PDA

View Full Version : Video: N900 Startup time and Swipe to unlock

JayMontano
2009-09-19, 07:46
Nothing much. Just in case there are people here who wanted to know the startup speed/see the swipe to unlock in action.
Nokia N900 Startup time (on Pre-Production Firmware) (http://mynokiablog.com/2009/09/19/video-nokia-n900-startup-time-on-pre-production-firmware/)

Nokia N900 Swipe to Unlock (http://mynokiablog.com/2009/09/19/video-nokia-n900-swipe-to-unlock/)

quingu
2009-09-19, 08:25
the nokia "hands" animation is even creepier than the old "hands" bootscreen :-(

linuxeventually
2009-09-19, 09:12
That combined with http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2981&stc=1&d=1230766942 (via http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=14310)

is XD

....and instead of the text. the N900 version will be audio!

twaelti
2009-09-19, 09:15
The animation must go. Please spare us the pain!

Jack6428
2009-09-19, 09:43
hm, that isn't much fast...i hope it will be 15seconds faster in the end... the animation is creepy...and if it wasn't there (just a picture), it would load faster too..

and the swiping is fine though

pycage
2009-09-19, 09:53
Somebody needs to look for this animation in the filesystem to disable it. :D
The swipe to unlock is nice, though. In daily use you simply use the unlock button, and when showing the phone off to an iPhone user you can use swipe to unlock. It's nice to have both alternatives. :D

UCOMM
2009-09-19, 10:00
anim looks cool

i'd rather end up using the physical slide lock, rather than the screen

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-19, 10:09
hm, that isn't much fast...i hope it will be 15seconds faster in the end... the animation is creepy...and if it wasn't there (just a picture), it would load faster too..

Nokia doesn't put a lot of effort into boottimes. They spend that effort on battery life instead. Why? Because these are always-on devices. They aren't meant to be turned off every time they go in your pocket. They're meant to be left on all day every day.

If you're waiting through a lot of bootups then you're doing it wrong. :)

kin900
2009-09-19, 10:33
is there anyway to change the boot animation? that would be awesomeness?

lma
2009-09-19, 10:35
Because these are always-on devices. They aren't meant to be turned off every time they go in your pocket. They're meant to be left on all day every day.

Except when you want to change the SIM on the N900. A bit of a bummer for frequent travellers that.

Nelson L. Squeeko
2009-09-19, 10:50
is there anyway to change the boot animation? that would be awesomeness?

I'd like that too. The option to substitute a picture or nothing to increase the boot time, or to insert your own video of the same length for it too load. Being open-source, changing the animation should be just as easy as it is to change the boot images on the Maemo 4 devices.

ysss
2009-09-19, 10:57
@lma: chances are if you go somewhere that you need to swap SIM Cards to, you won't be going there on a daily basis anyway.
And chances are you'd have enough time to do so in the airplane\ship\bus\train\etc too.

I think the slide-to-unlock on N900 is kind of pointless though.. the one on iPhone is located right under your thumb when you hold it in portrait mode. Thus when you want to turn it on, you make the gesture to click (the home button) and flick from left to right right above it... all in a single continuous gesture. I don't think this is the case on the landscape-oriented N900.

PS: 33 seconds boot time is nothing really. As long as the device is stable.

eiffel
2009-09-19, 11:04
PS: 33 seconds is nothing really.
33 seconds is a long time when you're in a hurry. But it's the same as my N810 takes.

ysss
2009-09-19, 11:08
@eiffel: can you give a usecase for it?

Personally, I rarely turn off my devices AT ALL. They can go on for weeks and months without any reboots, unless I have to do some planned maintenances like:

- firmware upgrade
- sim card swap (bb bold & htc g1)

and usually I have plenty of time and opportunity to prepare before having to do such thing.

ps: Moreover, my iphone doesn't need to be turned off to swap its sim card...

JayMontano
2009-09-19, 11:14
I try not to turn my phones off. Offline mode at best.

But being Symbian, I need to restart them either to refresh the RAM (at least twice a day) or to pop the battery out because the damn thing has frozen :S.
Hopefully it won't be the same for Maemo 5 on the N900. I would not mind a longer boot time if it was stable not to require frequent restarts.

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-19, 11:16
33 seconds is a long time when you're in a hurry. But it's the same as my N810 takes.

See my earlier post. You're doing it wrong.

allnameswereout
2009-09-19, 12:45
Well, sometimes a package forces you to reboot. That sucks.

I think the animation is OK. That is just part of a Nokia branded device. My Nokia phone has this too. I almost never see it.

joppu
2009-09-19, 12:51
I hope the startup sound would be customizable, I'd really like to change it to this:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/805039/snd/eva_e_bfc_s.wav

Straight from Red Alert :D

dwould
2009-09-19, 13:09
I'd have to agree that I don't care about boot time too much. I never switch off my n810 or my e71 by choice. acording to 'uptime' it's been 5 days 17 hours since the last time my 810 restarted. I think that was after I installed easy debian.

pataphysician
2009-09-19, 13:21
Except when you want to change the SIM on the N900. A bit of a bummer for frequent travellers that.

