available there.

volt
2009-08-30, 15:52
Will you believe that my N810 stopped charging last night? Now I have to remove the battery and use the external charger that I got from eBay, and that's a bloody LED disco light.

Nokia triggered the internal self destruct, eh? Well... It speeds up my buying this phone.

shadowjk
2009-08-30, 17:42
My own strategy: wait until it's in-stock at etailers, check if a new device is rumoured yet, wait to see if new device is better or a budget version. If a budget version, get n900.

The MSRP doesn't seem that high to me. If anything, it's quite competitive by being 150€ less than that of iphone 3gs 32g and Samsung OmniaHD..

And MSRP is the only thing we should compare with, as there's no street price for unlocked N900s yet, and no prices on subsidized contracts, which are impossible to compare sanely anyway..

salida
2009-08-31, 00:27
As previously said by other members it's a matter of price,I remember buying my lovely n800 at about 300 euro, but my guesses for n900 are pretty higher.
I guess that n900 will cost approximately 500 e which is not a reasonable price for a hand-held device. We just have to wait and see the official release of Nokia and of course read some reviews.

TooMuchMoney
2009-08-31, 01:27
All high end smartphones cost about 500+ Euros. You can't compare it to previous internet tablet prices because it's a smartphone..

If you really want to compare the old tablets then you need to compare with other media internet devices such as Archos or iPod Touch and not the high end smartphone market.

What do you mean not reasonable... The iPhone cost more.

I'm thinking the price is a bargain because the previous high end smartphones I bought cost more and is no way in the same league as this device. Many will buy this phone subsidised into a contract which will cost peanuts.

passeridae
2009-08-31, 02:42
Not at this price:(
Don't need a mobile phone (can't justify the rates in Canada). What I'd like is an updated handheld computer for less than $500. If the prices don't come down, I'll probably wait, and keep using my N800... (when are the OMAP4 devices coming out?:))

Benson
2009-08-31, 04:36
I see a number of folks from the US making decisions based on an assumed price of ~700 USD, obtained by converting 500 EUR at current exchange rates. While that may approximate the cost to buy a UK model through some online shop (if they are released before the US model), it's almost certainly not a good estimate of the US release price.

These typically go for the same number price, more or less, in the US and EU markets; that is, if it's 500 EUR in Europe, it'll be 500 USD in the US. I'll be quite surprised if the N900 is more than $550.

amirtycoon
2009-08-31, 04:44
All high end smartphones cost about 500+ Euros. You can't compare it to previous internet tablet prices because it's a smartphone..

If you really want to compare the old tablets then you need to compare with other media internet devices such as Archos or iPod Touch and not the high end smartphone market.

What do you mean not reasonable... The iPhone cost more.

I'm thinking the price is a bargain because the previous high end smartphones I bought cost more and is no way in the same league as this device. Many will buy this phone subsidised into a contract which will cost peanuts.

I think u don't understand why we say high tag price!!!!!!
i buy NOKIA N82 for 550usd and now worth nothing without support ...
so why i should waste my money on NOKIA when they have fool policy to support costumers.

we wait and see the review and some software update then we decide ;)

christexaport
2009-08-31, 04:53
I see a number of folks from the US making decisions based on an assumed price of ~700 USD, obtained by converting 500 EUR at current exchange rates. While that may approximate the cost to buy a UK model through some online shop (if they are released before the US model), it's almost certainly not a good estimate of the US release price.

These typically go for the same number price, more or less, in the US and EU markets; that is, if it's 500 EUR in Europe, it'll be 500 USD in the US. I'll be quite surprised if the N900 is more than $550.

Benson, you are so wrong! It'll be priced competitively, but number 1, the price at todays exchange rate is $713, but will probably be between 699 and 799 usd, and 2, the N97 was 479 pounds in the UK, which is 545 Euros, and nothing close to the 699 USD

Nokia prices differently in each market based on the competition.

christexaport
2009-08-31, 04:54
amirtycoon, what support do you need on the N82? It's been updated many times. Maybe I can help.

Benson
2009-08-31, 12:43
Nokia prices differently in each market based on the competition.
Indeed.

For example, the N810 launched at 479 USD, but 499 EUR. That was back in 2007, but the exchange rate was about 1.4 USD/EUR, same as today. I've seen the same pattern (i.e. more-or-less even; some a little over, some a little under) on the other mobile devices I've paid close attention to, but the N810's the only one I have memorized.

Guess we'll find out who's "so wrong" in a few days... ;)

bigglesinuk
2009-08-31, 18:45
Here in the UK the price is expected to be about £440. This is about right for a device of this type.

The issues that concern me are:

1. Will the build quality be as good as the N810 or crappy like the other Nokia phones? (I have both the N810 and N800 and the build quality on those is solid.)

