PDA

View Full Version : Who is the N900 for

matthewcc
2009-09-14, 13:02
I have spent little over 2 weeks on this forum and find huge value from it, tonnes of smart passionate people here who want to see Maemo and Nokia be successfully. The only hangup I have is the worldview.

I have read many posts describing Maemo devices as not meant for the mass market, but rather it is meant for tech junkies. I can see the value proposition of the n900 (or any Maemo device) to a techy. It is a real OS with all its functionality open to you.

My question is can the n900 and future Maemo devices be more than a cool toy (tool) for a techy? Can it be a mass market device with broad appeal. Can it be both?

If the world were perfect what would the community need to meet the needs of both niche users and mass market? I think we need to think openly about what the open source community at large has done as well as what 'closed' competitors have done.

R-R
2009-09-14, 13:22
Well I'm guessing that mass market for such a device can only make sense in the context of business or special use case which you can market to people who can't see value in a portable computer... In that case maybe it's lacking the very specific, hand holding, applications to realize specific tasks in a very easy and obtuse way.

My guess is that device will of course make FOSS users and techies happy but that mobile device power users will be the limit of its reach... Though that all depends on how applications show up and how they integrate with highly fashionable products that have nothing to do with quality, just ads and general consumption trends.

I'm hoping that we can reconcile both and actually have an open and mass marketable device pleasing both techies and grandma but right now, I think we'll have to wait to at least version 6 for the grandma part... :)

kanishou
2009-09-14, 13:23
I'd say Maemo 5 / the N900 is good for every "conscious" internet user. E.g. those who would install an internet browser other than internet explorer because they care to some extend. Previous versions of Maemo just weren't there yet, but Maemo 5 is.

Maemo 6 will be for everybody. At least that's the plan.

I wouldn't make this about open source or closed source, there is nothing that can be done with closed source software that Nokia can't do with Maemo eventually.

matthewcc
2009-09-14, 13:29
I wouldn't make this about open source or closed source, there is nothing that can be done with closed source software that Nokia can't do with Maemo eventually.

This was in reference to the iPhone, which if used in a way that won't help the terrorists is completely gated. The value that is brought by the gate is a controlled user experience. For example, there is not a question whether a given app will work in portrait mode because if your app does not conform to their guidelines users will never have access to it.

Now I guess that Nokia could do this, but it would be counter to what nokia has done in the past as well as current. I would personally hate to see this, I like that I can f*ck up my phone however and whenever i choose.

Bratag
2009-09-14, 13:30
Granted at first look the device seems a "Techie Phone" but when you see how well designed the UI is and the obvious thought that went into phone functionality you soon realize that even a person without tech skills could be quite happy with the phone.

With a decent subsidy like another phone I wont mention gets, I think the n900 could do well amongst the general public.

ysss
2009-09-14, 13:36
From the promo materials i've seen so far, there should be enough to interest and attract most smartphone users out there. Whether the end user experience is smooth and pleasant enough to gain enough good review and continue the adoption pace, that remains to be seen :)

bergie
2009-09-14, 13:43
Granted at first look the device seems a "Techie Phone" but when you see how well designed the UI is and the obvious thought that went into phone functionality you soon realize that even a person without tech skills could be quite happy with the phone.

I think the integrated IM and VoIP capabilities could easily win even less technical users over. "I can have my GMail chats with me in the bus, really?"

Bratag
2009-09-14, 13:57
I think the integrated IM and VoIP capabilities could easily win even less technical users over. "I can have my GMail chats with me in the bus, really?"

Yep thats what I am saying :)

matthewcc
2009-09-14, 14:01
Yep thats what I am saying :)
Im gonna create another post on the top 10 features for each 'class' of user I think this will be helpful for groups talking about marketing...

Do many of the Nokia folks read/watch these blogs?

quipper8
2009-09-14, 14:14
I don't understand the seemingly common desires to have one phone be 'the' phone. Nokia is number one handset maker and produces like 50 something different models every year. They are in a ton of markets that something like the iphone will never reach. I think they can safely make iphone competitors(like n97, n900, n97 mini) AND business/blackberry competitors(e71, e72, e51, e63, etc) AND entertainment competitors(Xpressmusic and new X line) AND cheapie throwaway models(1600 and 2600 model lines).

Why should nokia want to limit itself to just one market segment?

matthewcc
2009-09-14, 14:31
I don't understand the seemingly common desires to have one phone be 'the' phone.

