PDA

View Full Version : Peter praising the n900

ColdFusion
2009-09-07, 09:34
I'm a little disappointed from what we've heard from Nokians about the n900 so far. Stuff like "it's only step 4, it's good but yeah well if you like it - that's cool"

Here're some videos (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MForumRu&view=videos&query=maemo) that give the n900 some credit. Best phone money can buy atm! :D

Finally someone from Nokia praising the n900! They should let Peter do all the marketing. ;)

Sorry if someone had posted the videos somewhere, i couldn't find them here.

wazd
2009-09-07, 09:53
Damn, most russians speak english like in hollywood acton movies :D

benny1967
2009-09-07, 10:10
Nice videos :o

Jack6428
2009-09-07, 10:32
interesting videos indeed...the best part are the "ehhmmm" sounds lol :D

ysss
2009-09-07, 11:09
Excellent videos :)

PS: Peter is a Mac user?

ColdFusion
2009-09-07, 17:24
Well he's definitely a n900 user, showed a lot of tips and tricks there :)

daperl
2009-09-07, 18:31
Yes, I agree with all of the above. I understand this product much better now from watching these videos. Peter's message is clear: It's not a phone, it's a best-in-class pocket computer with many communication options and configurations. And hopefully the MMS stuff will get fixed.

The form factor might be wrong, but the n900 obviously has as much potential as a Blackberry killer as it does an iPhone killer. Peter put too much emphasis on the community filling in the gaps. Even though this is a "cool" device, my opinion is that Nokia should have a narrowly focused business application and marketing division that forces corporate IT departments to think twice about using RIM. Harmattan and it's devices could be the real game changers, and they'll have the n900 to thank for that.

allnameswereout
2009-09-07, 18:32
"For example this is with my wife. Oh no that was my wife I'm sorry."

Great videos btw!!

ysss
2009-09-07, 19:01
Blackberry territory is hard to penetrate.. I hope they make Blackberry Connect for Maemo. That way it'll act as a 'backup plan' to the end user, they can still make use of blackberry proprietary systems while preparing to move to an open infrastructure. Just like Bootcamp on every Mac that lets them dual boot to Windows.

Ok, call it a trojan horse.

Texrat
2009-09-07, 19:21
Even though this is a "cool" device, my opinion is that Nokia should have a narrowly focused business application and marketing division that forces corporate IT departments to think twice about using RIM. Harmattan and it's devices could be the real game changers, and they'll have the n900 to thank for that.

You and I both! I continue to be confounded and frustrated by Nokia's apparent resistance to business and industrial applications. 3 years ago I demonstrated how the products are ideal for mobile auditing situations with the N800-- the N900 is even more useful in that and related areas.

daperl
2009-09-07, 19:57
Blackberry territory is hard to penetrate.. I hope they make Blackberry Connect for Maemo. That way it'll act as a 'backup plan' to the end user, they can still make use of blackberry proprietary systems while preparing to move to an open infrastructure. Just like Bootcamp on every Mac that lets them dual boot to Windows.

Ok, call it a trojan horse.

I know Blackberry people that have been using this stuff since it was in pager form. I even have a few of those things lying around somewhere. But anyway, the typical Blackberry people I know generally could care less about technology: It's just another business tool. I've seen them switched to WinCE by different employers; they didn't care. And most, if not all, of these devices are corporate issue.

I believe RIM to be vulnerable. I think Apple does too. Apple's desire for business inroads is obviously now focusing more on the mobile component. And open standards continue to put pressure on proprietary back ends which should leave less and less to do in the server space. If a big player were to seriously set their sites on RIM, some damage could be done. Technology wise, it's just Corporate Information Management. Very unsexy, but not very difficult. A big account here, a big account there... A RIM job if you will.

lardman
2009-09-07, 22:01
Peter put too much emphasis on the community filling in the gaps. Even though this is a "cool" device, my opinion is that Nokia should have a narrowly focused business application and marketing division that forces corporate IT departments to think twice about using RIM. Harmattan and it's devices could be the real game changers, and they'll have the n900 to thank for that.

Perhaps stressing the community on this iteration is a good way to get developers developing cool applications and basically kick-start Maemo as a phone brand, there is still one more step to go, which might be an attack on the business side of things once a larger community and following is built up.

I know we are already pretty cool, and we write some nice apps, but I imagine the idea is to draw in far more devs, and even commercial ones a la iPhone.

texaslabrat
2009-09-07, 22:08
I know we are already pretty cool, and we write some nice apps, but I imagine the idea is to draw in far more devs, and even commercial ones a la iPhone.

That, and re-focus the target audience for the applications written by said devs away from the "geek" crowd and towards "moms of geeks"...again, ala iPhone. Usability and EXTREME ease of configuration (with out-of-the-box working defaults practically mandatory) will be key to gaining wider acceptance.

ysss
2009-09-07, 22:29
I know Blackberry people that have been using this stuff since it was in pager form. I even have a few of those things lying around somewhere. But anyway, the typical Blackberry people I know generally could care less about technology: It's just another business tool. I've seen them switched to WinCE by different employers; they didn't care. And most, if not all, of these devices are corporate issue.

