PDA

View Full Version : The AT&T 3G issue

GeneralAntilles
2009-08-28, 16:30
So, as usual with Maemo, we have a problem. It would seem that, based on the published specifications (http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N900) for the N900, the next device does not support any AT&T 3G bands, and is limited to only T-Mobile 3G support.

There are two problems with this:

First, it means that Nokia has chosen to only support the major US carrier with the worst cellular coverage (T-Mobile 3G coverage is practically non-existent where I live) and, in particular, the worst 3G coverage.*

Second, it means that those of us who are stuck on AT&T plans (2 iPhones on my plan) have no option but to cope with EDGE (not very likely considering how much emphasis Nokia has placed on 3G connectivity in Fremantle) or switch to a new T-Mobile plan (for significantly more money a month) and wish fervently for T-Mobile to put up more towers in our area.

Basically, my question (or plea, at this point) is whether the specs posted are accurate and final (and I'm screwed) or if there's the chance that we will see AT&T 3G support in another variant or new device? If not, this may very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as my and my relationship with this platform goes.

*The cynical side of me (Nokia has done a really good job of encouraging my cynical side. . . .) says this was a requirement from T-Mobile to carry the phone.

ajwatt
2009-08-28, 16:36
It just seems so short-sighted to me that they would limit the hardware in that way by omitting the AT&T band. I am wondering if it has support for AT&T 3G, but they just didn't list that in the published specs.

EIPI
2009-08-28, 16:37
Off topic - I have noticed that you've been openly disapproving of Maemo lately - a real departure from not even a year ago. Sorry to see that, GA.

On topic - Canadians may be in the same boat, as Rogers and AT+T I think use the same 3G frequencies.

christexaport
2009-08-28, 16:38
Nokia will release a NAM model for the US, Mexico, Central and South America, and Canada. However, the cost associated with only having AWS and no other frequencies implies a TMobileUSA exclusive for a specified time. This doesn't mean you won't be able to get one for at&t, just you'll have to wait a few months or a year (?) or more for the NAM model to be released, and if Tmo has an exclusive, you'll be forced to buy it unlocked for at&t via an importer from Canada or Mexico.

sachin007
2009-08-28, 16:40
So, as usual with Maemo, we have a problem. It would seem that, based on the published specifications (http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N900) for the N900, the next device does not support any AT&T 3G bands, and is limited to only T-Mobile 3G support.

There are two problems with this:

First, it means that Nokia has chosen to only support the major US carrier with the worst cellular coverage (T-Mobile 3G coverage is practically non-existent where I live) and, in particular, the worst 3G coverage.*

Second, it means that those of us who are stuck on AT&T plans (2 iPhones on my plan) have no option but to cope with EDGE (not very likely considering how much emphasis Nokia has placed on 3G connectivity in Fremantle) or switch to a new T-Mobile plan (for significantly more money a month) and wish fervently for T-Mobile to put up more towers in our area.

Basically, my question (or plea, at this point) is whether the specs posted are accurate and final (and I'm screwed) or if there's the chance that we will see AT&T 3G support in another variant or new device? If not, this may very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as my and my relationship with this platform goes.

*The cynical side of me (Nokia has done a really good job of encouraging my cynical side. . . .) says this was a requirement from T-Mobile to carry the phone.

I thought T-mobile had $25 unlimited text and data plan. Please correct me if i am wrong. If that is true it is 5$ less than the iphone plan.

Coming to you already having 2 iphones..... well you had the advantage of getting the iphone by signing a contract. So i guess it is now the advantage to the t-mobile users. I am sorry that your area doesnt have t-mobile 3g.

zerojay
2009-08-28, 16:40
Off topic - I have noticed that you've been openly disapproving of Maemo lately - a real departure from not even a year ago. Sorry to see that, GA.

On topic - Canadians may be in the same boat, as Rogers and AT+T I think use the same 3G frequencies.

Rogers appears to use T-Mobile's frequencies here in Canada.

christexaport
2009-08-28, 16:41
TMobile's 3G has been coming online very quickly, and since Nokia Seimens is building most of the network, maybe Nokia knows it'll have a new, widespread network and a selling point for iphone data probs

GeneralAntilles
2009-08-28, 16:43
This doesn't mean you won't be able to get one for at&t, just you'll have to wait a few months or a year (?) or more for the NAM model to be released, and if Tmo has an exclusive, you'll be forced to buy it unlocked for at&t via an importer from Canada or Mexico.

