View Full Version : N900 non-english keyboard layouts? Photos?

benny1967
2009-09-03, 11:52
Do we have any photos of the N900 with non-english keyboard layouts? I remember this Italian video, but I couldn't make out the keys exactly in this clip. JPEGs would be better. And of course, I'm especially interested in the German QWERTZ-variant.

Have such images appeared on the web somewhere? Nokia.de (and nokia.at) show the English QWERTY-variant on their homepages. :(

amoult
2009-09-03, 11:57
http://www.cs.hut.fi/~kirma/n900-nordic.jpg

Finnish keyboard.

benny1967
2009-09-03, 12:05
Thank you! Do you know how to get the Ø and the Æ? Ctrl+Ö/Ä? Another combination? Interesting anyways...

pycage
2009-09-03, 12:37
This placement of cursor keys make me mad. Is the US layout the only one with 4 distinct cursor keys?

javispedro
2009-09-03, 13:14
This placement of cursor keys make me mad. Is the US layout the only one with 4 distinct cursor keys?

No, there's also Polish. And that's about it.

thecursedfly
2009-09-03, 14:49
wow, I tought the 4 cursor keys were standard for all languages... now i'm going to be careful to choose a layout with all 4 of them.. :P
(prefer italian/belgian, but i've allready seen the italian one has 2 arrow keys only)

osku
2009-09-03, 17:03
I think that it doesnt really matter what layout do you buy becouse probably it will be possible to change it. I m not sure about this but i think it should be possible

javispedro
2009-09-03, 18:20
I think that it doesnt really matter what layout do you buy becouse probably it will be possible to change it. I m not sure about this but i think it should be possible

Of course you can. It's a GNU/Linux computer after all.

kanishou
2009-09-03, 18:26
Of course, it all comes down to a choice of labels. And as a perfectionist I'm not going to get a device that doesn't have my preferred keypad labels. :)

I find the solution pretty neat actually, and if I would care about German Umlauts, I would happily make that compromise. I don't though, so I will attempt to get a UK device for myself.

zehjotkah
2009-09-03, 18:28
i'm currently thinking about what is better:
lack of ö, ü, ä and ß and changed z <->y but four cursor buttons or just two cursor buttons but available ö, ü, ä and ß.

i think i will go with the german layout... for games we can always remap the controls to w, a, s and d...

paperclip.bottlecap
2009-09-03, 18:30
The UK one as well, I assume :p
I wonder whether they'll be any support for extended layouts (http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin//mearchlar/gaelicuk.htm) and how it'll be implemented.

keesj
2009-09-03, 18:34
Here you can see azerty
http://twitpic.com/ffnk5

korbé
2009-09-03, 18:44
And for the Swiss Romande (French speaking part of Switzerland)?

We need a German QWERTZ keyboard with special characters in French (é,è,à,ê,etc..).

Is it possible to have a German keyboard and get the special character in press a special button and then press the button of the letter to change?
For exemple, in N810: [Chr] + [e] = é ; [Chr] + [e]x2 = è ; Etc..

lorelei
2009-09-03, 18:45
I'm in the same dilemma as zehjotkah (albeit I have to decide between cursors and the swiss-french accents + layout, which is radically different from Azerty).

I lean very heavily toward an US layout with full cursor keys: my work environment is very english-oriented, so I won't need those accents that much.

Now the only problem I can see is will I be able to get a device with US layout in Switzerland? My favorite online-shop lists the keyboard as "QWERTZ", so I assume swiss-french or swiss-german layout, without full cursor keys... oh well, let's wait until it's really available and I will make my decision then :)

lorelei
2009-09-03, 18:47
And for the Swiss Romande (French speaking part of Switzerland)?

heh, I have the impression that I just found a fellow Suisse Romande resident :)

korbé
2009-09-03, 18:56
Hello Switzerland friend. ^_^

Why is only Anglophones have completly directional buttons?

Why other are 4 directions on only 2 buttons?

It'll not be practical on some games.