2. The resolution is the same as the N810 but on a 3.5 inch screen instead of 4.1inch like the N810. This means that every thing will be smaller. I already have to magnify to about 150 - 200 % to read web pages so does that mean I will be having to scroll horizontally? This would stop me buying it.

Any opinions?

dkm365
2009-08-31, 18:53
I chose the other option, as there are multiple factors that I'll have to weigh. First, I'm in a 3G-less area, and there are several nearby larger cities that will get coverage before my locale gets upgraded. So, my second concern is how the n900 will work on Edge. AT&T isn't any better for 3G in my area, which is partly why I've not embraced smartphones in general & stuck w/ a dumb phone w/ no data plan & then my n810 via wifi. The n900, while I wish it had a bigger screen & and a few of the hard buttons of the n810, might be compelling enough to get me to take the plunge, but it isn't as clear-cut in a no 3G zone.

Third, T-Mobile does not provide plans directly in my area. Rather, we must deal with a local affiliate (iWireless). iWireless does not offer the ranged of phones or plans that T-mobile does, and I don't know how this will impact getting a reasonable (in crazy U.S. cell phone terms, at least) service plan. Obviously, I can get an unlocked n900, but the service plan options will potentially be less attractive.

Fourth, the price is a bit steep, & given that the usual practice is for the price to drop within a couple months. My desire to support the platform & the little boy desire to have a new toy will battle against my more frugal side.

So, there are a number of factors I'll need to weigh before deciding whether I'll be an early adopter, wait for a lower price, or hold off for a possible later model.

Dave

gazza_d
2009-08-31, 19:19
Before the N900 announcement I was all set not to buy it, and get an N810 as well as my N800. Quite fancy playing around with OSM, ecoach etc, and onboard GPS and keyboard would be handy.

Once the 900 was unveiled I suffered acute gadgetlust! Now if I sold my N800, and my Nokia 6220, and leveraged birthday promises (end of sept) I could stretch to the 900.

Problem is that the more I think about it, the more I want to keep using SportsTracker, which is currently on S60 only. I am quite addicted to it.

There seems to be a known and unfixed problem with uploading gpx files from other sources, so uploading from ecoach would appear to be a non-starter at this time. So I am wavering badly again.

I may end up selling the N800 as I have a buyer lined up with a good offer, and still get the N810 in the interim for my birthday.

Unless of course we find out that we can sucessfully use the N900 and sportstracker together, then it'll be a done deal again. Come on Nokia - this will be one of your flagships, enable it for use with one of your flagship services. ST's as good as Ovi easily, and would be another big boost for the new device I'm sure.

dwould
2009-09-02, 15:53
Ok, so it's had some hands on tests, and some early reviews. Has that changed anyones mind from their choices?
Those that said 'if' reviews are possitive are you happy? or waiting for more in depth reviews?

I myself am wondering if there is any reason NOT to pre-order direct from Nokia. Given that I'm a definite yes to buying it. Anyone with experience from previous devices, is it likely anyone would give a better deal than direct? I'm not terribly interested in waiting to go with a contract, I'll buy SIM free as I still have about 6 months on my current contract.

ysss
2009-09-02, 16:16
I voted 'buy (no matter what)' last week but now I'll shift down to 'wait for reviews' or 'wait for hands on opportunity', mainly due to landscape-only orientation. But also (in part) due to:

- vsync tearing (everytime there's horizontal scrolling, visible in all videos).
- choppy youtube playback (need to see more flash performance samples)
- early report that tap-to-zoom in browser isn't as intuitive and smart as iphone's implementation and the other option to zoom quickly is the nipple twirl.

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-02, 16:27
- early report that tap-to-zoom in browser isn't as intuitive and smart as iphone's implementation and the other option to zoom quickly is the nipple twirl.

There's also the zoom rocker on the top of the device. You know, the same one that's been on every other tablet ever released.

ysss
2009-09-02, 16:46
@GA: after using the iphone, g1 and n800, I've found the iphone's control scheme works best for that size\form factor. Just faster and simpler.

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-02, 16:58
@GA: after using the iphone, g1 and n800, I've found the iphone's control scheme works best for that size\form factor. Just faster and simpler.

And I disagree. I find pinch zooming to be fairly inconvenient.

albson
2009-09-02, 17:00
I did buy N770 because it was first tablet under linux, N810 because of GPS and power, N810 because of keyboard. I will not buy N900 if NOKIA does not help me
for the price. I did help them to develop this new market, so just a little bit of return on invstment for me....

albson
2009-09-02, 17:02
I do forget also that iphone utilisation is so simple.....

ysss
2009-09-02, 17:03
@GA: Me too, I don't use pinch\zoom much except when I'm framing or resizing pictures. I was talking about double-tap-to zoom-to-width.

Anyway, this is a purchase poll thread. I was stating the reason why _I_ change my vote. Label me as you want.