Waiting a few months to a year, will, unfortunately, exhaust all of what remains of my enthusiasm for Maemo.

GeneralAntilles
2009-08-28, 16:44
I thought T-mobile had $25 unlimited text and data plan. Please correct me if i am wrong. If that is true it is 5$ less than the iphone plan.

I'm not on an iPhone plan (my data and texting costs $15/mo), but I'm attached to a family plan which has two of them, and I'm not willing to pay a bunch of extra money to switch to an individual T-Mobile plan.

sachin007
2009-08-28, 16:45
T-Mobile just informed us of data plans specific to the T-Mobile G1 (these do not include the voice plan). The first plan has unlimited Web, e-mail, and messaging for $35. This plan includes:

* Unlimited Web
* Unlimited e-mail
* Unlimited messaging (text, picture, and IM)
* T-Mobile HotSpot data access

The second plan has unlimited Web and e-mail and 400 messages for $25. This plan includes:

* Unlimited Web
* Unlimited e-mail (unlimited, part of Web/data)
* Unlimited IM on Google Talk
* 400 total messages (text messages, picture messages, non-Google Talk IM)

mobiledivide
2009-08-28, 16:47
I am on ATT and will have to switch to T mobile to use the N900. For me I look at this as a bonus, I am not on contract as I always buy unlocked phones and go month to month. Here in NYC since the release of the iPhone 3G and 3GS the ATT network is so overtaxed that it is barely even EDGE speeds anymore. I attribute this to every second person I see in downtown Manhattan using an iPhone. I am hoping that the T-Mobile 3G network is more robust simply due to no iPhone users on HSPA.

In an ideal world Nokia would release two variants one on 900/1700/2100 and the other on 850/1900/2100 but I have a feeling that this phone is going to be exclusive on T-Mobile for a while.

sachin007
2009-08-28, 16:48
I'm not on an iPhone plan (my data and texting costs $15/mo), but I'm attached to a family plan which has two of them, and I'm not willing to pay a bunch of extra money to switch to an individual T-Mobile plan.

If you are not willing to switch then there is nothing anyone can do. As far as nokia's history suggests, it will release another model but it will definitely take a couple of months after the release and it will not be subsidized.

Matan
2009-08-28, 16:53
Don't you read this forum - the cell part is optional. You have the option of buying a 700$ tablet with a 3.5" screen and connecting it with bluetooth to a cellular phone that is connected to your favourite network.

Texrat
2009-08-28, 17:04
Don't you read this forum - the cell part is optional. You have the option of buying a 700$ tablet with a 3.5" screen and connecting it with bluetooth to a cellular phone that is connected to your favourite network.

If I'm forced to that measure I'd rather wait to see if a true tablet is coming.

nilchak
2009-08-28, 17:21
I too am on ATT and T-Mobile (my previous provider) sucks in signal strength by my area.

And if I have to tether my N900 to my N95 to connect to ATT, then whats the point of a convergent device ? But good to know thats a worst case scenario.

If T-Mobile's 3G coverage has improved since then I may switch (since its true NYC where I work - has bad ATT reception due to iPhone usres overload) to T-Mob.

But I still think Nokia will bring multiple devices for the different spectrums, but only after letting T-Mobile ride their 'exclusive' arrangement deal for some time.

lemmyslender
2009-08-28, 17:30
Just for fun:

Of US N8x0 users, maybe 1/3 (figuring equally for AT&T, Verizon, TMobile) are currently on TMobile, of that maybe 1/4 are near a point where they can get out of there contracts (+-3 months is 1/4 of 2yr) so roughly 8-9% could get a subsidized phone w/o substantial cost to get out of current contract. Double that for the folks that don't care. 16-20% of current tablet US tablet users could get a cheap / don't care about cost N900.

I'd guess that due to lock-in and contracts, adoption will be slow here in the US. Many of us are in the same boat as GA, too expensive to switch (in terms of money and coverage).

Nathan
2009-08-28, 17:47
At least for those on AT&T we can surmise a AT&T version of the phone once the t-mobile exclusive is done.