Kozzi
2009-09-03, 19:19
With a keyboard like that ( Scandinavian layout), I wonder if it makes much different if the 'space' button comes in half its current state, which leaves one more free button for up&down combination or right-Shift.

thecursedfly
2009-09-03, 20:30
I think I'll try to get the UK layout for the following reasons: while on the web I write very often in english (and it's not really a problem for me), italian and dutch (my main languages) don't need very special characters, so i can stick with the UK layout with less problems. The only extra characters I may need are the ¨ (as in België) and some accented letters like ó é è í... I hope they'll be easy to find in the special characters submenu. :-)

ikarizdat
2009-09-03, 21:09
Here you can see azerty
http://twitpic.com/ffnk5
It could have been worse :rolleyes: Direct access to "é" and "à" is fine, but the ";"-key is useless. Why not an apostrophe-key instead (which is much more frequent in French)?

nikolajhendel
2009-09-03, 21:31
damn, was wondering how the scandinavian characters were going to fit - but never thought that the directional keys were going to be sacrificed. I was going to get someone to ship a Danish version to my current location in Australia, but now I'm not so sure.

uljanow
2009-09-03, 21:42
I've asked the german nokia shop on how to get a US-keyboard (mentioning the UK shop which doesn't deliver outside of the UK). They told me the device specifications are not officially released and therefore they couldn't say more on availability of devices with US-keyboards.

allnameswereout
2009-09-03, 22:16
I think I'll try to get the UK layout for the following reasons: while on the web I write very often in english (and it's not really a problem for me), italian and dutch (my main languages) don't need very special characters, so i can stick with the UK layout with less problems. The only extra characters I may need are the ¨ (as in België) and some accented letters like ó é è í... I hope they'll be easy to find in the special characters submenu. :-)And the GBP is low: 500 British pounds = 572.669328 Euros

krisse
2009-09-03, 22:59
It'll not be practical on some games.

It might not be as bad as all that. :)

Seeing as they're physically all the same keyboard just with different labels, games shouldn't be a problem as they would probably let you define your own keys. And even if games didn't let you redefine keys, the operating system almost certainly would let you switch to another country's layout.

In any case arrow keys are misleading IMHO. A lot of people like me grew up with 8-bit computers where keyboard controls would be a layout like:

O = left, P = right, Q = up, A = down

because it let you spread the functions all over the keyboard which made gaming easier.

I would imagine something similar would apply to games on the N900. It might be different on such a small device, maybe something like Q, Z, H, L or something but you get the idea.

Andre Klapper
2009-09-04, 10:43
@korbé: Design decision. You'll be able to enter all chars you need, just not all of them by using the keyboard. Space is limited, that's how it is.

korbé
2009-09-04, 11:16
Someone has pictures of German QWERTZ keyboard?

ruskie
2009-09-04, 11:18
Where's the dvorak layout. That's really the one thing I would like to see... But I'm guessing setxkbmap and a few custom labels on the keys would work as well

Corwin_bg
2009-09-17, 08:08
Someone has pictures of German QWERTZ keyboard?

Amazon.de seems to have one:
link to product page (http://www.amazon.de/Nokia-Maemo-Vertrag-Branding-Simlock/dp/B002N2Z0MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=ce-de&qid=1253174678&sr=8-1)

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9900/n900de.png

Just pre-ordered mine btw, I guess I'll live with the swapped Y-Z :)

Corwin
2009-09-17, 08:31
I fear that this is not the german one, as it does not feature any of the stupid umlauts (as I am german I feel like i may say so. And yes, this seems to be a correct translation ;) ).

If you click on the picture on Amazon.de and zoom in, you can see it clearly. It has QWERTZ but no umlauts.
Have to say that I would very much prefer to have proper cursor keys :(

BTW, just realized - I am not related to 'Corwin_bg' in any way.
Deciding wether I am feeling happy about this similar name, though.

wazd
2009-09-17, 08:48
http://content.foto.mail.ru/mail/wi/_blogs/i-79.jpg
Russian layout spotted.

Corwin_bg
2009-09-17, 08:53
I fear that this is not the german one, as it does not feature any of the stupid umlauts (as I am german I feel like i may say so. And yes, this seems to be a correct translation ;) ).