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-02, 17:05
@GA: Me too, I don't use pinch\zoom much except when I'm framing or resizing pictures. I was talking about double-tap-to zoom-to-width.

Well, if it doesn't ship with the exact functionality of the iPhone out of the box, Maemo Browser is open and it could be implemented fairly simply (are there any existing implementations in Firefox or WebKit that could be used?).

albson
2009-09-02, 17:06
To GeneralAntilles:
I like the "fairly" word, it seems for me yes but.......
I do think that this zoom method is not usable.

ysss
2009-09-02, 17:11
@GA: Ok, I hope so. I thought that was what Nokia aimed for, looking at the videos (especially the one with Jussi with the Disco Dust blog). But from that demo video, it didn't work too well (he double tapped the side bar, but the browser zoomed in to the title).

Like I said, I didn't say I'm not buying this, just waiting for more reviews or hands on time to learn more about it.

allnameswereout
2009-09-02, 17:55
I think u don't understand why we say high tag price!!!!!!
i buy NOKIA N82 for 550usd and now worth nothing without support ...
so why i should waste my money on NOKIA when they have fool policy to support costumers.

we wait and see the review and some software update then we decide ;)You should vote with your wallet.

What you describe is part of Nokia culture: release a lot of devices but don't support them long. This trend is slowly withering away though.

A Nokia N82 isn't worth nothing. Heck, it has a great camera on-board for sure, unmatched by hardly any other Nokia phone (I think none?). It is almost 2 years old though. In general, you can expect about 2 years of support for a mobile phone.

The problem is that, with S60, Nokia devices often received no new features anymore except bugfixes and reliability fixes. That is because adding new features means a lot of software testing en QA, while traditionally Nokia released tons of new phones by the dozens. The effort required costs them a lot of time and money, while it gives no direct profit, undermining the sale of new phones which have software improvements. There are also many software improvements which rely on better/different hardware only found in newer phones.

IMO Nokia's behaviour has improved lately (according to my experience with Nokia E71), and in the future given the openness of Symbian OS this problem is easier to tackle for Nokia.

With Maemo, they allow the community to fork and maintain alternative firmware/OS which you can see happening for Nokia 770 and Nokia N8x0. You don't see that happening on S60, nor on iPhone/iPod touch. There are countless of improvements to Maemo which were due to community work.

dieg
2009-09-03, 10:43
Already ordered! (reserved at least in Nokia Spain Shop!)

icebox
2009-09-03, 18:17
I'll buy after I get my second update promised for the n8x0. Ha ha ha.

Seriously, I got the n800 when there was a special offer for 190$. Got probably the last new e61 available in stores here for almost nothing and a free bluetooth headset (they probably imagined nobody wants that brick near their head).

My e71 was the only device I payed the full price of early adoption. I don't think I'll do it again - I'll never trust problems to be fixed in future firmware updates - that might never come. With the e71 I got lucky they patched the camera a bit so it became decent, everything else works but I don't expect to see new features comming to it. If Nokia starts making more maemo devices the level of support will decrease. It's easy to fix problems when you deal with one device...
If this is only the first in a row you'll probably start to see the same level of support that Symbian devices enjoy.

To end a boring post - I'll buy when and/or if:
- software problems noted are fixed
- usb host mode works
- a hack is made for easy TAB and | keys - for crying out loud it's linux

If the wi-fi supports packet injection and the gsm radio is a bit hackable then maybe I won't wait so much for the price to come down :D

ysss
2009-09-03, 18:20
I'm not concerned of shortage of units at this point (like iPhones), so I'll just wait til they're clearly available from a known reliable (online) shop to pick one up.

keesj
2009-09-03, 18:27
I am a buyer but does nobody worry about battery life, can that be a decision maker?

sachin007
2009-09-03, 18:31
I am a buyer but does nobody worry about battery life, can that be a decision maker?

I am pretty sure the battery life is going to be abysmal. But i plan to carry an extra battery and an external battery charger. The battery is not very thick. How about a key chain battery holder.... looks like a good idea!

ysss
2009-09-03, 18:38

Depends on how often you spend your time away from a power source I guess. Work and Home shouldn't be a problem. If you drive, then you can get car power adapters too.

And.. there'll be aftermarket batteries that boost the capacity. Not to mention you can just bring extra batteries for backup.

It's still a problem, yes, but not without a host of crutches to select from.

kingbirdfivezero
2009-09-03, 18:48
Yep, going to purchase a N900, but I'll probably wait till the price comes down a bit.

mhotep
2009-09-03, 19:06
Oh yeah. Hopefully this will be subsidized by Tmobile here is USA. May get the wife one to, and laugh as she tries to figure it out. She's just getting the hang of an Iphone. LOL. I love the possibilities of this thing. Reminds me of my Sony UX's with the keyboard but lighter and smaller.

