PDA

View Full Version : please port nicotine to Maemo 5

debernardis
2009-09-04, 06:10
I hope Maemo is properly capitalized.

There's already a port of nicotine for maemo 4, plus it's also available of course in the debian repos, even if after the last upgrades it's broken in my chroot. I use the former and it works well.

Now, since that's a nice p2p app, I propose that nicotine-plus (http://www.nicotine-plus.org/) or nicotine (http://nicotine.thegraveyard.org/) get the favour of you fine developers and are ported to the new ui.

Thanks all :cool:

Andre Klapper
2009-09-04, 11:08
Feel also free to add a comment to http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/nicotine/ . Makes it more reliable that the request is read by the maintainer (though dyerga is also quite active in this forum).

yerga
2009-09-04, 14:10
Listened!

Right now, I'm working in other applications, but I'll port Nicotine to Maemo 5 too. It's lower priority than others though.

But while Nicotine could look inline with Maemo 4 applications, it needs an important UI change for Maemo 5. My plan is simplify the UI to the most important features, and to focus in the main use of the application (search, download and upload).

So, what other features shouldn't I cripple?

debernardis
2009-09-04, 14:15
I've never used chat rooms, private chat, user info, user browse, interests and buddy list - but that's me, I am slightly autistic :)

allnameswereout
2009-09-04, 19:23
Nicotine is too resource hungry, and runs only on the local computer (N900 in this case).

Instead you want to run the client (which does the networking and traffic) on a computer with more resources which runs 24/7 on a good connection to which you can connect to with a client such as N900.

Therefore, use museekd with a client instead. For example, museekd + ssh + screen + mucous or museekd + museeq (Qt) or museekd + murmur (GTK+). Homepage of these projects is http://www.museek-plus.org

PS: iPhoneOS has mewseek (pro).

thecursedfly
2009-09-04, 20:34
I use soulseek for windows quite often, and I find the Browse User feature very helpful to discover new interests from people that share the files I'm searching for (and therefore usually like). I'd personally like to see that feature implemented when "right-clicking" on a file (or selecting a file and then selecting a "browse user" button).
I agree that there are better options for chat rooms around. I'm divided about private messages, they've been useful sometimes to contact the person sharing or requesting a file (they sometimes ban you if you don't share files too); if it's too much, it's sacrificable though.
Thanks for the rest! I hope to use it on my soon to be N900 :-)

PS. I've never used Nicotine, but Soulseek if very resource friendly afaik; much more than other p2p applications, probably because it doesn't support multi-source downloads.

allnameswereout
2009-09-04, 21:17
PS. I've never used Nicotine, but Soulseek if very resource friendly afaik; much more than other p2p applications, probably because it doesn't support multi-source downloads.Nor any kind of hashing like DC++ uses TTH, which makes its usage not scalable.

Point is that it uses resources on the device, and that P2P is not recommended over 3G or public WiFi APs. Yes, sure, it will work, but your 3G provider won't love you if you use the upload of the 3G network to upload gangsta rap MP3z to the internetz. And, for good reason IMO. Its much better spend for other tasks. Even some your 3G provider won't like either, such as VoIP.

thp
2009-09-18, 23:18
My plan is simplify the UI to the most important features, and to focus in the main use of the application (search, download and upload).

So, what other features shouldn't I cripple?

Nicotine on Maemo 5 would be nice, yes. I had a look at how they build the UI (converting .glade files to Python source in that case), and stopped there. Reparenting widgets into a bare Maemo 5 UI and simply hiding Nicotine's windows is probably the easiest way to do it, even if it's not very good performance-wise, as lots of unnecessary stuff gets created and probably updated in the background.

What you shouldn't cripple: Saved searches ("wishlist").

Make first-time configuration automatic: Hardcode the downloads path (/home/user/MyDocs/Nicotine maybe?) and generate a random username and password on first start, so users don't have to fiddle with the settings dialog. The downloads and uploads list can probably be in a separate StackableWindow (accessible as AppMenu buttons?), and the searches probably a list of searches that - when touched - will open the current results of the touched search in a new StackableWindow. The only usable search results filter is probably the "free slots" filter.

