PDA

View Full Version : Voicemail on the phone?

R-R
2009-09-11, 17:57
Has anyone heard of a software voicemail running directly on the phone?
Recording messages after a configurable amount of ring or situations...

Carriers charginer 5-10$ a month for voicemail are crazy
(same goes for CID but that can't be implemented client side :( )

Thesandlord
2009-09-11, 18:54
Google Voice? The best voicemail I have ever seen, and it is FREE!

Seriously, if you have a smartphone (Android, WinMo, BB, Maemo, WebOS, etc..) there is no excuse to not use Google Voice. Sorry non-jailbroken iPhone people...

christexaport
2009-09-11, 22:54
Symbian had many visual voicemail apps, but my favorite was IVCM (Interactive Voice Call Master). It allowed custom individual voicemail greetings and a custom numerical menu system like a big company's PBX. A sort of "for x press 4" type of deal.

matthewcc
2009-09-11, 22:57
I would be thrilled to see a native GVoice client. that stored messages on the device as well as in the cloud and would just keep in sync.

munky261
2009-09-12, 01:28
I really do hope we get some kind of visual voicemail, outside of google voice I mean. Unless Nokia is really going to piss off the carriers and fully integrate google voice. My issue will be once I get an N900, as I have no cell phone now and only give out my google voice number, is I wont use it as much, since Ill have an actual phone and use sms on the N900 and not GV.

christexaport
2009-09-12, 03:27
I think the visual voicemail app should be simple. Symbian had many. As for Google Voice SMS, I really hope someone makes a plugin for the Conversation app. The voicemail I can have forwarded to my email, which automatically gives the transcript, but local messages would be better.

My wonder is why Nokia hasn't stepped into the VOIP game like Google. Voice will be a draw to google's service.

UCOMM
2009-09-12, 05:26
I think the visual voicemail app should be simple. Symbian had many. As for Google Voice SMS, I really hope someone makes a plugin for the Conversation app. The voicemail I can have forwarded to my email, which automatically gives the transcript, but local messages would be better.

My wonder is why Nokia hasn't stepped into the VOIP game like Google. Voice will be a draw to google's service.

google voice also sends the sms to email as well, and you can respond back via email

Fargus
2009-12-04, 12:40
Google Voice? The best voicemail I have ever seen, and it is FREE!

Seriously, if you have a smartphone (Android, WinMo, BB, Maemo, WebOS, etc..) there is no excuse to not use Google Voice. Sorry non-jailbroken iPhone people...

Problem with that thought is that I believe it's still only available in the USA and most of the N900 owners are not resident there!

sdpkom
2010-09-12, 02:57
Problem with that thought is that I believe it's still only available in the USA and most of the N900 owners are not resident there!

There is a workaround.
You only need to confirm a US number.
As soon as that is confirmed, you can SIP in through Gizmo5.

You need to have a US friend answer the phone for you when register.

(and use a US proxy when you register).