Because why anyone have to carry more than one if you cross market segments.

Personally, I want a good user experience, lots of business apps and productivity apps, a few games, and great media capabilities. Oh, and i need a piece of hardware powerful enough to handle all of that. Should hardware vendor X build a feature phone that meets my needs or should i be able to find a piece of hardware from Vendor X with an good OS that I can then either customize myself, or have it preconfigured to meet my needs?

Honestly, what makes more sense?

attila77
2009-09-14, 14:40
Why should nokia want to limit itself to just one market segment?

Because a lot of people for some reason believe what they do and need is what everybody else does and needs - thus defining the one market segment as themselves :)

kanishou
2009-09-14, 14:57
This was in reference to the iPhone, which if used in a way that won't help the terrorists is completely gated. The value that is brought by the gate is a controlled user experience. For example, there is not a question whether a given app will work in portrait mode because if your app does not conform to their guidelines users will never have access to it.

Now I guess that Nokia could do this, but it would be counter to what nokia has done in the past as well as current. I would personally hate to see this, I like that I can f*ck up my phone however and whenever i choose.

Well it's arguable whether the user actually gains any benefit from it, or whether it simply serves Apple's business interests.

There is no reason why you couldn't offer the same "controlled" environment for officially sanctioned applications, without locking down the device to third party alternatives.

matthewcc
2009-09-14, 15:01
There is no reason why you couldn't offer the same "controlled" environment for officially sanctioned applications, without locking down the device to third party alternatives.

I couldn't agree more! In fact I believe that this is a business opportunity for people today. I would love to see competition in app stores, each could offer a different value proposition!:D

McChicken
2009-09-14, 16:33
I think this is quite a smart subject:
I am one of them who will finally retire my trusty N95 (1st gen). and I definitely belong to a MINORITY user group as I use more or less all functions and services the N95 can offer, VoIP , Skype, Router ( Joikuspot) Bluetooth Headset /sync, 16gb SD, Video rec, Gmail, Chat.....

I have seen Grannies with an N95 (and up) phone most likely only using them to call with. the N900 will be a bit to large in size ( even for me) and to expensive.
the iPhone still have this "bling" attraction making people to buy it even if they just will make calls / sms

N900 = mass market = NO
this is my personal Scandinavian Techie opinion.

matthewcc
2009-09-14, 16:44
I have seen Grannies with an N95 (and up) phone most likely only using them to call with. the N900 will be a bit to large in size ( even for me) and to expensive.

Why not build a granny package,

* Magnifier to help them read,
* GPS Assist Emergency Response,
* Medical History (Personal Health Record)
* Medication Reminder
* Medical Device connectivity via bluetooth
* Large fonts
* Photos to identify people to call or recieve calls from.
* GPS location for wandering persons.
* I'm lost help me get home feature
* Puzzle games for mental acuity

The beauty of this package is that it is all software! - to me it seems like a killer niche play to me all living on the same platform that that keeps the techy happy.

Laughing Man
2009-09-14, 16:49
I think the n900 is for almost everybody. The way the UI and how Nokia is pushing the app store and apps means most people could use it. For advanced users it still offers the Linux openness and the ability for hackery and magic to push the device past "smartphone" definition.

ARJWright
2009-09-14, 16:50
Why not build a granny package,

* Magnifier to help them read,
* GPS Assist Emergency Response,
* Medical History (Personal Health Record)
* Medication Reminder
* Medical Device connectivity via bluetooth
* Large fonts
* Photos to identify people to call or recieve calls from.
* GPS location for wandering persons.
* I'm lost help me get home feature
* Puzzle games for mental acuity

The beauty of this package is that it is all software! - to me it seems like a killer niche play to me all living on the same platform that that keeps the techy happy.

There are already several mobiles that are for sale that do this.

It says a lot for the community here if they cannot say (in a few words) what the definitive value for their halo product is. Nokia isn't at fault if their fans can't even answer.

matthewcc
2009-09-14, 17:12
It says a lot for the community here if they cannot say (in a few words) what the definitive value for their halo product is. Nokia isn't at fault if their fans can't even answer.

Maybe I am naive. The device in its out of the box state will offer a value statement in itself, but the value the end user will derive from the device will be closely linked to what software we use and how they use it.

That is what the 'We've got an app for that' campaign is about. Define your own value proposition (on our platform).

