PDA

View Full Version : Expansys USA - N900 for $199.99?

Reggie
2009-08-28, 01:03
I'm sure this is an error. Who wants to pre-order? ;)
http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=186949

ARJWright
2009-08-28, 01:15
WOAH!
I might be getting Christmas early.

vkv.raju
2009-08-28, 01:33
Is it a trustable store?? How would be the cancellation procedure?? Please

vkv.raju
2009-08-28, 01:37
I'm sure that anyone who places a preorder now will be notified that the price has changed.

I seriously doubt they would let that ride.

But my question is, will they let me cancel if I don't agree to their new price? Also, is this store expansys-usa.com reputable? How would you rate it? Thanks in advance,

JayOnThaBeat
2009-08-28, 01:39
But my question is, will they let me cancel if I don't agree to their new price? Also, is this store expansys-usa.com reputable? How would you rate it? Thanks in advance,

Oh, I'm sure. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Expansys is a pretty well-known company. I've never ordered from them, but I'd imagine they're pretty reputable.

mmurfin87
2009-08-28, 01:43
When you go to place your order, the "price" disappears and is replaced by " *TBA ".

I think I'll wait.

dormant
2009-08-28, 01:43
Unfortunately Expansys have covered themselves in their Terms and Conditions. 5.2 sets the pulse racing, but 5.3 kills all hope.

5.1 While we take every measure to ensure the prices on our website are as accurate as possible, we reserve the right to change a price in exceptional circumstances. If a price is corrected due to exceptional circumstances, customers will be informed of the change before payment is processed and offered the opportunity to cancel the order.

5.2 If an order is placed for an item with an erroneous price, and the erroneous price is less than the cost price of the item, we reserve the right to offer to process the order at cost price or the the opportunity for the customer to cancel the order.

5.3 Prices on orders for out-of-stock or pre-release items are valid for one week after the order is placed. If the price changes when stock becomes available customers will be informed of the change before payment is processed and offered the opportunity to cancel the order.

GeneralAntilles
2009-08-28, 01:45
Is it a trustable store?? How would be the cancellation procedure?? Please

If the price changes they'll contact you before they ship.

tekplay
2009-08-28, 01:52
Expansys is a reputable store based out of the UK and you will not be charged till they ship this order, but as Dormant has already posted, point 5.3 in their Terms & Conditions will most likely apply for this sale.
Is this a way for them to improve their webstats ???

dormant
2009-08-28, 01:55
Is this a way for them to improve their webstats ???

More importantly, does this mean it will be available unlocked in the US?

Texrat
2009-08-28, 01:58
I've bought from expansys with zero problems.

Just wish I had the cash to test this ad... :(

YoDude
2009-08-28, 02:03
Do they also sell cellular service plans?

Texrat
2009-08-28, 02:06
I went ahead and ordered one. When the final form came up, price said "TBA" (to be announced).

Looks like I may be cancelling. :D

EDIT: oh wait-- that was shipping. The product price is blank on the confirmation.

dormant
2009-08-28, 02:14
I ordered as well.

The proper price will probably be cheaper than getting one from Europe in the near future.

Texrat
2009-08-28, 02:18
If it isn't $199 (+ reasonable shipping), I'll be cancelling.

YoDude
2009-08-28, 02:23
If it isn't $199 (+ reasonable shipping), I'll be cancelling.

Shipping should be 'bout $600 or so... :D

It's starting to look like even 500 euro's is wishful thinking.

http://werbemittel2.nokia.de/nos/startseite/kw35/ppa_n900.jpg

dormant
2009-08-28, 02:27
That 599 is 500 plus tax.

Which is what was announced.

YoDude
2009-08-28, 02:53
That 599 is 500 plus tax.

Which is what was announced.

I'm hearing 649 euro in France. It's been awhile for me but does VAT vary that much between countries? 20 to 30%

649 euros is the expected price in France, according to French sites.

