PDA

View Full Version : Double (Quadruple) your mmc-speed

schmolch
2006-10-01, 10:23
Somebody on the maemo-developers list figured out how to double/quadruple the speed of the mmc-interface.
He offers a downloadable kernel with double speed, for quadruple speed you have to edit the kernel-source yourself since he does not seem to consider this safe with any card.

http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2006-September/005684.html

Tried it with my 1GB extremetech and 2GB Kingston and works fine :-)

richie
2006-10-01, 11:17
Wow, thats cool.

With the initfs boot menu and this, Nokia should offer Fanoush a job!

Tweak
2006-10-02, 03:23
Glad to hear there is room for speed improvements. I'm curious if this would help speed up when using a swap file on the MMC

Rocketman
2006-10-02, 03:27
Could this alter the time necessary to transfer multimedia files to the card? I would watch video on my 770 much more often if it didn't take sooo long to transfer. Does anyone know offhand if the USB port on the 770 USB 1.1 or 2.0?

fanoush
2006-10-02, 07:32
Could this alter the time necessary to transfer multimedia files to the card? I would watch video on my 770 much more often if it didn't take sooo long to transfer. Does anyone know offhand if the USB port on the 770 USB 1.1 or 2.0?
The usb mass storage functionality currently runs only at USB 1.1 speed. Faster MMC speed doesn't help with this. You can try scp via wi-fi (card is in /media/mmc1 on the device). For windows there is easy client called WinSCP. Needs openssh or dropbear installed on the device. Wi-fi has its own limits too (may depend on encryption level) but it should be faster than USB 1.1.

Faster MMC is currently helpful when booting from the card, for the swapfile and for aplications that have lot of data on card.

As for usb 2.0 I don't know. Nokia marketing says it supports USB 2.0 for client mode http://europe.nokia.com/A4145105 but this can be mistake. I hope it is not. Currently USB 2.0 functionality in g_file_storage kernel module is not enabled. Maybe there is a reason.

As for the 4x speedup, this is optional feature and some cards may not support it. I just tried quick hack and hardcoded it and it seems to work with Kingston 2GB card but it needs to be checked properly and enabled only for cards that support it.

flareup
2006-10-02, 10:49
ok I read the maemo entry etc all sounds very cool and some great detective work there man!

if I follow it correctly it sounds kind of straightfoward and another example of the 770 actually being set deliberately to operate below it's actual capabilities.

question is, I fell at the last hurdle - how do I actually, simply, get this up and running?

Milhouse
2006-10-02, 14:50
Fanoush - if I mount an NFS partition in /media/mmc1/nas, do you think I will then access the NFS partition at the speed of 1.3Mb/s (as per normal MMC)?

I tried mounting the NFS partition in the root file system (ie. /nas) but the 770 then complained that I had filled up internal memory (99% used) even though I had very few apps installed - I suspect the writes to "/nas" corrupted an internal capacity reference somewhere.

Later this week I'll try a timed copy to confirm the speed... just hope it doesn't stuff up my rootfs again! :)

schmolch
2006-10-03, 11:26
New kernel with 4x mode:

http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2006-October/005709.html

My 2GB Kingston goes into 4x and my 1GB Extremetech stays at 2x.

fanoush
2006-10-03, 11:40
I was not fast enough again ;-)

direct link http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#mmcplus

fanoush
2006-10-03, 12:33
Fanoush - if I mount an NFS partition in /media/mmc1/nas, do you think I will then access the NFS partition at the speed of 1.3Mb/s (as per normal MMC)?
No, if nfs mount succeeded, card is not accessed at all. It is a bit strange to have mount points on removable media (so you loose them when card is removed) but it should work as long as you don't remove the card.

I tried mounting the NFS partition in the root file system (ie. /nas) but the 770 then complained that I had filled up internal memory (99% used) even though I had very few apps installed - I suspect the writes to "/nas" corrupted an internal capacity reference somewhere.

I suspect you forgot to mount NFS or the mount failed and you simply wrote directly to internal flash instead and filled it up.

Milhouse
2006-10-03, 19:07
I suspect you forgot to mount NFS or the mount failed and you simply wrote directly to internal flash instead and filled it up.

Shouldn't have been possible to do that, as I was trying to rsync files from my NAS share (mounted as /nas) across to MMC, in which case I only ever read data from the /nas mount and never wrote anything to it - yet the rootfs filled up. The odd thing is, that when I looked at Control Panel it said my rootfs was 99% full yet the individual numbers didn't add up to anything like that, suggesting the filesystem or the control panel applet were out of whack.

A reflash fixed it, but I may try again sometime as I tend to agree that mounting NFS on MMC is a bit odd. Mind you, NFS works great, particularly when portmap is installed - portmap reduced the NFS mount time from about a minute to instantaneous...