Den in USA
2009-09-03, 19:16

I use my N800 ALOT. So I keep a charger/supply in my car, a battery in a charger at work, and a battery in a charger at home.

slha89
2009-09-03, 20:09
And I disagree. I find pinch zooming to be fairly inconvenient.
Pinch? It's double tap too. You should use/know your enemy :p

magog
2009-09-03, 21:20
Apparently it won't support 3G in Canada. So now I'm completely conflicted. I must have this device, but I don't want to move to the states to make it work...

Michael

Jack6428
2009-09-03, 21:42
yup, im getting it..i mean..im almost certain...
the thing is that i have a N70... i have it more than 3,5yrs now...and its dieing...camera doesn't work anymore, ringtones don't work, battery life is short... not that i couldn't stand it you know...the phone itself still works fine... but i seriously now need a new one... thing with me is, i buy a new phone only when the old one dies...so overall this is only my 5th phone (i take care of them lol..I had: Alcatel One Touch Club DB -> Siemens C35 -> Nokia 3650 -> Nokia N-Gage -> Nokia N70)... i wanted to get a N95 when it came out... then the N95 8GB...then the N96...then the iPhone...then the iPhone 3G...then LG Arena...then 5800XpressMusic...then N97...now i want N900 lol.. i dont need games anymore (although i will be happy for them)...for me priority now is how effective the UI is...and Maemo 5 is great...i followed the N900 all along..watched every video..read every article.. it has all i want and need.... apart from one thing which descriptions vary..some say it has a magnetometer (when you use maps and move, the map rotates with you), some say it doesnt...same with FM transmitter...we shall see..and about no portrait mode.. i had N-Gage, so yea..im used to it..not to mention i have a PSP... although i will be pleased if Nokia adds SMS function to the portrait mode..that shouldnt be a problem...so, the only thing im worrying now is battery life...hopefully it will be fine... so yea, for me its a 90% YES BUY... hopefully day1...

Fontus
2009-09-03, 22:18
For me N900 is not appropriate because I use Xournal and Maemopad+ a lot. I think I am going to wait for N820.

On the other hand I would recommend N900 to my friends if I knew that free OS (i.e. Mer) could be installed on the device.

FRZ
2009-09-03, 23:07
Too early to tell and besides I doubt that it'll be coming to verizon for me to consider it

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-04, 05:02
Pinch? It's double tap too. You should use/know your enemy :p

I've used the iPhone quite a bit (every single release, even), and don't much care for it.

Either way, MicroB has double-tap, too, so there's not much point discussing it.

ruskie
2009-09-04, 06:20
I'll buy it if the local nokia suplier will have it. So far the only info I got from them is: It will be released to select markets on october 1st and the local nokia website doesn't have it on page yet :(

I'll probably give it a test drive first and read some reviews. If it's really really really appaling then I might go for a n810 and get some minimal phone for the rest.

Benson
2009-09-04, 12:14

OK, word-eating time. It's now available for preorder on nokiausa.com at $649 -- still a sight less than the accurate conversion of the Europe price, but definitely higher than I expected. :o

choubbi
2009-09-04, 12:36
OK, word-eating time. It's now available for preorder on nokiausa.com at $649 -- still a sight less than the accurate conversion of the Europe price, but definitely higher than I expected. :o

Your comparison would be correct if you took the French price... :(

anidel
2009-09-12, 19:53
For me N900 is not appropriate because I use Xournal and Maemopad+ a lot. I think I am going to wait for N820.

On the other hand I would recommend N900 to my friends if I knew that free OS (i.e. Mer) could be installed on the device.

Well, Xournal will be available for the N900...

Bratag
2009-09-12, 19:54
Already placed order. Now just a matter of refreshing forums - over and over and over until it ships

mhotep
2009-09-12, 20:33
I'm getting mine from Amazon. No tax. Just don't know how soon after launch it will ship though.

wesgreen
2009-09-13, 19:49
price aside, (wtf?) i won't be buying since both the screen and the keyboard seem too small whereas the n810 seems about right.

yukop4
2009-09-13, 20:02
no screen to small-i already have the best nokia phone 6233

geneven
2009-09-13, 20:03
[QUOTE=GeneralAntilles;321275]I've used the iPhone quite a bit (every single release, even), and don't much care for it.

