PDA

View Full Version : n900 preorder on Nokia USA

sevla
2009-09-04, 14:26
http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products

If this is a repost please delete. $650 isn't too bad! If tmobile picks it up we can expect $300 sub.

sondjata
2009-09-04, 14:49
hmmm... I'll have to think on this. The thought of not having to carry my 800,phone and GPS device is very tempting indeed. My bank account will be in jeopardy if it comes out before my birthday. :-)

sevla
2009-09-04, 15:06
sell the gps/ 800 / phone and you'll have half the money right there :)

jolouis
2009-09-04, 16:51
For all you lucky buggers in the US, NokiaUSA is offering presale of the N900.. US retail price $649:

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n900?lid=teaser_N868mp_learn&lpos=3#/main/landing

Even includes free shipping and a free Bluetooth headset!

(Anyone in the US feel like putting in a pre-order for those of us in the rest of the world?...)

bdogg64
2009-09-04, 17:15
I would love to put in a preorder, but its gonna cost me another $50 with taxes on the http://nokiausa.com site. With the phone already being $650 and I won't get it any sooner, I think I'll wait until it hits some online retailers.

ysss
2009-09-04, 17:21
AND.. the 3G only work with T-Mobile, doesn't it?

bdogg64
2009-09-04, 17:26

Yes, its 3G bands are only compatible with T-Mobile.

ysss
2009-09-04, 17:37
I wonder why they don't mention it at all in the order page. Bet there are gonna be lots of disappointed people... or.... could it be that Nokia will release a proper quad band for the US afterall?

christexaport
2009-09-04, 17:44
this device will mainly be used on WiFi unless a carrier is involved, and then, it may be more attractive to buy it from them with a healthy subsidy. Its just like the N810 WiMax Edition.

mykenyc
2009-09-04, 17:50
im buying it without subsidy as your remember when the mytouch was released tmobile specifically said it will be there star phone "for the year" so i can see this being released next year which i cannot wait for, im to impatient and money comes/goes. Plus i spend probably 200 dollars on McDonalds a month alone lol (no im not fat which is the odd part)

bdogg64
2009-09-04, 17:55
im buying it without subsidy as your remember when the mytouch was released tmobile specifically said it will be there star phone "for the year" so i can see this being released next year which i cannot wait for, im to impatient and money comes/goes. Plus i spend probably 200 dollars on McDonalds a month alone lol (no im not fat which is the odd part)

I agree ... all except the McDonalds part lol ... I'm on T-Mobile, but I am already locked in for 2 years because of the G1 and it doesn't appear that T-Mobile will be picking this up quickly for fear of taking away MyTouch 3G sales, which is a shame.

sondjata
2009-09-04, 18:05

From what I see it supports the ATT 850MHz channel. So it should work with ATT 3G. Heck I'm even willing to test it out in the store when it comes out.

Never mind. Was reading the wrong part

jandmdickerson
2009-09-04, 18:06
I have also pre-ordered mine. Along with the free bluetooth and shipping they offered me a second year of warranty for $20, which I bought. Did everyone else get the extended warranty?

texaslabrat
2009-09-04, 18:14
I have also pre-ordered mine. Along with the free bluetooth and shipping they offered me a second year of warranty for $20, which I bought. Did everyone else get the extended warranty?

I didn't get the extended warranty. In my experience, if an electronic device is going to die it is typically a case of infant mortality within the first week or 2 of being used and having full charge cycles. AFAIK the extended warranty doesn't protect against user stupidity (eg dropping onto concrete, taking it swimming, etc), thus the most likely causes of failure after the 1st year aren't even covered by the warranty. If it were "insurance" it would be a different story, of course... JMHO, YMMV, etc.

mjc
2009-09-04, 18:36
I didn't get the extended warranty. In my experience, if an electronic device is going to die it is typically a case of infant mortality within the first week or 2 of being used and having full charge cycles. AFAIK the extended warranty doesn't protect against user stupidity (eg dropping onto concrete, taking it swimming, etc), thus the most likely causes of failure after the 1st year aren't even covered by the warranty. If it were "insurance" it would be a different story, of course... JMHO, YMMV, etc.

Not the case with my N95-3. First one died near the end of its one year warranty. Cellular radio was flaking out and Nokia first blamed AT&T, but Nokia eventually replaced it. One year with the new phone and the cellular radio appears to be crapping out again. Time to use the credit card warranty extension provision.

I think I might opt for the $20 warranty when I buy the N900.

hfm
2009-09-04, 18:53
Not the case with my N95-3. First one died near the end of its one year warranty. Cellular radio was flaking out and Nokia first blamed AT&T, but Nokia eventually replaced it. One year with the new phone and the cellular radio appears to be crapping out again. Time to use the credit card warranty extension provision.

I think I might opt for the $20 warranty when I buy the N900.

It sounds like there's a reliability issue with Nokia's radio there..

texaslabrat
2009-09-04, 18:55
It sounds like there's a reliability issue with Nokia's radio there..

Or just incredibly bad luck. My N95-3 is still running strong with zero issues :)

Bratag
2009-09-04, 18:58
VERY tempted to get this pre-order. Was going to wait until Tmob picked it up, but I have some serious doubts it will be picked up before 2010.

Have to think on it.

christexaport
2009-09-04, 19:29
Don't believe carriers that say "this is our star phone". That's just like Nokia saying the N97 will be the flagship. Yeah, for 5 minutes.

danramos
2009-09-04, 19:58

Why are you spending money on wifi? I go all over the place and find FREE wifi (Burger King, Panera, Friendly's, etc. even the city of Hartford has a free city wifi downtown).

jandmdickerson
2009-09-04, 20:15

Trust me I "milked" my one year warranty on my n800 and n810, they even gave me new batteries. Besides in my State the warranty is pro-rated over the program time frame so I can get a refund on it if I choose, and the normal price for this extended warranty is around $80. Nevertheless, I will let you know two years from now if my $20 could have been better spent. ;)

Crashdamage
2009-09-04, 20:36
1st post, been lurking a while. I'll start asking questions later.

I went ahead and paid an arm and a leg to pre-order it directly from NokiaUSA because...

1. I wanted it NOW! Ok, so I'm weak...but there's no guarantee T-Mobile will ever get the phone even if I waited. No one I've spoken to at T-Mo knows anything about the N900 - or won't admit to it.

2. I'm not due for a full upgrade discount fo another year and a partial upgrade price wouldn't save all that much money. And again, I'd have to wait to see if I'd even get that.

3. I'll have the pure, unadulterated generic USA version - no missing features, reduced specs or capabilities, carrier-specific apps or UI changes, all the stuff providers are so fond of adding/subtracting to "customize" their specific versions. So may be worth a little more if I sell it later or nicer to use if I don't.

Looks like about a month 'til I'll have it in my greasy hands...gonna be a loooong month...

