PDA

View Full Version : Video Calling

BaKSo
2009-09-04, 10:08
hey just a question, there is not video calling stated on N900 spec, is this possible (with cellular) and how about video calling on skype?

zerojay
2009-09-04, 10:45
hey just a question, there is not video calling stated on N900 spec, is this possible (with cellular) and how about video calling on skype?

Going from what we know, video calling won't be supported by cellular and won't be supported by Skype. Probably will only work when calling another N900 user over Google Talk if at all.

benny1967
2009-09-04, 10:54
I hope a future firmware upgrade will at least enable video calling via 3G to other phones. I don't know people on Skype, but everybody I know has a phone that does video calls. It would be very, very strange to own a "flagship" device and be the only one who cannot do that.

nowave7
2009-09-04, 11:04
Yes indeed that would be quite irresponsible of Nokia not to implement such a feature...

Andre Klapper
2009-09-04, 11:10
I wonder if there any official standard (RFC?) for video calling?

BaKSo
2009-09-04, 11:12
hmm so it is not confirmed yet... but why the put camera on front if the dont plan to put video calling? are they plan to make us taking our own photos with that?? weird...

benny1967
2009-09-04, 11:14
Yes indeed that would be quite irresponsible of Nokia not to implement such a feature...

Phone features on the N900 in general are faaar behind compared to most any S60 device... It really looks like they got the most basic features working - and decided it would be good enough. (Which most probably it is for 96.498% of the consumers :D - sometimes I really, really wish I was one of these people who are always in some target group and get what they want. I envy those who are content with an iPhone. Really, I do.)

benny1967
2009-09-04, 11:19

there must be - it works across devices of different brand and across networks/carriers.

i remember reading somewhere that it's part of the UMTS standard.

BaKSo
2009-09-04, 11:20
Phone features on the N900 in general are faaar behind compared to most any S60 device... It really looks like they got the most basic features working - and decided it would be good enough. (Which most probably it is for 96.498% of the consumers :D - sometimes I really, really wish I was one of these people who are always in some target group and get what they want. I envy those who are content with an iPhone. Really, I do.)

yes i understand that this in not a full celular capable device, i understand that mms seems to be out of date and can be replace by online sharing but no video calling, i really want to know their reason to put front camera if it is other than for video call and web calling?

zerojay
2009-09-04, 11:20
there must be - it works across devices of different brand and across networks/carriers.

i remember reading somewhere that it's part of the UMTS standard.

Well, could be that it now works with all that, but we've heard nothing at all about it... which is strange, because you'd think it would be a big feature.

lma
2009-09-04, 11:56

That would be 3GPP TS 22.401 (http://ftp.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/22_series/22.401/) in the context of this thread.

In the IETF (SIP) and XMPP (Jingle) worlds the specs are spread over several documents, but IP video calls do work in Diablo with those protocols if both ends can agree on a matching codec (modulo a relatively minor annoyance (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=26449&p=260119) with activating the camera for SIP video calls on the N810).

BaKSo
2009-09-04, 13:03
That would be 3GPP TS 22.401 (http://ftp.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/22_series/22.401/) in the context of this thread.

In the IETF (SIP) and XMPP (Jingle) worlds the specs are spread over several documents, but IP video calls do work in Diablo with those protocols if both ends can agree on a matching codec (modulo a relatively minor annoyance (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=26449&p=260119) with activating the camera for SIP video calls on the N810).

i'm really lost when you guys talk technical stuff =(, maybe i just a type of end user...

kdrozd
2009-09-05, 15:43
Found on the UK N900 promo site:
In :Call Management" : Video calling: availability will be announced later
Same thing on Polish site :)

This mean official release date or software update?

link: http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n900/specifications

xavi6
2009-09-05, 21:43
ok but did they mean by video calling will be announced later meaning that the regular vidoe call or the sip video call like the gizmo which i use in a regular basis to see my wife and the kids back home!? actually the main reason for me to have the n810 is the gizmo application which is sooo cool to chat or vide call where ever or whenever :-)

BaKSo
2009-09-09, 00:54
okay, i just read nokia discussion forum and some people claim that N900 can't do video calling because it can't run 3G and 2G at the same time,

which mean when you making a call you can't browse the internet and can't use 3G service such as Video calling too..

