PDA

View Full Version : [Theme] Fremantle for Diablo

andrewfblack
2009-09-30, 18:55
Someone started talking about how it would be nice to have a Fremantle Style Theme for Diablo. I decided to give it a try and see what I could come up with and here are some of the screenshots. I will be releasing the theme on Friday to extras-devel and give it a few days there before moving it into extras. The theme is about 98% done as of today and only has a few bugs to work out.

Update 1.2: Fixed several issues including menu backgrounds, also started a wide scroll bar version.

Please leave any comments about my theme you wish.

Download Deb: Version 1.2 (http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2240466/FreDiablo.deb) - Version 1.2 Wide Scroll Bars

Screenshots:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/andrewfblack/Fremantle/screenshot19.png

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/andrewfblack/Fremantle/screenshot21.png

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/andrewfblack/Fremantle/screenshot22.png

Wide Bars:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/andrewfblack/Fremantle/screenshot01.png

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/andrewfblack/Fremantle/screenshot02.png

joppu
2009-09-30, 19:00
Are you planning on using osso-icons for the theme? Or are they copyrighted to Nokia or something?

zerojay
2009-09-30, 19:00
Only the SDK has the green style to it. I'd love to see the bluish version on the current device.

andrewfblack
2009-09-30, 19:07
Are you planning on using osso-icons for the theme? Or are they copyrighted to Nokia or something?

Only the SDK has the green style to it. I'd love to see the bluish version on the current device.

My theme is based off of the Theme Maker Fremantle Theme. The Fremantle themes and icons that come with Maemo 5 are all copy written and I can't include them if you have a n900 I can tell you how to move your icons over.

zerojay
2009-09-30, 19:08
this is based off of the Theme Maker Fremantle Theme. The Fremantle themes and icons that come with Maemo 5 are all copy written and I can't include them if you have a n900 I can tell you how to move your icons over.

Just make the ones you have blue then. ;)

andrewfblack
2009-10-02, 17:46
added link to deb for install and uploaded to extras-devel.

gazza_d
2009-10-02, 18:49
installed and is really great - thank you very much!

any chance though of increasing the font size, and possibly making bold?

also some of the dialog boxes are black text on the dark gray background, which I am sure you are already aware of.

gary

andrewfblack
2009-10-02, 19:01
installed and is really great - thank you very much!

any chance though of increasing the font size, and possibly making bold?

also some of the dialog boxes are black text on the dark gray background, which I am sure you are already aware of.

gary

thanks for the input. I was planning on doing a large font version of it soon. Also I know that dialog buttons that are disabled are dark grey with black text are there anyone other ones if so please let me know.

gazza_d
2009-10-02, 19:19
The buttons below the quick reply box on this site for starters :-)

Although I don't personally use it much, the default media player is currently pretty messed up with this theme.

Ace theme though - thanks again. Really like it.

andrewfblack
2009-10-02, 19:30
Yeah I havn't created any media player buttons yet I kinda forgot to didn't think that many people used default player I'll do it before it goes to extras for sure.

jperez2009
2009-10-02, 20:24
Looks nice. I'll try it out once the little "kinks" are worked out. I am already comfortable with what I have, but this will be nice.

Jesse~

Cadabena
2009-10-02, 22:05
Very nice theme, extremely stylish. Only minor gripe is that text boxes are a kind of checked black, and hard to read.

jalladin
2009-10-02, 22:27
Very nice theme, extremely stylish. Only minor gripe is that text boxes are a kind of checked black, and hard to read.

I agree its very nice, its amazing how a simple thing like changing the theme can almost give the device a whole new feel and look almost. it refreshed it for me, for some reason i cant put it down now :p

jandmdickerson
2009-10-02, 22:47
thanks for the input. I was planning on doing a large font version of it soon. Also I know that dialog buttons that are disabled are dark grey with black text are there anyone other ones if so please let me know.

Can we get a "widebar" version also?? It makes life sooo easy....