Bratag
2009-09-04, 20:42
Just spoke to a fairly reliable source within tmobile USA and he said there were no plans to pick up the device this year. So ..... Take from that whatever you want and also with the usual disclaimers etc.

mykenyc
2009-09-04, 20:52
Why are you spending money on wifi? I go all over the place and find FREE wifi (Burger King, Panera, Friendly's, etc. even the city of Hartford has a free city wifi downtown).

lol no i was talking about my consumption rate at mcdonalds lol :D

Don't believe carriers that say "this is our star phone". That's just like Nokia saying the N97 will be the flagship. Yeah, for 5 minutes.

its a little different thought think about it like this they have to do renaming of the device if they want to. Also packaging, manually for us workers, being that maemo is a new platform for t-mobile customer care would have to learn the device before release and no one have mentioned anything of that sort or leaks. We as sales reps would have to train also. This is a huge device break-through for tmobile and it would decrease sales of mytouch believe me. So i would honestly have to say within three month i hiiiiiighly doubt it will hit this year this will blow the blackberry 9700 (soon to be released) and mytouch 3g out the water.

danramos
2009-09-04, 21:13
3. I'll have the pure, unadulterated generic USA version - no missing features, reduced specs or capabilities, carrier-specific apps or UI changes, all the stuff providers are so fond of adding/subtracting to "customize" their specific versions. So may be worth a little more if I sell it later or nicer to use if I don't.

That wasn't assuming at ALL that the one they're selling right now is the limited one and a more capable one might come along. :P

danramos
2009-09-04, 21:16
Plus i spend probably 200 dollars on McDonalds a month alone lol (no im not fat which is the odd part)Why are you spending money on wifi? I go all over the place and find FREE wifi (Burger King, Panera, Friendly's, etc. even the city of Hartford has a free city wifi downtown).lol no i was talking about my consumption rate at mcdonalds lol :D

...so you ARE fat! You LIED! :p

sachin007
2009-09-04, 21:19
What will nokia/t-mobile gain with being mum on this word? They can say :

" At this point we do not have any deals with t-mobile but we may look into that in the future"

or

" Yeah we are working with t-mobile to subsidize the phone"

For me either way it will clear confusion and let the customer make an informed decision instead of keeping them in the dark and making them wait.

epilido
2009-09-04, 21:37
Pre-ordered. Too bad I'll be out of town for a month when it ships...... maybe I can get it forwarded.

Epi

MountainX
2009-09-04, 21:49
I went ahead and paid an arm and a leg to pre-order it directly from NokiaUSA because...

I would definitely and immediately do the same, rather than wait for a subsidized N900 from TMobile, if I can use the N900 on a prepaid plan. Is this possible?

mykenyc
2009-09-04, 22:10
That wasn't assuming at ALL that the one they're selling right now is the limited one and a more capable one might come along. :P

its business though. Think about it out of the blogsphere nobody in the USA even know this phone exists, think about if t-mobile made a announcement that they are getting a phone better than the mytouch (which im pretty sure they wouldn't say but i'd be common sense) and iphone who would buy the mytouch lol. I swear any customer that comes into my store and say they on tmobile and about to leave for ATT only leave for the iphone point blank .

Crashdamage
2009-09-05, 01:04

I'm not worried. Supposedly, the the N900, particularly an unlocked NokiaUSA one, will be updated much like my G1 has. It's FAR more capable now than when I got it on pre-order.

However, I am kinda curious how the change from Maemo 5 to v6 will affect things. Guess I'm gonna find out...

Crashdamage
2009-09-05, 01:15
I would definitely and immediately do the same, rather than wait for a subsidized N900 from TMobile, if I can use the N900 on a prepaid plan. Is this possible?

Absolutely. Locked, unlocked - they still get to bill you every month. And if you use an unlocked phone they're not having to finance your subsidy on a locked model while the service charge is the same. Might explain T-Mo's friendly policy toward unlocked phones.

I understand in most of the world no subsidy cost means you get a cheaper rate, but no such luck in the US, No carriers do that here.

christexaport
2009-09-05, 01:44
at&t does. you can get web for almost $10 if unlocked, $25-30 on a subsidized smartphone.

Bratag
2009-09-05, 03:07
Just one last Q before I pre-order - It says available in select markets Oct 2009. Does that "select" include those pre-ordered for the USA?

jandmdickerson
2009-09-05, 03:16
Just one last Q before I pre-order - It says available in select markets Oct 2009. Does that "select" include those pre-ordered for the USA?

Call the Nokia CR mine told me shipping first week of October. So I anticipate mid to late October.:D

bleomycin
2009-09-05, 03:19
I'm on the fence about pre-ordering. Is everyone pre-ordering because they are worried about nokia raising the price once released? Because the odds of t-mobile launching a subsidized version any time soon aren't looking promising and they're just willing to pay a premium to get it NOW? (i'm in the 2nd group, assuming t-mobile is going to drag their feet for more than a month, of course there's no way to tell anything at this point) :(

Bratag
2009-09-05, 03:24
Excellent news about the shipping. And based on what I have read and a conversation with a couple of engineers inside tmobile USA - I dont think we are going to see the n900 for AT LEAST 6 months if at all on the tmobile network USA

ysss
2009-09-05, 03:26
@bleomycin: raising price? I've never heard of that happen on any other devices. the only occurence of raised smartphone market prices that i know of is with the iphone, and that's mainly because of scalpers taking advantage of shortage of supplies.

kenny
2009-09-05, 03:29
this device will mainly be used on WiFi unless a carrier is involved, and then, it may be more attractive to buy it from them with a healthy subsidy. Its just like the N810 WiMax Edition.

???????????

kenny
2009-09-05, 03:35
T-Mobile does not offer any pre-paid data plans......only voice.
(Besides the Sidekick plan.)

DaKing
2009-09-05, 04:13
hey everyone :) .. i just wanted to ask u some strange question i want to pre-order the N900 but am just wondering will this version be made in China as what happened in US in the N97 and in europ only made in Finland or in all countries from Finland.. thank you

Bratag
2009-09-05, 16:24
Order placed. I figure I used to spend 4-8 bucks a day on coffee but since Ive started making my own I spend maybe 30cents. The excitement about getting a n900 has to equal at least a couple of dozen coffees ..... wait I forgot where I was going with this.

ANYWAY WHOOO Oct Roll on.

Crashdamage
2009-09-05, 16:48
Order placed. I figure I used to spend 4-8 bucks a day on coffee but since Ive started making my own I spend maybe 30cents. The excitement about getting a n900 has to equal at least a couple of dozen coffees ..... wait I forgot where I was going with this.

Maybe you were going to...do a little development work for Maemo apps? (Hint...VNC...poke poke)

It's a race...I ordered mine yesterday...I'd better get it before you!

mykenyc
2009-09-05, 17:29
im assuming when you pre-order they take the full amount immediately right?

jandmdickerson
2009-09-05, 17:56
im assuming when you pre-order they take the full amount immediately right?

Yes, the only thing Nokia loves more than revenue is unearned revenue. All the money and none of the work. ;) They took it all out my account the day after my pre-order.