See: http://www.01net.com/editorial/505455/nokia-n900-le-smartphone-dope-au-linux-arrive-en-france/ (http://www.01net.com/editorial/505455/nokia-n900-le-smartphone-dope-au-linux-arrive-en-france/)

(English: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.01net.com%2Feditorial%2F505455% 2Fnokia-n900-le-smartphone-dope-au-linux-arrive-en-france%2F&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0= (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.01net.com%2Feditorial%2F505455% 2Fnokia-n900-le-smartphone-dope-au-linux-arrive-en-france%2F&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0=))

dormant
2009-08-28, 03:07
Yes VAT varies, up to 25%, ouch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe

Germany is 19% and France is 19.6% so that doesn't explain the disparity.

MountainX
2009-08-28, 03:17
I ordered it.

In my order I said to them that if the actual price differs from the advertised price of $199, they must contact me for my approval before charging me or shipping it.

gerbick
2009-08-28, 03:52
Okay... I have to admit. $199 is one attractive price indeed.

GeneralAntilles
2009-08-28, 03:58
Ordered 2. Patiently awaiting the "Would you still like to proceed with your order at $699 per unit?"

tpaixao
2009-08-28, 04:10
I ordered one too. Who knows? we might get lucky...

daveb70
2009-08-28, 04:20
Well the terms indicate the price shown is good for 1 week. Based on that and the additional statement, they can readily update the price at actual release time (or literally just 1 week after your order) and then you won't have the option to get the low price, only the new or to cancel.

So if they were posting this price during the first week of October and it actually came out within 7 days, only then would you [appear to] be guaranteed your original order price. They probably bank on people not checking their email in time to stop shipment at the new price.

I know they are fairly reputable as a seller but I don't think the price will stick. Even so- Shhhh, close the thread, don't draw attention to it and maybe it will fly.

jaem
2009-08-28, 04:20
Well, don't everybody order it... ;) If there's any chance at all of them honoring their mistake (which is mighty slim), it will tend toward zero the more people try to take advantage of it.

Romeo0119
2009-08-28, 04:22
I feel like I'm getting trick haha, preorder one too. I used one of my credit card that has a max limit of 500 bucks so it wont fly if they try to charge me more for it. BTW, why did they list the 3g band only 900,2100 and missing the 1700. Isnt the unlock version suppose to have 900,1700 and 2100?

Texrat
2009-08-28, 04:39
Well, don't everybody order it... ;) If there's any chance at all of them honoring their mistake (which is mighty slim), it will tend toward zero the more people try to take advantage of it.

Yeah... like most people will cooperate and let a fast handful get the good deal... :D

Texrat
2009-08-28, 07:07
Yes... we need to form a reeeally big class.

pixelseventy2
2009-08-28, 07:19
price "to be announced" on Expansys UK :( I'm hoping (but not optimistic) for around the £450 mark.

Neal2Me
2009-08-28, 14:03
As an employee of eXpansys, I can tell you that price of $199.99 is not correct. At this time, a price has not been confirmed. If you have placed a pre-order already, we will contact you once we know a price and release date. You will have the option to keep your order or cancel it at that time. We will not charge your card until you have confirmed that you still want the N900. If you have any questions, you may email us at sales@expansys-usa.com and we will be happy to assist you.

vvaz
2009-08-28, 14:09
I just wonder if it was simple mistake or testing the waters for future price and general interest in device :)

Neal2Me
2009-08-28, 14:20
I just wonder if it was simple mistake or testing the waters for future price and general interest in device :)

It was a system glitch that copied the N810s information over to the N900. The website has been updated.

Texrat
2009-08-28, 14:21
Bummer. :(

allnameswereout
2009-08-28, 14:38
I'm sure that anyone who places a preorder now will be notified that the price has changed.

I seriously doubt they would let that ride.There are probably some small letters here and there that the information is provided as-is and might inaccurate, that it bears no legal ground, that misprints/mistakes happen.

I've seen a case about this in Dutch court, and the store won, because the advertised price of the device was 'so ridiculously out of sync with the real worth of it' that the customer could have reasonably known it was a mistake. However, thats not common law, and entirely different jurisdiction.

dormant
2009-08-28, 15:52
So now it is given as Our Price: Not announced.

So you can pre-order and are required to give credit card details for an unspecified amount? Expansys are covered by their Terms and Conditions, but imho this is a stupid way to sell things as Expansys will have to contact all the orderers.

Maybe they wanted to get the jump on other internet sellers and grab the first orders from anyone that bites.

