PDA

View Full Version : WPA works but WPA2 doesn't.

Paulo
2006-09-25, 05:31
Hello everybody, I'm new here and to the 770.

I have tried everything I could think of regarding the settings on both my router (Zyxel 550) and the 770, but could not get WPA2 to work.

The 770 associates to the router but receives a "deauthentication notice", according to the router log.

The only thing I didn't try was to set it to DHCP, but I don't see how this would affect the authentication.

I've tried WPA2 only on the router and on he 770 and simple WPA2 on both. I've tried TKIP and EAS, TKIP, AES. And every permutation of the above settings.

During the tests I also had my laptop right next to it to make sure the wireless settings were working. They all worked for the laptop, only WPA worked for the 770, no WPA2.

My next test will be with another router, probably the WRT54G since others seem to have luck with it. But I'd rather use the Zyxel for aesthetic and marital reasons, so any suggestions on what else to try will be very appreciated.

Thanks

BanditRider
2006-09-25, 13:47
WPA2 seems to work for me.
I use a Linksys WRTSL54GS router with Thibor's excellent 3rd party firmware from www.linksysinfo.org If you're considering a Linksys router, don't go with a new WRT54G (version 5 or 6) Go with the SL like mine (has a USB port for attaching a hard drive, flash drive, printer etc.) or a WRT54GL.
Anyway, My router is set-up with WPA2 Personal with TKIP+AES (as opposed to WPA2 Enterprise)
I have the DHCP server enabled on it and have it set to assign a fixed IP address to the 770 based on the 770's MAC address.
I have the 770 set to Infrastructure; WPA pre-shared key; WPA2-only mode; Auto-retrieve IP address and DNS.

Double check your key, it's easy to make a typo there. It is case sensitive.

Paulo
2006-09-25, 22:39
Thanks BanditRider. I already had a WRT54 and I just tested it and it works.. :rolleyes:

I just don't want to put it on the wall because it will call too much attention to it compared to the Zyxel (white body and antenna against a white wall).

So I really want to solve this problem otherwise I won't be able to keep it at this optimal location I have right now.

It wasn't the key. I tried many times and even "I" was bound to get it right at least once ;)

So it is some compatability issue and if I can't figure out what the problem is, then I might have to paint the WRT white :eek:

rattis
2006-09-26, 02:14
Thanks BanditRider. I already had a WRT54 and I just tested it and it works.. :rolleyes:

I just don't want to put it on the wall because it will call too much attention to it compared to the Zyxel (white body and antenna against a white wall).

So I really want to solve this problem otherwise I won't be able to keep it at this optimal location I have right now.

It wasn't the key. I tried many times and even "I" was bound to get it right at least once ;)

So it is some compatability issue and if I can't figure out what the problem is, then I might have to paint the WRT white :eek:

Might help might not. When I switched my network from WEP to WPA, my 770 wouldn't connect, but the other computer in the house would, not always but most of the time. I ended up taking my router back to factory default and redoing the whole shegbang from scratch, with all the same values.

Paulo
2006-10-01, 18:22
Thanks rattis, I'll give that a try before I give in to the Linksys.

Another test I still have to do is by using a different brand pcmcia card and see if my router is brand finicky. The way I have, both the router and card are Zyxel. My other card, a Netgear, is a PITA and wouldn't be a reliable test, so I'll have to borrow a card for the test.