PDA

View Full Version : Sensitivity of touch screen

Laughing Man
2009-09-08, 20:14
I know that the n900 sports a resistive touch screen but I was wondering how sensitive the touch screen is for anyone who tried it compared to the n800/n810. For example, is it possible to scroll with a finger (not fingernail) easily now? Even with Mauku and Tear on the n800 it's still slightly difficult to use the kinetic scroll with them. I was wondering if the n900's touch screen sported a more sensitive resistive touch screen.

aikon800
2009-09-08, 20:17
The screen is very Sensitive, much better than the older tablets.
Watch the demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr-BF0Gs0_E

Jaffa
2009-09-08, 20:23
Agreed. It's also nowhere near as squishy. In fact, having used the N900 and the (capactive) X6 at Nokia World; I much prefer the resistive screen of the N900.

timsamoff
2009-09-08, 20:27
This resistive screen will make you wonder why you like capacitive so much. It's really that good.

Tim

Laughing Man
2009-09-08, 20:37
Hmm sounds perfect then. I'm really looking forward to trying out this device.

attila77
2009-09-08, 20:54
This resistive screen will make you wonder why you like capacitive so much. It's really that good.

Too much Engadget ? :D

Cadabena
2009-09-08, 21:07
He appears to be using his fingertip rather a lot on that video...

Laughing Man
2009-09-08, 21:19
Yeah, that's how I wasn't sure about the sensitivity of the touchscreen, all the videos I've seen rarely show people (or it's hard to see them) use their thumb or finger on the screen. So I couldn't tell if they were using their fingernail or the finger itself. (finger is a funny word..)

But going by what people have said, the resistive screen isn't as "squishy" as n800 which I find that (along with some of Maemo 4's UI decision) makes it hard to use your finger. But seeing as how the UI for Maemo 5 has been largely improved it's just how sensitive the screen is now. :)

DannStarr
2009-09-09, 00:54
Can anyone give any insight as to how it compares with an iPhone? IMO, the iPhone is how touch screen should be, I want to hear that the n900 can rival it

Bratag
2009-09-09, 01:25
Can anyone give any insight as to how it compares with an iPhone? IMO, the iPhone is how touch screen should be, I want to hear that the n900 can rival it

Probably should buy an Iphone then eh :)

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-09-09, 01:48
I'm really looking forward to testing the N900 touch screen!

Hopefully it has one of those crazy N97 scratch resistant coatings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB1GxqRFKzw).

}:^)~

DannStarr
2009-09-09, 08:52
Probably should buy an Iphone then eh :)

I already have one... Want an n900 ;)

Bratag
2009-09-09, 13:09
I already have one... Want an n900 ;)

Well then unfortunately you may have to compromise on the screen. Everything I have read and seen leads me to believe the screen is amazing and responsive.

Is it as good as an iPhone screen? That may come down to personal choice.

attila77
2009-09-09, 13:26
Engadget outdid themselves today, actually telling they know better than the device manufacturer - if you do don't do capacitive, you suck. They actually think the only reason to use capacitive screens is to lower cost.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/08/htc-claims-tattoos-screen-is-too-small-for-capacitive-to-work-w/

For full-touch mobile use, capacitive touchscreens are the best solution we've got -- and it has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone, it has to do with the incremental improvement in usability brought about by near-100 percent touch registration. That's a big deal, because even a 5 percent loss of registration on an on-screen QWERTY keyboard would represent roughly one letter missed every five words (assuming an average word length in the English language of just over 5 letters). Resistive screens have many, many totally valid applications, but put simply, phones aren't one of them; they've been outmoded by a different technology that's more appropriate for the size and use that the average handset sees. Registration issues aside, fingers are larger than styli, and when a resistive display is registering an unweighted pinpoint coordinate, you end up ironically losing accuracy -- a benefit touted by resistive that's really only realized if you're using a stylus full-time. No one's claiming that capacitive screens are the magic elixir to make human digits achieve superhuman accuracy on a tiny screen, but... you know, step one is making sure the phone knows you pressed something.

Anyhow, HTC's now claiming that the just-announced Tattoo has gone resistive because its 2.8-inch screen is simply too small "to be accurate with" as a capacitive. The company's tweet goes on to say that resistive "ends up registering fewer miss-clicks," which could be argued -- maybe -- were users expected to use styli. Android is not and was never designed as a stylus-driven platform, and unless HTC's driving in that dubious direction, the claim is bunk. More realistically, the resistive display is probably a cost sacrifice the company made to keep sticker shock to a minimum, which is fair enough -- HTC's trying to cover many market segments with Android, as it should -- but we wish they'd been upfront about it.

