PDA

View Full Version : N900 & Maemo 5 Questions

zkyevolved
2009-09-18, 16:10
Hey everyone. I'm kind of new to the forum and I'm really loving the concept of the N900 and I've been stuck to this forum for the past 3 days just reading what everyone has to say. For those of you that have used the phone (or know about it), I have a few questions.

1) System Notifications - I'm pretty big on listening to music while I commute or when I'm bored in general (like most people). Do system notifications go through the headphones or do they go through the speaker if you're already listening to music? This was one of my biggest problems with Android. While listening to music, I was never the wiser of an incoming instant message, email or sms. I always had to change it to vibrate (only vibrate) to "feel" the message.

1.1) I really like the "always on" philosophy of the N900, and one of the main appealing features of this device is that I can tie in my instant messaging clients. On my blackberry, when I receive an IM or something like that, I can many times have it "pop up" and take me directly there. From the videos that I've seen, There is something like the notification area at the top of the screen, similar to android, right? To tell you that "you've got a new SMS from ...." or "New Instant message from ...." and you click it and it takes you into the message or something like that. Right?

2) I've posted this question in other places in the Talk section of the forum, but since I'm already asking questions, I thought I might as well include it. Does Maemo 5's default messaging client support Imap Idle Protocol (for push email, such as on Gmail)?

3) I saw on the product sheet for the N900 that updates are done OTA, I imagine that applications can also be installed and downloaded OTA? Is there any type of store? Or does everyone have to go to the MAEMO website to download :)?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

quipper8
2009-09-18, 16:39
I can't say I have used n900 or maemo5 but with n810 and maemo4, the notifications for chat, or missed call came to a specific area on left bottom of screen and blinked and also the led flashed(although you could turn off if you wanted).

BTW, I really liked the multicolor of led in the n810, I wonder if the n900 has something like that.

I am still unclear on whether the n900 will use the nokia messaging client or a client like on previsou maemo caled Modest. I don't think Modest does imap-idle.

My understanding is that the n900 will use the ovi store for apps, but previous maemo were also kind of like debian in that you had certain other repositories of apps that you could add and install apps kind of like you do in synaptic if you have ever used a debian machine

livefreeordie
2009-09-18, 16:44
3 - Package management is handled by APT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool). You can add your own repos. I don't think anyone has seen how Maemo Select (http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/) will be displayed to the user yet.

attila77
2009-09-18, 16:47
3) I saw on the product sheet for the N900 that updates are done OTA, I imagine that applications can also be installed and downloaded OTA? Is there any type of store? Or does everyone have to go to the MAEMO website to download :)?

There is an Application Manager that allows you to install additional applications from a central application repository on the Internet (you will hear people to refer to this as 'extras'). It is not technically a store (almost all applications are free), but has nearly the same functionality. Also, it has been hinted that in time, Ovi will also carry maemo apps.

R-R
2009-09-18, 16:50
BTW, I really liked the multicolor of led in the n810, I wonder if the n900 has something like that.

Yep, small led on the bottom left corner of the front panel if i remember correctly...
not on the corner though.

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-18, 16:55
3 - Package management is handled by APT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool). You can add your own repos. I don't think anyone has seen how Maemo Select (http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/) will be displayed to the user yet.

Well, for the vast majority of people, package management will be handled through the Application Manager. Which is, in effect, our "AppStore" (although it lacks many of its features). It will allow you to install applications from the Nokia repositories and Extras when you take your device out of the box.

Maemo Select will be handled the same way Downloads is handled now. In fact, it's simply a syndication of the Downloads content that's limited to applications Nokia has selected.

zkyevolved
2009-09-18, 17:01
Awesome :) I really appreciate these answers. I am really looking forward to pre-ordering my device. But my reason to returning my Android phones was the same :( I couldn't really listen to music and chat on the bus to school / work.