If you click on the picture on Amazon.de and zoom in, you can see it clearly. It has QWERTZ but no umlauts.
Have to say that I would very much prefer to have proper cursor keys :(

BTW, just realized - I am not related to 'Corwin_bg' in any way.
Deciding wether I am feeling happy about this similar name, though.

I certainly hope this will be the keyboard on the production unit. I wonder if I should cancel my pre-order or risk getting a device with funky umlauts on it :/

Any chance for an official confirmation from Nokia about this?

p.s. Cheers Corwin :) Fellow Amber fan, perhaps?

pycage
2009-09-17, 09:42
Are there keyboard layouts other than German using QWERTZ? Does somebody have information on this? The thing I like about the QWERTZ photo is that there are 4 distinct cursor keys, unlike the Russian layout.

attila77
2009-09-17, 10:06
A lot of central European countries use QWERTZ, the Hungarian, Czech, Austrian keyboards are all QWERTZ (and probably the swiss one, too). Serbian/Croatian is also traditionally QWERTZ but something tells me there won't be a special edition for this region :rolleyes:

lorelei
2009-09-17, 10:51
A lot of central European countries use QWERTZ, the Hungarian, Czech, Austrian keyboards are all QWERTZ (and probably the swiss one, too).

Yep, I can confirm that Swiss-French and Swiss-German keyboards have a QWERTZ layout.

pycage
2009-09-17, 11:12
So for the N900 I think this makes Czech and German layouts with QWERTZ. The other regions you mentioned don't have special N900 layout versions, from what I've seen in the announcements.

Corwin
2009-09-17, 12:02
I really wonder then, which version the keyboard on amazon.de represents. I would be glad if it was german but I fear it is not (missing äöü and ß). And yes, IMHO umlauts are kinda... useless ;)
But to be honest, we are all going to love the little beast either way, aren't we?

OT @Corwin_bg:
Yepp, black and silver. Long time ago, though. Must be 10 or 15 years since I last read it ;)

benny1967
2009-09-17, 19:09
And yes, IMHO umlauts are kinda... useless ;)

i think "x" and "y" are useless. umlauts i use a lot.

Corwin
2009-09-18, 07:25
I know, I also use them in professional writing. I still would prefer cursor keys over umlauts.

Best regards to Vienna, really a pearl :)
Corwin

UCOMM
2009-09-18, 08:01
Yep, I can confirm that Swiss-French and Swiss-German keyboards have a QWERTZ layout.

annoys me to no end when i visit switz

pycage
2009-09-18, 09:09
Umlauts accesible with the Fn modifier would be OK for me. Please don't sacrifice cursor keys for umlauts.

Jack6428
2009-09-22, 20:36
someone posted a new link here..(page5)..where did that post go to ??

Corwin_bg
2009-09-22, 21:55
Umlauts accesible with the Fn modifier would be OK for me. Please don't sacrifice cursor keys for umlauts.

I'm afraid I got bad news here - http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=646778

Yep, based on the keyboard layout I have seen there are some dotted characters to the right of L P (so instead of 4 arrow keys there seems to be only 2)

Argghhh.. I mean what I was trying to say was that: yes, the image you linked to did not seem to have all the Germanic layout details in place...

Hartti

Contemplating on what to do with my pre-order now :confused:

Matan
2009-09-22, 22:33

It is only what is drawn on the keys. It will be trivial to change the function of the keys to whatever you wish. According to my experience with the N810, you get used to it very quickly.

benny1967
2009-09-23, 05:34
also, i guess for most users the keyboard will be a tool for typing text, right? having frequently used characters only accessible via Fn isn't an option. - It's most annoying already the way it is with the N810 and its placement of 'ß' (even though i admit i wouln't know where else to put it on this tiny keyboard).

Jack6428
2009-09-27, 17:57
the Czech keyboard is QWERTY, with the two navigational arrows replaced by symbols :mad: i want to protest and change it, it sucks

lderkacz
2009-09-28, 11:18
@JayOnThaBeat
Where did you get the info that Polish layout will have 4 cursor keys?
Do you have any info about locating of native polish chars on the keyb?
Will it be realized as in normal keyboards?