I did notice on the Nokia Booklet 3G the sim is hot swappable, requiring no reboot, is there something like that on the n900?

ysss
2009-09-19, 14:30
@pataphysician: i think that sort of thing depends more on the sim card's placement on the device than a technical requirement that the cell portion of the device be shut down. Most of the time they can be shutdown by software anyway to simulate a 'power cycle' if it's required by the sim at all.

Of course I may just be talking out of my backend here, but if you care that much about a 1 minute planned downtime, you can try hooking the device up to external power before you turn off the cell radio (without powering down the device) and swap the sim card.

deadmalc
2009-09-19, 15:15
Also remember powering on the device (at least for me) seems to hammer the battery (unless it's plugged into a charger, which is what I do when I want to power on/off for some reason)

kenny
2009-09-19, 15:44
But being Symbian, I need to restart them either to refresh the RAM (at least twice a day) or to pop the battery out because the damn thing has frozen :S.
Lately, I haven't had to bother with the techniques you mentioned. My N82 has been restarting on it's own.
Maybe it's a new feature....."Auto-Boot".:rolleyes:

UCOMM
2009-09-19, 18:45
I did notice on the Nokia Booklet 3G the sim is hot swappable, requiring no reboot, is there something like that on the n900?

No,since the sim card is buried beneath the battery, the device will have to be off for a minimum of 1 minute and 6 secs.

aSIMULAtor
2009-09-19, 18:51
I think the slide-to-unlock on N900 is kind of pointless though.. the one on iPhone is located right under your thumb when you hold it in portrait mode. Thus when you want to turn it on, you make the gesture to click (the home button) and flick from left to right right above it... all in a single continuous gesture. I don't think this is the case on the landscape-oriented N900.

The swipe to unlock screen on the N900 can be used in landscape or portrait...if the person is using the phone in portrait, then the ball is located right under your thumb :P

slate8
2009-09-19, 19:41
The swipe to unlock screen on the N900 can be used in landscape or portrait...if the person is using the phone in portrait, then the ball is located right under your thumb :P

Awesome sauce. Was hoping that would be the case :D

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-19, 22:31
No,since the sim card is buried beneath the battery, the device will have to be off for a minimum of 1 minute and 6 secs.

Based on the startup times from pre-release firmware, of course. . . .

ysss
2009-09-20, 03:30

Ahhhh good to hear. (where's the on button located btw?)

ps: i wonder where the iphone haters are that used to b*tch about how ridiculous the slide-to-unlock screen was, now that it's coming to maemo :P

Laughing Man
2009-09-20, 03:50
I still think it's annoying. =P But it beats having two press two buttons. Though something like Android's screen lock mechanism was interesting. It wasn't just slide to unlock but there were several dots and you could create a swipe pattern as a password.

UCOMM
2009-09-20, 05:24

ps: i wonder where the iphone haters are that used to b*tch about how ridiculous the slide-to-unlock screen was, now that it's coming to maemo :P

on button is on the right side if you're holding it in portrait mode

slide button is on the bottom in portrait mode i think

daveb70
2009-09-20, 05:57
Though something like Android's screen lock mechanism was interesting. It wasn't just slide to unlock but there were several dots and you could create a swipe pattern as a password.

I remember having a demo/beta program years ago that showed colored/textured spheres onscreen and, IIRC, you created a password or gained access by selecting the correct spheres in the correct order- or something along those lines. It was a bit more complex than what Android offers though. I wish I could remember the name, can't seem to find it on the 'net right now.

I wonder what happened to BDAS? http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/newslink/item/1193216061
That seems well suited for the N900, or why not a facial recognition/biometric image authentication scheme? (Your face is your password.)

I'm not bothered by the startup time. Then again, I've been around to see long boots on numerous systems/devices and I haven't died yet from it. I'm in agreement with GA; leave it on, leave it alone.

Oh, and I think one of those hands should be E.T.'s instead. :p Or perhaps L4D.

ceroberts75
2009-09-20, 06:09
i wonder if the load time changes with the applications installed like the e90?

original start time was really quick until you start loading all your apps on the unit. then it slows it down quite a bit.

ysss
2009-09-20, 06:55
@ceroberts: is it because the e90 uses some sort of DRM mechanism?

aSIMULAtor
2009-09-20, 11:21

The power button is at the top of the device when using it in landscape. When using the device in portrait, then the power button is to the right. For right handed people using the device, I suspect you could simply use your thumb to press on the power button then use your thumb again for swiping up --> down. For lefties (like myself), I suspect that it's possible to use the middle finger, for example, to press on the power key then swipe your thumb up --> down.

mikec
2009-09-20, 11:39
Lately, I haven't had to bother with the techniques you mentioned. My N82 has been restarting on it's own.
Maybe it's a new feature....."Auto-Boot".:rolleyes:

my e71 was doing this all the time until i realised i had a dicky on off switch. i ripped it off the circuit board and all was fixed. soldered in a new one'and its been perfect since.. Shows its not always software.

ysss
2009-09-20, 13:24
The power button is at the top of the device when using it in landscape. When using the device in portrait, then the power button is to the right. For right handed people using the device, I suspect you could simply use your thumb to press on the power button then use your thumb again for swiping up --> down. For lefties (like myself), I suspect that it's possible to use the middle finger, for example, to press on the power key then swipe your thumb up --> down.