I want my tablet/mobile computer/phone thingy right now!!

mykenyc
2009-09-05, 18:05
Yes, the only thing Nokia loves more than revenue is unearned revenue. All the money and none of the work. ;) They took it all out my account the day after my pre-order.

I want my tablet/mobile computer/phone thingy right now!!

lol okay time to sell me a touch pro 2 and order it next we schwing!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Bratag
2009-09-05, 19:15
Maybe you were going to...do a little development work for Maemo apps? (Hint...VNC...poke poke)

It's a race...I ordered mine yesterday...I'd better get it before you!

Yeah Definitely will be developing for maemo. Will be a relief to get off of android were the API, the docs and real life seem to differ daily.

There were so many things that annoyed me about android it amazes me I coded the 6 apps I did

talmage
2009-09-06, 17:00
I pre-ordered mine about five minutes ago. The more I thought about it, the more the phone looked like the one I've wanted for about five years: WIFI, mobile broadband, lots of internal storage that I can add to, built-in GPS, decent screen and keyboard, pocket sized. Yay Nokia!

---- EDIT: 9/16/2009 ----

After 40 minutes on the telephone with Nokia USA, I canceled my pre-order because Nokia's billing software is broken. When I placed the order, Nokia placed a pre-authorization hold for the total on my credit card. That's fair. When the hold expired today, Nokia placed another pre-authorization hold for a new amount: the original plus sales tax. The problem is that the original amount already included sales tax. This new hold, which my bank rejected, would deny me the use of some of my credit. Nokia USA told me that they cannot do anything about it. I have to accept this higher pre-authorization hold or cancel my order. So I canceled my order. I might order from Amazon, which has it for much less than Nokia.

bAxon
2009-09-07, 01:12
how bad is BH-703 (being offered with N900)..I wonder if there is a way to pay the difference and upgrade to a better unit like BH -804

jandmdickerson
2009-09-07, 01:23
how bad is BH-703 (being offered with N900)..I wonder if there is a way to pay the difference and upgrade to a better unit like BH -804

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/2008/08/nokia-bh-703-review.html

Seems decent...:)

ysss
2009-09-07, 08:10
A list of worldwide 3G carrier frequencies, to see how much this 1700 vs 1900 mhz thing matters to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks

DaKing
2009-09-07, 15:37
please can anyone tell me the manufacturing place if it is from finland or china i had some bad experience with chinese N95 thats why am worried so plz help :confused::confused::confused:

SD69
2009-09-07, 15:48
A list of worldwide 3G carrier frequencies, to see how much this 1700 vs 1900 mhz thing matters to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networksThat info is not the info you want to use. As has been said before, AWS band will be common in the Americas within the next few years. Here is the 3rd hit on a Google search for "AWS Americas"

http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/press-releases/2009/3448.htm

R-R
2009-09-07, 18:29
Can anyone from Nokia explain why i can't order from Canada and get it shipped here? :-(

christexaport
2009-09-08, 16:07
the RX-51 is with AWS only, and only in the US, from the looks of it. You'll have to order from NokiaUSA.com and have shipped to you. Is that what you've tried?

ysss
2009-09-08, 16:19
That info is not the info you want to use. As has been said before, AWS band will be common in the Americas within the next few years. Here is the 3rd hit on a Google search for "AWS Americas"

http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/press-releases/2009/3448.htm

wait, if i I live in a country listed in the previous link with a carrier that'ss 2100mhz compatible (ie: singapore), doesn't that mean that N900 will work fine here?

klinglerware
2009-09-08, 16:53
wait, if i I live in a country listed in the previous link with a carrier that'ss 2100mhz compatible (ie: singapore), doesn't that mean that N900 will work fine here?

It should, at least for voice and probably for data too. T-mobile USA phones with the 1700/2100 band have been able to leverage the 2100 band for calls in places like Japan, that use the 2100 band.

I assume that it means that it will work where 2100 is used for 3G, but I don't know for sure.

ysss
2009-09-08, 16:57
It should, at least for voice and probably for data too. T-mobile USA phones with the 1700/2100 band have been able to leverage the 2100 band for calls in places like Japan, that use the 2100 band.

I assume that it means that it will work where 2100 is used for 3G, but I don't know for sure.

It says the 3G data uses wcmda, and there are 3 bands listed\used: 900/1700/2100.

So I assume from the previous list of worldwide UMTS frequency deployment, if your carrier uses any one of the 3 supported wcdma frequencies, you'll get 3G data?

What frequency does 2.5G use? Doesn't that make use of the EGSM frequencies than the wcdma ones?

klinglerware
2009-09-08, 17:15
It says the 3G data uses wcmda, and there are 3 bands listed\used: 900/1700/2100.

So I assume from the previous list of worldwide UMTS frequency deployment, if your carrier uses any one of the 3 supported wcdma frequencies, you'll get 3G data?

What frequency does 2.5G use? Doesn't that make use of the EGSM frequencies than the wcdma ones?

Depends. For T-mobile in the US, you need both the 1700 & the 2100 bands, since one is used for uploads and the other is used for downloads. I think that just having the 2100 band may be sufficient in other countries that use the 2100 band--NOKIA has released n-series smartphones with just the 2100 3g band, in the past, so I'm guessing that is all that is necessary in some countries.

UMTS (faster than edge but slower than HSDPA) uses the same bands as HSDPA.

EDGE & GPRS use the standard GSM cellular bands (850, 900, 1800, or 1900--depending on your network and country)

kenny
2009-09-08, 20:26
the RX-51 is with AWS only, and only in the US, from the looks of it. You'll have to order from NokiaUSA.com and have shipped to you. Is that what you've tried?
The Nokia N900 is being released in various areas of the world ("in selected markets" ) with one model only (as apples to the GSM radio frequencies.) Those frequencies are stated in the specs, and are also stated in this and several other threads here at talk.maemo.
I'm curious. Do you ever read any of the replies here? It strikes me that for a tech journalist / blogger, there often seems to be a high level of incorrect information in your posts.

Crashdamage
2009-09-08, 20:56
To get back to the subject of pre-orders from Nokia USA...I just got a phone call from Nokia to verify the charges on my credit card. Seems my N900 will be shipped in a day or two. So I should actually have it my grubby fist sometime next week!

mhotep
2009-09-08, 20:59
I really hope that is true. If so I'm ordering mine ASAP! :D

To get back to the subject of pre-orders from Nokia USA...I just got a phone call from Nokia to verify the charges on my credit card. Seems my N900 will be shipped in a day or two. So I should actually have it my grubby fist sometime next week!

Bratag
2009-09-08, 21:01

Damn - where is my phonecall.

Crashdamage
2009-09-08, 21:02
I really hope that is true. If so I'm ordering mine ASAP! :D
I would NOT pull everyone's chain about a thing like that. Of course, I'll post again when it actually arrives with some first impressions.

mhotep
2009-09-08, 21:08
Oh. I believe you, just hoping someone at Nokia didn't make a mistake. Is this the usual method, call to verify CC info then ship a few days later? Anyone else getting phone calls to verify no mistakes on Nokia's end?