But I'm happily on a small carrier that is CDMA (i.e the same bands Verizon, Sprint use) -- Nokia doesn't appear to do ANY high end phones for CDMA, and so I think I'm up a creek without a paddle on the N900....

Nathan.

sachin007
2009-08-28, 17:48
At least for those on AT&T we can surmise a AT&T version of the phone once the t-mobile exclusive is done.

But I'm happily on a small carrier that is CDMA (i.e the same bands Verizon, Sprint use) -- Nokia doesn't appear to do ANY high end phones for CDMA, and so I think I'm up a creek without a paddle on the N900....

Nathan.

Now is a good time to switch. I imagine it will take atleast 6 months for nokia to release a tablet variant. By that time you can sell the phone and buy the next wide screen tablet. I plan to do that.

bigr3dd0g
2009-08-28, 18:32
GA is right though..T-Mobile 3G coverage sucks ***

http://www.cellularmaps.com/3g_compare.shtml

Texrat
2009-08-28, 18:46

Nathan.

That's based on the old war with Qualcomm... which has now become a marriage. Look for new devices soon. Now the only thing that holds CDMA back is the reluctance toward easily-swapped SIM cards.

Lord Raiden
2009-08-28, 18:56
From what I've seen, *all* networks are supported out of the box. However, due to carrier locking, only specific carriers are supported. IE, to start with Tmobile gets support first, then the others. And Nokia won't have to do anything, save for changing the locking code. To do otherwise would be too inexpensive.

It's the same reason you can only use the iPhone on the AT&T network, *UNLESS* you unlock it, and then it can move wherever you want it to. The same will be true of the n900.

sachin007
2009-08-28, 19:00
From what I've seen, *all* networks are supported out of the box. However, due to carrier locking, only specific carriers are supported. IE, to start with Tmobile gets support first, then the others. And Nokia won't have to do anything, save for changing the locking code. To do otherwise would be too inexpensive.

It's the same reason you can only use the iPhone on the AT&T network, *UNLESS* you unlock it, and then it can move wherever you want it to. The same will be true of the n900.

Sorry you are wrong. Read here for explanation.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=317416&postcount=80

Reggie
2009-08-28, 19:04
I am in the same dilemma. There is no way I can switch to T-Mobile since we don't have it in our area.

Yes, the phone component will work on AT&T, but data-wise, it will be at EDGE speed at max.

I am hoping that the NAM version will support AT&T. US T-Mobile folks can always opt to get the european version.

sachin007
2009-08-28, 19:07
I am in the same dilemma. There is no way I can switch to T-Mobile since we don't have it in our area.

Yes, the phone component will work on AT&T, but data-wise, it will be at EDGE speed at max.

I am hoping that the NAM version will support AT&T. US T-Mobile folks can always opt to get the european version.

I understand your problem. But i dont think nokia will release another variant in the very near future. My guess is that it will take atleast 3 months to release it just to give exclusivity to the carrier. Nokia should have released both versions. But i hope because of the exclusivity deal the n900 will be very well subsidized. May be u need to check again for t-mobile coverage may be they updated recently....

Reggie
2009-08-28, 19:19
I understand your problem. But i dont think nokia will release another variant in the very near future. My guess is that it will take atleast 3 months to release it just to give exclusivity to the carrier. Nokia should have released both versions. But i hope because of the exclusivity deal the n900 will be very well subsidized. May be u need to check again for t-mobile coverage may be they updated recently....

Nope, not a single T-mobile shop here.

I remember Nokia released the N95 with HSDPA 2100 support for europe and HSDPA 850 / 1900 on the NAM version. Still hoping...

sachin007
2009-08-28, 19:21
Nope, not a singe T-mobile shop here.

I remember Nokia released the N95 with HSDPA 2100 support for europe and HSDPA 850 / 1900 on the NAM version. Still hoping...

Yeah i remember. But post iphone it is all about exclusivity. No matter how hard nokia tried to fight of exclusivity and carrier lockin they are being forced to do it to compete in this stupid American market.

alephito
2009-08-28, 19:33
Should I open a new topic for "The Latin American 3G issue" or can I join this one?