Either way, MicroB has double-tap, too, so there's not much point discussing it.[/QUOTE

You implied that with the iPhone you had to pinch to zoom, and I believed you. The correction, that you can double-tap to zoom, was important to keep me from being mislead.

slha89
2009-09-13, 20:38
If I can't get N900 cheaper than 699,-, I'll wait for "N910" to have SDXC card support and Maemo 6.
It's like buying now a notebook without Express Card to upgrade to USB 3.0. I can't replace every year a phone and a notebook to sell it for half the price, because I need more space and/or faster ports.
With USB 3.0 und SDXC at the door, it's imho a bad time to buy something without this items. Look back SD -> SDHC and USB 1.1 -> 2.0

R-R
2009-09-13, 20:49
If I can't get N900 cheaper than 699,-, I'll wait for "N910" to have SDXC card support and Maemo 6.
It's like buying now a notebook without Express Card to upgrade to USB 3.0. I can't replace every year a phone and a notebook to sell it for half the price, because I need more space and/or faster ports.
With USB 3.0 und SDXC at the door, it's imho a bad time to buy something without this items. Look back SD -> SDHC and USB 1.1 -> 2.0

I don't think you have to worry that much, USB 3.0 won't be of any use to this device and SDXC would be nice but by the time we see bigger cards and acceptable price it'll be 3+ years and you'll want a new phone by then... Technologie just keeps running ahead of anything you buy! :)

Jack6428
2009-09-13, 20:59

Hm, I guess it's perhaps only you who looks at it this way... it will take very long before USB 3.0 and SDXC become a standart...think not? Look at DirectX 10...it came out in November 2006. Is it a standart? No, not even after almost 3 years. Only a small percentage of games use it. Or look at HDTV. Is 1080p a standart? No, not yet, just 720p is. And HDTV as a technology is 20 years old or more. Are touch-screen devices a standart? No, but they are close to getting there. USB 3.0? Drivers came out for Linux just this month and commercialy USB 3.0 will launch next year. I don't mean to sound negative, I'm all for new tech (i really like nanotechnology), but let's be honest and realistic. There is no point in buying a device that has it NOW (or WILL have it when it's available) day 1, when you can't use it anywhere, but at home. Let's not be naive to think a N9xx (phone) coming out next year will support USB 3.0 and SDXC, prior to computers. As much as i like Nokia, you are dreaming.

Crashdamage
2009-09-13, 21:15
I...by the time we see bigger cards and acceptable price it'll be 3+ years and you'll want a new phone by then... Technologie just keeps running ahead of anything you buy! :)
Ain't that the truth. Sure, the next generation of hardware/software will be better. It (almost) always is. There's always something better just around the corner. Jeez...the N900 will be very good, state-of-the-art. It's so new we don't even have it yet, much less the next generation after that.

Sometimes I just feel I'd rather use something very good now instead of dreaming about using something even better later and so have neither one in my hands and miss out on the fun. I could get hit by a truck tomorrow too. So I placed an order as soon as the N900 was available.

texaslabrat
2009-09-13, 21:32
. I could get hit by a truck tomorrow too.

Well, aren't you just a little ray of sunshine today? :p

c_legaspi
2009-09-13, 21:46
im not buying because my current phone is doing me just fine (x1a). i would of bought this phone about a year ago before i bought my x1a. this phone (n900) is a year late for me and in a sense old hardware technology compared to my current phone.
i just revived/pulled out my old n770 and started to use it again.

Laughing Man
2009-09-13, 22:48

Yeah... I don't think SDXC is going be present in phones anytime soon if ever. The general market trend seems to be going towards smaller cards such as the smaller SD cards. Disappointing considering my n800 currently carries 2 16 GB SDHC cards and I was hoping to just bring that to my next device..

remister
2009-09-13, 22:56
I currently have a T-Mobile G1.
I am not sure if I want to jump the gun and get this device, but it sure looks amazing with the specs. I have heard that it will work with T-Mobile 3G bands if I get the phone unlocked. Can I stay with the current G1 Data Plan or is there a different plan that I would get? Will my current SIM card be able to used in the device? If I were to get the device and not to like it, is there a refund thing that I can do?
Thank you for your time.

texaslabrat
2009-09-13, 23:01
I currently have a T-Mobile G1.
I am not sure if I want to jump the gun and get this device, but it sure looks amazing with the specs. I have heard that it will work with T-Mobile 3G bands if I get the phone unlocked. Can I stay with the current G1 Data Plan or is there a different plan that I would get? Will my current SIM card be able to used in the device? If I were to get the device and not to like it, is there a refund thing that I can do?
Thank you for your time.

I'm pretty sure the G1 plan is specific to the G1..though you should be able to switch to the 'normal' data plan (I don't know what, if any, complications being under contract for said G1 might cause).

I've signed up with T-mobile in preparation for the N900. I just got the "normal" unlimited data/messenging plan for non-smart-phones ($20 add-on per line on the family plan I have). I have full confidence that I'm good to go once my N900 arrives and pop in the sim (currently residing in my n95).

Crashdamage
2009-09-13, 23:16
...I have heard that it will work with T-Mobile 3G bands if I get the phone unlocked.
It will, absolutely.