Right?

christexaport
2009-09-14, 17:24
I believe the N900 has a place in each of those markets. The current generation of people in developed countries grew up with browsing the web on desktop browsers, downloaded audio to listen to in media players that supported plug ins, and have utilized multitasking from the moment they used a Windows, Mac, or Linux PC. This target user would instantly recognize the N90 as a major upgrade over the iPhone, N97, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, and any other competitors.

The direction of focus should be on the desktop in your pocket first and foremost. And the supposed competition that claims the same experience should be exposed so users understand what the desktop experience really is, and diffferentiated from a "near desktop" experience in today's high end smartphones. In fact, I don't even like the smartphone moniker, and prefer geniusphone. ;P

On the other side, the emerging and third world markets, this is purely about flexibility, horsepower, and free apps. It should be pointed out that all of the application manager apps are free, and this will finally give homes in this market a full PC for the first time. Many in these markets prefer a high end smartphone to a PC because of its portability, but now they no longer have to choose. This is the REAL desktop web and computing experience in a pocketable format! Add in TV out and a bluetooth keyboard, and the experience is complete.

Our market is the netbook market on the high end and the premium smartphone market on the low end. It easily bests the competition in each space on various selling points, and should be easily moved in a 2-5 million units pace, even more with carrier cooperation and frequency compatibility.

Another factor is price, especially in the US. The iPhone is marketed well, but its biggest selling point is its initial price. At $200, it is priced well below most premium smartphones, and more near a midrange smartphone, obliterating the mass market on price point, while positioned as a premium device. This is akin to anyone able to buy a BMW by trading in your '98 Honda Civic. Its too attractive to pass up.

tissot
2009-09-14, 17:30
Example in here(Finland)it will most probally be mass market seeing the reception it have had and it being even on the main media. It might come something that N95 was(it will if ít had gathered as much preorders from other stores as verkkokauppa.com).

Globally i think N900 will gather rather big part of the high end Samsung and Nokia buyers(plus some who have left Symbian after 5th edition), but it's not a phone that will lure new people from mid end.

If Nokia would really market N900 it could become rather big for Nokia imo, but Maemo 5 and N900 isn't yet the right time to go all out.

Laughing Man
2009-09-14, 17:33
The problem will be largely price in the USA. Especially since you can get an iPhone for 99-300 dollars. While we've yet to hear any subsidized cost in the USA. Most people are accustomed to buying their phone in contract despite it being more expensive.

NvyUs
2009-09-14, 17:33
i think it will be the power users picking this up initially and open source community but whether it go's mass market depends on nokia pushing it and networks subsiding also good coverage from the blogesphere helps which it as been getting without a doubt

quipper8
2009-09-14, 17:46
nokia has already said repeatedly that this deviceand its OS are just a stepping stone to step 5. I am assuming that they will use folks like us here as early adopter/beta testers for about one year and then release a range of devices with maemo 6 that they will likely push a little harder.

qole
2009-09-14, 18:24
I hope nobody thinks that I'm insensitive when I say this, but...

I want the N900 for the same reasons I want my tablets; I can hack them to be whatever I want them to be, and there's a great, supportive community who will help when I have questions.

I will be polite (as always) to non-hackers who just want to know how to change their ringtone (which, on the N900, is just any old MP3 :) ), and I'm glad that Nokia wants to sell more N900s so that they can pay their employees to keep making nice toys, but to me, the core purpose of Maemo is to offer the flexibility of a home computer in a tiny device. That means my N900 won't look or act much like your N900 after a few months of us both owning one...

And if you don't want to hack around with your device, I'm ok with that (even if I don't understand it). But I would encourage you to give it a try...

Stskeeps
2009-09-14, 18:37
Hmm. community marketing: 'The N900 is for me, because X", fill in X?

sk299
2009-09-14, 18:41
If nokia markets this correctly it could be for everyone. its more capable than any other device i have seen and even for the social community (something the n97 was marketed for but failed at). Its gonna come down to how well its pushed by nokia. The form factor may let this down for some ppl but bulky never stopped the i phone suceeding with them.

Suurorca
2009-09-14, 18:48
Well, to me the N900 is the first phone I have ever really wanted. Or more like, it's something I've been wanting for the past five years.

The first thing I'll do once I'll get mine out of the package is to charge the battery, enable R&D mode and see how much applications I currently have on my linux desktop I can get running on the phone. Or I guess I should say "computer", as I define a computer to be something that allows me to create and execute arbitrary code without any external limitations.