HangLoose
2009-09-09, 13:38
I used to like engadget and listen to their podcast but it got to a point that reading their articles (when they are nokia related) gives me a pain in the heart... Seriously, makes me angry just by reading so I stopped before a heart attack.

They are such Apple fan boys... When Apple fills a patent, theres an article just showing some drawings and its a HUUUGE deal.

N900 came out... foot note and sarcasm.

I really really reaaaaally hope that N900 outsells iPhone, iPods, MacBooks even apples just for them to shut up.

barry99705
2009-09-09, 14:59
I used to like engadget and listen to their podcast but it got to a point that reading their articles (when they are nokia related) gives me a pain in the heart... Seriously, makes me angry just by reading so I stopped before a heart attack.

They are such Apple fan boys... When Apple fills a patent, theres an article just showing some drawings and its a HUUUGE deal.

N900 came out... foot note and sarcasm.

I really really reaaaaally hope that N900 outsells iPhone, iPods, MacBooks even apples just for them to shut up.

That would require them to you know, actually sell them. Hey, maybe they ought to make some ads for them as well. So far it's been the same as their tablets, all the nerds know about it, and that's about it. How long has Nokia been making internet tablets? I bet you could ask 100 people at a mall, and I'd say 95% of them have never heard of one. Nokia makes pretty cool stuff, they really suck at marketing though. Maybe with the phone it will be different. Hopefully this time when they release an OS update they all don't go on holiday the next freaking day....

mobiledivide
2009-09-09, 15:15
Lol, I read that yesterday and almost spit out my tea. Some Engadget writers are hilarious at how little they really know about tech being that they write for the biggest tech website out there. I do have them on the RSS though because they get some interesting devices through their offices/dorm rooms.

I am definitely in the resistive camp vs capacitive. After owning an iPod touch for the last couple of months, I still completely fail to understand what people are talking about when they say resistive is COMPLETELY inferior. Maybe it's because I have been using touchscreens for 7 years that I appreciate the improvements of resistive tech and like using a stylus sometimes. I can use the iPod touch screen fine but I think the problem with a lot of these bloggers is the ONLY touchscreen device/smartphone they have ever had is an iPhone and they can't train their brains to use anything different. They also seem to think a stylus is a terrible thing but seriously what's the difference between that and a pen and a pad?

Engadget outdid themselves today, actually telling they know better than the device manufacturer - if you do don't do capacitive, you suck. They actually think the only reason to use capacitive screens is to lower cost.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/08/htc-claims-tattoos-screen-is-too-small-for-capacitive-to-work-w/

pelago
2009-09-19, 14:32
I've been kind of neutral on the resistive vs capacitive debate at the moment, having hardly had any experience of capacitive other than a few swipes on a shop demo iPhone. But I do have one question:

If capacitive screens are only usable by fingers, does that mean that I could place a capacitive screen device into a pocket without having to lock the screen, with no worry that on-screen stuff would get activated (as long as I'm careful when I remove it from the pocket)?

If the above is true, to me that would be useful. I find the lock button on the N810 fiddly (although maybe the N900 one is better) and it would be nice to not have to use it.

ysss
2009-09-19, 14:42
@pelago: i think that's true, as long as the pocket isn't damp. But, most people wouldn't want to take the chance of the phone dialing out your boss\lover\bastard by a technical faux pas.. plus the screen would be prone to misclick during the times of you putting the device in\taking it out of the pocket\shuffling it for comfort.

And what about power drain if you don't turn off the screen (both the lcd\oled and the touch screen sensor).

pelago
2009-09-19, 14:50
Thanks. I was assuming that the screen would blank after a couple of minutes, although I realise that wouldn't stop the sensor.

mykenyc
2009-09-19, 15:08
@pelago: i think that's true, as long as the pocket isn't damp. But, most people wouldn't want to take the chance of the phone dialing out your boss\lover\bastard by a technical faux pas.. plus the screen would be prone to misclick during the times of you putting the device in\taking it out of the pocket\shuffling it for comfort.

And what about power drain if you don't turn off the screen (both the lcd\oled and the touch screen sensor).

