PDA

View Full Version : The N900 looks good but ...

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-08-29, 23:41
Think of this not as complaining, but as constructive criticism spoken in the softest voice possible. I'm not trying to terrorize anyone's party, but in the spirit of openness, submitting my 2 pence.

The N900 looks like a wonderful device, and its sure to attract many new owners, however, I will likely pass on this device. It's not that it's not a great device, it is, it's just that there are a few flaws that I can't overlook and provide serious reason for me to consider other options.

If I get the opportunity to play with the device, I may very well change my mind, but as it stands, here are some things I'm not looking forward to:

1) The thickness. 18mm (almost 2cm!) is way too thick. The N810 was borderline too thick of a device for me (~14mm). There is no way that this device can fit comfortably in my pocket meaning it will have to be carried by hand or in a bag (I have a strict no belt-clip policy) either of which are extremely unattractive options for me.

2) The resistive touch. I'm a much bigger fan of capcitive touch screens. I find them far more comfortable to interact with especially given multi-touch.

3) The browser. I'll have to test this one out, but based on the video it looks like a lighter, faster browser alternative could have been chosen. Also optimizations for smooth scrolling would have been nice -- ie. clutter for things other than the desktop.

Here are a few things that I'm worried about. Some of these things can be determined upon playing with the unit or watching a video. Some of them can only be determined with time, and as I'm going to buy a phone soon, am not going to wait to find out.

1) Track record. I'm not convinced that this platform will avoid the same stagnation that seems to be afflicting my N810. If maemo succeeds and is great, I may choose to buy a maemo device in the future.

2) The apps. I've not heard many good things about the OVI store and 3rd party apps are a compelling reason to purchase a new device.

3) Defacto landscaped mode. Landscape is great when you've got two hands free, but not for quick one-handed interaction. I'm a bit worried that the majority of apps will be optimized for this mode, as it seems as if the device was built around landscaped mode.

As an aside, I'm leaning towards the rumored Android powered Sony Ericsson Xperia X3. Of course it'll have to pass the same rigerous set of requirements to be considered. It seems as if my days of fanboi'sm are fully at a close.

I'll probably be made an outcast for this post, but I suppose it could provide the foundation for good discussion.

YARR!
}:^)~
Tapt'n

sachin007
2009-08-29, 23:52
I use a nokia n95-8gb. Its thickness is 21mm. That is 3 mm more than the n900. I generally do not have a problem carrying my phone in my jeans also...

Again resistive touch is not inferior. It is more accurate. With the help of kinetic scolling most of the smoothness of capacitative screen can be easily replicated. Just install mauku or tear web browser on your tablet and see the responsiveness for yourself.

This is one of the best browsers to date on a mobile device. You always have the option to use tear which is also nice and also replicate the user agent to any other useragent u want to use.

Coming to track record. This is open source and since it is a variant of linux i would expect a lot of developers to port their apps or just directly port linux ports.With the addition of data and accelerometers the platform is open to many more use cases. It has all the hardware capabilities of iphone and more except for the iphone. So i would assume developers to port thier applications. The earlier tablets did not have data access, accelerometer and open gl drivers, faster processor

Regarding the landscape mode.... true it would have been ideal for nokia to do it. But we already have screen rotation on the tablets and it will not take that much to port it to maemo 5.

zerojay
2009-08-30, 01:06
Heh... maybe it's just because I'm a fat guy in giant pants but carrying the N810 and my N95 in the same pocket has never been a problem. ;)

Zi5
2009-08-30, 03:12
Hello Everyone ,
The problem the N900 is still new , and it will take a lot of time to have programs and games and that stuff for it in the market :( .
I hope it to be more stable then Symbian .
Thanks ,
Zi5

philwil
2009-08-30, 03:39
I did have a n95 and no problem carrying in my pants pocket. Also, I have found symbian to be the most stable when compared to winmo and palm phones. The iphone is stable but the no multi-tasking drives me crazy. Favorite phone to date is the nokia e71 and hopefully in the future, the n900.

ysss
2009-08-30, 03:43
Being a 'new' platform without DRM, I think the app selections will mainly feature FOSS apps and 'smaller' commercial developers\publishers. The bigger commercial offerings will be those that are negotiated directly by Nokia (a la MS Office, Dataviz (?) and such).

lardman
2009-08-30, 08:25
1) Track record. I'm not convinced that this platform will avoid the same stagnation that seems to be afflicting my N810. If maemo succeeds and is great, I may choose to buy a maemo device in the future.