They hooked me, so it worked.

ysss
2009-08-28, 16:27
Ya know what pre-orders are for?
To guarantee you a set, in case there are more demands than supply. If there are enough people willing to book a set without price incentive, then the retailer would not see any reason to provide the preorder discount.

Texrat
2009-08-28, 16:29
Ya know what pre-orders are for?
To guarantee you a set, in case there are more demands than supply. If there are enough people willing to book a set without price incentive, then the retailer would not see any reason to provide the preorder discount.

That's certainly a given, but it also would not be unheard of for a retailer to offer a really attractive price to the first, say, 50 purchasers. Been there, bought that.

jalladin
2009-08-28, 18:01
That's certainly a given, but it also would not be unheard of for a retailer to offer a really attractive price to the first, say, 50 purchasers. Been there, bought that.

hey Textrat ( or whom ever else cares to be kind, i just value rats opinion with him being one of a hand full of ppl that seem very knowledgeable ) given my current situation do you think its a good idea to pre-order the n900. with me in Korea now and possibly having a good chance of going back to the states i know it wouldn't hurt to entertain the thought of getting T-mobile service, after being burned by AT&T i never want to go back to them at all. I feel like I've barely used my n810 the last 2-3 months I've had it ( it took a good month to really get it how i want it, and the n900 is basically what i wanted the n810 to be out of the box. after not coming to this site for so long i ( about 3 weeks or so ) i missed a lot but i'm just about caught up, but just to clarify ( as silly as this question may be ) is it a technically a phone or are they what they should have did with the n810 and promoting it as a MID with cellular capabilities... just asking because if its not really a phone why so much fuss over which carry to sell it ( thank god it wasn't AT&T though or i would have cried for weeks ), even though i totally dig the sim card ability which i didn't know you could bounce around from carrier to carrier as long as you have a sim .

i guess i dnt really want to be doing this again in x-amount of months when they come out with another tablet only version.. though the difference wouldn't be as great form n900 to new tablet as n810 to n900 IMO, is it really worth it ( keeping in mind i'm a gadget lover so the price is all that really stands in the way), is expancsys selling it with out the contract or with it ?

thanks,:o

Texrat
2009-08-28, 18:19
LOL @ Jay.

Jalladin, I appreciate the kudos, but I'm not sure how much help I can be in steering you right. Recent discussion about AT&T usage has me concerned, because that's what I'm on right now. So my case will be very different than yours, obviously in numerous ways.

But I will say this: IF it gets decent network speeds on AT&T, and the price was $400 or less, yeah, *I* would buy it. Your mileage may vary.

jalladin
2009-08-28, 18:37
sorry about the misspell, its just every time i see ur name i say textrat in my head ( wierd i know)

but umm TEX a.k.a Texrat:o : thanks, and it may be hard to do but if this is really all of what i hope it is then i might have to the dis-functional relationship i had with AT&T ( wasn't as bad as i may make it seem but i often wondered if other services were any better since it always seemed greener from what my friends told me, but the rollover min where very nice) for the n900.

thanks

jalladin
2009-08-28, 18:43
God, I wish I could draw / photoshop...

A rodent sending an SMS

:D

lol, that is pretty much the pic in my head when i see the name and his icon peeking at me while i read:p... no offence TEX

did you change your name? because i thought it use to be jayontheboat... well funny think is you would really laugh if i told you what came to mind when i read your name for the first time jay, j/k ... gotta love these forms and ppl who dnt do spell check

kenny
2009-08-31, 22:56
even though i totally dig the sim card ability which i didn't know you could bounce around from carrier to carrier as long as you have a sim .

i, is expancsys selling it with out the contract or with it ?

thanks,:o
IINM;
Expansys will be selling un-locked versions. So will many other reputable online dealers (search around a bit.)
In the US, the N900 will only work with AT&T and T-Mobile (because of GSM architecture.) With AT&T, voice will work normally and data will be at EDGE speeds (aka 2.5 G). With T-Mobile, 3G data speeds will be possible wherever T-Mob has this coverage, but the rest of the time T-Mob will also be at EDGE speeds for data service.
Unfortunately, Nokia will probably have a T-Mobile exclusivity contract, T-Mobile will screw around with the phone a bit and then offer it at the usual, much cheaper, subsidized/contract price. (Compare the Nokia E71 and then the AT&T Nokia E71x.)