In Latin America we use the same data frequency than AT&T.

theflew
2009-08-28, 19:35

You need to study those maps carefully. The t-mobile map only shows 3G where the other makes show general cell service as well. The actually 3G coverage doesn't look that much different. Basically major cities.

nilchak
2009-08-28, 19:41
Now is a good time to switch. I imagine it will take atleast 6 months for nokia to release a tablet variant. By that time you can sell the phone and buy the next wide screen tablet. I plan to do that.

What if I do not want the tablet but want to keep my N900 (provided I buy it).

More importantly to GA's point what if T-Mobile coverage is not upto par (at least with ATT I know where I do have coverage and am getting 3.5G right now) ? That's the big question.

I am still betting (personally) that there will be unlocked versions with support for ATT spectrum too.

SD69
2009-08-28, 19:59
You need to study those maps carefully. The t-mobile map only shows 3G where the other makes show general cell service as well. The actually 3G coverage doesn't look that much different. Basically major cities.Also, be aware that the T-Mo map on that site must be an old map. 3G isn't only in green; red represents those cities that have been lit this year or will be lit with 3G by Christmas.

sachin007
2009-08-28, 20:13
3G - Dark pink
edge - light pink

phi
2009-08-28, 20:15
If you guys follow T-mobile on twitter, they're rolling out 3G pretty quickly over the year. That said, who here actually travels all over the US all the time? T-mobile 3G is awesome here in DC. It works great, and the coverage is good. Everyone I know that has AT&T and on their 3G network in the area barely gets faster than EDGE speeds.

The real solution is to move to an area with T-MO 3G coverage :-D

bigr3dd0g
2009-08-28, 22:00
You need to study those maps carefully. The t-mobile map only shows 3G where the other makes show general cell service as well. The actually 3G coverage doesn't look that much different. Basically major cities.

i am looking at it carefully. the blue spots in ATTis at least 5-10x greater area than the t mobile spots.

http://coverage.t-mobile.com/default.aspx?MapType=Data

heres the map sachiin posted. the dark red marks are where the 3g is.

if you make the maps the same size as the ATT map, the 3g for t mobile wouldn't cover tip of your index finger. whereas the ATT maps..each state with coverage has more coverage than t mobile has in the entire country (slightly exaggerated but not really)..

and lol at phil

danramos
2009-08-28, 23:25
...and now I can sit back and watch the arguing and angst that this has produced among the folks that wanted a cell phone radio built-in. Meanwhile, the telcos shall enrich themselves upon the tears of everyone involved and not involved alike.

Laughing Man
2009-08-28, 23:32
If you guys follow T-mobile on twitter, they're rolling out 3G pretty quickly over the year. That said, who here actually travels all over the US all the time? T-mobile 3G is awesome here in DC. It works great, and the coverage is good. Everyone I know that has AT&T and on their 3G network in the area barely gets faster than EDGE speeds.

The real solution is to move to an area with T-MO 3G coverage :-D

Haha the only place I've seen my cousin's iPhone not work was in Ocean City. But the city of College Park also gets spotty service (particularly in the campus). Ironically considering that Maryland is pushing the iPhone. But they're planning on putting up a cell phone radio tower there.

barry99705
2009-08-29, 00:01
This is a better map for T-Mob coverage.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx?WT.z_support=Coverage

I'm currently on At&t, since I had the first gen iPhone, sold it to get my Tilt. I'm still on the fence whether to get the new iPhone, or jump ship to T-Mob for an Android based phone, or now maybe, the N900.

sachin007
2009-08-29, 00:03
This is a better map for T-Mob coverage.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx?WT.z_support=Coverage

I'm currently on At&t, since I had the first gen iPhone, sold it to get my Tilt. I'm still on the fence whether to get the new iPhone, or jump ship to T-Mob for an Android based phone, or now maybe, the N900.

That map is of voice coverage. You need to click the data tab for data.

zerojay
2009-08-29, 00:03
...and now I can sit back and watch the arguing and angst that this has produced among the folks that wanted a cell phone radio built-in. Meanwhile, the telcos shall enrich themselves upon the tears of everyone involved and not involved alike.

There's very little point in producing this kind of hardware and NOT having a cell radio built-in these days, whether you want to believe it or not. It's the major reason the previous tablets didn't sell.

danramos
2009-08-29, 00:06
There's very little point in producing this kind of hardware and NOT having a cell radio built-in these days, whether you want to believe it or not. It's the major reason the previous tablets didn't sell.