Certainly there's a lack of excitement in the community at the moment, but work is still underway in the Mer project to support the N810 (and others) and remember these are old devices now, the N810 wasn't much different to the N800 in hardware terms (which defines the sorts of software that can be targeted) and people had that more than 2 and a half years ago.

People are also sitting and waiting for the new hw (and releasing packages for it), which tends to stop work in general (waiting to see if they want the new hw, if they can afford it, etc.), but there's no reason to think it won't pick up again, especially if we have some challenging goals for the devs (OpenGL, audio driver in ARM kernel, re-implementing gpsdriver).

Just my thoughts on the subject :)

8mobile
2009-08-30, 08:54
Why i don’t like Nokia N900...
http://www.8mobile.org/blog/?p=236

Ovek
2009-08-30, 09:18
Do we know officially that all the built in apps only work in landscape?

As for the concerns about the ovi store, well I think maemo will need a store front (not just some rep dump) to gain mainstream developer support. But I think its to early to even comment yet... after Nokia world maybe... ;)

qwerty12
2009-08-30, 10:36

You felt the need to tell us by placing a spam link to your blog instead of just posting the content directly, here?

allnameswereout
2009-08-30, 11:39
1) Track record. I'm not convinced that this platform will avoid the same stagnation that seems to be afflicting my N810. If maemo succeeds and is great, I may choose to buy a maemo device in the future.(The short answer is: remember the 5-step plan.)

Being afraid for stagnation is a dangerous way of thinking. If we all think like this, nobody buys the device, because everyone is waiting for the platform to succeed! Look at the default functionality of hardware and software and ask yourself: is this worth my money?

There are many reasons to act otherwise. A direct compare to N810 (which had lower shelf life than N800) is not fair because the situation is very different. We all knew the N8x0 were never meant to be for mass market.

That is changing. Maemo 5 is more user friendly and 'compatible' with the big, evil, proprietary world than any earlier version. Nokia is putting a lot of weight behind Maemo, Fremantle, open source, Qt, Linux, but also Ovi and Maps. They are now testing the waters of using Linux in a high-end, touchscreen smartphone.

How will consumers respond? The way we as early adopters respond is important, and we will gain many new community members. People from open source and Linux camp, but also new Linux users who are not necessarily technically inclined.

After Fremantle we will see S60 and Linux growing more towards each other with the use of libraries like Qt, WebKit/Gecko, and many more.

This device is the N800 of the new Maemo 5 era. It will receive more official support than later versions in the N900 series; compare to N800 and N810.

Last but not least I simply have the most faith in Nokia as corporation compared to all other competitors I won't bother to mention. Because, except for a few things such as GPS and browser performance, the N810 did what it was advertised to do.

8mobile
2009-08-30, 17:10
You felt the need to tell us by placing a spam link to your blog instead of just posting the content directly, here?

Sorry for the spam.

I don’t like Nokia N900:

Form factor and build quality…i need joypad or trackball and a better keyboard (only three line). See Nokia N810, N900 seems the Nokia N97.

Battery…So you put inside CPU ARM Cortex-A8 600 MHz with PowerVR SGX, 256 MB RAM and 768 MB virtual memory with only this Battery model BL-5J 3.7V 1320 mAh ??? Why not BP-4L 3.7V 1500 mAh ?

Maemo Select…it can’t compete against App Store and iPhone software quality. Maemo community have to develop and convert quickly Gnumeric Spreadsheet, AbiWord, games and sync tools for Office Outlook and Mac.

Weight…181g it’s too heavy. I know Nokia E90 is 210g but the real competitors are Nokia N97 and Iphone 3gs: 150g and 135g.

Currently i use Iphone 3GS and Nokia N810.

zerojay
2009-08-30, 17:12
Sorry for the spam.

I don’t like Nokia N900:

Form factor and build quality…i need joypad or trackball and a better keyboard (only three line). See Nokia N810, N900 seems the Nokia N97.

Battery…So you put inside CPU ARM Cortex-A8 600 MHz with PowerVR SGX, 256 MB RAM and 768 MB virtual memory with only this Battery model BL-5J 3.7V 1320 mAh ??? Why not BP-4L 3.7V 1500 mAh ?