Hmm doesn't sound simple\intuitive.. I'll have to wait til I get my unit to find out more about it I guess.

Kozzi
2009-09-20, 13:41
or just slide the dedicated lock/unlock ?

vvaz
2009-09-20, 14:44
1. Don't care about animation and boot times but I *have to be able* to turn off the sound.
2. Hate the idea "swipe to unlock". It is too easy to do it accidentally when phone is in bag/pocket/whatever. 2-button hardware solution of phones (and N800) was much better.

ysss
2009-09-20, 15:08
@vvaz: what phone have you had this happened on? (that it accidentally slid to unlock itself).

I think if you have a chance of having that happened to you, then your screen would have quite a bit of scratches already..

GeneralAntilles
2009-09-20, 15:15
2. Hate the idea "swipe to unlock". It is too easy to do it accidentally when phone is in bag/pocket/whatever. 2-button hardware solution of phones (and N800) was much better.

This sounds wholly improbable. Besides, wont the proximity detector prevent that?

lma
2009-09-20, 16:06
chances are if you go somewhere that you need to swap SIM Cards to, you won't be going there on a daily basis anyway.

Not daily, but it'll still be annoying. My tablets' uptime is usually in the order of magnitude of months, while I crossed borders 4 times in the last month. Sometimes "not a phone" is a feature :-)

vvaz
2009-09-20, 16:23
@vvaz: what phone have you had this happened on? (that it accidentally slid to unlock itself).

That was some kind of Sagem with one key lock.

I think if you have a chance of having that happened to you, then your screen would have quite a bit of scratches already..
For me phone is tool to use, not something to cuddle. I didn't use any pouches or cases for any of my phones, for N800 I got only screen protector.
After ca. 1 year they have some scratches but nothing preventing from use or making it harder.
I really admire sturdiness of my N800. I dropped it numerous times from 1m and higher onto hard surfaces and it works great. If N900 is of lesser build quality that I have to treat it like infant (including childish interface)...

The only problem with N800 dropping was one time when after hard contact with floor in kitchen every element went in other direction: N800 itself, cover, battery and infamous cover magnet so I've had problems with mounting of internal card. Fortunately after few hours I found it.

ysss
2009-09-20, 16:26
@vvaz: I see.

Well what I meant was if there's a chance for pointy item to rub itself against your screen in enough frequency and random direction to unlock the device, then it's gotta be exposed to a LOT of frictions.

I didn't imply that you like to have tender moments with your gadgets whatsoever ;)

vvaz
2009-09-20, 16:44
Exactly ysss!

And if I have to buy additional stuff to prevent that it means no bananas for Nokia.

Truly, this (including overall toughness) and sound while booting is enough to put me off.

ysss
2009-09-20, 16:48
@vvaz: damn dude, just get a bag with an extra compartment or something! unless you use military grade equipment, it's not worth exposing a device which we depend so much on daily basis to such torture :D

aSIMULAtor
2009-09-20, 17:02
Hmm doesn't sound simple\intuitive.. I'll have to wait til I get my unit to find out more about it I guess.

I actually think it's easier to do than the slide to unlock feature on the iPhone...

but what people are forgetting...there is a physical flicker key which you can unlock/lock your device with...i would expect that people wouldn't solely use the swipe to unlock screen all the time :)

epilido
2009-09-20, 17:36
from the original page below the video:

http://mynokiablog.com/2009/09/19/video-nokia-n900-swipe-to-unlock/

"Currently, if the N900 is locked, you have to press the power button first to see this “Swipe to Unlock” option. You can also lock/unlock using the dedicated lock switch."

It would seem that if the n900 was just in your pocket you would have to hit the power button and then get the swipe to unlock just right. I don't see this as likely.

My n800 lives in my right back pocket (when I have on pants) :) I have never had the 2 button combo to unlock the screen accidentally unlock. I would think that the button + swipe should be even harder to accomplish accidentally

Epi

pycage
2009-09-20, 18:48
The idea behind the swiping is that it's very hard to do by accident so I don't think you have to worry about that.

timsamoff
2009-09-20, 19:36
The idea behind the swiping is that it's very hard to do by accident so I don't think you have to worry about that.
And, actually, my son's finger can't really do it -- his fingertip is small and he doesn't know quite how much pressure to apply... It takes him a few tries.

Tim