PDA

View Full Version : Space Trader

Hedgecore
2006-09-27, 16:43
Space Trader: This game looks like it would be incredible for the 770.

Is it portable? The original version was for Palm but there are forked versions for different OS'.

http://www.cs.unimaas.nl/p.spronck/picoverse/spacetrader/

aleksandyr
2006-09-27, 19:29
I don't even want to think about the number of hours I blew on that game across all my other handheld devices.

I will look in to a port, but it might be awhile...

Hedgecore
2006-09-27, 20:29
I've never played it; someone mentioned it in the thread where I'd asked someone to port Drug Wars. I figured a new thread would be best because a lot of people seemed to stay away from that one based on the topic title :)

daveb70
2006-09-28, 06:13
was Trade Wars, was it not? I played that on a BBS years ago. I agree, it was addictive- you were always wishing you had more turns for the day, and worried that when you left your ship undocked you'd be a victim of one of your fellow BBS "friends".

Now who says we can't pitch in to buy a registered copy of the game server http://www.eisonline.com/products/default.htm and start our own ITT competition? I've yet to run any shell apps on my 770, but I can't imagine it'd be tough to have a worldwide game of tablet users playing it via Putty or Dropbear or whatever. Just a thought... :)

Drug Wars...lol...I looked at it but never signed up. I have no experience, so I'd lose no matter what. I did play Gang Wars for awhile online. Interesting and entertaining but not the most culturally positive gaming experience. The best part was going in without notice and taking on my friends' gangs w/o them realizing it was me. They'd tell me horror stories of "this guy" ripping them off right and left. They had no idea I'd even started playing-I'd previously feigned disinterest. It was excruciatingly difficult to not burst out in laughter as they whined and complained to me, all I could do was look away and say "Oh really?" with a smirk. :p

Anyways, any option to play TW (Space Trader) again would be great. BTW, I d/l the game server to check out- you only get 30 days of trial, with a 3 minute session limit. Pretty tough to really enjoy but it sure brings back memories.

~Dave

Hedgecore
2006-09-28, 14:41
Trade Wars, now that I played! Nothin says loving like a big blue ANSI starship ;) The graffiti on the bathroom wall in the space station was always hilarious.

That's what Space Trader reminded me of.

Y'know. Games like these are all random events, stats, scripted "missions", etc.

Sounds like a good Maemo native project. (I know SQL, can do graphics, and write. In theory I know C, but I haven't touched it in about 3 yrs.)