@benny1967
(For those who don't know: Poland and USA use the same keyboards, hehe).
We type polish chars by pressing rightAlt+'a' or 'c' or 'e' etc...
It's not so inconvenient as typing in Eng.

Raubtier
2009-09-28, 13:04
the n97 had a swiss keyboard without "ß" and an own "." key, whereas the german version had a seperate "ß" key, without a distinct "." key which sucked!

i received an email from nokia.ch, apparently they are not planning to have a swiss keyboard with the n900 which is a let down!

i really hope that the german n900 has a seperate key for the ".", or else you aould have tp press the blue key to press the "." as a special character.. :-/

lorelei
2009-09-28, 16:30
i received an email from nokia.ch, apparently they are not planning to have a swiss keyboard with the n900 which is a let down!

hmm, this doesn't sound very good :(

But I'm wondering how they will manage the swiss-french keyboard. They cannot use the french one, since it is radically different...maybe us swiss-french people will have to use the german layout as well...

I'm beginning to wonder if I will not buy one in the US (I don't really ind the QWERTY layout... (full arrow keys) > (local layout)) in my upcoming trip there, but the warranty problems that may stem from that don't please me...maybe a trip to London will be the best solution?

mikeos
2009-10-08, 10:52
the Czech keyboard is QWERTY, with the two navigational arrows replaced by symbols :mad: i want to protest and change it, it sucks

Where have you seen that? On the official site (nokia.cz) they don't mention the physical keyboard details at all, talking just about the "plnohodnotná hmatová klávesnice QWERTZ s predikcí slov" meaning a full touch keyboard QWERTZ with word prediction, i.e. the on-screen keyboard.

Neither Nokia CZ nor its retail partners were able to tell me anything about the physical keyboard. Too bad. And what is worse, N900 is not available for pre-order from these parties mentioned. What one can do:

- leave your number, they put you in a queue and claim to call you when the device is ready for you in the store (i did it with a Prague Nokia authorised reseller)

- pre-order through a 3rd party channel, e.g. Alza.cz - they claim the physical keyboard layout is QWERTY (no further details though), but when I contacted them, they were unable to confirm the information and the site explicitly says that the tech specs. may vary and they do not guarantee it. Recently (don't know when exactly) they changed the device availability to 9.11.2009 from something near to mid-october.

I'm gonna purchase the device in the UK.
+ standard non-crippled QWERTY physical keyboard layout
- intl. warranty, high price, even higher price due to additional shipping or travel expenses :mad:

ziller
2009-10-08, 11:00
the n97 had a swiss keyboard without "ß" and an own "." key, whereas the german version had a seperate "ß" key, without a distinct "." key which sucked!

Interesting... pre-ordered mine from digitec.ch, which claim n900 to have a QWERTZ keyboard. If you say that nokia doesn't have a swiss keyboard for the n900, could it mean that we're going to be sold german QWERTZ models instead?

Hope not, cannot imagine anything more useless than a dedicated "ß" key on my phone. =/

Raubtier
2009-10-08, 14:33
@ziller- according to nokia.ch ist will have a "ß" which sucks..

ziller
2009-10-08, 15:18
@ziller- according to nokia.ch ist will have a "ß" which sucks..

ok that indeed sucks. Wonder what key they sacrificed for ß? I assume ü, ä and ö will at least be there (germans need those too). But I'm starting to get worried about the dedicated . key... I really, really hope they have let that in there, unlike on the n97!

(ok, well, worst case scenario: we can always remap ß to ., right? ;) )

Raubtier
2009-10-08, 15:59
@ziller, i`m afraid that there wont be a dedicated "." key, just like the n97..

it really baffles me that no one has found a pic of the german keyboard yet, it would answer the question because german and swiss keyboard are identical..

ruskie
2009-10-08, 16:38
Seems still no info on a dvorak layout :(

白い熊
2009-10-09, 13:32
You gotta be dreaming...

No offense, I use Dvorak myself, but I've never seen a phone, and mainstream on top of that, with a hardware Dvorak keyboard layout.