Keep it plain and simple :)

thecursedfly
2009-09-19, 14:46
Make first-time configuration automatic: Hardcode the downloads path (/home/user/MyDocs/Nicotine maybe?) and generate a random username and password on first start, so users don't have to fiddle with the settings dialog. The downloads and uploads list can probably be in a separate StackableWindow (accessible as AppMenu buttons?), and the searches probably a list of searches that - when touched - will open the current results of the touched search in a new StackableWindow. The only usable search results filter is probably the "free slots" filter.

Keep it plain and simple :)
totally agree

debernardis
2009-12-14, 12:24
FWIW, nicotine for easy debian chroot works smoothly enough...

realcomix
2009-12-31, 00:25
FWIW, nicotine for easy debian chroot works smoothly enough...

on the N900? how ..

debernardis
2009-12-31, 05:18
Easy debian is a way to run programs from a debian distro, which has been present since the N800, courtesy of Qole.
If you want to try, go see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=446994 and follow his instructions. When you're ready with your debian installation, you'll be able to use its synaptic package manager to get nicotine from debian repositories.

Feel free to ask for further help if you need! :)

acou
2010-01-10, 20:09
The ability to use Nicotine had a big impact on my decision to get the N900. After searching around a little I've managed to get some info on the porting progress: http://twitter.com/yerga/status/6598534340
So it's coming. Cheers Yerga! :)

yerga
2010-01-15, 17:04
The ability to use Nicotine had a big impact on my decision to get the N900. After searching around a little I've managed to get some info on the porting progress: http://twitter.com/yerga/status/6598534340
So it's coming. Cheers Yerga! :)

It's in a very early stage and just the UI, I'll need to connect the UI with the real functions after it (I'm rewriting the UI completely for Maemo). It will take time yet.

realcomix
2010-01-25, 18:01
It's in a very early stage and just the UI, I'll need to connect the UI with the real functions after it (I'm rewriting the UI completely for Maemo). It will take time yet.

- thank you so much! i cant wait

thp
2010-01-25, 18:32
- thank you so much! i cant wait

If you can live with the "ugly" Desktop UI, simply download Nicotine, extract it to your $HOME and then start it. Make sure to have Python and its GTK+2 bindings installed. You most likely need a stylus, and the UX is less than pleasant, but it provides you with a SoulSeek client until Daniel finishes the Maemo 5 UI :)

xavi6
2010-02-26, 09:44
hi Guys :-) any progress on Porting "Nicotine" to Meamo 5!? hope it's not forgotten or been let go!!

anyway, still meamo.org and N900 rocks!! and you developers are Amazin ;-)

acou
2010-02-27, 01:17
If you can live with the "ugly" Desktop UI, simply download Nicotine, extract it to your $HOME and then start it. Make sure to have Python and its GTK+2 bindings installed. You most likely need a stylus, and the UX is less than pleasant, but it provides you with a SoulSeek client until Daniel finishes the Maemo 5 UI :)

That would do as a temp solution. Can you please give me a step by step howto?
I don't have the bindings installed. Where to get them? Does this procedure also work with Nicotine+?

thp
2010-02-27, 01:23
That would do as a temp solution. Can you please give me a step by step howto?
I don't have the bindings installed. Where to get them? Does this procedure also work with Nicotine+?

Actually I think I only tried it with Nicotine+. Here are the rough instructions (from memory, haven't tried it for some months):

sudo gainroot
apt-get install python-gtk2
exit (leave root shell)
Download nicotine+-1.2.15.tar.gz from http://www.nicotine-plus.org/
tar xzvf nicotine+-1.2.15.tar.gz
cd nicotine+-1.2.15
python nicotine.py

m2cm2c
2010-03-02, 17:19
Actually I think I only tried it with Nicotine+. Here are the rough instructions (from memory, haven't tried it for some months):

sudo gainroot
apt-get install python-gtk2
exit (leave root shell)
Download nicotine+-1.2.15.tar.gz from http://www.nicotine-plus.org/
tar xzvf nicotine+-1.2.15.tar.gz
cd nicotine+-1.2.15
python nicotine.py

I would like to add that you have to also install "python-glade2".
so this should be #apt-get install python-gtk2 python-glade2
bye and have fun