If you can wait around some, the street and internet price of the N900 should settle down somewhat. Considering the expense of a 2 year contract with America's mobile providers, I sometimes don't mind paying extra for a un-subsidized Nokia phone.

Laughing Man
2009-08-31, 23:46
Haha.. if only. I'd buy it right now if that was the price.

MountainX
2009-09-04, 22:23
Update from ExpanSys USA. I preordered this while the price was listed as $199. I called today to check the status. They told me that the price is now $799 and the expected ship date is October 19th. So I canceled the order. I'll either order from Nokia (if I can use a prepaid T-Mobile plan) or from T-Mobile (if subsidized and I have to go with a regular plan).

Texrat
2009-09-04, 22:25
I'm really thinking they were trying to get an idea how many to stock...

allnameswereout
2009-09-04, 22:49
I'm really thinking they were trying to get an idea how many to stock...Possibly, but then they shouldn't have made the price ridiculously low.

Time for a quiz. Tilt your head 30 degrees to the left. Done? OK. Now, ask yourself the question: is this number 1 a seven or a one?

CyberCat
2009-09-04, 22:56
Looks like they updated it to $799.99 ship date says October 19, although it is the UK version. Is that the date that the N900 will be shipping worldwide?

fnordianslip
2009-09-04, 23:01
My order from Nokia UK shows this:

Order Date: 3-9-2009
Anticipated Ship Date: 3 to 4 weeks

CyberCat
2009-09-04, 23:03
Anticipated Ship Date: 3 to 4 weeks

Huh, interesting. Since it seems that even worse case that's still several weeks faster than the mentioned date of October 19...

kdrozd
2009-09-05, 14:59
And now the proce is 799 USD :P

tpaixao
2009-09-07, 04:48
And now the proce is 799 USD :P

Actually, there are now two prices at expansys USA: $799 for the unlocked UK version and $649.99 for "N900 unlocked", which I assume will be the US version. Also, it says that it will work with T-Mobile.
Anyone knows what the difference might be?

I think I'm going to cancel my preorder...

CyberCat
2009-09-07, 04:54
Actually, there are now two prices at expansys USA: $799 for the unlocked UK version and $649.99 for "N900 unlocked", which I assume will be the US version. Also, it says that it will work with T-Mobile.
Anyone knows what the difference might be?

I think I'm going to cancel my preorder...

I think you're right. It's interesting that is says the UK version is " Out of Stock, Normally 5-10 days" but the US(?) version just says pre-ordering. Also interesting that it says the $650 version works with at&t and T-Mobile, but US 3G Data is only with T-Mobile. http://imgur.com/qyEvY.jpg
Another interesting difference is the $650 version's specs say "WCDMA 900/1700/2100 (HSPA)" while the UK versions only says "WCDMA: 900/2100 (Dual-Band) "

dormant
2009-09-08, 22:26
Expansys continue to cut and paste things onto their web page without any editing.

You can buy the UK version from Expansys USA for $799.99 and get a free voucher for thirty of your British Pounds.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=186949

wtf?

qole
2009-09-08, 22:38
As far as I understand, it is the same device. Buy the US one for cheaper, if you can get it!

christexaport
2009-09-08, 22:57
the only differences will be the WCDMA radios. The US version will be TMo only for 3G data, but the World/Euro model will be for every network outside of the Americas. There has been no at&t WCDMA model for the at&t 3G network yet, so the only option for 3G is TMoUSA or any carrier that uses 1700/2100 MHz for 3G, which isn't anyone else at the moment, but Canada has a couple carriers with plans for such a network.

christexaport
2009-09-08, 23:00
Nope, it's always been JayOnThaBeat with this spelling & caps.

The name was given to me by a rapper that I used to make beats for... he used it in one of his lines, and written out, it had the "Tha" spelling.

So that's where that came from.
I'm an MPC/MV8000 king, do a little songwriting and composition as well! Hello, my production brother in arms! Glad to know the music flows through here.

We need to get together sometime and hook something up. Any links to published songs or tracks?

(Pssst...Texrat is a songwriter himself)

Now back on topic...