...I even considered buying the neo freerunner back when it was released, but that was a bit too lacking in features for me to consider it seriously. Anyway, I expect mine won't look anything like the standard configuration after some 5 hours or so tinkering :)

jalladin
2009-09-14, 18:53
If nokia markets this correctly it could be for everyone. its more capable than any other device i have seen and even for the social community (something the n97 was marketed for but failed at). Its gonna come down to how well its pushed by nokia. The form factor may let this down for some ppl but bulky never stopped the i phone suceeding with them.

i totally agree, but some ppl feel like the qwerty key board is lumbersome... and they feel as though, since the iphone is key board less and "thinner because of that reason that despite its bulky rectangular size/shape its the perfect form factor" for a device of its caliber.

I oto, think that n900 is just about perfect ( minus the screen size ) "because of the qwerty key board" (i gotta have tactile keys), but IMHO if nokia came out with another version ( much like the n800 to the n810 ) of the n900 but with no physical key board ( which would make it slimmer/ thinner) the mass market we all keep talkin about, and how their take will be on this, would LOVE it... all the ppl i work with are dumb suckers for the iphone/touch for a few reasons but one that i keep hearing is they like it because its slim and the full touch screen...:rolleyes:

christexaport
2009-09-14, 22:24
Suurorca,
How do you enable R&D Mode? This is the first time I've heard of this mode? Is it in all versions of Maemo, or just Maemo 2008?

qole
2009-09-14, 22:35
I don't think you really want to enable R&D mode. Just download gainroot or openssh so you can get root access to your device. R&D mode is a bit of an anachronism from the "old days".

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-15, 00:06
Suurorca,
How do you enable R&D Mode? This is the first time I've heard of this mode? Is it in all versions of Maemo, or just Maemo 2008?

As qole said, the question to ask isn't "How?" but "Why?"

You may think you want it enabled, but I can assure you with near-certainty that you don't.

I don't think you really want to enable R&D mode. Just download gainroot or openssh so you can get root access to your device. R&D mode is a bit of an anachronism from the "old days".

rootsh is actually it these days. ;)

matthewcc
2009-09-15, 01:12
If nokia markets this correctly it could be for everyone.

Agree... I would like to see a "its whatever you want" approach to the market where they show an example of how different users will use it.

Laughing Man
2009-09-15, 01:12
i totally agree, but some ppl feel like the qwerty key board is lumbersome... and they feel as though, since the iphone is key board less and "thinner because of that reason that despite its bulky rectangular size/shape its the perfect form factor" for a device of its caliber.

I oto, think that n900 is just about perfect ( minus the screen size ) "because of the qwerty key board" (i gotta have tactile keys), but IMHO if nokia came out with another version ( much like the n800 to the n810 ) of the n900 but with no physical key board ( which would make it slimmer/ thinner) the mass market we all keep talkin about, and how their take will be on this, would LOVE it... all the ppl i work with are dumb suckers for the iphone/touch for a few reasons but one that i keep hearing is they like it because its slim and the full touch screen...:rolleyes:

I think there's still a market for hard keys in phones. But everyone seems to think that everyone wants soft keyboards (which alot of people have accused the smartphones especially Android hardware makers of).

allnameswereout
2009-09-15, 05:40
I want to vote for 3 options: the open-source community, techies, and mobile device "power users". Mass market, not yet. Maybe in later stage though. Reason: platform too young (in the 5.0 sense), software must adapt (to compete with other platforms), price too high (in that sense iPhone or Palm Pre are not for 'mass market' either; we need more Maemo devices for different target groups ;) ).

I think there's still a market for hard keys in phones. But everyone seems to think that everyone wants soft keyboards (which alot of people have accused the smartphones especially Android hardware makers of).No way everyone is thinking that. Heck, there is also still a market for non-touchscreen phones. Each have their place. More important question is: how much market place. Now that is difficult to answer.

Current soft keyboards have advantage of easily remapping. OLED based hardware keyboards have this advantage too, but are too expensive, and the number of keys is still static. I can see these initially being used for hot-keys (like home/email/contacts/agenda), but otherwise... price, for now.

That is one disadvantage of hardware keyboard: localisation. Inflexible to change during usage with change reflecting and lowers reselling value while inflexible to buy from other countries due to hardware keyboard (unless user not care). Now, afaik you could change the hardware keyboard of N810. At least you can with many laptops. But I don't know about N900...?