Maemo Select…it can’t compete against App Store and iPhone software quality. Maemo community have to develop and convert quickly Gnumeric Spreadsheet, AbiWord, games and sync tools for Office Outlook and Mac.

Weight…181g it’s too heavy. I know Nokia E90 is 210g but the real competitors are Nokia N97 and Iphone 3gs: 150g and 135g.

Currently i use Iphone 3GS and Nokia N810.

All your complaints are the kinds of things you can only really complain about when you have the thing in your hands. Bit early to make those types of complaints yet.

8mobile
2009-08-30, 17:18
We are speaking about hardware and not software so IMHO form fact, battery and weight now are problems.

YoDude
2009-08-30, 17:26
http://www.8mobile.org/blog/?p=236

Why I don't like this post. :)

>> Click Me << (http://www.spamspamspamspam.co.uk/go/game/)

Edit: I see that you appologized while I was preparing my post... thanks.

sjgadsby
2009-08-30, 17:27
Maemo community have to develop and convert quickly Gnumeric Spreadsheet, AbiWord...

AbiWord and Gnumeric have been brought to previous Maemo releases, and it seems unlikely the folks who worked on past releases won't be interested this time. Meanwhile, as has been discussed previously, the "Device Details" page on Forum Nokia (http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N900) does include:

Supported Document Formats: Excel, PDF, Powerpoint, Word[1]

Notes: 1 Document format support via installable application (Dataviz).

GeneralAntilles
2009-08-30, 17:29
We are speaking about hardware and not software so IMHO form fact, battery and weight now are problems.

Specs are great, but they don't tell you much about how things work in practice. When you get the device in your hands you may find that battery life is just fine, the formfactor is actually easier to type on and that the weight is more a comfort than a hinderance.

You don't know until you can try the device, and making snap judgements now without having done that is fairly silly.

8mobile
2009-08-30, 18:27
Specs are great, but they don't tell you much about how things work in practice. When you get the device in your hands you may find that battery life is just fine, the formfactor is actually easier to type on and that the weight is more a comfort than a hinderance.

You don't know until you can try the device, and making snap judgements now without having done that is fairly silly.

Ok i will wait the device and after i will hope to not say the same things...

mikec
2009-08-30, 19:46
If the N900 works as advertised it will replace my ....

:E71 which syncs with my work Outlook for mail calendar and tasks. Mail for Exchange rocks on my E71 and gets by all my corporate security standards,and it appears to be available for the n900.

:N95 which I carry around for its brill little camera, personal data plan for the odd surf and to check stuff out. Listening to the FM radio over its 3.5MM jack. Catching reasonable quality videos of the kids at sports events, Nokia Maps

:n800 for its amazing little screen which I use to surf with when I'm in bed, or cant sleep at night (much more comfortable than my macbook). 64GB of SD card storage across its dual card slots for holding my entire music collection (on the go), watching mobile DVD rips , Skype Client, Controlling my Slimserver music server, accessing my MythTV using Mythweb...

Sudenly the n900 looks quite small to me, and will be a lot less heavy than the above three. :D

ps did anyone see the shot on flickr that showed the browser in vertical orientation, but has now been taken down.

pelago
2009-08-30, 22:31
did anyone see the shot on flickr that showed the browser in vertical orientation, but has now been taken down.
Ooh, that sounds interesting. Did anyone download and keep it?

barry99705
2009-08-30, 22:58
1) The thickness. 18mm (almost 2cm!) is way too thick. The N810 was borderline too thick of a device for me (~14mm). There is no way that this device can fit comfortably in my pocket meaning it will have to be carried by hand or in a bag (I have a strict no belt-clip policy) either of which are extremely unattractive options for me.
YARR!
Tapt'n

Good thing all my pants and shorts have cargo pockets! ;) I also keep my phone in a belt holster, I'm married and really don't give a crap how people think I dress. I also lived for the past 17 years in a state that Carhartt overalls with no stains on them count as "dress up" clothing. Overall I don't think the extra what, centimeter of thickness will matter that much. Also for us current At&t folks, the N900 is almost exactly the same size as the HTC Tilt/Kaiser.