I would NOT pull everyone's chain about a thing like that. Of course, I'll post again when it actually arrives with some first impressions.

hypnotik
2009-09-08, 21:09

Did Nokia actually say they would be shipping it soon? They already charged my credit card - well actually Brightpoint NA charged it immediately upon placing the preorder. I still am under the impression that orders won't be shipped out until mid-October.

Laughing Man
2009-09-08, 21:22
Oh. I believe you, just hoping someone at Nokia didn't make a mistake. Is this the usual method, call to verify CC info then ship a few days later? Anyone else getting phone calls to verify no mistakes on Nokia's end?

Not sure if it's the usual method, but for high value purchases I've noticed that either the credit card company or the seller will call the buyer to make sure everything checks out or is valid.

klinglerware
2009-09-08, 21:28
Damn - where is my phonecall.

I received a phone call also but they did not promise a ship date, only a "you will know when it ships when you receive a tracking number from the shipper".

One could hope for earlier, but my sense is that early October is really when we will be seeing it.

Crashdamage
2009-09-08, 23:19
I received a phone call also but they did not promise a ship date, only a "you will know when it ships when you receive a tracking number from the shipper".

One could hope for earlier, but my sense is that early October is really when we will be seeing it.

Could be, just have to see what happens. But...when I asked the Nokia rep when it would be shipped she said it "would take a day or two." So I said then I likely would have it next week and she answered that with 3-day shipping I should. She said they were "working through the first round of orders."

Also, I got an email notice of the charges from Nokia which said I would get an another email notice when the item was actually shipped. I didn't expect to get it for at least a month but now, even if I don't get it next week it probably won't be a friggin' month either. Clearly the unit hasn't actually left the building yet, but I'm gettin' a positive vibe about this.

ysss
2009-09-09, 13:19
Are you guys serious? i've been putting off my N900 order cause the expected ship date is still more than a month away (from previous rumors). Any updates from those who got called today?

BruceL
2009-09-09, 17:50
Ysss and others,

Unfortunately, I got a call too and when he said "It will ship tomorrow or the next day" I asked him to verify that. Then he looked at the order and said "Oh you just have a pre-order. No, that will ship when it's ready." I asked "do you have any idea when that will be?" "With the N900s and phone like that they don't tell us" Blah blah blah.

So, sadly, it was probably just a mistake made from the operators saying the same thing over and over all day long.

There's always hope though!

Bruce

BTW for those who haven't pre-ordered yet, the call is because the order is over $500.

ysss
2009-09-09, 17:52
@BruceL: Ahhh ok..
Well, I'm placing my preorder today anyway :D

Kisama
2009-09-09, 20:14
I pre-ordered it. I'm locked in a T-mob contract, so I'll just relocate the SIM and sell my G1.

Bratag
2009-09-09, 21:05
I pre-ordered it. I'm locked in a T-mob contract, so I'll just relocate the SIM and sell my G1.

Wifes getting my G1. Keeping tmobile though

jalladin
2009-09-09, 21:45
hey i'm not sure which place most ppl are use to pre-order but i found a site that the same policy as exspansys but has the n900 going for 498.88 ... i placed my order:rolleyes:

misticjeff
2009-09-09, 21:53
hey i'm not sure which place most ppl are use to pre-order but i found a site that the same policy as exspansys but has the n900 going for 498.88 ... i placed my order:rolleyes:
Of course sharing the site with the community might be too much to ask??? :confused:

UCOMM
2009-09-09, 23:13
Originally Posted by jalladin
hey i'm not sure which place most ppl are use to pre-order but i found a site that the same policy as exspansys but has the n900 going for 498.88 ... i placed my order

Of course sharing the site with the community might be too much to ask???

here i found it for you

http://celluloco.com/nokia-n900-netbook-smartphone-mobile-computerwifi-edge-stereo-bl-pr-2419.html

seriously though, thats an ******* move not mentioning the website

never ordered from celluloco before, website looks like a mess, makes me hesitant, always see their youtube videos though ;p

mhotep
2009-09-09, 23:29
So the price I buy it at stays the same, even if Nokia changes the price when it becomes in stock? If so I may be in. Gotta check this dealer out a little before I order.:)

dvergin
2009-09-09, 23:42
here i found it for you

http://celluloco.com/nokia-n900-netbook-smartphone-mobile-computerwifi-edge-stereo-bl-pr-2419.html

Note this under the "Package Includes" tab on that page:

* European/Asian Warranty Only

* Please note that if this mobile brings a memory card, you may get a different memory denomination card than the one orginally mentioned in the manufacturer's global site. This discrepancy occurs due to the fact that manufacturers package different configurations in different countries where they launch their products. Hence, since Celluloco.com sources the mobiles in numerous regions of the world, we also receive differently packaged configurations of the mobiles we buy varying on a weekly basis.. Please email us prior to buying mobile to find out which size of memory comes in the configuration we have in stock!

I'm not sure how concerned U.S. buyers should be about the sourcing from different countries.

sachin007
2009-09-09, 23:44
Doesnt look good...especially for high end nokia phones....

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Celluloco#reviews

UCOMM
2009-09-10, 00:01
Doesnt look good...especially for high end nokia phones....

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Celluloco#reviews

as was to be suspected

jalladin
2009-09-10, 03:19
Sorry guys i thought i posted the link ( stayed up to late and then fell asleep ) this site is backed by a quite a few other notable sites one namely Cnet which i trust but thats up to you to decide...

site: http://www.celluloco.com/nokia-n900-netbook-smartphone-mobiele-computerwifi-edge-stereo-b-pr-2419.html

hypnotik
2009-09-10, 03:27
Sorry guys i thought i posted the link ( stayed up to late and then fell asleep ) this site is backed by a quite a few other notable sites one namely Cnet which i trust but thats up to you to decide...

site: http://www.celluloco.com/nokia-n900-netbook-smartphone-mobiele-computerwifi-edge-stereo-b-pr-2419.html

Well, it says "In Stock" too, which I highly doubt.

brunoqc
2009-09-10, 03:50
Well, it says "In Stock" too, which I highly doubt.

It also says "Coming Soon! ETA: October 21, 2009"

RWFarley
2009-09-10, 05:05
Wifes getting my G1. Keeping tmobile though

It may be more complicated than that. My roommate and I have TMO and I cannot use my E90 SIM in her G1. We actually have different data plans (even though the costs are the same) for the two phones. They send different initialization strings to the phones for Internet access set-up. SIM card phones aren't supposed to be like this, but American Telcos are GREEEDY....

Bratag
2009-09-10, 14:10
It may be more complicated than that. My roommate and I have TMO and I cannot use my E90 SIM in her G1. We actually have different data plans (even though the costs are the same) for the two phones. They send different initialization strings to the phones for Internet access set-up. SIM card phones aren't supposed to be like this, but American Telcos are GREEEDY....