Why I like hardware keyboard: I like to feel my keyboard, feel the hardware keys. I like the tactic feedback of a hardware keyboard (especially the old IBM keyboards). I like that a hardware keyboard is static, it never overlaps the screen changing the usable resolution of the screen. The screen doesn't become dirty either from typing. The number of mistakes made during typing is considerably smaller than on touchscreen (yes, I do compare with my iPod touch).

Stskeeps
2009-09-15, 06:15
Suurorca,

All versions AFAIK. You can freely download a flasher (Linux, Windows), enable R&D mode using a setting. Been like that forever :) I personally avoid R&D mode and just use 'rootsh' package to get sudo gainroot.

deadmalc
2009-09-15, 07:18
As qole said, the question to ask isn't "How?" but "Why?"

You may think you want it enabled, but I can assure you with near-certainty that you don't.

easyroot is actually it these days. ;)

But don't you get those cool debug (info) messages on boot?
OK so I'm just a geek at heart ;-)

Suurorca
2009-09-15, 07:58
Gotta admit I have only quickly browsed the dev docs, but I'll be missing the debug data soon enough anyway, so I don't really see very much point in first customizing it to my liking and THEN flashing it....

pycage
2009-09-15, 08:19
If you just want to gain root access, then R&D mode is not really what you want. R&D mode has several other side-effects that may not be desirable for regular use. E.g. in R&D mode, just shortly pressing the power button switches the device on immediately.
R&D mode has been available in every NIT, and can be enabled with the Linux flasher utility.

christexaport
2009-09-15, 19:47
I have never used Linux, so the question I should've asked is what is R&D Mode, what is it used for, why would I use it, why does everyone say I don't want to use it (how do you know??), what is "root access" (I sort of understand that one, but wanted an "expert's explanation. sdskeeps gave some insight.), and how do I use it?

christexaport
2009-09-15, 19:54
@ allnameswereout,
I don't want to see the mistake made of saying the device can't be for the mass market. IMO, this device is priced just like the biggest mass market smartphone, coming in at $50 CHEAPER! (I won't name the device since everyone seems to avoid saying it, and we pretend it doesn't exist, which I find nonesense, but who writes the dictionary...)

The US market is driving all of the world's growth trends right now. This market grew up on AOL, Windows 95, and browsing while multitasking. The N900 will be strikingly familiar to MOST Americans once they see the dashboard as the Windows taskbar, clicking outside of windows takes you to the desktop, and apps run concurrently like on Windows.

The PC experience is second nature in the US, which is the only market the N900 will face questions in. The rest of the world pretty much loves Nokia, and will buy it like candy. We have to let people know that the UI is simple, easy to use, and NOT geek centered.

matthewcc
2009-09-15, 20:07
We have to let people know that the UI is simple, easy to use, and NOT geek centered.

I have only seen pictures of the UI and I hope it ends up as being as simple as they show with the multiple home screens / dashboards. I get worried they wont have tools that make it easy to set up. I'm sure it will be super easy once it is set up but if nokia makes it hard they will loose.

I would really like to see Good/Evil add for the n900 where we see how good /simple/elegant it makes the world because of powerful technology and the extent that you can take the n900 because of that same incredible stack.

christexaport
2009-09-15, 20:19
from what i've seen, its too simple. You hit the left upper corner to activate the task switcher. hit it again for the menu. Window headers act as an options button for configuring any settings, and hitting outside a window minimizes that window. How hard is that?

pelago
2009-09-15, 20:38
I have never used Linux, so the question I should've asked is what is R&D Mode, what is it used for, why would I use it, why does everyone say I don't want to use it (how do you know??), what is "root access" (I sort of understand that one, but wanted an "expert's explanation. sdskeeps gave some insight.), and how do I use it?
R&D mode is not a term the general Linux-community would understand - it's just something specific to the earlier tablets and isn't needed any longer. root mode is like administrator mode on Windows or Mac. Most users wouldn't need it.

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-15, 21:22
I have never used Linux, so the question I should've asked is what is R&D Mode,

As pelago says, it's not a general Linux term but a term specific to tablets.

what is it used for,

It switches on some debugging features that are not needed by end-users and can potentially harm the device and the user experience. The wiki article (http://wiki.maemo.org/R&D_mode) on it outlines some of these features, but, in summary:

It satisfies the R&D mode check for the sudo gainroot script, allowing you to get root access without modifying this script (as packages like rootsh (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/rootsh) do).
The power button will turn on the device with only a single press instead of the long-press normally required.
Additional information about the device and the OS version installed will be shown on the boot splash.
The serial console pins inside the battery compartment may be enabled.

why would I use it,

Back in the Bad Old Days people used it to gain root access as there were no simple packages available to work around the script check.