Can I stay with the current G1 Data Plan or is there a different plan that I would get?
I had the G1 plan, switched it over to the Android data plan a while back because...well, I can't remember exactly why now, but there was no change in price or service. Basically, the G1-specific plans are just being phased out. When I get my N900 all I have to do is call 611 and tell them. They do some kinda click-click reconfiguration and I'll be on a data plan for unlocked phones. Still no change in price or service and no waiting. The change happens in seconds and I'll be good to go.

Will my current SIM card be able to used in the device?
Yes.

If I were to get the device and not to like it, is there a refund thing that I can do?
You'll have to contact Nokia USA about that.

remister
2009-09-13, 23:33
It will, absolutely.

When I get my N900 all I have to do is call 611 and tell them. They do some kinda click-click reconfiguration and I'll be on a data plan for unlocked phones. Still no change in price or service and no waiting. The change happens in seconds and I'll be good to go.

Since the my plan has unlimited texting with the plan, will it be carried over to the unlocked phones data plan?

Crashdamage
2009-09-14, 00:00
Since the my plan has unlimited texting with the plan, will it be carried over to the unlocked phones data plan?
Yes. I'm told nothing changes about the plan or price. They only have to do a minor reconfiguration on their end.

remister
2009-09-14, 00:11
So after I change the data service. And I wanted to use my G1 for something, I will be able to use my G1 right?

Crashdamage
2009-09-14, 00:38
So after I change the data service...I will be able to use my G1 right?
I could be wrong, don't hold me to this, I didn't ask that specific question....but my impression was that the 3G on the G1 will not work after the change. But I haven't confirmed this. You could call 611 and ask. Might get lucky and talk to someone familiar with the situtation that can give a definite answer.

Of course, everything except 3G will still work as before on the G1 - Edge, GPRS voice, etc. And maybe I'm wrong about the 3G...

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-14, 01:54
You implied that with the iPhone you had to pinch to zoom, and I believed you. The correction, that you can double-tap to zoom, was important to keep me from being mislead.

Nah, you misinterpreted what I wrote and drew your own conclusions based on that. :rolleyes:

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-14, 02:09

Congratulations! You've been duped by the flash card industry into believing SDXC is a compatibility-breaking release requiring additional hardware support.

The truth is, every Linux device that currently supports SDHC also support SDXC without issue. That is, of course, assuming you're using a reasonable filesystem like ext3 (as opposed to exFAT). The SDHC spec was artificially limited to 32GB by restricting the address space to only 16 of the 22 bits available.*

For the new SDHC high capacity card (2.0) implementation, 22 bits of the identification string are used to indicate the memory size in increments of 512 KBytes. Currently 16 of the 22 bits are allowed to be used, giving a maximum size of 32 GB. All SDHC 4-GB and larger cards must be 2.0 implementations. Two bits that were previously reserved and fixed at 0 are now used for identifying the type of card, 0=standard, 1=HC, 2=reserved, 3=reserved. Non-HC devices are not programmed to read this code and therefore cannot correctly read the identification of the card.

Thankfully, Linux ignores this artificial limit and has long been capable of addressing all 22 bits. What this means, is that the only encumbrance to using proper SDXC cards in current and future tablet devices (or, in fact, any current Linux device with SDHC support) is support for exFAT read/write. Which is on its way and only a software install away once provided.

So, no, there are no issues whatsoever with buying an SDHC-supporting Linux device now and using SDXC later. No more FUD, please.

*Which, of course, is because FAT becomes cumbersome past 32GB. Hopefully we can be rid of that blight upon the technology industry at some point.

R-R
2009-09-14, 03:31
So, no, there are no issues whatsoever with buying an SDHC-supporting Linux device now and using SDXC later. No more FUD, please.

Uhm, thanks for this information, 2080 GB N900, here we come! :D

danahyatt
2009-09-14, 05:29
I could be wrong, don't hold me to this, I didn't ask that specific question....but my impression was that the 3G on the G1 will not work after the change. But I haven't confirmed this. You could call 611 and ask. Might get lucky and talk to someone familiar with the situtation that can give a definite answer.

Of course, everything except 3G will still work as before on the G1 - Edge, GPRS voice, etc. And maybe I'm wrong about the 3G...

I'm thinking about buying a G1 for my next smart phone. The N900 doesn't impress me much. The G1 will have 3G or 4G but I want a jail break. I will go with a sim from a go phone, if possible. No more contracts for me. AT&T is not good to their customers.

remister
2009-09-14, 09:18
I'm thinking about buying a G1 for my next smart phone. The N900 doesn't impress me much. The G1 will have 3G or 4G but I want a jail break. I will go with a sim from a go phone, if possible. No more contracts for me. AT&T is not good to their customers.
I might sell my G1 if I get the N900, so if you want mines we can make a deal or something.

kkhitzat
2009-09-14, 10:20
I've got mi own n900 reserved. Just waiting for october :cool:
By the way, nokia sapin says "first week of october" and i readed somewhere this forums middle of october :confused: Is that poassible??

dieg
2009-09-14, 10:25
I've got mi own n900 reserved. Just waiting for october :cool:
By the way, nokia sapin says "first week of october" and i readed somewhere this forums middle of october :confused: Is that poassible??