Worse case I will cancel my g1 contract - authenticate her via wifi (thank God for rooted android) and buy the unlimited data plan for 25 bucks.

Yes US telcos are the devil I can agree with that whole heartedly.

sigep235
2009-09-10, 15:26
I found it at a place called Techno Tronics for 450$.. Ive tried reading up on the site and seeing how they handle things... looks ok i guess

Any other opinions?

http://www.tronicsjunkyard.com/products/Nokia-N900-Mobile-Computer-US-Version.html

ysss
2009-09-10, 15:32
@sigep235: that looks like a scam site. It's selling everything at unrealistic price, especially the iPhone 3GS 32GB.

PS: Are you affiliated with that site? How did you find it in the first place?

texaslabrat
2009-09-10, 15:36
I found it at a place called Techno Tronics for 450$.. Ive tried reading up on the site and seeing how they handle things... looks ok i guess

Any other opinions?

http://www.tronicsjunkyard.com/products/Nokia-N900-Mobile-Computer-US-Version.html

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/website-offering-storm-2-sale-310662/index2.html

If you have $450 to throw away, seems like a good a place as any to do it. However, if you actually want an N900, I'd shop elsewhere. Just my opinion, though.. I have no concrete information beyond what's contained in the thread I linked. However, you'll also notice they are listing the N97 for $400. Unlikely that's legit, either. Add it all together and I would personally run away as fast as I could while clutching my wallet with both hands. Again..that's just me.

sigep235
2009-09-10, 15:36
HAHA... naw im not affiliated with them.. I just want this phone really bad so I have been looking high and low for prices a bit more in my range

Crashdamage
2009-09-10, 18:39
My roommate and I have TMO and I cannot use my E90 SIM in her G1. We actually have different data plans (even though the costs are the same) for the two phones. They send different initialization strings to the phones for Internet access set-up.
I think that's just what happens. I called T-Mo before I pre-ordered a N900 to be absolutely sure what I was getting into. I was told my present Android data plan ($25 for unlimited data + 400 messages) would not work with the N900, but that all I had to do was call them back when I get it and they would do a quick re-configuration and all would be good. The change would take effect immediately with no change in the cost or service.

sachin007
2009-09-10, 21:52
Just wanted to let you know that it is up for pre-order for 649 on amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N900-Mobile-Computer-Unlocked/dp/B002OB49SW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1252619444&sr=1-3

No blue tooth headset but no taxes!

christexaport
2009-09-10, 23:21
It also says "Coming Soon! ETA: October 21, 2009"

which is ya boy's birthday! Anyone wanna know what I want as a gift??

christexaport
2009-09-10, 23:50
(Originally Posted by christexaport
"the RX-51 is with AWS only, and only in the US, from the looks of it. You'll have to order from NokiaUSA.com and have shipped to you. Is that what you've tried?")

Said Kenny:
"The Nokia N900 is being released in various areas of the world ("in selected markets" ) with one model only (as apples to the GSM radio frequencies.) Those frequencies are stated in the specs, and are also stated in this and several other threads here at talk.maemo.
I'm curious. Do you ever read any of the replies here? It strikes me that for a tech journalist / blogger, there often seems to be a high level of incorrect information in your posts."

I don't think you understood my post, Kenny. It was in response to to R-R, who was having issues ordering from Canada. I was trying to explain that the only N900 model officially announced has been the TMobileUSA model with AWS 3G frequencies. (There have been no models with alternate 3G frequencies announced as of today.) It is only available officially from NokiaUSA.com. All other retailers are speculating orders based on expected wholesale costs, save a few Nokia partners privy to the financials.

R-R had been trying to order from Canada to be shipped to him there, assumably from the Canadian Nokia site, which doesn't have the N900 listed yet, I don't think. I was merely letting him know that ordering from the US site would yeild better results.

You say the N900 will be released in various markets. This is what I assume as well, but for right now, it has only been announced and listed for presale direct from Nokia in the US. Other retailers from America to Asia are taking preorders, but haven't ordered their shipments, can't tell you how many they will have in stock the first week of it hitting the streets, and are participating in what I call credit card lock in. Make the charge and hold the consumer hostage, hopefully for not long, and get a sale.

I don't believe the N900 will be released as one model. With the small audience for the AWS 3G frequencies of about 40 million, it only reaches a small portion of the US market and little else. I'm well aware of the specs, my friend, and not from reading another blogs review, but the Nokia supplied information.

Theoretically, certain Euro and Asian markets can access the 900/2100 frequencies, but without the 850/1900 frequencies, it will be very hard to appeal to many carriers' subscribers. It is almost certain that a 850/1900/2100 model will surface for the non-US markets. No one has confirmed this, but neither has anyone confirmed your single model for all speculation, either.

All that being said, I pride myself in being accurate, and have no problem retracting any incorrect information I may have distributed to anyone. I don't like being called out on the carpet, but if you notice me making an error, by all means email me, or offer links to the correct information. I'm interested in knowing what posts of incorrect information you believe you've seen.

I'm a Symbian guy, and new to Maemo, so I'm mostly learning and observing. I may inject a comment or two from the Symbian point of view, my forte, but I'm no Maemo expert, just an information gatherer. You'll find I'm a voracious reader, and I read most of the posts on this and a few other forums word for word, even when I don't understand fully. Its what I do. So I'm only human, and it isn't at all impossible that I've gathered the wrong info from time to time. Happens to all of us.

Bratag
2009-09-11, 00:46
I think that's just what happens. I called T-Mo before I pre-ordered a N900 to be absolutely sure what I was getting into. I was told my present Android data plan ($25 for unlimited data + 400 messages) would not work with the N900, but that all I had to do was call them back when I get it and they would do a quick re-configuration and all would be good. The change would take effect immediately with no change in the cost or service.

Thing is I had a winmo phone before I got my g1 same exact sim. I switched it into the g1 without telling them it was a g1 and it worked fine. if they do something at their end then its just some BS to get the extra dollars.

Crashdamage
2009-09-11, 01:00
Thing is I had a winmo phone before I got my g1 same exact sim. I switched it into the g1 without telling them it was a g1 and it worked fine. if they do something at their end then its just some BS to get the extra dollars.
Hmmm...who knows what the real deal is then. That's what T-Mo said. Guess we'll find out the truth when the N900's start getting used.

Whatever really goes on - or not - it's not a money thing as far as my account goes. They were perfectly willing to let me keep the same deal.