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/25172-Apple-iPhone-vs-Nokia-N900-vs-ATT-Tilt

8mobile
2009-08-31, 06:39
Sono photos with Nokia N900’s that are not running final firmware
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/08/31/prototype-nokia-n900-sample-photos/

Quality is not good.

dieter_be
2009-08-31, 10:23
1) thickness: keep in mind how much this device offers. for everything it brings i think the size is very good. surely devices like the iphone are smaller but they have less features.

2) touch screen: you may be right here. But even though you notice that in the "interaction documentary" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5R-5NX1BE) the guy presses relatively hard on the screen, i think it looks like resistive TC's have been improving and the needed pressure looks quite reasonable (non-problematic) to me.

3) browser: sure, the default browser may not be perfect. That's why the community is coming with alternatives such as tear.

4) track record: others have already said exactly the same as what I would say.

5) apps: that may be true. but i don't see much problems here. the n900 looks quite "usable by default". the most important thing here is the community, which may not be as big as e.g. the appstore community, but OTOH it's simple to port applications to maemo (it's a Linux with a "normal" userland, unlike android)

6) landscape: what others said.

conclusion: it's still early to tell. surely there are optimistic and pessimistic opinions. I seem to belong in the former group, just remember one thing: what nokia brings us is only 1 half of the story, the other half is the community :)

zerojay
2009-08-31, 10:51

Quality is not good.

AGAIN, a lot of stuff having to do with cameras gets tweaked and changed between a prototype and the final shipping hardware so do not take those pictures as any sort of proof of the final quality of the hardware/software.

ysss
2009-08-31, 11:18
@zerojay: take it easy :) he mentioned that fact already in his post... "not running final firmware", so I'm sure he's aware of that fact now that it's mentioned a few times already.

No need to be a n900 apologist before it even materializes...

8mobile
2009-08-31, 12:29
excuse me but the post is "The N900 looks good but ..." so we have to speak in THIS POST about presumed problems or limit about this device.

Dear zerojay i have already reserved Nokia N900 on Nokia Point (in Italy it's possible) because i love Maemo and i hope in the future to use it as primary device.

zerojay
2009-08-31, 12:32
Dear zerojay i have already reserved Nokia N900 on Nokia Point (in Italy it's possible) because i love Maemo and i hope in the future to use it as primary device.

I'm glad to hear that. I wish I was able to as well. :/

Blutarsky
2009-08-31, 21:41
Hi there, I have some questions about this awesome phone.

1) The display of my N96 seems quite sensitive to scratches: did Nokia use some better material to avoid damages to a surface that surely will be much more stressed than ordinary non-touch screen phones?

2) I really believe people would use larger displays these days, I wonder why Nokia did not follow this idea, building a larger display than iPhone. Maybe Nokia has some polls about maximum display size tolerance from average user?

3) While I am sure Nokia puts all the possible efforts in when working on a project, unfortunately it looks like Nokia phone application software (S60 based) is in a never-ending, badly supported, experimental phase. Can maemo users expect a big change on this and, what are the expectations about software reliability?

4) Will Nokia be delivering maemo-based applications for existsing accessories, like the Car Kit series?

5) Why did Nokia left the DVB receiver out of this jewel? It looks like the only missing hardware....

sondjata
2009-08-31, 22:07

Spam link? I don't have a problem with someone deciding to link out to their blog. You don't care what he has to say, don't follow. Simple really.

qwerty12
2009-08-31, 22:12
Spam link? I don't have a problem with someone deciding to link out to their blog. You don't care what he has to say, don't follow. Simple really.

I didn't follow the link. Your point?

The guy posted his stuff here anyway (which I'm grateful for). So...

Zargon
2009-08-31, 22:21
Hello everyone!
I am very excited about this device and wish I was living in Germany or Italy to make a pre-order.
Can anyone please tell me if what I read about the MMS capabilities of the N900 are true? Meaning that it is not able to send them?

Thank you so much!

jandmdickerson
2009-08-31, 22:52
Hello everyone!
I am very excited about this device and wish I was living in Germany or Italy to make a pre-order.
Can anyone please tell me if what I read about the MMS capabilities of the N900 are true? Meaning that it is not able to send them?

Thank you so much!