But, you, specifically, wouldn't, as even if you need root there are nice things like rootsh (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/rootsh) to get you root access without all of the potentially dangerous features of R&D mode.

why does everyone say I don't want to use it (how do you know??),

You might as well ask how a mechanic knows that the average person probably doesn't want to take their valve cover off. . . .

what is "root access" (I sort of understand that one, but wanted an "expert's explanation. sdskeeps gave some insight.), and how do I use it?

Again, as pelago says, it's the superuser account that has complete and total access to all areas of the operating system. With root, you can do many things that are not possible with only a regular account (like brick your device).

qole
2009-09-15, 21:35
... it's the superuser account that has complete and total access to all areas of the operating system. With root, you can do many things that are not possible with only a regular account (like brick your device).

It also gives you invulnerability and all the weapons. Including the BFG.

shadowjk
2009-09-16, 00:38
on maemo there are two user accounts. user and root. User has restricted permissions, and you can't, for example, delete or modify system files other than through the application manager.

root is the superuser account, the administrator. Permission checks do not apply to root, so this brings the freedom to do whatever you want. Linux geeks like it because they get access to the deep insides of the system to tinker with.

quipper8
2009-09-16, 00:49
Permission checks do not apply to root
technically permissions do apply to root, root just happens to have most all of them and for those that root doesn't have, that can be changed as well

christexaport
2009-09-16, 04:19
Originally Posted by christexaport
"why does everyone say I don't want to use it (how do you know??),
You might as well ask how a mechanic knows that the average person probably doesn't want to take their valve cover off. . . ."

Who you calling average?? LOL! Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of taking some software development skill classes, and I may use R&D Mode/Rootsh one day, but I'll take your advice and keep it basic for now. Thanks again.

RWFarley
2009-09-16, 15:06
The problem will be largely price in the USA. ... Most people are accustomed to buying their phone in contract despite it being more expensive.

My current TMO cost for my E90 (which I purchased seperately) is no cheaper than the cost they charge for a subsidized/contract phone. I simply have the freedom to leave at any moment. A subsidized phone would be cheaper, since they charge you for the subsidy even if you purchase the phone seperately.

christexaport
2009-09-17, 01:20
But farley, in 24 months, you get the cheapest plan of all, $50 a month unlimited minutes. Add the $25-30 for data, and $75-80 a month for all you can eat is great. You can never get that with the pay as you go month by month plans, AND you get upgrade dollars

Laughing Man
2009-09-17, 01:42
Yeah..the thing is there's no plan that really appeals to me. I want a good data plan (prices are ok) but I want only about 100-200 minutes for voice.

Crashdamage
2009-09-17, 01:56
Yeah..the thing is there's no plan that really appeals to me. I want a good data plan (prices are ok) but I want only about 100-200 minutes for voice.
T-Mo used to offer 300 min for $19.99, but that's gone. $29.99 for 300 min + free weekends still ain't bad. Can't get any kinda phone service very much cheaper.

I have never used Linux...
Oooohhh...a rookie, eh? Fresh meat from the M$ freezer...

christexaport
2009-09-17, 02:13
Cut teeth on M$, but been mostly Symbian for me nearly 3 years now. Don't like desktops anymore. They're so 2005...

tirivaenim
2010-05-01, 19:51
Ok, here's my two cents based on experience: Am not a techy person but love to push boundaries and experiment. I love the fact that my device is capable of doing much more than I get "from the box". However, to be truthful for any noob (myself included) who has only experienced a phone, the 1st questions they will have is about phone functions and features, hence the many questions and frustrations we see on our blogs. So marketing N900, Maemo 5? No, not yet... let Maemo 6 for the ordinary person come out with basic phone features found say on the Symbian platform and then keep in open source for others to "customise" as they will and others to push the envelope! Nokia could sink if they market this phone in it's present state as a lot of people will say it's buggy, it's unstable because they don't appreciate open-source. This concept is new to a lot of us, customising for many of us is: ringtones, wallpapers, caller groups, not applications, functions, OS... and then suddenly you are asked to Flash your own phone?

Now for us in Africa, there's no contracts in some countries, so cost is the immediate factor, I mean honestly a $750 phone compared to food on the table... (no brainer), yet this is an emerging market of young techy hungry, but not tech savy youth, who if they could afford it, would buy it in an instant!:)