PDA

View Full Version : Nokia devices size comparison

Reggie
2009-08-27, 14:59
All About Symbian (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10379_Nokia_N900-Maemo_5_powered_mob.php) has a pretty good size comparison pic, which makes me want the N900 even more:

flareup
2009-08-27, 15:25
it just confirms why I don't want it - look at the beautiful screen of the N810 - rover just won't hack it for watching vids, one of my primary uses for NITs.

krisse
2009-08-27, 15:28
it just confirms why I don't want it - look at the beautiful screen of the N810 - rover just won't hack it for watching vids, one of my primary uses for NITs.

The playback would probably be better quality on the N900 as it has better hardware. Are you just worried about the physical size of the screen?

Cruelkix
2009-08-27, 17:19
Yeah hes talking screen size. I'm with him. I watcha lot of videos on my n810. I travel a lot for work and it is my life saver on planes. I would love the horse power of the n900 but a larger screen would be sweet candy. That is truly the only thing that I would change. I love the rest of it. I will continue my hope for a seperate device with more screen realestate.

drizek
2009-08-27, 18:07
I would happily give up .5" to get smooth video playback.

The problem though is when you look at these devices in profile. It ain't pretty.

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/25104-Nokia-n810-vs-Apple-iPhone-vs-N900

krisse
2009-08-27, 18:59
Yeah hes talking screen size. I'm with him. I watcha lot of videos on my n810. I travel a lot for work and it is my life saver on planes. I would love the horse power of the n900 but a larger screen would be sweet candy. That is truly the only thing that I would change. I love the rest of it. I will continue my hope for a seperate device with more screen realestate.

One thing in the N900's favour is TV Out, you can use that to view videos on any size screen as long as it's got composite or SCART inputs.

Wouldn't help you on the move though...

I would happily give up .5" to get smooth video playback.

The problem though is when you look at these devices in profile. It ain't pretty.

The iPhone doesn't have a keyboard though. Can their thicknesses really be compared directly?

Presumably we'll see a keyboardless Maemo phone next year which would be a more direct match though.

qole
2009-08-27, 19:08

I don't think my N800 will self-destruct when placed near an N900... You can have both...

You could take the N900 with you everywhere in your pocket, and use it as a phone, and keep an N8x0 in your backpack for watching (transcoded) videos.

Cadabena
2009-08-27, 19:30
Their N900 is stretched too far wide! I took the challenge of making another one, containing a few more important comparison devices

http://www.freewebs.com/xpsp-by-cadabena/Devices.png

Cruelkix
2009-08-27, 19:36
One thing in the N900's favour is TV Out, you can use that to view videos on any size screen as long as it's got composite or SCART inputs.

Wouldn't help you on the move though....

Yeah, I'm a huge fan that they added tv out. My question on taht however is this:

I have a 7" aftermarket touchscreen that uses USB as the input for the touch screen and will accept composite for the video. I will plug the usb into the OTG micro USB of the N900. Now a have a larger Touch screen for my n900. (i do this in my car lets say, for larger nav and interface so i dont crash my car)

Can I charge it via USB whilst using hte USB for the touchscreen interface? I'm assuming no. This also sucks for anyone trying to use usb and charge for any reason.

flareup
2009-08-27, 19:45
The playback would probably be better quality on the N900 as it has better hardware. Are you just worried about the physical size of the screen?

yes, absolutely. i see that even toshiba have a 4.1 out now...

krisse
2009-08-27, 19:51
Can I charge it via USB whilst using hte USB for the touchscreen interface? I'm assuming no. This also sucks for anyone trying to use usb and charge for any reason.

I don't know what would happen on that setup as I've never used a USB touchscreen with a tablet.

BUT... the Nokia N97 has USB charging through its microUSB port and that can be used simultaneously for data activity while the phone is charging.

I would assume the N900 would have the same ability?

drizek
2009-08-27, 20:07
The iPhone doesn't have a keyboard though. Can their thicknesses really be compared directly?

Presumably we'll see a keyboardless Maemo phone next year which would be a more direct match though.

Yes, they can. The Motorola Sholes, if the preliminary specs are correct, is only 2mm thicker than an iPhone and it has a bigger battery than the N900 and a slightly higher resolution 3.7" screen, all this with a 4 row keyboard and it weighs about 15g less.

The form factor of the sholes is just about perfect, but it has no internal storage and the CPU is still unknown.

qole
2009-08-27, 20:09
I have a USB HD that has a split USB cable, one for power only and one for data/power. I wonder if the N900 could be charged while using it as a USB host that way...

wesgreen
2009-08-27, 20:49
agreed. in fact, i would rather have a slightly larger screen than the n810 has with the same outside dimensions.

FRZ
2009-09-02, 01:11
I thought the n97 also had 3.5" screen but, the n900 screen look bigger. What's different in the size?

FRZ
2009-09-02, 01:14
The playback would probably be better quality on the N900 as it has better hardware. Are you just worried about the physical size of the screen?I am. Everything else look nice but, for a phone the size is in good standing.

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-02, 01:16
I thought the n97 also had 3.5" screen but, the n900 screen look bigger. What's different in the size?

16:9 vs 15:9

nwerneck
2009-09-02, 02:33
This image shows the size of a 3.5 screen in your 4.1 tablet. The white square is the smaller screen (nearly) centered, and the blue one is flushed.

The 3.5 screen being 85% of the size of the 4.1 means it should take the same area of you vision if you put the device 15% closer to your eyes. You can test this with this image, see where the screen is, then move it closer to you until the rectangle takes the same size...

I didn't find it much bad. It may be good to prevent people from snooping! :D

klinglerware
2009-09-08, 18:19
16:9 vs 15:10

Does anybody know if there are other devices out there with the n900's screen dimensions?

I'm considering getting some sort of screen protector--and since n900-specific third-party accessories probably won't start coming out until after the device is released, perhaps something designed for a device with similar screen real-estate would be a useful proxy in the meantime.

texaslabrat
2009-09-08, 18:27
I'm considering getting some sort of screen protector--and since n900-specific third-party accessories probably won't start coming out until after the device is released, perhaps something designed for a device with similar screen real-estate would be a useful proxy in the meantime.

They're starting to come out already:
http://www.superetrader.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=10113&slim=true

klinglerware
2009-09-08, 18:30
They're starting to come out already:
http://www.superetrader.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=10113&slim=true

Cool, I should wait then.

Funny that they have only 2 in stock. But of course, that is still 2 more than the 0 n900s in stock.

Cadabena
2009-09-08, 19:24
16:9 vs 15:10

You mean 15:9 (or 5:3)...

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-08, 19:28
You mean 15:9 (or 5:3)...

Oops, I did indeed.

ruskie
2009-09-09, 07:55
Hmmm I think anything would be a good upgrade from my N95 for me. Screen size and software in general :)

I wouldn't mind a 4" device with phone support but if this turns out to be usable for my needs really don't need it ;)