As far as I know since Maemo 5 is pure cutting-edge technology it is incompatible with that "old school technology" :D

Or go here (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=318414&postcount=419) for the real answer

allnameswereout
2009-08-31, 23:29
Ooh, that sounds interesting. Did anyone download and keep it?Check out about:cache

allnameswereout
2009-08-31, 23:31
I didn't follow the link. Your point?

The guy posted his stuff here anyway (which I'm grateful for). So...Matter of quoting a source (yourself) with reference.

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-09-01, 15:04
Lots of great feedback in this thread. I wish I had time to reply to each message individually!

I'm not completely opposed to the N900. If I test the device and find the browser/resistive touch/thickness to be a minor issue, I will certainly look upon the device more favourably -- the specs are [otherwise] fantastic, and the software looks promising.

The 'track-record' has become a major concern for me, as this morning my less-than-a-year-old N810 has been caught in a reboot cycle. I suppose it wouldn't be such a major deal, but I use this unit for business, had the latest os flashed, and was expecting much higher levels of reliability. As it stands I am without phone and must sacrifice a part of my working day to rectify the situation (reflash, and potentially rebuild my on-device information).

I've had other major (to me) issues before as well:

I had to root into the fs to clear away some bluez files so that my BT keyboard would again connect after connecting it to another device. Considering I had no experience doing this, it took me more time than I would have liked to spend.

There is no sound transmitted via the mic if RTComm answers a call and the app is not open. This means, that I have to leave the app minimized at all times, or cannot answer calls and have the caller hear what I'm saying. If I open too many apps, RTComm sleeps and the problem arises. Thus I am limited to one or two apps at any given time.

Which brings me to the issue of timing. This has become much more prominant than my hardware concerns. Here's why:

1) I don't have the cash or desire to buy multiple devices.
2) I am in the market for a new device and will be choosing one based upon my needs (business and personal).
3) This is a business device for me, rather than a leisure device. I don't have the time (or more accurately, I'm not willing to sacrifice the time) to play around with hardware to get it working. I require any device it to work well, out-of-the-box, and to continue to work with minimal effort.
4) There are attractive alternatives on or coming to the market.

Of course the N900 may very well fit into this category, but as I need a new device soon, I must take a wait-and-see with the Maemo N900 to see if it does. In other words, I'd feel more comfortable with more mature software or positive reports given reasonable time.

I love you all and will continue rooting for Maemo and Nokia. If things go well, I'm sure I'll find myself with a Maemo device. I'm certainly aligned with the vision. Of course, for the time being, I can't risk taking a chance on the N900 even if I over-looked the thickness, resistive-touch, and browser.

YARR!

bummer
2009-09-01, 16:01

I agree, and I don't think posting one link is spam. Don't like it, don't click - and don't post pissy comments about it QWERTY and others.

qwerty12
2009-09-01, 16:14
I agree, and I don't think posting one link is spam. Don't like it, don't click - and don't post pissy comments about it QWERTY and others.

It's spam when your first post is a link to advertise one's site when you could just as easily post the stuff here, in a thread designated for the topic.

And, please, do us all a favour and don't post any comments of any sort, in any thread. Thanks.

Blutarsky
2009-09-02, 13:36
Hi there, I have some questions about this awesome phone.

Could someone comment or maybe did I post in a wrong thread?

zerojay
2009-09-02, 13:41
There is no sound transmitted via the mic if RTComm answers a call and the app is not open. This means, that I have to leave the app minimized at all times, or cannot answer calls and have the caller hear what I'm saying. If I open too many apps, RTComm sleeps and the problem arises. Thus I am limited to one or two apps at any given time.

You must be doing something wrong because it always works 100% fine for me. I can answer calls without an issue without the app open.

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-09-02, 14:55
You must be doing something wrong because it always works 100% fine for me. I can answer calls without an issue without the app open.

Could be, however there are not many settings to get wrong with the app.

I have suspected that my SIP provider's setup (link2voip) may contribute to this issue. I'll be setting up my own freeswitch (http://freeswitch.org) server (recommended over asterisk (http://freeswitch.org/node/117)), and hopefully this issue will disappear. Since link2voip is a reseller service, it'll also give me the opportunity to hand-roll some fancy-schmancy phone features.

A strange bug to be sure. Any suggestions?

YARR!

count zero
2009-09-02, 15:20
It's spam when your first post is a link to advertise one's site when you could just as easily post the stuff here, in a thread designated for the topic.