Blahah
2009-10-02, 22:49
Nice work, this calibre of theme is what's needed to make the NIT a thing of beauty. It's actually inspired me to start theming myself. For such an awesome device, there are basically no themes. This is the first which really does it for me.

Incidentally, there are some incomplete areas, specifically when opening any settings programs the main window area shows as white with all other elements true to the theme.

ps, I threw together a quick background to complement this theme, as an alternative to the included one..

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/242356/back7.jpg

gazza_d
2009-10-03, 10:21
found another issue with the theme, which is that when using the default chat client, you cannot see any of the text in the chat window.

Nelson L. Squeeko
2009-10-03, 12:01
+1 for the Larger Text.

"Bug" report:
In the Home menu options to "Select Applets", "Set Background Image" and "Set Theme", the menu bar is a light blue as opposed to being green to match the theme.

Edit:
If those menu bars can't be changed, a blue version (as suggested earlier) would also be nice.

Cadabena
2009-10-03, 14:31
I've edited the background so the black matches the top now

http://www.freewebs.com/xpsp-by-cadabena/qgn_plat_home_background.jpg

andrewfblack
2009-10-04, 02:40
Can we get a "widebar" version also?? It makes life sooo easy....

I've never been able to figure out the wide scroll bars. If anyone wants to do it or tell me how pm me.

andrewfblack
2009-10-04, 02:42
+1 for the Larger Text.

"Bug" report:
In the Home menu options to "Select Applets", "Set Background Image" and "Set Theme", the menu bar is a light blue as opposed to being green to match the theme.

Edit:
If those menu bars can't be changed, a blue version (as suggested earlier) would also be nice.

I can change anything and I'll change that menu bar. Also I hope to start work on blue version in the next week or two. I didn't plan on color variants at first but after I rework my themes I will be able to do unlimited color variation.

I also want to thank everyone for there comments on my theme its nice to know people like it. Keep the bug reports coming in I hope to release and update Monday. Also let me know of any color variants you want.

mfortner
2009-10-04, 03:27
Yeah I havn't created any media player buttons yet I kinda forgot to didn't think that many people used default player I'll do it before it goes to extras for sure.

Is this also why the Internet Radio applet appears in a green outline and dark buttons?

andrewfblack
2009-10-04, 03:33
Is this also why the Internet Radio applet appears in a green outline and dark buttons?

not sure I will ave to take a look at the radio applet. it could be

Saturn
2009-10-04, 10:29
Hi Andrew,

The theme looks great. Thanks.

- There are some pixels missing in the bottom of the "Status Bar". (it is also visible in the Advanced Backlight icon on your post). It is also missing the small icon with the parallel bars next to the name of the "Home".
- In the "Task Navigator" the icon of the contacts has disappeared - if you tap on that area it pops the menu.
- In the "Personal Menu" it doesn't show the focus on the application when using the d-pad.
- The clock applet looks weird.
- The menus in many applications have white background with blue header.

Here are some screenshots if they can help..

Nelson L. Squeeko
2009-10-04, 12:06
I know its not how the Fremantle theme looks, but I kind of like it when viewing the desktop that the title/applet bar has a slight transparency to it.

Like instead of the 100% opacity, something like 80-90% would look nice. Just a slight change so you can tell the image in the background isn't cut off.

Blahah
2009-10-04, 12:27
Andrew I have a request. Could you possibly make a version with a font which supports all Japanese characters? I can provide you with the appropriate font if you're willing to include it.

bobthebuilder
2009-10-04, 17:54
not sure if your aware of this but the suggested word finishing thing is illegible when in microb with this, You can only see what you have already typed.

andrewfblack
2009-10-04, 21:39
Hi Andrew,

The theme looks great. Thanks.

- There are some pixels missing in the bottom of the "Status Bar". (it is also visible in the Advanced Backlight icon on your post). It is also missing the small icon with the parallel bars next to the name of the "Home".
- In the "Task Navigator" the icon of the contacts has disappeared - if you tap on that area it pops the menu.
- In the "Personal Menu" it doesn't show the focus on the application when using the d-pad.
- The clock applet looks weird.
- The menus in many applications have white background with blue header.