is anyone have any though on this ?

tso
2009-09-09, 01:01
wtf? i dont think i ever haerd that one need to run gsm and umts side by side to make a video call.

still, given this and the mms thing, and nokia blaiming the kernel networking code, i wonder if their choice of radio chip is at fault there. But thats me speculating.

also, i wonder if the launch was a marketing call, based on the leak, upcoming nokia world, oncoming christmas season, and the features being software related at this stage.

in other words, launch now, patch later...

crap, is the phone industry picking up bad habits from the video games industry?

attila77
2009-09-09, 01:08
Anyway, what's you use case for that ? You make a video call and then let someone watch you surf ? Not to mention they would see you sideways (as you rotated the N900) and likely obscured by fingers/hands :D At least think up something more plausible (as checking mail, or sending a file to the person you're talking to). :)

viplob
2009-09-09, 01:09
I have a tm506 hspa phone with T-mobile service. It doesn't support a voice call (using GSM) and data (HSPA) simultaneously. Whereas, using an EVDO phone I could have voice and data concurrently. Is this an inherent issue with HSPA in that it doesn't suport voice calls, therefore the GSM modem has to be switched, in forcing it to drop the data call?

tso
2009-09-09, 03:48
my understanding is that umts (that hspa builds on) is self-contained from gsm.

mobiledivide
2009-09-09, 03:55
Um AFAIK its the reverse, HSPA supports simultaneous data and voice and CDMA (EVDO) does not. 2G GSM phones using Edge or GPRS could not sustain voice and data simultaneously.

I have a tm506 hspa phone with T-mobile service. It doesn't support a voice call (using GSM) and data (HSPA) simultaneously. Whereas, using an EVDO phone I could have voice and data concurrently. Is this an inherent issue with HSPA in that it doesn't suport voice calls, therefore the GSM modem has to be switched, in forcing it to drop the data call?

sga
2010-03-21, 21:22
I hope a future firmware upgrade will at least enable video calling via 3G to other phones. I don't know people on Skype, but everybody I know has a phone that does video calls. It would be very, very strange to own a "flagship" device and be the only one who cannot do that.

Totally agree with you. If you read the manual for the N900 (on nokia.com) it actually describes how to activate 3G videocalls. But the described menues are not on the phone.. So it seems like Nokia intended to make 3G calls available - but, for some reason, decided not to in the last minute...(?)

Still - love the N900 - great phone! No turning back now - to "ordinary" phones ;)

sga

Tomaszd
2010-03-21, 21:39
Totally agree with you. If you read the manual for the N900 (on nokia.com) it actually describes how to activate 3G videocalls. But the described menues are not on the phone.. So it seems like Nokia intended to make 3G calls available - but, for some reason, decided not to in the last minute...(?)

Still - love the N900 - great phone! No turning back now - to "ordinary" phones ;)

sga

The new manual does not describe 3G video calls, just Internet video calls (most likely only Jabber/Google Talk). This feature is going to arrive with the PR1.2 firmware upgrade, hopefully soon.

The problem is that the new, updated manual got released (some say "leaked") before the new, updated firmware.

emeni
2010-03-30, 13:20
on the romanian and english site it's stated also:

"Front camera: VGA web camera"

An availability of video call, is something not very detailed. It might come or it might not.

Kingsley
2010-03-30, 15:47
I will be zero percent impressed if we don't get 3G video calling.
if we had this and integrated mms i'd have nothing to complain about!

andraeseus1
2010-04-28, 17:10
I will be zero percent impressed if we don't get 3G video calling.
if we had this and integrated mms i'd have nothing to complain about!

sure u would. what about file treansfer via im service? what about the suck *** camera that nokia refuses to recognize or do something about what about lack of appswhat about no office support and the alternative is painfully slow

andraeseus1
2010-04-28, 17:11
y is this thread so short. video calling is something that is a hot topic and people want it

gjoe
2010-04-28, 17:29
nowadays, video calls via 3G network is a must have feature, especially device like nokia n900..

mobiledivide
2010-04-28, 17:41
Video calling via gtalk is possible if the pc/mac client initiates the call, over 3G not so much. Personally I would prefer to have Skype video calling rather than 3G many more people I know use that (I live in the US where no carrier offers true video calling)

andraeseus1
2010-04-28, 23:43
Video calling via gtalk is possible if the pc/mac client initiates the call, over 3G not so much. Personally I would prefer to have Skype video calling rather than 3G many more people I know use that (I live in the US where no carrier offers true video calling)

have you personally tried thsi gtalk rumor?

gom4381
2010-04-28, 23:45
I have two gmail accounts and can confirm that the gtalk rumor is not a rumor. It is fact!