The N900 with Maemo 5 looks like a very powerful device :)

solkari
2009-09-18, 19:11
On my N800, all sounds, including the screen "click", comes through the headphones. Assuming I haven't set the system volume low and music high, I can hear any notification or warnings from it.

While this isn't the N900, it would seem weird to me for Nokia to change this in Maemo5.

zkyevolved
2009-09-18, 20:51
Awesome :) Took the plunge and reserved :) Pre-orders are HORRIBLE! In their confirmation email I got the "3-4 weeks" (- - Wish me luck ^^

range
2009-09-18, 20:59
I am still unclear on whether the n900 will use the nokia messaging client or a client like on previsou maemo caled Modest. I don't think Modest does imap-idle.

As modest on Diablo supports IMAP-Idle (The tinymail backend does this), I don't see why modest on Fremantle shouldn't support it.

Is it October yet?

lma
2009-09-19, 09:42
As modest on Diablo supports IMAP-Idle (The tinymail backend does this), I don't see why modest on Fremantle shouldn't support it.

Actually the last Diablo update shipped with IDLE disabled, but it does work again in Fremantle.

Aron
2009-09-19, 22:07
I heard a rumor that n900 couldn't receive calls when your on the internet, it seems absurd to me but i couldn't find any source that denied this. Is there someone who has information about this? Can you talk and surf at the same time?

pycage
2009-09-19, 22:10
I heard a rumor that n900 couldn't receive calls when your on the internet, it seems absurd to me but i couldn't find any source that denied this. Is there someone who has information about this? Can you talk and surf at the same time?

Depends on the network. With GSM/EDGE you cannot talk and surf at the same time. With UMTS/HSPA you can.

Aron
2009-09-19, 22:18
That was my theory too, but rumor stated that it wouldn't work even if you used UMTS/HSPA.

sachin007
2009-09-19, 22:24
That was my theory too, but rumor stated that it wouldn't work even if you used UMTS/HSPA.

Well that is why it is a rumour and a wrong one at that!

ragnar
2009-09-19, 22:38
No, it's not true.

zkyevolved
2009-09-19, 22:40
Yeah, it does depend if you're on GPRS/EDGE because that tech doesn't allow 2 simultaneous connections (voice & data). One or the other. While MOST UTMS will allow it. For some reason, Vodafone Spain doesn't (- - ... Really bugs me.Or at least on my Blackberry! Arg

jakecarberry
2009-09-20, 16:22
hey bit of a maemo noob here but have watched alot of the videos on the n900/maemo 5 and have seen that the google talk IM is really well integrated into the contacts. Just wondering is anyone currently working on a way of integrating say msn messenger or perhaps facebook into the contact system, i saw a video with one of the marketing guys saying it was all open in terms of the plugins so this was a possibility. Sorry if this is a repost but does anyone have any idea if this is going to happen? Thanks

Bratag
2009-09-20, 22:45
hey bit of a maemo noob here but have watched alot of the videos on the n900/maemo 5 and have seen that the google talk IM is really well integrated into the contacts. Just wondering is anyone currently working on a way of integrating say msn messenger or perhaps facebook into the contact system, i saw a video with one of the marketing guys saying it was all open in terms of the plugins so this was a possibility. Sorry if this is a repost but does anyone have any idea if this is going to happen? Thanks

I wonder if it would be possible to port GAIM to the maemo platform. Not sure if it can be tied into the existing contacts stuff.

korbé
2009-09-20, 23:46
For more information to create a new full compatibility with a IM protocole (exemple: Yahoo, QQ, MSN etc...), you can see more information in Maemo 5 API Documentation (http://maemo.org/development/sdks/maemo_5_api_documentation/), to RTCOMM APIs sestion.