Think pigs would have to fly before Nokia would ship the N900 with a Dvorak keyboard, not that me and the other 7 users worldwide wouldn't be happy :O)

ziller
2009-10-09, 21:57
it really baffles me that no one has found a pic of the german keyboard yet, it would answer the question because german and swiss keyboard are identical..

Well... amazon.de has some kind of a picture of a QWERTZ keyboard up: http://www.amazon.de/Nokia-Maemo-Vertrag-Branding-Simlock/dp/B002N2Z0MQ/

But it's a rather odd one. The Z and Y are on their correct places, but I see no umlauts whatsoever, not even as a visible SYM-key combinations (marked in blue)... maybe the image is not a final one?

volt
2009-10-09, 22:19
This is frustrating. When they have to remove directional keys, there is only one conclusion possible. They removed Too Many Keys.

Now I have to consider if I need the english keyboard instead of the localized one.

ruskie
2009-10-10, 19:38
You gotta be dreaming...

No offense, I use Dvorak myself, but I've never seen a phone, and mainstream on top of that, with a hardware Dvorak keyboard layout.

Think pigs would have to fly before Nokia would ship the N900 with a Dvorak keyboard, not that me and the other 7 users worldwide wouldn't be happy :O)

:)

Hey I can dream can't I?

But what would be the big deal though. They could provide a custom order for such and only run those that order it.

As for pigs flying and hell freezing over... remember that GPL code dump Micros~1 did a while back :)

I could live with a software only modification if I could get a keyboard for it though. So I don't need to mess with labels etc.

白い熊
2009-10-11, 11:30
Well, it depends on the keyboard they use. I've done some dvorak modifications on keyboards in the past, and if it has individual keys, could be done, if you're brave enough to open the phone up. But if they use that single plastic platter, from which all keys protrude, like many hardware keyboards use, this is gonna be hard.

The alternative of course is just an xmodmap remap without any stickers attached to memory, that's how one uses dvorak on a pc. For thumb typing this would be interesting, but maybe why not, a good "password" protection too, with the keys mixed up. I might even give it a go... :O)

ruskie
2009-10-11, 11:42
Well, it depends on the keyboard they use. I've done some dvorak modifications on keyboards in the past, and if it has individual keys, could be done, if you're brave enough to open the phone up.

Never had any qualms about opening up devices under warranty. My eeepc701 lost it in less than a week :)

Messed with the N95 the very next day after I got it(though software only)

But if they use that single plastic platter, from which all keys protrude, like many hardware keyboards use, this is gonna be hard.

I'm actually hoping it might be this since then one could theoretically get an aftermarket one easily. Though having a hardware mod as well would be nice so that the keys would always corespond to the keycode.

The alternative of course is just an xmodmap remap without any stickers attached to memory, that's how one uses dvorak on a pc. For thumb typing this would be interesting, but maybe why not, a good "password" protection too, with the keys mixed up. I might even give it a go... :O)

Touch typing is one thing but when one is half asleep/awake and wants to actually see what one hits labels are a damn good idea :)

And with my passwords having the labels generally is a must since they tend to be absurdly long(30+ chars). :)

Dactar
2009-10-11, 11:55
I'm live in Switzerland, french part.

I've bought an Nokia E90 two years ago. The keyboard was a french keyboard (AZERTY, numbers only accessible with shift option) :(

I've never seen a swiss french physical keyboard on a phone.

I've tested Maemo 5 SDK final and I didn't find the swiss french keyboard in the virtual keyboard configuration...

白い熊
2009-10-12, 00:26
Never had any qualms about opening up devices under warranty. My eeepc701 lost it in less than a week :)
:) You're quite tough.

I'm actually hoping it might be this since then one could theoretically get an aftermarket one easily. Though having a hardware mod as well would be nice so that the keys would always corespond to the keycode.
Let's see what it comes down to. I'll probably do it too, once you decide on the solution after getting the device, let me know...

Verythrax
2009-10-12, 03:36
I just hope that Nokia doesn't try to "play cool" and make an ABNT layout to Brazil...

I don't need an exclusive "Ç" taking the space of my precious arrow keys, thank you so much.

ruskie
2009-10-12, 05:36
:) You're quite tough.