It's also a missed opportunity to lead the way to make it modular and work on ANY carrier with a plug-in. Yanno.. where the circuit for the radio CURRENTLY resides.. right inside there with the battery and the SD card, etc.

zerojay
2009-08-29, 00:09
It's also a missed opportunity to lead the way to make it modular and work on ANY carrier with a plug-in. Yanno.. where the circuit for the radio CURRENTLY resides.. right inside there with the battery and the SD card, etc.

There's probably a really good reason that it hasn't been done. I'm not an engineer at the FCC though.

deeteroderdas
2009-08-29, 00:21
T-Mobile just informed us of data plans specific to the T-Mobile G1 (these do not include the voice plan). The first plan has unlimited Web, e-mail, and messaging for $35. This plan includes:

* Unlimited Web
* Unlimited e-mail
* Unlimited messaging (text, picture, and IM)

So, the T-MOBILE plan turns out to be $5/mo more? Interesting.....

The second plan has unlimited Web and e-mail and 400 messages for $25. This plan includes:

* Unlimited Web
* Unlimited e-mail (unlimited, part of Web/data)
* Unlimited IM on Google Talk
* 400 total messages (text messages, picture messages, non-Google Talk IM)

sachin007
2009-08-29, 00:23
So, the T-MOBILE plan turns out to be $5/mo more? Interesting.....

Yeah but if you want only the unlimited data and 400 sms it is 25$. So it is 5$/month less. SO the cost of the device considering it as a 2 year contract will be less by 120 $.

deeteroderdas
2009-08-29, 00:23

Coming to you already having 2 iphones..... well you had the advantage of getting the iphone by signing a contract. So i guess it is now the advantage to the t-mobile users. I am sorry that your area doesnt have t-mobile 3g.

So, sucks to be us AT&T users, eh?

spock
2009-08-29, 00:24
Rogers appears to use T-Mobile's frequencies here in Canada.

Nobody has corrected this yet, so I will. In Canada, Rogers and Fido both use the same 3G frequencies as AT&T. Those two (actually only one company/network) are currently Canada's only GSM providers so unless Nokia releases an 850/1900MHz version then they are *ignoring* all of Canada. I'd buy an n900 if it weren't for the fact that I can't actually use it.

EDIT: Don't even mention tethering. That's what I'm doing with my n810 right now and honestly I'm not even bothering 90% of the time anymore, simply due to the time it takes to connect (via BT).

zerojay
2009-08-29, 00:25
That's strange then since my American wife using T-Mobile came up here and boom, she's suddenly on the Rogers network so...?

spock
2009-08-29, 00:26
That's strange then since my American wife using T-Mobile came up here and boom, she's suddenly on the Rogers network so...?

Likely, her phone supported 1700 AND 850/1900.

Texrat
2009-08-29, 00:32

You make a great argument for tethering. :D

deeteroderdas
2009-08-29, 01:04
Yeah but if you want only the unlimited data and 400 sms it is 25$. So it is 5$/month less. SO the cost of the device considering it as a 2 year contract will be less by 120 $.

I'm not interested in that plan...Apples to apples, Sachin007. Unlimited to unlimited...

barry99705
2009-08-29, 02:15
That map is of voice coverage. You need to click the data tab for data.

Yea, it automagically goes to voice... :rolleyes: I pasted the link with data selected...

TenSpeed
2009-08-29, 02:44
Nobody has corrected this yet, so I will. In Canada, Rogers and Fido both use the same 3G frequencies as AT&T. Those two (actually only one company/network) are currently Canada's only GSM providers so unless Nokia releases an 850/1900MHz version then they are *ignoring* all of Canada. I'd buy an n900 if it weren't for the fact that I can't actually use it.

I've got a nasty cold, so don't expect this to be correct, but...

I think we're talking about two different things. The N900 has a quad-band GSM radio (850/900/1800/1900) and a WCDMA/HSPA radio for data (900/1700/2100). So Canadians will be fine with the GSM (generally voice) connection, as Rogers uses 850/1900. Zerojay, that's probably why your wife was able to connect.

