PDA

View Full Version : Alarm clock when phone off

Deedend
2009-09-13, 22:37
Hello, because I use my phone as an alarm clock (more than the other things) I wanna know if is like the other Nokia phone... to be more precise if, with the telephone turned off, it turn automatically on when the alarm clock rings

Saturn
2009-09-13, 23:34
Hi, I wouldn't worry about that, this functionality has been in all previous internet tablets too.

Laughing Man
2009-09-14, 00:14
I think it's more a functionality of arm processors? o.O

Deedend
2009-09-14, 07:57

But for example, my HTC G1 does not turn on for alarm when it's turned off... Thank you for the information!

sljonson
2009-09-14, 17:11

It is a function of the mail processor. The celluar radio(s) are totally separate parts. They can be powered on/off independently of the processor. And all they do basically is handle talking to the cellular network(s).

The Internet Tables and now the N900 aren't really designed to be powered off normally. They run all of the time, but they do have the several power saving modes. Those power saving modes go all the into the ARM processor. The ARMs have the ability to power virtually all of the core in max power saving mode. The only only things running are the wakeup circuity (i.e. power button) and a real time clock which can be programming to wake up the processor at a set time. (Although I don't know if the NITs and N900 go that far down in power save modes)

Laughing Man
2009-09-14, 17:18
Ah thanks for the explanation. I jus thought it was a functionality of the arm processor that allowed it to wake up from a deep sleep. Cause I do recall a time where the alarm turned on despite powering off the device.

sljonson
2009-09-14, 19:00
Ah thanks for the explanation. I jus thought it was a functionality of the arm processor that allowed it to wake up from a deep sleep. Cause I do recall a time where the alarm turned on despite powering off the device.

Hrm. I find that curious. It's my understanding the "Switch off" state is just that. The device is shutdown and it's powered off. The power saving modes I was talking about are akin to suspending a laptop computer. The ARM family of processors can go further in actuall powering off entire sections of it's core. The device isn't really powered off. The kernel is till loaded in RAM. Applications are still running they are just suspended as most of the hardware is powered down (except for RAM and a few sections of the ARM core).

shadowjk
2009-09-15, 01:35
There's an RTC to keep date and time for when the device is powered on again. It can also turn on the device at a certain date. Atleast on the NITs.

quingu
2009-09-15, 06:29
I am quite sure my 770 can't power up on alarm.

Have never used it as an alarm clock, the interface was too complicated.

Deedend
2009-09-15, 10:01
I am quite sure my 770 can't power up on alarm.

Oh, this isn't a good news for me. :(

quingu
2009-09-15, 10:32
Oh, this isn't a good news for me. :(

nah, it's from 2005... it isn't even an n-series internet tablet.
the 770 was/is way less polished than the n8x0's.

...but a fun toy nonetheless, saved my day more than once. it's a worthy predecessor to the n900 i just ordered :)

Kee
2009-09-15, 10:37
I just had to try this myself (never even thought about alarm going off when device is turned off) and at least with my proto and software, it worked. Nice feature actually....