PDA

View Full Version : AppSpace: call for info & volunteers

attila77
2009-09-25, 11:52
Hi folks,

I'd need some input and a few volunteers for a project. It's a (mostly) non-destructive way of making more application/library space for your Diablo install, without cloning or changing bootloaders, etc. Originally, it started off as a way to make room for (Py)Qt libs, but it can be used for other stuff just the same.

Step 1) I'd need confirmation of what the partition layout of pristine N800 and N810s look like, especially if you know you have a faulty partition tabled N810. A cat /proc/partitions will do (please don't clip MMC entries).

Step 2) I'd need volunteers who are willing to test/run AppSpace. Now, while the process itself should be non-destructive, I can't guarantee that some dev glitches won't mess up your device, so only folks who know how to make backups and are not afraid to reflash need apply.

As for those wondering how appspace works, it has three modes of operation.

Symlink stuff - simplest, least disruptive, but requires (re)mounting you fat partitions with 'exec' and only select packages can be transferred (i.e. the app author has to know about appspace).
loop device - has no limitations on what can be put on it, but is somewhat slower and requires the space to be reserved upfront
extra partition - without the speed penalty or danger of accidental deletion while connected via USB, very much like what Fremantle does. This one tries to resize partitions, so it's more dangerous than the previous two.

I hear you ask, why is this better than cloning ? Well, it isn't, it has a different focus. Cloning will give you more space and the ability to boot from other devices. If you already cloned, this is of no interest to you (if you install this app, nothing will happen). Appspace on the other hand has the goal of making more space for apps for stock Diablo installs without interfering with the booting process, fiddling with console stuff, basically a user-friendly expansion that will be available from
the application manager.

Known layouts:
Nokia-N810-43-7
major minor #blocks name
31 0 128 mtdblock0
31 0 128 mtdblock0
31 1 384 mtdblock1
31 2 2048 mtdblock2
31 3 4096 mtdblock3
31 4 255488 mtdblock4
254 0 1966080 mmcblk0
254 1 1926744 mmcblk0p1

EDIT:
It's going to use the Fremantle-ish /opt scheme for those who have been following the discussion on the mailing list, so folks will be able to maemo-optify even on Diablo.

Khertan
2009-09-25, 12:46
I suggest you to take a look to the project maemo-optify as if i remember well they plan to make it avaible to diablo too.