First week plus 5 - 10 days of shipping = middle of october :)

Crashdamage
2009-09-14, 10:46
I might sell my G1 if I get the N900, so if you want mines we can make a deal or something.
My G1 will probably also be up for sale when I get my N900.

remister
2009-09-14, 14:30
Crashdamage, I thought I knew you from somewhere! Your from the Android community. Well anyways, I know maemo is a really good OS by the looks of it, but does anyone know if we could, per se put an Android OS on there, since they both based on Linux?

Bratag
2009-09-14, 14:45

Me to - want a cheap g1? :)

Also putting Android on the n900 would be like putting DOS on a windows 7 box. Why would you replace what is essentially a full Linux install with one that is VERY much limited.
Add to that the fact that android does everything through a JVM (albeit a well tweaked one).
Trust me as a DEV I cannot get off the android platform quick enough. Give me my C any day of the week. Sure it might not be as easy to code in as Java (arguably) but thats why wussies dont use it :)

Crashdamage
2009-09-14, 15:05
Crashdamage, I thought I knew you from somewhere! Your from the Android community. Well anyways, I know maemo is a really good OS by the looks of it, but does anyone know if we could, per se put an Android OS on there, since they both based on Linux?
You've outed me. Yes, I'm an Android refugee-to-be.

Not sure why you'd want to replace Maemo with Android. Maemo looks to be what I always wished Android was. I mean, Android's good, but...anyway, loading Android on any device not designed for it would be a LOT of work. The kernel has to be compiled for the processor used, the correct drivers for all the hardware etc etc. IOW, not practicle unless you're a good programmer.

Not a Android or Linux-specific problem though. These things must be addressed when loading any OS on any hardware.

remister
2009-09-14, 15:09
Bratag, you're the dev of some Android apps. Damn I see a lot of android people coming to play hard ball with the n900. At least I know that I will have a device that not all teeny poppers will have, until it gets subdisized; if it does.

range
2009-09-14, 15:20
I

After the SDXC issue has been explained by the General: Why don't you buy it for EUR 599,- then if EUR 699,- is too expensive for you?

christexaport
2009-09-14, 22:03
You can switch cards at will. Sidekick and G1 plans are for specific devices, but TMo is moving away from that model. Be aware that before, the cheaper data plan was non3G. I'm not sure about now, but I had been told a year ago that that plan was for non smartphones with 3G. They can tell if you have one of those devices because there aren't many, and they're branded, so probably have some sort of user agent to know which device it is.

To make things easy, just spend the extra $5 and cya. The service is phenomenal in my area.

klinglerware
2009-09-14, 23:12
You can switch cards at will. Sidekick and G1 plans are for specific devices, but TMo is moving away from that model. Be aware that before, the cheaper data plan was non3G. I'm not sure about now, but I had been told a year ago that that plan was for non smartphones with 3G. They can tell if you have one of those devices because there aren't many, and they're branded, so probably have some sort of user agent to know which device it is.

To make things easy, just spend the extra $5 and cya. The service is phenomenal in my area.

3G access is not contingent on the cost of your plan. Many T-mobile users with unbranded or debranded phones with the AWS 1700 band have successfully accessed 3G data speeds even with the cheaper data plans ($5.99 and $9.99).

But with that being said, I agree that to be on the safe side, if you want things to "just work" with a minimum of hacking, and if you want to observe T-mobile's TOS, you really should be paying for the smartphone plan if you intend to use cellular data with your N900.

Also, not having the "officially sanctioned" plan becomes a nuisance if T-mobile decides to subsidize it. For some reason, T-mobile either can't track the IMEI code or just doesn't care about your fancy unlocked smartphone. But, as some unlocked Android phone users have found, the gravy train ends once T-mobile decides to add your phone to their lineup: suddenly, T-mo will let you know that your phone is identifiable to them, and they will shut your data off if they feel that you are not on the appropriate plan.

Laughing Man
2009-09-15, 02:36
Me to - want a cheap g1? :)

Also putting Android on the n900 would be like putting DOS on a windows 7 box. Why would you replace what is essentially a full Linux install with one that is VERY much limited.
Add to that the fact that android does everything through a JVM (albeit a well tweaked one).
Trust me as a DEV I cannot get off the android platform quick enough. Give me my C any day of the week. Sure it might not be as easy to code in as Java (arguably) but thats why wussies dont use it :)

Haha, because Android is going to be a popular platform that's more accessible due to the plethora of devices that will be out for it (already many manufacturers have released or are planning on releasing a phone with Android). Thus they would eventually have the dominant marketshare as phones are gradually replaced with Android based phones =P. By having a VM of Android that gives us the best of both worlds. The openness of Maemo and the freedom to do whatever we want, and Android apps.