Here are some screenshots if they can help..

Theme in OS2008 has some problems and bugs in general. Every theme I have one as he problem with cutting off the bottom of status bar. I believe its a problem with the theme maker software.

The Contacts and Browser buttons are made clear on purpose to make the theme look more like Fremantle. I have considered released a package to give you the icons if you want them but they do take away from the fremantle look some.

I don't use Personal Menu but I will install it and see what the problem is there is nothing on the theme that deals with Personal Menu but it might be a problem with the Focus all together.

Clock and Media Player Buttons are no finished yet. I don't think the color of menus are changable which is why we have no seen a black theme before I'll take a look into that as well.

andrewfblack
2009-10-04, 21:41
Andrew I have a request. Could you possibly make a version with a font which supports all Japanese characters? I can provide you with the appropriate font if you're willing to include it.

sure just send me the font and I'll use it.

Blahah
2009-10-06, 14:46
sure just send me the font and I'll use it.

Awesome thanks! MSGothic is probably the best to use as it has a nice sans western in addition to the Japanese scripts.

http://www.linux.ryukent.co.uk/download/msgothic.zip

andrewfblack
2009-10-06, 18:22
Just released 1.2 that has several fixes including black background on menus, Also released 1.2 Wide Bars that has wide scroll bars. Please check them out and let me know what you think.

gazza_d
2009-10-06, 18:35
Just released 1.2 that has several fixes including black background on menus, Also released 1.2 Wide Bars that has wide scroll bars. Please check them out and let me know what you think.

Hi Andrew.

Just checked your link from the 1st post on this thread, extras, and your windows theme garage site.

Where can I grab 1.2 plase? Or am I just too keen?

Thanks

Gaz

andrewfblack
2009-10-06, 18:43
Extras should be have very soon. Also I'm going to be added new link in about 2 mintues.

VulcanRidr
2009-10-07, 09:16
Thanks for this great theme, Andrew!

I have two issues with it (as the lugradio guys would say, there are always two, aren't there?)

1. Can/should we create icons for contacts and web? These can be turned off in the control panel, but on a few occasions, I use them.

2. The grey background is inherited by some apps. Especially with xword, it is almost impossible to see the clues, because while the app inherits the background (dark gray), it does not inherit the text color, so it is black.

Any ideas on this?

andrewfblack
2009-10-07, 13:04
The icons can't be turned off in control panel but I'm going to release a second package that either replaces the icons. I'll also take a look at xword most likely if your using a program where you can select the font color it wont carry over.

VulcanRidr
2009-10-07, 21:21
The icons can't be turned off in control panel but I'm going to release a second package that either replaces the icons. I'll also take a look at xword most likely if your using a program where you can select the font color it wont carry over.

Thanks Andrew. I checked the affected apps I have found so far (xword and midori), and did not see a way to change the font colors. In midori, the menus are green, but text input boxes are black on gray.

For the record, I too would also like to see a blue or purple version of this theme as well...

--vr

andrewfblack
2009-10-07, 22:17
can you post up a screenshot so I can try and find what color grey is using, also I plan on multiple color variants

Blahah
2009-10-08, 06:06
Andrew,

frediablowb is a BIG improvement. The button changes especially make everything much more readable, and the wide bar is great. Thanks for all the hard work.

LABAUDIO
2009-10-09, 05:00
Someone started talking about how it would be nice to have a Fremantle Style Theme for Diablo. I decided to give it a try and see what I could come up with and here are some of the screenshots. I will be releasing the theme on Friday to extras-devel and give it a few days there before moving it into extras. The theme is about 98% done as of today and only has a few bugs to work out.

Update 1.2: Fixed several issues including menu backgrounds, also started a wide scroll bar version.

Please leave any comments about my theme you wish.