UCOMM
2009-09-21, 00:05

that doesnt make sense, talking + downloading is the entire point of umts/hspa

zkyevolved
2009-09-21, 09:08
For more information to create a new full compatibility with a IM protocole (exemple: Yahoo, QQ, MSN etc...), you can see more information in Maemo 5 API Documentation (http://maemo.org/development/sdks/maemo_5_api_documentation/), to RTCOMM APIs sestion.

and for those of us that are FULLY clients and have no idea on how to program or anything like that? Lol. I think his question was "will there be other protocols supported?" and I've seen in other threads that, yes, others will be soon.

zerojay
2009-09-21, 10:39
Other plugins for Maemo 5 IM protocols will be coming either at launch time or soon after from Collabora. All major protocols should be usable.

zkyevolved
2009-09-21, 10:43
Other plugins for Maemo 5 IM protocols will be coming either at launch time or soon after from Collabora. All major protocols should be usable.

I've been communicating with a guy that has a N900 prototype and he says that currently it disconnects him every hour from the protocol. well, it "loses connection" which states he's still online but doesn't get any messages nor can he send until he goes to "availability" and "online" again. Do you think this will be fixed? Because having to reconnect every hour? Ouch...

Bratag
2009-09-21, 13:38
I've been communicating with a guy that has a N900 prototype and he says that currently it disconnects him every hour from the protocol. well, it "loses connection" which states he's still online but doesn't get any messages nor can he send until he goes to "availability" and "online" again. Do you think this will be fixed? Because having to reconnect every hour? Ouch...

Prototype being the operative word there I feel. When the android g1 came out to start the disconnect issues with IM made that function basically unusable. Since then a software update has considerably improved that. One hopes it is the same with this.

zkyevolved
2009-09-21, 13:42
Prototype being the operative word there I feel. When the android g1 came out to start the disconnect issues with IM made that function basically unusable. Since then a software update has considerably improved that. One hopes it is the same with this.

Really? I've had both, G1 and Magic, and instant messaging was completely unreliable and horrible. That's the main reason why I got rid of both. They're unreliable. I hope this one is more reliable. :) But hey, I get a 14 day trial with Nokia. The main reason why I'm getting this phone is because of it's slick UI, powerful specs and it's "always on" mantra.

Bratag
2009-09-21, 13:45
Really? I've had both, G1 and Magic, and instant messaging was completely unreliable and horrible. That's the main reason why I got rid of both. They're unreliable. I hope this one is more reliable. :) But hey, I get a 14 day trial with Nokia. The main reason why I'm getting this phone is because of it's slick UI, powerful specs and it's "always on" mantra.

Improved - not perfected :)

It went from being unusable to being usable with a lot of swearing

zkyevolved
2009-09-21, 13:57
Improved - not perfected :)

It went from being unusable to being usable with a lot of swearing

See that saddens me. :(. People say that the N8X0 devices work just fine and are fairly reliable. I'm all about leaving my account 24/7 connected. Can you do that with your N8X0 device now? Or do you still get random drops? :)

theflew
2009-09-21, 14:28
See that saddens me. :(. People say that the N8X0 devices work just fine and are fairly reliable. I'm all about leaving my account 24/7 connected. Can you do that with your N8X0 device now? Or do you still get random drops? :)

The N8XX stay connected all the time. My friends think I'm an IM junkie because I always appear online.

Bratag
2009-09-21, 18:22

Sorry that was with my g1 device. Android OS.

zkyevolved
2009-09-21, 19:14
What threw me over the edge with Android was listening to music & chatting at the same time. I couldn't! The music would go through the head phones and then the notifications would FLY through the speaker. Bothered a lot of people in many public places to constantly hear "bling" haha. I'm so pumped about this phone :D I wan't it to be released yesterday :D

allnameswereout
2009-09-21, 19:38
I wonder if it would be possible to port GAIM to the maemo platform. Not sure if it can be tied into the existing contacts stuff.GAIM is called Pidgin (http://www.pidgin.im) nowadays. The protocols Pidgin supports are implemented in a library called libpurple. On Maemo 4 this library is used by 3rd party Telepathy IM plugin from Collabora supporting all major IM protocols. This was and is unofficial 3rd party community support, and these plugins will probably also be ported to Maemo 5.