Heck if we could have an iPhone emulation I'd take that too. =P

Bratag
2009-09-15, 03:21
Haha, because Android is going to be a popular platform that's more accessible due to the plethora of devices that will be out for it (already many manufacturers have released or are planning on releasing a phone with Android). Thus they would eventually have the dominant marketshare as phones are gradually replaced with Android based phones =P. By having a VM of Android that gives us the best of both worlds. The openness of Maemo and the freedom to do whatever we want, and Android apps.

Yep nothing like adding more and more layers between the software and the hardware. As a dev of 6+ apps for the platform I can tell you that in addition to the HUGE holes in the API (no accelerated 2d graphics etc), is the fact that the JVM doesnt do data manipulation well. I have several graphics filters - all of which are pixel based and they run like crap because the Java simply isnt up to the job.

But good luck with android. I will still be coding for it purely to keep my hand in all areas.

rheve
2009-09-15, 07:27
no buy.

i have a phone

i want a new (up to date) internet tablet.

Same feeling. Loved my N800. Looking for another MID.

christexaport
2009-09-15, 20:06
Why not say screw Android as is and port Qt to Android? Is this something Nokia would have to do, or can the community do it on its own?

remister
2009-09-16, 02:52
I wonder how many people are still going to get the n900 unlock?
Do you think T-Mobile will ever subsidize the phone?

neatojones
2009-09-16, 03:41
I'd buy a device in the N9XX class that supported Verizon's network...I'm stuck on it with my family plan. I'd also probably wait a while before I bought it for the price to go down.

christexaport
2009-09-16, 05:33
neatojones, just use a MyFi and Google Voice. Its worth it.

neatojones
2009-09-17, 00:14
neatojones, just use a MyFi and Google Voice. Its worth it.
I've been seriously considering it...only problem is that I don't think that the mifi data plan would get me off the hook for my current line.

Plus, I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering if one of those usb drives that you plug in might be better in the long term due to the difference in size, I'd bet you could even tweak it like Craves1 did with the addon SD card for N810...but the issues with this would be having drivers and probably worse battery drain.

..but trust me, I've been considering THAT option like you wouldn't believe.

dccupp
2009-09-18, 13:31

I put in a preorder for N900.

I had such high hopes for Android and I have been waiting for the platform to mature but they are taking their damn sweet time (all hardware released to date has been basically the same reference stuff in different packages). I'm not going to drop hundreds of dollars on hardware that is a couple years old at this point.

Things that pushed me to Nokia: Tethering and Skype support.

Android's supposed to be an open platform, but no Skype so far even over WiFi. Also doesn't support tethering which my ancient Sony Ericsson K800i can do.

I can do Skype on my 5800 with Fring. Works OK but I'm looking forward to having Skype officially supported. Not all that excited about having to log in to communications services through a third party but having a working solution is better than no solution at all.

I want to move forward when I buy new tech, not backwards.

The rumored Motorola Sholes seems up to it hardware wise, but would probably still have no tethering and no Skype.

Frank Banul
2009-09-18, 14:15
Much like support for Yahoo on Pidgin or RTCOMM for the tablet. There's nothing technically keeping it from happening. Buy for what the today's tablet supports today, not for what it's technically capable of supporting, unless of course you plan on providing the capability yourself, which is thankfully technically possible.

Thankfully, Linux ignores this artificial limit and has long been capable of addressing all 22 bits. What this means, is that the only encumbrance to using proper SDXC cards in current and future tablet devices (or, in fact, any current Linux device with SDHC support) is support for exFAT read/write. Which is on its way and only a software install away once provided.

Frank

tuxfoo
2009-09-26, 03:05
I previously thought I'd wait for an AT&T 3G compatible n900. However, after google's shenanigans today (killing any functional 3rd party android roms for my G1), I'll be picking up an n900 and will settle for edge speed.

I would still appreciate a Verizon or AT&T 3G version of the n900 from Nokia (or for T-Mobile to have any sort of reasonable coverage in Madison, WI area).

Midget010
2009-09-26, 08:33
I'm gonna buy if it's good when I try it out. Otherwise I'm going for the Palm Pre.

zkyevolved
2009-09-26, 10:05
Not all that excited about having to log in to communications services through a third party but having a working solution is better than no solution at all.

Explain?

The communication services is part of the OS. I think I'm misinterpreting what you want to say. lol.

christexaport
2009-09-26, 22:48
The communications, I assume IM, etc., aren't routed through anyone else's servers. They work via plugins. Not like using Nimbuzz, this is the real deal.