Download Deb: Version 1.2 (http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2240466/FreDiablo.deb) - Version 1.2 Wide Scroll Bars

Screenshots:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/andrewfblack/Fremantle/screenshot21.png

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/andrewfblack/Fremantle/screenshot22.png

Wide Bars:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/andrewfblack/Fremantle/screenshot01.png

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/andrewfblack/Fremantle/screenshot02.png

N900 borgizered lolllllll nice licking slick bro

GilesyNokia
2009-10-09, 09:59
Hey has anyone uploaded any N900 Maemo 5 themes yet??
Cheers

andrewfblack
2009-10-09, 12:03
haven't gotten theme maker worker yet for maemo5

VulcanRidr
2009-10-12, 16:11
can you post up a screenshot so I can try and find what color grey is using, also I plan on multiple color variants

Sorry about the delay, Andrew. Here is a screenshot of xword and midori. In midori, everything displays fine except for text input boxes. Note that I haven't noticed this behavior with any other theme, but then again, this is the first dark one I have tried.

bongo
2009-10-14, 18:03
I'd love to see a blue version of your theme

VulcanRidr
2009-10-20, 13:10
Andrew,

Any headway on the issues with the theme and the black-on-gray text or the blue version of the theme? I'm itching to use this theme. :D

andrewfblack
2009-10-20, 13:26
Midori doesn't listen to the text color from the theme, it is how ever using the background color for the text boxes. My only hope would be to change text box BG back to white and text web text color to black. I know default browser follows colors I'm not sure about tear but I will look into changing it soon. I will also start work on a blue version next week some time. I have been getting ready for the Florida Linux Show this weekend and been very busy. Thank you for your interest.

Tabster
2009-10-20, 13:45
is this theme available in extras-devel or extras? I can't seem to find it..
thanks.

andrewfblack
2009-10-20, 13:49
extras-devel or use the .deb on first post.

Tabster
2009-10-20, 13:56
hmm, eyesight must be worse than I thought..what name am I looking for in Application Manager?

EDIT: nevermind. I still had "chinook" in my Distribution for something I was doing. I can see your theme now I removed "chinook" :)

LABAUDIO
2009-10-24, 20:34
Damn iam very suprise to see the theme of maemo5 look very close to my borg theme i make it for maemo2008

for real....i dont said its a copy cat...but honnestly, i'am curious to know if my borg theme inspired someones to make a dark theme for maemo5 whit a lot of green scale...

anyway....iam glad to see finaly my borg theme 2008 be maybe precursor of what look maemo5 ui theme now

so if i give a little inspiration for who create fremantle theme whit my borg one....that a good think

cheers :D:D:D

andrewfblack
2009-10-25, 13:32
Fremantle does look similar to your borg theme in the fact that its dark and green buts thats about all I think.

sjgadsby
2009-10-26, 01:55
Fremantle does look similar to your borg theme in the fact that its dark and green buts thats about all I think.

And only the SDK Fremantle theme is black with green. On device, the default theme is black with blue and the alternate is black with orange. The use of blue and orange in the on-device themes is in keeping with previous Maemo releases.

andrewfblack
2009-10-26, 12:15
And only the SDK Fremantle theme is black with green. On device, the default theme is black with blue and the alternate is black with orange. The use of blue and orange in the on-device themes is in keeping with previous Maemo releases.

The black and green theme is available for the n900.

sjgadsby
2009-10-26, 13:04
The black and green theme is available for the n900.

Ah, thank you. I haven't seen it yet in Nokia Applications, Extras, or Extras-Testing, so I was unaware Nokia was making it generally available to end users.

In any case, a SDK & add-on theme is a step removed from built-in themes.

andrewfblack
2009-10-26, 14:57
Ah, thank you. I haven't seen it yet in Nokia Applications, Extras, or Extras-Testing, so I was unaware Nokia was making it generally available to end users.

In any case, a SDK & add-on theme is a step removed from built-in themes.