Let's see what it comes down to. I'll probably do it too, once you decide on the solution after getting the device, let me know...

I'll probably wait a while to see if there will be anything aftermarket. I wouldn't actually have a problem if Nokia offered a service to switch the keyboard out with a different layout. Let's say 20 eur or so for the work. And you keep the warranty :)

Dodge
2009-10-15, 21:08
I'm a bit "afraid".
Swiss French keyboard is QWERTZ,
like Swiss German layout.

But on Nokia.ch, when you look at the specification,
here is what you get (Depending on the language you use to navigate through the web site)
Swiss French : AZERTY
Swiss German : QWERTZ

I don't want at all AZERTY :( if it's the case, I'll go for the US layout, at least with the 4 direction keys.

lorelei
2009-10-15, 22:28

I don't want at all AZERTY :( if it's the case, I'll go for the US layout, at least with the 4 direction keys.

Well, that sets the deal for me. Early December I will take a few days of vacation in London and take the opportunity to buy (if reviews are positive) an N900 with QWERTY layout and 4 direction keys...

problem solved for me :)

Jack6428
2009-10-15, 22:39
I'm live in Switzerland, french part.

I've bought an Nokia E90 two years ago. The keyboard was a french keyboard (AZERTY, numbers only accessible with shift option) :(

I've never seen a swiss french physical keyboard on a phone.

I've tested Maemo 5 SDK final and I didn't find the swiss french keyboard in the virtual keyboard configuration...

can you please look at the Czech keyboard please ?

chemist
2009-11-05, 14:32
@ziller, i`m afraid that there wont be a dedicated "." key, just like the n97..

UUH no the swiss one is different from german, at least the special keys are not the same, keys in different place or different MOD I know are ^~#|\ß[]{}@§$´!+*öüä, the azerty is even worse and the italian differs as well.
the basic swiss is http://rozlozeni-klavesnice.navajo.cz/rozlozeni-klavesnice-12.png
this is also used in .lu and .li and includes italian french and german character sets!
sure you might get a german qwertz in switzerland as I got me a us qwerty in germany...
if there is a special swiss qwertz layout for the n900 it wont be the same as german qwertz! if not I guess it depends on the kanton you buy it :rolleyes:

I'm a bit "afraid".
Swiss French keyboard is QWERTZ,
like Swiss German layout.

But on Nokia.ch, when you look at the specification,
here is what you get (Depending on the language you use to navigate through the web site)

as said above there is no swiss $country layout! there are different azerty layouts but AFAIK none is specialy done for switzerland. didnt look it up but I guess its the french std layout (as nokia wont do special azerties but for africa, IF)

ziller
2009-11-05, 16:51
sure you might get a german qwertz in switzerland as I got me a us qwerty in germany...
if there is a special swiss qwertz layout for the n900 it wont be the same as german qwertz!

...and that exactly is the problem here. Raubtier asked nokia.ch if they have a de_CH qwertz layout for n900, just as they did for n97. The reply was: "no" (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=335255&postcount=47)

But still, wherever you order a n900 here, they sell you a qwertz keyboard - and we were speculating what kind of a qwertz is it then if not a de_CH? The answer: probably exactly the same as de_DE. Hence the search for a picture of a de_DE n900 keyboard layout.

The layout you posted would be what most of us would probably like to have, but according to nokia.ch that's not what we'll get...

danielwilson
2009-11-05, 17:09
uk one is the best layout

mobileflo
2009-11-06, 21:29
This is the german QWERTZ:

http://www.netzwelt.de/images/articles/2009/nokia-n900-intext-1257264943.jpg

Think amazon is a fake...

EDIT: There are some errors with the image -> http://www.netzwelt.de/picture/images/articles/2009/nokia-n900-intext-1257264943.jpg

ziller
2009-11-06, 21:42
Think amazon is a fake...

Most likely it is. A qwertz without umlauts would be a strange sight indeed... :)

Well, at least we have now some idea what to expect here in Switzerland too. Not perfect, must say, those sacrificed arrow keys might prove to be annoying - but on the other hand, the Scandinavian layout is similar and they can cope with it.