I believe RIM to be vulnerable. I think Apple does too. Apple's desire for business inroads is obviously now focusing more on the mobile component. And open standards continue to put pressure on proprietary back ends which should leave less and less to do in the server space. If a big player were to seriously set their sites on RIM, some damage could be done. Technology wise, it's just Corporate Information Management. Very unsexy, but not very difficult. A big account here, a big account there... A RIM job if you will.

To put it simply, it's going to be similar to trying to unseat microsoft from the enterprise desktops. Obviously their level of penetrations aren't as deep\wide as MS, but the proprietary dependencies they've built among their software\hardware\supporting services and the number of users already dependant on it are sufficiently high enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not going to happen (whether they adopt more open standards or a player bringing open standard product that 'gets' both ends of the markets).. it's just not going to be quick and painless.

bAxon
2009-09-07, 23:16
Forget about BB - I do not care how good the N900 is or is going to be.. the resistance to change is too strong plus in a corporate world you DO NOT want to have an open platform,, you need to control what users have on their phone.. N900 is a consumer device perhaps good fit for small businesses at most..big corporations-nope!

daperl
2009-09-08, 00:00
Forget about BB - I do not care how good the N900 is or is going to be.. the resistance to change is too strong plus in a corporate world you DO NOT want to have an open platform,, you need to control what users have on their phone.. N900 is a consumer device perhaps good fit for small businesses at most..big corporations-nope!

Anything can be locked down [see Archos], and history has shown again and again that your view is myopic and wrong. Otherwise, I would be writing this message from my IBM n810.

bAxon
2009-09-08, 00:31
Anything can be locked down [see Archos], and history has shown again and again that your view is myopic and wrong. Otherwise, I would be writing this message from my IBM n810.

Are you writing it from your personal phone or corporate assigned phone?

Let me just say that I write from US market prospective; maybe in Europe n900 would be a great corporate phone.. it is not going to 'fly' in US as a BB replacement period and that is what I had in mind when I wrote the post above. It would be a waste of resources in my view (myopic view) to try to push n900 as a potential BB replacement or a corporate/ enterprise tool. (i think this is getting off the topic).

I am planning on purchasing n900 as a hobby tool (toy?) to see what I can do with it and have some fun in a process and I think this is Nokia's intention at the moment. n900 is not enterprise ready (at least for US market).. 3-5 yrs from now.. could be a different story..

zerojay
2009-09-08, 00:51
Are you writing it from your personal phone or corporate assigned phone?

Let me just say that I write from US market prospective; maybe in Europe n900 would be a great corporate phone.. it is not going to 'fly' in US as a BB replacement period and that is what I had in mind when I wrote the post above. It would be a waste of resources in my view (myopic view) to try to push n900 as a potential BB replacement or a corporate/ enterprise tool. (i think this is getting off the topic).

I am planning on purchasing n900 as a hobby tool (toy?) to see what I can do with it and have some fun in a process and I think this is Nokia's intention at the moment. n900 is not enterprise ready (at least for US market).. 3-5 yrs from now.. could be a different story..

If it's all the same to you, I'm going to let the corporations decide that.

bAxon
2009-09-08, 01:02
If it's all the same to you, I'm going to let the corporations decide that.

we don't have much choice in a business world, do we?

zerojay
2009-09-08, 01:10
we don't have much choice in a business world, do we?

You don't explain any of the real reasons why you don't think the N900 could be used in business. You just say it being open is bad... well, I can tell you that's wrong. The N900 being as open as it is means endless possible customizations and custom applications.

nwerneck
2009-09-08, 01:23
Here're some videos (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MForumRu&view=videos&query=maemo) that give the n900 some credit. Best phone money can buy atm! :D

Finally someone from Nokia praising the n900! They should let Peter do all the marketing. ;)

Great videos, thanks!

Only you and everybody here should be a little more careful with nomenclature. The N900 is not a phone, it's a “mobile computer” that happens to make calls!... ;)

ARJWright
2009-09-08, 01:25
The N900 is not yet a suitable enough platform for enterprise applications until it can be proven that not only does it play with corporate admin systems well (backup, recovery, custom applications), but also that in making it an option that sufficient resources can be given to it and any other mobile device that such an enterprise would support.

Beyond that, those same enterprises would have to engage some serious revamping of their information policies, mobile user policies, and talk with their insurance providers towards implications of users with said data in such an open means.

I'm as much a fan of using the N900 and any mobile in enterprise as anyone (I do now with my N97), but until you can answer all of those issues, the "replace BBs in enterprise" stuff should not enter this conversation.