It comes with the Theme Maker Package if no one has put it in extras then someone should build it and put it in there. It would be nice for people to have I think. Its the theme I based my theme off of I do plan on doing version for all colors as well. The will not be the exact color of Fremantle version but similar(trying to cover my butt)

joppu
2009-10-26, 15:46
So, black themes aren't supported so well on OS2008? Since I was thinking of releasing a version of Hitech for N8x0 devices while waiting for the ironing out of the Fremantle TM.

andrewfblack
2009-10-26, 16:21
So, black themes aren't supported so well on OS2008? Since I was thinking of releasing a version of Hitech for N8x0 devices while waiting for the ironing out of the Fremantle TM.

There are a few problems where some applications don't take the default text color and tries to use black text with dark background. All the standard applications work fine just some 3rd party ones have trouble. I would assume its more of a application problem then a theme problem.

gazza_d
2009-10-26, 20:11
There are a few problems where some applications don't take the default text color and tries to use black text with dark background. All the standard applications work fine just some 3rd party ones have trouble. I would assume its more of a application problem then a theme problem.

I've been using Andrew's Fremantle for Diablo theme since he releases it into the wild, and have encountered very few problems with applications.

Only real issues for me are some of the URL links are dark blue on black, and the size of the font, sometimes means I'm squinting (which could just be me getting older). It could do with being a point or two larger, and possibly bold as well.

Other then that I am really enjoying using a dark theme for Diablo, and would welcome more.

pinguino89
2009-10-29, 17:06
I wuould suggest this theme to everyone, it's fanstatic ^__^

only ussue with Tear! the area where you have to write is black! (and the caracters too..) so i cannot see what I'm writing...other than that, it's perfect!

Tintin
2009-10-29, 17:38
A really neat theme but the small text makes it unusable for me :(
I also wish that the background image could stretch up to the top like it does to the left.

Any chance that there is a font size setting that I missed somewhere?

jkq
2009-10-29, 18:57
Any updates on the blue variant? :)

-jkq

andrewfblack
2009-10-30, 18:20
updates are on the way I deep into several projects right now but an update to this theme is near top of my todo list.

gsruff
2009-10-30, 18:56
Looking forward to updates. This theme is great!

mfortner
2009-10-30, 22:34
I'd love to see a blue version of your theme

Andrew-

Is changing the color a matter of replacing an image file somewhere? Is it something we can customize by editing the source file for the color?

andrewfblack
2009-10-30, 22:41
Normally I try to make my themes using .svg to make color change easy but this theme was made using parts from a .png from the theme maker package. I now have access to the .svg of the them and will have to start over to make color variants.

Se7eN
2009-11-22, 21:09
hello guys
I wanted to ask, if there's any way to imitate maemo 5 look & feel in diablo, more then just colors and icons ?
First, I thought if it's possible to remove the left bar, to get some more space for the application, like in maemo 5 or Mer. Second, change menu look to finger-friendly and not just regular GTK clone.
I don't know if a theme can do that, but I thought it's a good place to begin.
thanks...

pinguino89
2009-11-23, 22:15
I'm interested too in the evolving of this theme ^_^

I wish To remove the side bar of the hildon desktop (I prefer the Mer's one in this way) and the integration with webkit (it have problems to handle the black...in example in the text area i cannot see any caracter because is black...on a black background...)

i think that if we can manage to have the hildon-desktop like Mer and apply this theme to it, we can have a very similar framantle effect and very beautiful ^_^

andrewfblack
2009-11-24, 20:36
hello guys
I wanted to ask, if there's any way to imitate maemo 5 look & feel in diablo, more then just colors and icons ?
First, I thought if it's possible to remove the left bar, to get some more space for the application, like in maemo 5 or Mer. Second, change menu look to finger-friendly and not just regular GTK clone.
I don't know if a theme can do that, but I thought it's a good place to begin.
thanks...

You can't with Diablo but that is what Mer is doing.

Se7eN
2009-11-24, 21:04
You can't with Diablo but that is what Mer is doing.
Well... I have been waiting a long time for Mer, but unfortunately, it's development is very slow (as you know, I guess), and it is not usable at all (yes - I have tried).
Instead of waiting for Mer, which her best improvment for me is the better look&feel (especially - finger usage), I just started to transform my Diablo to "something like maemo 5". It's still early level, but looks very promising. I hope to share it with you ASAP. And for sure, that theme is a great step in that effort.