You already said it yourself that you didn't follow the link.
Someone else said: don't like it - don't click it.

The only thing I think is spam are all those comments that say that posting a link to a blog is spam.
So again. If you don't like it don't click it and stop spamming this crap please.

qwerty12
2009-09-02, 15:27
stop spamming this crap please.

Agreed. We have different definitions of spam. Some agree with me, some don't. Frankly, I couldn't care less and am finding the topic quite boring.

allnameswereout
2009-09-02, 18:23
1) The display of my N96 seems quite sensitive to scratches: did Nokia use some better material to avoid damages to a surface that surely will be much more stressed than ordinary non-touch screen phones?You can put protective coating on it just like with Nokia 770 and Nokia N8x0, or put it in some kind of holster. I haven't got any scratches on my Nokia N810.

5) Why did Nokia left the DVB receiver out of this jewel? It looks like the only missing hardware....There is Nokia Mobile TV Receiver SU-33W. I don't know if it will be compatible with Nokia N900.

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-09-02, 18:52
I wonder how quickly the N900 could pump data out via the usb. I know it has video out (I'm assuming low-res via the analogue 3.5mm jack -- but I could be wrong). However, if the almost-laptop-grade omap and bus are fast enough, it may be possible to sustain rates high enough for descent resolution digital video at interactive rates.

Still to have *any* video out is a great plus.

As an aside:

I must say that this device is growing on me. After seeing some new videos of the device in action, the thickness doesn't seem like a major concern, and the browser seems quite responsive. I'll still wait to get some reliable reviews, but the N900 is becoming even more tempting. I hope that many apps work in both landscape and portrait mode.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-09-02, 20:45
You can put protective coating on it just like with Nokia 770 and Nokia N8x0, or put it in some kind of holster. I haven't got any scratches on my Nokia N810.

I remember seeing a video demonstrating the durability of the N97 screen. The reviewer literally took a key to the surface and did a number. However, despite the torture, the screen didn't have a visible scratch on it! Honestly, I doubt an iphone with its hard glass screen would have

Here's the video. It's quite amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB1GxqRFKzw

For added protection you could always get an invisible shield. Given the durability of the screen, I think this is overkill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFEEqUu40N0

I suspect the N900 and other recent nokia devices would have the same coating.

YARR!

Jaffa
2009-09-03, 13:45
I wonder how quickly the N900 could pump data out via the usb. I know it has video out (I'm assuming low-res via the analogue 3.5mm jack -- but I could be wrong).

It's composite video at 480p. However, hooked up to a good 32" LCD TV, the graphics on the TV out were at Wii quality (if not higher):

http://twitpic.com/g6smv

Playing Bounce Evolution with the accelerometer and TV out was very very cool. Also, comparing the TV out with the X6 was like comparing Wii graphics with SNES graphics.

I must say that this device is growing on me. After seeing some new videos of the device in action, the thickness doesn't seem like a major concern, and the browser seems quite responsive. I'll still wait to get some reliable reviews, but the N900 is becoming even more tempting. I hope that many apps work in both landscape and portrait mode.

Having played with the device for a while - the thickness doesn't bother me at all; the width and height aren't as big as I expected (not much bigger than my very small SE W890i). The web browser is excellent.

I only missed portrait in the PDF reader and calculator (and, only a little, the web browser). As has been pointed out numerously, third party apps can support portrait as much as they want - see Conboy, for example.

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-09-03, 14:00
Alright you bastards..... I'm sold! :D

This device is so close to perfect it's scary...

YARR!

pelago
2009-09-04, 16:09
It's composite video at 480p.
Sorry if this is picky, but if it's composite video then it'll be 480i, not 480p (i.e. interlaced, not progressive scan).

Jaffa
2009-09-04, 16:14
Sorry if this is picky, but if it's composite video then it'll be 480i, not 480p (i.e. interlaced, not progressive scan).

Hmm, good point. Duh.

Bratag
2009-09-04, 19:53

Quality is not good.

To me the quality is fine. The fact that you can see ANYTHING in the city shot at night is a amazing. Certainly no cell phone camera I have ever had was worth JACK with night photos.

We have no way of knowing under what conditions the pics were taken. Hell we have no way of knowing if they were even taken using an n900.

I am adopting a wait and see attitude to picture quality