Laughing Man
2010-04-29, 00:00
You can already do video-calling via GTALK, you just need to initiate it from a Windows or Mac PC..

PR 1.2 just adds the capability to start it from the N900 as far as I know. For those expecting Skype video call, I wouldn't set your expectations high.

mobilefan
2010-04-29, 03:50
have you personally tried thsi gtalk rumor?

I was able to video chat on GTalk, but the initiator must be someone on a PC/Mac computer. I get mixed results, sometimes my friend on the computer sees me (the video taken with the front cam on the N900) pretty decent, but the video I see of them from their webcam is choppy. Sometimes, it's the other way around. So not sure why.

I'm on 3.5G, while my friend is on cable broadband. Switching to wifi on my N900 doesn't make a difference.

Although not stellar video performance on both ends, its a cool feature to have nonetheless. Hoping newer firmwares might improve this aspect.

danx
2010-04-29, 10:35
i use video chat with my brother . i live in the USA (California , tustin) and he lives in central america (Guatemala) . works great but sometimes a little choppy on there end . I will go to e mail tomorow and try to call from my g talk imstead of my phone feature.

mail_gansukh
2010-12-17, 01:09
hi i need 3G video call sorry my english not better how to 3g video call

Radu
2010-12-17, 01:12
Video calling using what? Skype? Gtalk?
You do it over 3G as you would do it over WiFi..

Joseph.skb
2010-12-17, 02:08
y is this thread so short. video calling is something that is a hot topic and people want it

Yes, 3G video calling is a VERY important application and most people (N900 owners) want it.
No, the thread is short because it was discussed at lenght on another similar thread:
Application for video calling over 3G network
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65691&page=5

Anyway, it's good to keep this topic ongoing and prioritized so someday, sooner (rather than later), we will get to use 3G video calling before the N900 becomes obsolete.

shadowjk
2010-12-21, 14:02
Video calling using what? Skype? Gtalk?
You do it over 3G as you would do it over WiFi..

He meant regular normal 3G Video Calls, which do not use internet. The N900 does not support it, but almost every other 3G phone does.

cfh11
2010-12-21, 15:13
Yes, 3G video calling is a VERY important application and most people (N900 owners) want it.

Bit of hyperbole here. I, for one, do not care about 3G video calling.

Ele-Mental
2011-01-27, 02:46
OK whats the status on 3G vid calling? YES/NO?

tuxoutpost
2011-01-27, 03:25
OK whats the status on 3G vid calling? YES/NO?

YES. I frequently make 3G video calls from work to my wife with Skype.

Ele-Mental
2011-01-27, 03:32
YES. I frequently make 3G video calls from work to my wife with Skype.

Sorry, my post lacked sufficient info. I meant 3G over normal telephony, not via VOIP.

shadowjk
2011-01-29, 13:59
No 3g video calls.

Internet video calls over skype (and gtalk?) work fine, as long as the data bearer you're using has enough bandwidth, including 3g.

kolos
2011-01-29, 14:13
3G Video calls are not supported.

3G Video chat over skype, gtalk etc. is supported.

AgentZ
2011-02-10, 20:57
Curious how is Tmobile doing their 4g video calls are they using Skype or Gtalk? or are they doing something else ?

leetnoob
2011-03-08, 15:28
isn't meego for n900 going to support direct 3g video calls? if, given that meego is open, i'm sure clever people will be able to port the functionality to maemo.

Sub-Negro
2011-05-26, 19:20
Anything new on this?

NightShift79
2012-02-04, 16:03
I also would like to bring that topic back.
Maybe one could sum up the status of video calling on the N900

Thank you.