Laughing Man
2009-09-11, 01:40
Maybe it was more like they have a several server for voicemail and what not? Like how the iPhone has visual voicemail, and if you switched the SIM card they'll switch you to a normal voicemail system or something.. who knows.

kenny
2009-09-11, 04:05
Christexaport,
Wow, thanks for the nice reply.
I apologize.....I had no idea who I was talking to. For some reason I hadn't ever noticed your website link down in your post signature. Of course I know your site. I've subscribed to your RSS feed before.
I don't know if I have time to respond correctly (obviously, tech blog is NOT what I do) but I'll get started.
Naturally, there's been a lot of guessing going on around here lately as we all anticipate this device. Knowledgeable guys are trying to glean as much info as they can from Nokia's announcements and leaks. New guys are stumbling onto this site with confused and mis-guided questions. I'm just trying to separate the FACTS from the FUD. With this in mind, I happened to notice a couple of your posts that seemed a little different when relating to the facts as I understand them. I may very well be misreading and/or misinterpreting what you've said. Please clear me up as I address your post;
"(Originally Posted by christexaport
"the RX-51 is with AWS only, and only in the US, from the looks of it. You'll have to order from NokiaUSA.com and have shipped to you. Is that what you've tried?")"
I didn't understand the part about AWS only, and only in the US. because the device has other 3G bands beside the AWS 1700MHz band. But I see now that you were trying to relate to the Canadian and were giving pre-release ordering info only.
"I was trying to explain that the only N900 model officially announced has been the TMobileUSA model with AWS 3G frequencies."
There is no TMobileUSA model. There is only one model worldwide. AFAIK, it has not been branded by any carrier and from what Nokia is now saying, it doesn't look look there will be any branding in the near future either....or at least no locking down or insertion / removal of items by the carrier.
The only difference in world regional models is the keyboard language.
"This is what I assume as well, but for right now, it has only been announced and listed for presale direct from Nokia in the US."
Many people on this forum are reporting that they have pre-ordered, from Nokia, in their respective parts of the world.
"I don't believe the N900 will be released as one model. With the small audience for the AWS 3G frequencies of about 40 million, it only reaches a small portion of the US market and little else."
I don't get this part at all.
The N900's 3G radio uses the 900, 1700 and 2100 MHz bands.
According to this Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks :
1700mhz is only used by T-Mobile in the U.S. at the present time. Is that the 40 million you mentioned?
900 & 2100mhz are used in Australia.
2100mhz is used in Africa, Asia, Western & Eastern Europe.
"Theoretically, certain Euro and Asian markets can access the 900/2100 frequencies,...."
Are you referring to UMTS Band I as opposed to Band IV for the 2100mhz ?
"It is almost certain that a 850/1900/2100 model will surface for the non-US markets. "
The only non-US market who use those 3G frequencies is South America.
"No one has confirmed this, but neither has anyone confirmed your single model for all speculation, either."

What is a single model for all speculation?
The Nokia specifications confirm one model with one set of frequencies.
On one of those video interviews from Nokia World, when questioned about the possibility of other 3G frequencies being included in future versions, the Maemo VP ( I believe it was him) said that they have released THIS model with THESE frequencies and they don't have any other plans.
"I'm interested in knowing what posts of incorrect information you believe you've seen. "
There would be a couple that I've already replied to;

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=320592#post320592
Posts #44 & 45.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=321894#post321894
Post #39.
Thanks again for replying.

vkv.raju
2009-09-11, 06:28
Don't know if its already posted here but N900 is now available at Amazon for pre-order at $649 (sold by Nokia).

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N900-Mobile-Computer-Unlocked/dp/B002OB49SW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1252647108&sr=1-4

phreighnq
2009-09-11, 06:35
Don't know if its already posted here but N900 is now available at Amazon for pre-order at $649 (sold by Nokia).

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N900-Mobile-Computer-Unlocked/dp/B002OB49SW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1252647108&sr=1-4

It looks like they measured the box instead of the actual product.

Product Dimensions: 7.3 x 7.7 x 2.1 inches

vvaz
2009-09-11, 07:31
It looks like they measured the box instead of the actual product.

That is normal for Amazon - important info for shipping.

Bratag
2009-09-11, 15:54
Question - why have the European sites got an ETA for shipping listed - and the US doesnt.

I hope it doesnt mean the Euro orders all get filled before ours.

sachin007
2009-09-11, 17:01
Guys i need some help with a decision.

I will definitely buy the n900 the moment it comes out. Now here is my scenario:

1. I am currently on at&t without a contract.
2. I am ready to switch to t-mobile. Now my dilemma is wether to take a contract or just take a regular voice + data plan without a contract.

Consider the first scenario: Contract for 24 months.

I can go to amazon and buy a htc touch pro 2 for 150$ and sign a 2 year contract. I have 150$ worth of gift cards for amazon. Then i can sell the touch pro 2 for about 425-450 on ebay and use that money to buy the n900 with the remainder coming from selling of both the n95-8gb and n810. In such a case the plan would be 40$ for the voice and 25$ for unlimited internet.

2. I could not sign a contract and just buy the n900 with my gift card + n810+ n95-8gb+ any additional money if needed. I can call t-mobile and tell them that i have one of thier other phones for which the internet data price is 20$/month + regular 40$ voice plan. What this gives me is 5$/month cheaper plan and the ability to not sign a contract. The only problem is that i do not know if i can call them and take that plan

This is the plan i am talking about:

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/services/information.aspx?PAsset=InternetEmail&tp=Svc_Tab_OtherPhones&WT.mc_n=InternetandEmailOtherPhones_categorytile4&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd

SO guys tell me what would be the best way?

Thanks

quipper8
2009-09-11, 17:18
Well sachinn, seeing as they have already said 5th gen maemo device will be out in 2010, I'd hate to be you stuck inn a two year contract if that device is on a nother carrier or whatever. In any case your equation is missing very important imformation, namely that t-mobile early termination fee is $200, but I think they prorate it down to $100 after a while, but not sure.

I think in general the contracts are a horrible idea and just stay away from them.

Bratag
2009-09-11, 17:40
Well sachinn, seeing as they have already said 5th gen maemo device will be out in 2010, I'd hate to be you stuck inn a two year contract if that device is on a nother carrier or whatever. In any case your equation is missing very important imformation, namely that t-mobile early termination fee is $200, but I think they prorate it down to $100 after a while, but not sure.

I think in general the contracts are a horrible idea and just stay away from them.

Didnt TMob just get rid of the early term fee? Thought I read something recently about them upping roaming charges - but doing away with that.

jandmdickerson
2009-09-11, 17:41
Guys i need some help with a decision.

I will definitely buy the n900 the moment it comes out. Now here is my scenario:

1. I am currently on at&t without a contract.
2. I am ready to switch to t-mobile. Now my dilemma is wether to take a contract or just take a regular voice + data plan without a contract.

Consider the first scenario: Contract for 24 months.

I can go to amazon and buy a htc touch pro 2 for 150$ and sign a 2 year contract. I have 150$ worth of gift cards for amazon. Then i can sell the touch pro 2 for about 425-450 on ebay and use that money to buy the n900 with the remainder coming from selling of both the n95-8gb and n810. In such a case the plan would be 40$ for the voice and 25$ for unlimited internet.