NvyUs
2009-09-08, 20:22
new video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvdIwVu7zRo&feature=channel
i dont think the answers he gives on this video will be liked by developers hoping to make money selling there application, i also think this will stop people wanting to make premium games too.
no paid conent coming anytime soon in ovi store and he talks about adding DRM in future but i already know lot of people are against DRM
a device having DRM or not will make no difference what so ever to content being cracked, so i dont see any bennefits of waiting for DRM to be added or even being added at all
nokia music store is going to stasrt rolling out DRM free by end of the year so the music purchasing will be possible if nokia make a music store app

ColdFusion
2009-09-08, 20:32
And an other one, about more Maemo devices:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgZFqu9JuCY

So probably a bigger screen without a keyboard? What do you guys think?

NvyUs
2009-09-08, 20:36
And an other one, about more Maemo devices:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgZFqu9JuCY

So probably a bigger screen without a keyboard? What do you guys think?

I watched that one too and i was thinking exactly the same as you.
but I saw another interview yesterday cant remember which video or where as i watch so many but they said Maemo 5 wont be used for devices with screens above roughly 4 inch's so i would not expect something too big

ColdFusion
2009-09-08, 20:38
new video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvdIwVu7zRo&feature=channel
i dont think the answers he gives on this video will be liked by developers hoping to make money selling there application, i also think this will stop people wanting to make premium games too.
no paid conent coming anytime soon in ovi store and he talks about adding DRM in future but i already know lot of people are against DRM
a device having DRM or not will make no difference what so ever to content being cracked, so i dont see any bennefits of waiting for DRM to be added or even being added at all
nokia music store is going to stasrt rolling out DRM free by end of the year so the music purchasing will be possible if nokia make a music store app

Actually he says that OVI store will work like for any other nokia phone. So if you want to sell your app there you can do that as soon the n900 is launched. You don't have to wait for anything.
He only says that there's no DRM, because it's pointless anyway and can be cracked in an hour by russian hackers. ;)

ColdFusion
2009-09-08, 20:40
I watched that one too and i was thinking exactly the same as you.
but I saw another interview yesterday cant remember which video or where as i watch so many but they said Maemo 5 wont be used for devices with screens above roughly 4 inch's so i would not expect something too big

With bigger I mean 4"-ish. They still have to fit in your pocket. So it'll be like a n800 revised. :D

NvyUs
2009-09-08, 20:47
if u listen from 1minute he says we cant charge people for music, and they cant charge people on ovi for apps b/c no drm it will just get cracked then he says they will open ovi store for free content then in future releases will look at DRM technology

ColdFusion
2009-09-08, 20:53
if u listen from 1minute he says we cant charge people for music, and they cant charge people on ovi for apps b/c no drm it will just get cracked then he says they will open ovi store for free content then in future releases will look at DRM technology

Ah yes, you're right. But he said that so quietly and fast that I didn't catch it. :D

kenny
2009-09-08, 23:50
I'm constantly amazed at Nokia's perception of marketing.

NvyUs
2009-09-09, 02:30
another video about the Stylus, keyboard, virtual keyboard and few other things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrSv2pA95o&feature=sub

ColdFusion
2009-09-09, 03:12
another video about the Stylus, keyboard, virtual keyboard and few other things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrSv2pA95o&feature=sub

Argh... "step 4" again...

chilko
2009-09-09, 06:44
some twitter (http://twitter.com/eldarmurtazin/status/3855887063) tips from eldar. maybe he talks about rumored linux based os of samsung?

Have a short meeting for look on some upcoming models from Korea, impressed. N900 and next generation of Maemo will be in trouble in 2011

sachin007
2009-09-09, 06:59
some twitter (http://twitter.com/eldarmurtazin/status/3855887063) tips from eldar. maybe he talks about rumored linux based os of samsung?

Not really scared. After all nokia has been developing maemo since last 5 years...

Architengi
2009-09-09, 07:08
in one of the videos I found on www.maemotalk.com , Peter mentioned there are other Maemo devices coming... Question is: will they be running Maemo 5 or they will wait for Maemo 6 (withQT) to release the next devices?

Will be Maemo 6 with QT ready in 6 months? Because Symbian^4 with QT will be released next year...

Peter@Maemo Marketing
2009-09-09, 07:27
Maybe, I should ask for a raise and more responsibility @Nokia, but, damn that's not how the world works. But you will see of me in the future...

kenny
2009-09-09, 12:40
Maybe, I should ask for a raise and more responsibility @Nokia, but, damn that's not how the world works. But you will see of me in the future...
As a consumer, I don't understand Nokia's marketing strategy . However, I thought your approach and answers were the best I've seen yet from all of the very informal "interviews" that are being broadcast to the world via YouTube. I guess I should be thankful that Nokia at least allows their Maemo guys to speak somewhat openly.
Also, thank you for plugging in and keeping an eye on us here in the user community.
PS: As a side note, don't any of you blogger/journalists have a small mixer and a couple of mics??

wozik
2009-09-10, 08:16
the main idea is that future Maemo 6 devices seem to be backward compatible with Maemo 5 devices (at least when it comes to games) if you believe Juha-Pekka Sipponen