PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about the task switch button

solideogloria
2009-09-28, 15:56
hello,

I watched some Youtube vids showing the N900 user interface recently, noticing that the current solution about accessing the app menu/desktop using the upper left button seems to be somewhat cumbersome. I haven't had played with the device (yet), but the current solution seems to be unfavorable.

I have written down some thoughts about it on Maemo Brainstorm (http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/make_it_easier_to_switch_to_the_desktop-app_menu/)

I wonder if its possible to change the functionality by simply replacing some files or if we will need to wait for nokia(?) to do it?

any thoughts are welcome!

Rauha
2009-09-28, 16:12
hello,

I watched some Youtube vids showing the N900 user interface recently, noticing that the current solution about accessing the app menu/desktop using the upper left button seems to be somewhat cumbersome.

For me personally, the current system is simple and elegant, and wouldnt like extra button(s) for going to app menu.

Pushing twice the the upper left button doesn't seem cumbersome and is easy to learn. The prototype I tested at Nokia flagship store also had a shortcut on homescreen that switched directly to app menu.

solideogloria
2009-09-28, 16:15
Tim just pointed out that you need only two clicks to reach the desired place.

I always thought that the only way to go to the desktop is task switcher -> app menu -> Desktop which is not true. I had seen a guy doing so in a video and i thought it would be the only way :)

benny1967
2009-09-28, 17:41
I feel strange discussing this because I've never used a Maemo 5 device, but yes: From looking at the videos, it's a little confusing. I also remember scenes (don't ask me which video) that gave the impression that even the person who was doing the demo (usually a Nokian) got lost and clicked twice when he should have clicked once etc.

The point isn't so much that you need maybe two clicks. The point is that clicking on the upper left corner doesn't always perform the same task. My brain isn't very fast when it comes to evaluating contexts. It works fast when it knows "right switch: kitchen light; left switch: living room". or in windows "start button lower left: select applications". I have to think a little bit longer if what I have to do depends on what I did before. (I also have troubles following Maemo5 screencasts, btw, because of all the stacked windows that don't even show their contexts.)

So I'd love to kow: "upper left: application menu". always. no matter where i am. i'd love a hardware button even better....

anyway, all of this is just theory and has little value until I have experience with a Maemo 5 device... whichever it may be some day.

pycage
2009-09-28, 18:09
You wouldn't need the application menu much since you can place your favorite apps directly on the desktops.

benny1967
2009-09-28, 18:27
You wouldn't need the application menu much since you can place your favorite apps directly on the desktops.

i prefer a clean desktop... if anything, i would put "active" components there, like an RSS widget or contact infos that show the presence information...

even if your preferences are different: you wouldn't put each and every application on the desktop until you have 2 identical application menus, right? ;)

pycage
2009-09-28, 18:31
You're totally right. :)
Maybe put the app menu app on the desktop as the only icon. According to what Rauha reports, this seems to be possible.

benny1967
2009-09-28, 18:53
Actually, what I would hope for is a 3rd party app (to be placed on the desktop, of course ;) ...) that replaces the Maemo 5 application menu (like our current "Personal Menu" does on Maemo 4) and is xdg-conformant... which means sub-menus like "office", "internet", "games"... i'd never return to the main menu then. :D

Kozzi
2009-09-28, 21:45
How about swipe up/down in homescreen (Android) for application menu ? Or is this in use for something else already ?

code177
2009-09-28, 21:56
How about swipe up/down in homescreen (Android) for application menu ? Or is this in use for something else already ?

Swiping up or down to bring up the application menu would great. Even better if swiping up/down again in the application menu would take you back to the desktop.

Surely this wouldn't be too difficult to implement? Just a couple of new handlers to take care of the swiping on each screen?

Laughing Man
2009-09-28, 22:32
Well swiping down in the application menu would be scrolling it wouldn't it? But I do agree swiping up on the desktop could bring you to the application menu or switcher. Though what do you do once your inside an application?

Though it would be useful to have a widget that could go on the bottom left to activate the switcher (well I'm sure it can probably be coded)

SD69
2009-09-28, 22:32
Tim just pointed out that you need only two clicks to reach the desired place.

I always thought that the only way to go to the desktop is task switcher -> app menu -> Desktop which is not true. I had seen a guy doing so in a video and i thought it would be the only way :)What is the two clicks way?

Also, isn't there also the related situation that, to switch between two fullscreen apps, you have to go through the task switch button and have three clicks? One to hit button/overlay on lower right of current fullscreen app, two to click on task switch button, and three to click on desired app. (In Diablo, you could toggle to the next fullscreen app directly using the home key without any intermediate screen).