Too bad that there's no dedicated comma key though.

Helmuth
2009-11-17, 13:47
Damed... ********!

http://www.chip.de/ii/253094297_86821d56f7.jpg

Okay, end of hope. The Amazon Picture is a fake. :(

hallokitty
2009-11-17, 13:51
Where's the dvorak layout. That's really the one thing I would like to see... But I'm guessing setxkbmap and a few custom labels on the keys would work as well

I'm sure you're as used to as I am typing on a qwerty keyboard with a dvorak layout in software, ho hum

chemist
2009-11-17, 14:03
I dont know yet if its worth 60eur to have a EU, qwerty but here you could buy it!

http://www.expansys.de/d.aspx?i=188856

Rotkaeqpchen
2009-11-17, 14:13
Amazon.de shows german QUERTZ layout, Nokia.de confirmes that all four arrow keys are like in the enlish layout.

ziller
2009-11-17, 14:39
Okay, end of hope. The Amazon Picture is a fake. :(

Yeah. But in the end I think I'm happier to have ü, ö and ä as their own keys, will definitely use those more often than up and down arrows. What annoys me the most at the moment is that there is no separate comma-key (have to alt+. for that). At least the alt key is on the left side of the keyboard, and not on the right as on n97!! Ought to be a lot easier to use...

Helmuth
2009-11-17, 14:45
Hopefully there could be a fast fix to reach the "," with a long press of the "." key. Like the Numbers on the N97 now.

chemist
2009-11-18, 23:29
reviewed N900 by chip.de shows crippled arrows and 'umlauts'
I think the amazon.de pic is a fake
http://www.chip.de/ii/253444587_a7929ba739.jpg
http://www.chip.de/ii/253444602_30b8e55926.jpg

cbao.rambo
2009-11-23, 15:48
Hi guys,

Two quick questions.

1 - Someone has a picture of an Spanish keyboard?

2 - Does anyone knows if it's possible to configure shortcuts to reproduce some special characters?. I mean, using the uk keyboard use the combination (Ctl + n) and generate an special character?

Thx.

youNit
2009-12-06, 21:15
To the (lucky) owners:
To the owners in Germany/..: do you miss these up/down arrows?
To the owners with full arrows: do you use these up/down arrows a lot?

I think these layouts have potential to make arrow key-dependant apps developed by people with full arrows frustrating. (looking at Games, etc.)

Hakapes
2009-12-23, 10:47
Amazon.de shows german QUERTZ layout, Nokia.de confirmes that all four arrow keys are like in the enlish layout.

Can someone, who ordered his/her N900 from amazon.de, post a picture of the keyboard?
I am thinking to order from amazon.de, but I would like to know what I get, before I hit the order button.
(Or even upload a user picture to amazon.de to the device's homepage?)

Thanks!

Hakapes
2009-12-26, 23:01
Anyone ordered an N900 from amazon.de?

How is the keyboard looking?

Thanks!

Hakapes
2010-01-04, 19:18
Please, is there anyone who could make a photo of his N900 bought at amazon.de?

Thanks a lot!

Lawand
2010-07-24, 17:21
Here is a photo of the German QWERTZ layout for N900 (I know that there already is a photo of the QWERTZ layout in this thread, but this one is of higher quality...)

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk89/L4W4ND/Posts/th_N900GermanQWERTZLayout.jpg (http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk89/L4W4ND/Posts/N900GermanQWERTZLayout.jpg)

Note that I got my N900 from a retail store in Germany (Berlin) not from amazon.de.

I hope someone finds it useful.

lp4u
2010-07-25, 04:22
gr8 help after 1 year

theking2
2010-09-11, 14:36
I hope someone finds it useful.

What really would be useful is that Nokia made not so damn complicated to get by this information. Hell, there aren't that many different keyboard layouts. Why not update the the press and marketing material for the German market to contain correct imagery? They have to translate the text anyway, how hard can it be to change the pictures as well? look at this swiss page: http://www.nokia.ch/produkte/alle-modelle/nokia-n900/funktionen . The images are just wrong. I'd call this misleading customers.