2. I could not sign a contract and just buy the n900 with my gift card + n810+ n95-8gb+ any additional money if needed. I can call t-mobile and tell them that i have one of thier other phones for which the internet data price is 20$/month + regular 40$ voice plan. What this gives me is 5$/month cheaper plan and the ability to not sign a contract. The only problem is that i do not know if i can call them and take that plan

This is the plan i am talking about:

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/services/information.aspx?PAsset=InternetEmail&tp=Svc_Tab_OtherPhones&WT.mc_n=InternetandEmailOtherPhones_categorytile4&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd

SO guys tell me what would be the best way?

Thanks

I am going with option 2, and going to bring in a not so smart phone when I sign up then pop in the sim in my n900 when I get home.:D

texaslabrat
2009-09-11, 19:13
I am going with option 2, and going to bring in a not so smart phone when I sign up then pop in the sim in my n900 when I get home.:D

I went with option 2 as well. I didn't even bring in a phone..I just told them I had a regular phone (exact words...they didn't press for a model name) and they sent me home with a sim card. They had to do some manual billing gymnastics to get the system to accept a no-contract account (I guess it doesn't come up very often), but they got it figured out and sent me on my way. Currently using the sim in my N95 until my N900 arrives.

sachin007
2009-09-11, 19:37
I went with option 2 as well. I didn't even bring in a phone..I just told them I had a regular phone (exact words...they didn't press for a model name) and they sent me home with a sim card. They had to do some manual billing gymnastics to get the system to accept a no-contract account (I guess it doesn't come up very often), but they got it figured out and sent me on my way. Currently using the sim in my N95 until my N900 arrives.

So do you guys have an data add on? How much do you pay per month for the data plan and are there any restrictions for data usage?

texaslabrat
2009-09-11, 21:20
So do you guys have an data add on? How much do you pay per month for the data plan and are there any restrictions for data usage?

I'm paying $20 for unlimited data and messenging per line as an add-on to the family plan. No restrictions on data usage that I'm aware of (since it's not a "smart phone" plan), though I've read that if you go over 10GB for a month they'll throttle you down for the remainder of the month.

dantonic
2009-09-11, 21:36
I'm paying $20 for unlimited data and messenging per line as an add-on to the family plan. No restrictions on data usage that I'm aware of (since it's not a "smart phone" plan), though I've read that if you go over 10GB for a month they'll throttle you down for the remainder of the month.

yup that's the data plan I have, I tether to my N800 and use it with Xchat always on, download podcasts daily, browse the internet daily, sporadically watch Utube videos, my usage is normally around 1-2GB/mo at most!

I find that even a "10GB"/mo limit for me is pretty much unlimited...

not sure how much data constatnly using SIPs would use though... might be something I'd like to do with the N900

*EDIT* I lied my usage last month was even less: "748/unlimited"
that's 748 megabytes :P

Laughing Man
2009-09-11, 23:32
I don't think SIP would add that much, not unless you consistenly had hour long conversations with people.

kenny
2009-09-12, 00:55
"There is only one model worldwide. AFAIK, it has not been branded by any carrier and from what Nokia is now saying, it doesn't look look there will be any branding in the near future either....or at least no locking down or insertion / removal of items by the carrier." kenny
EDIT: Carrier Possibilities Unknown;
Please allow me to update that carrier status because now, TODAY, a Nokia exec did a flip-flop about what another exec had said yesterday about carrier branding, meddling, and future co-operation!!!
The link is on the home page.
Is this Nokia's cat & mouse with the cell phone companies? It's a gutsy stance, but I'm really glad that Nokia has the power to demand the best arrangement possible for any kind of carrier involvement....no matter what the cost!

Gaiden
2009-09-12, 10:37
Hi all, Sorry about my English, I'm Spanish.
I can get a free n900 USA, but I don't know if it come in all Maemo factory languages, that is, if the phone let me put it in Spanish.
Or if I can somehow install the Spanish version of the software on the phone.
Anyone help me?
Thanks a lot!

dantonic
2009-09-12, 10:52
Hi all, Sorry about my English, I'm Spanish.
I can get a free n900 USA, but I don't know if it come in all Maemo factory languages, that is, if the phone let me put it in Spanish.
Or if I can somehow install the Spanish version of the software on the phone.
Anyone help me?
Thanks a lot!

What do you mean a free n900?

Gaiden
2009-09-12, 11:02
I mean a factory sealed n900 at nokia store. Not via a company like ATT etc..
A friend of mine is going to NY in november...the phone is more cheaper in USA that in europe, and I want he buy a unit for me for Spain use..

luca
2009-09-12, 11:43
I mean a factory sealed n900 at nokia store. Not via a company like ATT etc..

So it's free as in "libre", not free as in "gratis". You mean unlocked.

A friend of mine is going to NY in november...the phone is more cheaper in USA that in europe, and I want he buy a unit for me for Spain use..
The device will most probably work, but beware that it won't be repaired by nokia in Spain under warranty, so you'll either have to send it back to the usa or pay for any repair.

jandmdickerson
2009-09-14, 04:25
Has anyone heard about their pre-order?

I hope their not delayed http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=326526&postcount=18

Bratag
2009-09-14, 13:33
Has anyone heard about their pre-order?

I hope their not delayed http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=326526&postcount=18

I hope thats not the case, Delays etc less than one month before the phone ships do not fill me with confidence.

EDIT: Just called Nokia USA and they still have the ship date in October.

ciaomatteo
2009-09-14, 17:49
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/09/14/nokia-n900-available-september-27th/

The Nokia Blog is reporting that it will be available to retailers on September 27th. Nice!

Bratag
2009-09-14, 18:04

The Nokia Blog is reporting that it will be available to retailers on September 27th. Nice!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

*deep breath*

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Awesome

sachin007
2009-09-14, 18:06
Google shopping - price low to high for the n900.

http://www.google.com/products?q=002L929&hl=en&scoring=p

matthewcc
2009-09-14, 18:13
Does that mean all retailers will get them at the same time? I went to MobileCityOnline.com for lower price and no state tax. Or does nokia typically give them to their own store prior to other retailers?

BadMojoUT
2009-09-14, 20:52
Heads up for US customers, the Nokia Blog has received word that retailers will be receiving shipments on September 27.

Should be interesting to see what actually happens since I've seen others mention that the release of the device was pushed backed to November (in the US anyways) .

Rauha
2009-09-14, 21:37
Should be interesting to see what actually happens since I've seen others mention that the release of the device was pushed backed to November (in the US anyways) .
Finland's 3rd largest network (DNA) gave their shipping date for N900 today and it's week 45 (a.k.a first week of November).

Bratag
2009-09-15, 01:46
If it gets pushed back to November I may very well cancel my order. Nothing pisses me off more than a Definite launch date that isnt.

klinglerware
2009-09-16, 21:03
I just got off the phone with a Nokia on-line sales rep (they had adjusted the amount they charged for the order and I wanted to figure out why). She said that the planned ship date for the n900 would be some time mid-October.

Take it for what it's worth, but it sounds a little bit more definitive than the usual Nokia sales spiel concerning pre-orders (i.e., "they don't tell us the ship date on pre-orders until the shipping department is almost ready to ship").

mechmyday
2009-09-17, 19:22
I just got off the phone with a Nokia on-line sales rep (they had adjusted the amount they charged for the order and I wanted to figure out why). She said that the planned ship date for the n900 would be some time mid-October.

