PDA

View Full Version : OS2008 (n810) Applications on Maemo 5 (n900)

maemoq
2009-09-09, 04:04
Will most of the n810 applications work on the n900? In particular I want to use the GPE suite of calendar, contacts, and todo. Will they all work on the n900?

munky261
2009-09-11, 06:58
I think GPE will be pretty much obsolete since we have proper PIM on the N900.

kanishou
2009-09-11, 08:13
Some will run right away, most will be ported trivially. But a proper port and updated UI is always preferable.

pelago
2009-09-11, 14:06
Does the N900/Maemo 5 come with a ToDo app? I've only seen Contacts and Calendar.

timsamoff
2009-09-11, 18:40
Does the N900/Maemo 5 come with a ToDo app? I've only seen Contacts and Calendar.
Yes. It's called "Tasks" and it's accessed through the Calendar app.

Tim

pelago
2009-09-11, 21:25
Yes. It's called "Tasks" and it's accessed through the Calendar app.
Ah cool. Has anyone seen any screenshots or videos of this? In fact, thinking about it, I've seen hardly any videos of the Calendar app at all.

Viqsi
2009-09-13, 02:26
The app I would be most concerned about having running on Fremantle that is currently OS2008 only is the HAVA Mobile Player - I'm not sure how quickly they plan on updating it, and I use it all the time! ;)

Would there be any expected issues with that app in particular? Thanks!

bbogart
2009-10-05, 17:12

Hmm, as far as I can tell you can't sync (using a free-software chain) using the new PIM. Seems only windows users matter here (activeSync). So GPE may be the only way to have a free software PIM chain with a linux desktop?

Or have I missed some hidden message and the new PIM will sync with a linux desktop?

..b

b-man
2009-11-11, 23:09
It would be nice to see Garnet VM in Fremantle ;)

realitygaps
2009-11-11, 23:54
It would be nice to see Garnet VM in Fremantle ;)

Interesting thing is, Garnet VM runs on my n900 :)

Theres the usual error while installing the package (that maemo-select-location doesnt exist) but it adds to the menu and seems to run ok, although ive only done minimal testing.

I think the maemo-select-location thing can be fixed by rebuilding the deb without that command in the postinst.

Im not sure if palm apps will install correctly though, the ones ive tried say they installed but dont appear in garnet....

jcharpak
2009-11-12, 18:03

I think the maemo-select-location thing can be fixed by rebuilding the deb without that command in the postinst.

Qole made a dummy "maemo-select-menu-location" that prevents the errors but doesn't actually have the functionality. Installing that package should prevent the errors occuring when installing packages that haven't been ported correctly.

Funny thing is, the package has also been deployed to diablo's extras, where it's never needed, as that functionality exists out of the box :)

TA-t3
2009-11-13, 09:37
Interesting.
[..]

I think the maemo-select-location thing can be fixed by rebuilding the deb without that command in the postinst. Good idea, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Im not sure if palm apps will install correctly though, the ones ive tried say they installed but dont appear in garnet.... Have you tried the 'running from SD' setup? That would bypass the installation part (except for applications needing additional libraries). There's a thread somewhere describing how. Ah yeah, here it is: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=288060&postcount=9
Works fine on the N800, and the zlauncher part isn't mandatory. Just launch e.g. the date application to get into PalmOS, then select the card where you put some .prc files.