What are the chances of someone producing a new kernel image with built-in NFS support and 4x 2GB MMC patches ? Pretty please? :D

fanoush
2006-10-03, 19:30
Someone already asked that, in fact all my kernels has crypto code enabled needed for NFS and other stuff (PPTP). NFS is not in kernel but available as modules, check this http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3152&highlight=NFS

Milhouse
2006-10-03, 23:30
Someone already asked that, in fact all my kernels has crypto code enabled needed for NFS and other stuff (PPTP). NFS is not in kernel but available as modules, check this http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3152&highlight=NFS

I'll take a look at that fanoush - the only trouble is your last post where you say: "You must figure out which modules belong to NFS yourself" - I haven't a clue (for the time being!) :)

Maybe this (http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowToNFS_06) Wiki will help when I take a look at installing a new kernel - won't be this weekend though, am off to Hampden for the Scoland vs. France game! :)

Tweak
2006-10-04, 02:14
I second this :D
'bout time to buy that 2gb card I've been contemplating for last few months. :rolleyes:

What are the chances of someone producing a new kernel image with built-in NFS support and 4x 2GB MMC patches ? Pretty please? :D

ascherjim
2006-10-07, 23:56
I am seeking, first, some clarification, then, second, if possible, some guidance, stemming from discussions involving fanoush which have occurred this month (October) over two related threads: “Double (Quadruple) your mmc-speed” and “bootmenu + kernel update?”

In the first cited thread, fanoush on October 2 stated that “Faster MMC is currently helpful when booting from the card.” In the second cited thread, penguinbait indicated on October 3 that he was “booting from my mmc card (partition #2)” and wanted to “update (flash) the kernel update for the 4x mmc speed.” From fanoush’s response(s) to penguinbait, I’m not certain that I understand whether such flashing of the kernel would result in faster operation of the operating system installed on the mmc partition 2. I have installed, following fanoush’s directions, my operating system on my Sandisk 1-gig mmc, and it works fine but is slow in downloading items from the net (e-mail, etc.), and I am desirous of increasing the speed. I’m not certain from the various thread discussions whether this is possible (it would seem to be) and if so, how I would precisely go about it. This request for guidance has been requested elsewhere in this or another thread. I would hope that someone could clarify this for me in language easier for me to comprehend (if that’s possible). Thanks

fanoush
2006-10-08, 06:58
Sandisk 1GB is not MMCmobile card but plain old (and slow) MMC (single row of 7 contacts). With this card communication runs at 16Mhz with my kernel and 12Mhz with original kernel (speedup= x1.3). This could still be slightly faster than internal flash but not much. It can be seen on the progress bar while the system boots. It is computed to fill the screen completely with internal flash. If it does not reach right border while booting from card, boot is faster. With Kingston 2GB (running at 48Mhz) it finishes slightly after 1/2.

ascherjim
2006-10-08, 22:47
Interesting. I now have to decide whether my interest and what I stand to gain are sufficient to justify my purchase of the Kingston 2-gig card. The cost isn't as much a concern as my being able to follow your (excellent) instructions once again to replicate my present booting from the card. Would I first have to follow the instructions elsewhere posted on this forum for getting the Nokia to even recognize the card?

fanoush
2006-11-03, 23:06
I have updated old kernel with high speed patch for newer firmware. This is not based on newer kernel source since it is not available yet. It is just recompiled old kernel which pretends to be the new kernel so wi-fi driver works and device boots fine. Maybe it is better to wait for real kernel. Just tried if this quick hack may work and indeed it seems so.

fanoush
2006-11-13, 21:54
I have updated high-speed MMC kernels to newer source from Nokia (released last Friday). Update is recommended, there are some useful fixes in kernel from latest firmware. The most interesting are:

* Bluetooth: Rework dynamic clocks and follow state machine more carefully
* Bluetooth: fix brf6150 jam

which should hopefully fix hangups with bluetooth keyboards and GPS modules but there are also other goodies.

blackdragonzero
2007-09-19, 11:24
I've been looking all over for instructions on how to execute this kernel. can you please help?

fanoush
2007-09-19, 13:10
search this forum for kernel_flasher, one example
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57358#post57358

johsua
2007-09-19, 13:16
There is a how to in the wiki part of ITT. It's written for a specific kernel, but use the same instructions for whatever file you want to use. And what Fanoush said - search...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_flash_the_SDHC_kernel_w/out_connecting_to_a_computer

blackdragonzero
2007-09-19, 15:25
thank you guys dearly.

gazza_d
2007-09-19, 20:42
does the wiki entry work with flashing a kernel directly to a system booting from mmc? Or do I need to flash the kernel on the internal memory, and then recopy everything over to the MMC?

thanks for any enlightement

gaz

kalatraz
2007-09-19, 21:30
Any chance someone would be willing to do a "how-to" for a complete n00b? Have the n800, have attempted to change to boot from mmc, getting weird error messages, sure that I just don't know what I'm doing. Yes, I have searched.

DJTim
2007-09-20, 16:30
I'm on a 770 and boot from the MMC card. It looks like I can flash direct from the 770, but I am unsure which "patch" to use. A link would be great.
Once I do it I do not mind typing a step-by-step for Kalatraz & future seekers.

bunanson
2007-09-21, 01:50
I'm on a 770 and boot from the MMC card. It looks like I can flash direct from the 770, but I am unsure which "patch" to use. A link would be great.
Once I do it I do not mind typing a step-by-step for Kalatraz & future seekers.

for several post asking both MMC patch and MMC booting, those are the ones believed to be the down to earth straight, post back if questions:

MMC boot:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8631&highlight=cloning

MMC patch:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7342&highlight=mmcplus, scroll down to Weezedog post #8.

bun

DJTim
2007-09-21, 04:39
The patch link worked.
I was already MMC booting.