Yes, but i have the Mytouch and i've dialed crazy amount of people because any contact with skin activates it. I've woke up at times and seen myself call 2 people at night somehow so this just isn't a resistive issue. Also if you think about it if you take your bed sheet, wrap your bed sheet over your finger, and play with a capacitive screen it will still work. What i'm getting at is that the inner layer of your pocket is thin equivalent to a sheet so if your legs is rubbing against the screen you can activate functions on your phone also. Its a hit or miss but still very capable of calling someone believe me.

lcuk
2009-09-19, 15:24
ok

last week with the onedotzero stuff.
there was a LOT of hands on time with the device.
and i am pleased to say its really really responsive.

however a lot of people were still trying to be gentle and not break the screen so at first were doing feather like presses and swipes.
i watched them try it and it didn't always respond so they would just do it again a bit harder - it was like finding the biting point of your car clutch.
once they knew the level they were happy to use finger to navigate around and touch/swipe worked perfectly.

its MUCH better than n810 and its entirely possible now to do scrolling and selection with finger pads :)

pelago
2009-09-19, 20:25
Yes, but i have the Mytouch and i've dialed crazy amount of people because any contact with skin activates it. I've woke up at times and seen myself call 2 people at night somehow so this just isn't a resistive issue. Also if you think about it if you take your bed sheet, wrap your bed sheet over your finger, and play with a capacitive screen it will still work. What i'm getting at is that the inner layer of your pocket is thin equivalent to a sheet so if your legs is rubbing against the screen you can activate functions on your phone also. Its a hit or miss but still very capable of calling someone believe me.
Thanks for that. That reassures me that I'm not missing out in this respect by not having a capacitive screen.

christexaport
2009-09-19, 20:35
I equate capacitive to a paint brush. It activates on contact. Resistive is like a crayon. You have to press, but only lightly, like using a pencil. The amount of touch required is very little, and like he said, once you use it 2 or 3 seconds, and realize it works off of detecting the pressure, not the contact, and you get it.

dansus
2009-09-19, 20:38
The screen is really sensitive but at times it takes a gesture to activate some parts, ie if your on the home screen, you have to start swiping from the middle to the edge to change desktops. But then in the repo, the smallest swipe downwards would start the list kinetically scrolling. (really nice btw)

So i think its built into the firmware that you have to make certain gestures in order to avoid accidental activation.

I like this process on the whole, with the iphone im constantly activating things by mistake with the lightest touch.

equim
2009-09-19, 21:38
What i'm getting at is that the inner layer of your pocket is thin equivalent to a sheet so if your legs is rubbing against the screen you can activate functions on your phone also. Its a hit or miss but still very capable of calling someone believe me.

Surely the proximity sensor would lock the screen when it is in your pocket though? I've never had a touchscreen device like this but from what I've read the iPhone locks the screen when you put it up to your face to take a call - I'd be surprised if it didn't also lock it when you put it in your pocket and I'd be disappointed if the N900 didn't do this too.

At least it has a proximity sensor so it shouldn't take much code to make it do this if it doesn't out of the box.

ysss
2009-09-20, 04:06
Surely the proximity sensor would lock the screen when it is in your pocket though? I've never had a touchscreen device like this but from what I've read the iPhone locks the screen when you put it up to your face to take a call - I'd be surprised if it didn't also lock it when you put it in your pocket and I'd be disappointed if the N900 didn't do this too.

At least it has a proximity sensor so it shouldn't take much code to make it do this if it doesn't out of the box.

the iphone doesn't auto lock the device when you put it into your pocket, you'll have to do it manually. they only have a timer based auto-lock option based on (lack of) user input.

The input from proximity sensor alone is not adequate to determine the device's location (is the proximity sensor covered because it's inside the pocket or covered by the user's palm/fingers due to certain app's handling requirements?).

And there's also the issue of the screen being prone to misclick during the motion to 'holster' or take it out, as mentioned in previous post.

Thesandlord
2009-09-20, 05:13
Look at autolock on the N810. Uses the light sensor to detect if it is in the sleeve. Works almost perfectly, almost never mistakes your hand for the sleeve or something like that.

pycage
2009-09-20, 09:06
IIRC the N900 has a light sensor as well. Porting autolock shouldn't be a big problem if the D-Bus interface didn't change too much.

equim
2009-09-20, 20:46
the iphone doesn't auto lock the device when you put it into your pocket, you'll have to do it manually. they only have a timer based auto-lock option based on (lack of) user input.

But it locks the screen when you put it up to your ear right?

Look at autolock on the N810. Uses the light sensor to detect if it is in the sleeve. Works almost perfectly, almost never mistakes your hand for the sleeve or something like that.

Excellent! I'll be sure to look that up when I get my N900. Thanks.

Cadabena
2009-09-20, 21:17
IIRC the N900 has a light sensor as well. Porting autolock shouldn't be a big problem if the D-Bus interface didn't change too much.

I thought a proximity sensor woked on, well, proximity? I mean, what if you're using it in a dark room? I thought the N900 had light sensor and proximity sensor.