For data, as it stands, we're out of luck. But who knows, with several new service providers coming in the next few months, and Telus about the throw the switch on their GSM network, things might work out. Time will tell, Pinky, time will tell.

sachin007
2009-08-29, 02:52
I'm not interested in that plan...Apples to apples, Sachin007. Unlimited to unlimited...

True apples to apples but you also could consider buying oranges if you had the option. Wheras on At&t there is no option. I personally dont need the unlimited messages because no one of my friends have unlimited messages and in the US the carriers charge to even recieve a message. ... how do you guys allow them to loot your money like that?

gerbick
2009-08-29, 03:06
I don't pay to receive messages. I've heard that tossed around a couple of times... only instance of that is if your phone doesn't have a data plan.

Or if somebody receives messages from overseas perhaps? I'm actually a bit confused - I know I get charged for overseas texts (which sucks) but not for incoming texts.

neatojones
2009-08-29, 03:13
I think I'm in a similar boat as GA, only I'm on a family plan with Verizon.

Actually, knowing that Verizon is opening (a few) LTE networks at the end of this year and beginning of next, I'm hoping that Nokia releases a 920 or something with Verizon LTE support.:D

GeneralAntilles
2009-08-29, 15:28
Let's cross our fingers for a NAM version with AT&T 3G, then, I guess.

zerojay
2009-08-29, 15:31
Apparently there might be an announcement to that effect sometime soon.

Also, for what its worth, Ari Jaaksi on Twitter: "There is a lot of buzz about the N900. But its not done yet. ....sorry gotta take this call ...."

So maybe we're all overreacting... who knows.

sachin007
2009-08-29, 15:32
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://thenokiablog.com/2009/08/29/nokia-n900-variant-850-1900-3g/&ct=ga&cd=dO7ijpyuxA0&usg=AFQjCNFuGbcFk3CqJxOdCZnTl0zas1U_vg

jandmdickerson
2009-08-30, 04:25
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://thenokiablog.com/2009/08/29/nokia-n900-variant-850-1900-3g/&ct=ga&cd=dO7ijpyuxA0&usg=AFQjCNFuGbcFk3CqJxOdCZnTl0zas1U_vg

Seems like we have been down the road as to what a customer service rep may know. And the conclusion was they are generally not privy to undisclosed product launches. But who knows, Nokia is apparently not good with secrets of late. Here is the alleged response from Nokia. I hope it is true....

Alvin,

You are correct, we’ve announced the Nokia N900 yesterday. We have not announced where it will be available but have just said that it will be released in select regions.

Regarding the network bands, you are correct – we announced a WCDMA 900/1700/2100 MHz bands. We have not made any announcements regarding an 850/1900/2100 MHz band device. An announcement will be forthcoming.

Thanks,
Joe

mrojas
2009-08-30, 04:54
Be patient... Nokia World is almost here...

jandmdickerson
2009-08-31, 19:52
The email from Nokia was not "accurate" -- See here (http://thenokiablog.com/2009/08/29/nokia-n900-variant-850-1900-3g/)

Update:Joe Gallo from Nokia AND the sender of this email quoted above has notified me that this email was fabricated. The original email did not include the last sentence.

:(

Benson
2009-09-01, 08:25

Well, IIRC Rogers does have some AWS spectrum and plans to (eventually) expand onto it, which would be T-mo US compatible. Not sure how soon or how geographically wide-spread that would be...

And of course, saying you "can't actually use it" is like telling many T-mo USA customers (my town, for example, is EDGE-only for another couple months) and all the original iPhone purchasers they can't use their data connections. No denying that EDGE is inferior, and I'll be plenty excited when 3G arrives, but as someone who uses it everyday, I must say it's a long way from useless. If you can confirm that Rogers will roll out AWS 3G in your area eventually, it could be reasonable to run with EDGE temporarily.

mrojas
2009-09-02, 01:30
http://twitpic.com/fllpv

Doesn't show 3G sadly.

kin900
2009-09-03, 20:57
http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=25125&view=3

on the detailed specs tab..
General
2G Network
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Network
HSDPA 1900 / 2100 / 850

att 3G?!?! can anyone confirm this? there are mix speculations so far. other threads say tmo 3G/ATT 3G. which one is it?

texaslabrat
2009-09-03, 21:18
http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=25125&view=3

on the detailed specs tab..
General
2G Network
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Network
HSDPA 1900 / 2100 / 850

att 3G?!?! can anyone confirm this? there are mix speculations so far. other threads say tmo 3G/ATT 3G. which one is it?

