PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Questions

afpj123
2009-09-24, 07:02
I am sure this has been posted many times but i seem to not be able to find it in the few posts down concerning. The providers... carrier frequencies and what i have found through multiple days of searching and researching about this phone. I am wanting to avoid the Iphone pandemic.

I am noticing that it has the same GSM band and i realize that it does not have the 850 WCDMA band but has the others and i realize that i suppose this does not work, but would like a little explanation about why it does not.

And also what speeds am i looking at as far as downloading, and what plans should i look at getting for this phone. I am a carrier of a At&T tilt and have cracked the screen twice and replaced it and looking for something to replace my gophone from walmart. anyone who could answer these questions would be great!!!!

Scott

UCOMM
2009-09-24, 07:15
it just doesnt have the radio chip for att 3g

you'll get edge speeds 140kbps max probably

im not sure about how att data plans work, sorry, if you really plan on using the connectivity features, always online im, social services, constant emailing, maybe you'll be better off going with tmobile?

afpj123
2009-09-24, 07:19
so otherwise it will work just at edge speeds, i wont have any drop in phone quality or anything right? Are all the towers broadcasting WCDMA and GSM?

UCOMM
2009-09-24, 07:20
so otherwise it will work just at edge speeds, i wont have any drop in phone quality or anything right? Are all the towers broadcasting WCDMA and GSM?

aye, the voice calls themselves will be the same, no difference

JUST the data connection is slower

afpj123
2009-09-24, 07:23
very cool cause unfortunately my wife has an iphone that we just renewed so it would be very difficult to make the switch having to jail break her phone inorder for it to work on tmobile using snow.

Now i just have to wait for it to come out. besides i was reading posts earlier about turning off the Edge or data plan and seeing that it is a capability so that may be my option for now to keep our plan below 130 dollars...lol

afpj123
2009-09-24, 07:24
thank you for your posts and knowledge and reassuring my purchase.

afpj123
2009-09-24, 07:26
all though i do understand the capability of having wifi i work in a place that has wifi and my house has wifi my school has wifi the only place that it is lacking is in my car and in there i need the music so i think i am good everywhere else....haha

UCOMM
2009-09-24, 07:28
all though i do understand the capability of having wifi i work in a place that has wifi and my house has wifi my school has wifi the only place that it is lacking is in my car and in there i need the music so i think i am good everywhere else....haha

load up the microSD with music and transmit it to the car via the built in fm transmitter :D

afpj123
2009-09-24, 07:31
haha no need when i have a direct input 3.5 jack in my honda si lol

afpj123
2009-09-28, 13:26
I was looking at the website and noticed the GSM broadcasting for this phone

GSM 850/900/1800/1900

isnt the 850 mhz range the 3G range for AT&T or am i mis reading this?

I know i felt like this question has been asked before, but i guess i am not sure what range 3G is on for AT&T.

Gorgon
2009-09-28, 13:39
I was looking at the website and noticed the GSM broadcasting for this phone

GSM 850/900/1800/1900

isnt the 850 mhz range the 3G range for AT&T or am i mis reading this?

I know i felt like this question has been asked before, but i guess i am not sure what range 3G is on for AT&T.

GSM is the older technology and supports EDGE for data speeds. The N900 supports 850/900/1800/1900MHz so it will work on any GSM network including AT&T's. GSM does not have the bandwidth to support both voice and data so your data connection will be put on hold when a call comes in.

WCDMA is 3G which the N900 supports 900/1700/2100MHz does not support the necessary 850/1900MHz that AT&T uses for 3G. With 3G you get simultaneous voice and data and faster data rates.

On AT&T you can use the N900 with the $15 Unlimited Data (Media Net) plan. If you have a Family Messaging plan this plan should be available to you for $10.

afpj123
2009-09-28, 14:19
well are the networks in UK using the same GSM technology and using those at 3G? since that is not the case here in US?

Ayle
2009-09-28, 16:09
well are the networks in UK using the same GSM technology and using those at 3G? since that is not the case here in US?

The only network using those frequency for 3G is T-Mobile. Try disabling EDGE on your wife's iPhone for a bit, it's not that terrible. And EDGE is easier on the battery anyway.