Take it for what it's worth, but it sounds a little bit more definitive than the usual Nokia sales spiel concerning pre-orders (i.e., "they don't tell us the ship date on pre-orders until the shipping department is almost ready to ship").

Did you figure out why they adjusted the amount charged? They changed my order and charged me another $100.35 :mad:

klinglerware
2009-09-17, 20:13
Did you figure out why they adjusted the amount charged? They changed my order and charged me another $100.35 :mad:

Yeah, the upcharge amount was something similar for me.

The sales person claimed that this was a temporary charge, and that it would be adjusted again once it ships out. She never did explain the reasons behind it. It seems to me that it would make better sense for them to just make one single and final adjustment to the invoice (i.e., when it ships) instead of charging my card on three separate occasions.

AnimalMind
2009-09-17, 20:27
Yeah, the upcharge amount was something similar for me.

The sales person claimed that this was a temporary charge, and that it would be adjusted again once it ships out. She never did explain the reasons behind it. It seems to me that it would make better sense for them to just make one single and final adjustment to the invoice (i.e., when it ships) instead of charging my card on three separate occasions.

So are they taking that out of the 659+tax for the phone or are they adding that too the charge?

klinglerware
2009-09-17, 21:07
So are they taking that out of the 659+tax for the phone or are they adding that too the charge?

The tax was included in the original charge, so I'm not sure where the additional charges are coming from.

Essentially, it looks like I was originally charged $659+estimated tax. That charge was removed from my account and a new charge appeared with the higher amount.

kopte3
2009-09-17, 21:28
So what's the price with the all taxes in the end?! 659$ or higher?

talmage
2009-09-17, 21:36
The tax was included in the original charge, so I'm not sure where the additional charges are coming from.

Essentially, it looks like I was originally charged $659+estimated tax. That charge was removed from my account and a new charge appeared with the higher amount.
The same thing happened to me. Nokia explained that it's not a charge but a pre-authorization hold, reserving enough of my credit to pay for the phone. Those holds expire in 10 days. Nokia's software doesn't know that the amount already includes sales tax, so it adds that to the new pre-authorization hold. I cancelled my order because of that, so I get the full use of my available credit. Amazon has it for much less, too.

klinglerware
2009-09-17, 21:51
The same thing happened to me. Nokia explained that it's not a charge but a pre-authorization hold, reserving enough of my credit to pay for the phone. Those holds expire in 10 days. Nokia's software doesn't know that the amount already includes sales tax, so it adds that to the new pre-authorization hold. I cancelled my order because of that, so I get the full use of my available credit. Amazon has it for much less, too.

Thanks, that makes sense. The charge appears as "pending" on my account. And, the difference between the final charge and list price is a straight percentage, so it must be either doubled tax or a flat hold amount that they put on all the orders.

AnimalMind
2009-09-18, 00:07
I just pre-ordered mine from Nokia.com.

Question for you Amazon buyers, if there is a defect who do you all deal with, Amazon.com or Nokia?

sachin007
2009-09-18, 00:09
I just pre-ordered mine from Nokia.com.

Question for you Amazon buyers, if there is a defect who do you all deal with, Amazon.com or Nokia?

Nokia as long as you have your bill.

christexaport
2009-09-18, 00:17
I don't know about other places, but when I buy a device, I register it with Nokia online. I don't ever deal with anyone but them. If you register the phone right when you get it, you can send it in with a courtesy 10 day warranty without any receipt, but after that, you'll need a receipt. I registered a device months after buying it when my warranty was gone, and still got the courtesy warranty.

sachin007
2009-09-18, 00:21
Although it is good if you have the receipt but nokia will generally repair any n900 until at least next October because it would not cross the 1 year limit. Of course if it is water damage or physical abuse they will not repair it under warranty.

remister
2009-09-18, 00:21
That's why its good to register your products that you buy, many people overlook this!

christexaport
2009-09-18, 03:43
+1, remister. Registration makes everything easy. They call you by name and seem to give the VIP treatment.

RWFarley
2009-09-18, 04:44
Nokia as long as you have your bill.

I'd HIGHLY suggest registering with Nokia - as a check on the Unit. If it does not register as a US unit (or whatever Your region is) send it back.

I got my 9290 from a "small shop" and it turned out not to be a US unit. Nokia USA only repairs US hardware, you can't (or at least couldn't) send a non-US unit to them for repair.

My last few units (9500, E90) came from Dell and Nokia. No problems with those.

vkv.raju
2009-09-18, 07:10
I'd HIGHLY suggest registering with Nokia - as a check on the Unit. If it does not register as a US unit (or whatever Your region is) send it back.

I got my 9290 from a "small shop" and it turned out not to be a US unit. Nokia USA only repairs US hardware, you can't (or at least couldn't) send a non-US unit to them for repair.

My last few units (9500, E90) came from Dell and Nokia. No problems with those.

But coming back to N900, what I understand is there is only one version/model (the one with the English keyboard) for all the places?

So, would it be possible for me to buy the device in US and register it as an Indian unit? Actually, I am planning to do that but will this method work? Any light on this would be helpful.

Not to forget that N900 is not yet available in India and I am not sure, if the Nokia service centre would be any helpful IF the need arises! Atleast, I would feel safe this way!

vkv.raju
2009-09-18, 07:12
Btw, did anyone try the bing discount thing that microsoft promotes?
If that works:
1. The deal would get still sweeter by another 5-10% :)
2. Microsoft would be promoting maemo aka (a variant of) linux :D

pycage
2009-09-18, 07:52
There will be models available with different keyboards for each region Nokia will be officially selling it. This only affects the hardware keyboard, though.
The software keyboard and system language can be changed to any language that is available in the firmware. There will most likely only be one firmware for all regions and you select your language when first switching it on.

Architengi
2009-09-18, 08:14
Btw, did anyone try the bing discount thing that microsoft promotes?
If that works:
1. The deal would get still sweeter by another 5-10% :)
2. Microsoft would be promoting maemo aka (a variant of) linux :D

Where did you see that?

UCOMM
2009-09-18, 08:17
But coming back to N900, what I understand is there is only one version/model (the one with the English keyboard) for all the places?

So, would it be possible for me to buy the device in US and register it as an Indian unit? Actually, I am planning to do that but will this method work? Any light on this would be helpful.

Not to forget that N900 is not yet available in India and I am not sure, if the Nokia service centre would be any helpful IF the need arises! Atleast, I would feel safe this way!

l doubt nokia.india would even think about servicing it

vkv.raju
2009-09-18, 12:28
Where did you see that?

http://www.bing.com/cashback/

I had earlier used their live cashback with ebay which was around 20-25% :D

dccupp
2009-09-18, 12:51
http://www.bing.com/cashback/

I had earlier used their live cashback with ebay which was around 20-25% :D

Nokia's not listed as a Bing cashback store.