The FCC docs say tmo 3G. Nokia has gone out of their way to say that all they've announced is tmo 3G. Until someone can show an FCC test doc of a N900/RX-51 with ATT 3G bands and/or an announement from Nokia...I think we need to assume the mobilecity page is an error.

spock
2009-09-04, 06:46
Well, IIRC Rogers does have some AWS spectrum and plans to (eventually) expand onto it, which would be T-mo US compatible. Not sure how soon or how geographically wide-spread that would be...

And of course, saying you "can't actually use it" is like telling many T-mo USA customers (my town, for example, is EDGE-only for another couple months) and all the original iPhone purchasers they can't use their data connections. No denying that EDGE is inferior, and I'll be plenty excited when 3G arrives, but as someone who uses it everyday, I must say it's a long way from useless. If you can confirm that Rogers will roll out AWS 3G in your area eventually, it could be reasonable to run with EDGE temporarily.

I'm doing VoIP over 3G instead of using voice minutes (my plan is data only), and EDGE doesn't work with VoIP, at least not on the E71. So for me, lack of 3G does actually equal "can't actually use it," but I can respect how others might be able to enjoy it with 2G/GSM only. I'm holding on to hope that these AT&T version rumors are true (and I am not in a hurry to upgrade so I can wait if it's coming later).

aironeous
2009-09-04, 08:02
Didn't we ask this "will there be an at&t N900 " question a couple of days ago and the answer was no?
Don't forget that nokia is increasing edge speeds
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/tag/EDGEEvolution/

Reggie
2009-09-05, 12:47
Here's a bit of good news:
http://maemotalk.com/2009/09/05/att-eyeing-the-nokia-n900/

rcadden
2009-09-05, 12:52
When I asked about this at Nokia World 2009, it was suggested that AT&T had zero interest in the Nokia N900, thus a compatible variant was not built. Given the mobile internet unfriendliness in Canada (from what I've heard), I doubt we'll see the NAM variant built for Rogers, either.

Reggie
2009-09-05, 13:28
Maybe the community can keep pushing for an AT&T NAM version, since it looks like T-Mobile is also not interested carrying the N900.

mistermix
2009-09-05, 13:32
Maybe the community can keep pushing for an AT&T NAM version, since it looks like T-Mobile is also not interested carrying the N900.

Why do you think T-Mob isn't interested? They are in the process of lighting up their 3G network, and this is a compelling 3G device that runs on their network.

Bratag
2009-09-05, 15:48

Not sure where they got the info for that map but its WAY off. Doesnt include DC and Virginia Beach both of which I know have tmobile 3g and thats just from personal experience.

To be honest I am so over the while "3g whooo". 90% of the time the stuff I am doing on the net is background email checking etc and edge is more than sufficient and a hell of a lot more battery friendly. For the other 10% Its usually 8% in a wifi area (I live in rural virginia and even MY town center has wifi free).

To me 3g is more of a catch phrase than anything I cant live without.

christexaport
2009-09-05, 16:46
I think the TMo angle is a no brainer, and we'll see it sometime in the next 5 months. They see the demand.

On the other hand, TMo will win regardless since the radios only support them, just like the N95-3/4 did. People will buy unlocked and still run to TMo for activation, an even cheaper prospect than subsidizing. I think maybe TMo wants to see how fast it gets taken up as an unlocked device, and will base its decisions on that data as for how much subsidy it gets. If people buy it and run to at&t, it may make TMo give up a high subsidy, but if not, TMo will probably give a light one.

mrlanrat
2009-09-05, 16:52

While we are at it can we push for CDMA? ;)

In my aria Verizon coverage is superior, and there is 3G everywhere. (not to mention I have a year and a half left on my contract with them)

kenny
2009-09-05, 19:53
http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/News/314511/nokia_networks_may_reject_n900.html
Interesting comments from the VPs.
No subsidies, not much sales, a rough & ugly SDK.......
I'm feeling deja 'vu.