Se7eN
2009-11-28, 20:21
andrewfblack, there are some changes that should be done in the theme in order to fit it for the new layout. Is it ok that I do it ? do you prefer that I'll publish it under different name ?

andrewfblack
2009-11-30, 16:53
Nope you can make the changes and I'll send you the source if you want it. I would like to take a look at your screenshots of your new layout. PM them to me if you don't want other people to see them

Se7eN
2009-11-30, 19:29
I wanted to PM you but I didn't find how...
screenshots - a day or two, I hope. I crashed the maemo desktop so I had to re-flash the device, and I used this opportunity to try some new things, like nitdroid and so ;)

andrewfblack
2009-11-30, 19:35
you need 10 post to pm people you can email me at andrewfblack@gmail.com

Mer uses a custom layout so you might be able to get some help from there also.

Se7eN
2009-11-30, 20:18
There's a bug in FreDiablo: the cursor in hidden (while inserting text). I guess because it's black.
Moreover, the WB version looks like as the regular version...I didn't see any difference

andrewfblack
2009-11-30, 21:06
Not a bug no way to change cursor color that I know of. Also WB version has some problems I haven't gotten fixed yet

Se7eN
2009-12-01, 20:52
Well, the new theme is almost done. All the desktop changes are already done. I hope to upload some photos on thursday, and maybe downloads on the weekend. I have to think on a name for the project...
BTW, does someone know how to launch the main applications launcher by a shortcut key (or a command) ?

giladmttw
2009-12-02, 20:22
Well, the new theme is almost done. All the desktop changes are already done. I hope to upload some photos on thursday, and maybe downloads on the weekend. I have to think on a name for the project...
BTW, does someone know how to launch the main applications launcher by a shortcut key (or a command) ?

To launch the launcher you can use xte. download from:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=264750&postcount=1

the command is then:
xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'keydown Shift_L' 'key Tab' 'keyup Alt_L' 'keyup Shift_L'

This command depends on the shortcut set for a bluetooth keyboard.

I really like this theme but the font is too small. Can you make the font bigger, the same size as the default themes ?

Se7eN
2009-12-03, 21:22
To launch the launcher you can use xte. download from:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=264750&postcount=1

the command is then:
xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'keydown Shift_L' 'key Tab' 'keyup Alt_L' 'keyup Shift_L'

This command depends on the shortcut set for a bluetooth keyboard.

I really like this theme but the font is too small. Can you make the font bigger, the same size as the default themes ?
for the menu - I need to know the exact command that launch it, I can't depend on installed xte.
about font size - you are definitely right, and I already changed the font size!
after 3 times of crashing the maemo DE , I surrender. I did some big changes in the layout, but I couldn't make a really important one. therefore, I'll upload tomorrow some screenshots and after that the theme file, and then I will ask for the community help.

Se7eN
2009-12-03, 22:32
well, to surprise myself and you guys, here it is:
the pre-alpha version:

BTW, I'm still looking for a name... any suggestions ?

Se7eN
2009-12-03, 22:37
downloads and instructions - really soon, after opening a garage project (I really want some wiki pages to manage all the options and instructions). waiting for your replies...

jkq
2009-12-03, 23:07
downloads and instructions - really soon, after opening a garage project (I really want some wiki pages to manage all the options and instructions). waiting for your replies...

Would it be possible to make (a variant with) wider scroll bars? I've been spoiled by the "echowb" theme. :)

-jkq

chenli
2009-12-04, 01:36
I'm definitely in support of taking away the bar on the left.
It really does take up too much space...

Looks good so far to me though.

Se7eN
2009-12-04, 09:21
Would it be possible to make (a variant with) wider scroll bars? I've been spoiled by the "echowb" theme. :)

-jkq

I also prefer wide scrollbars, but I wait for andrewfblack to fix his wb version, and then I'll update it for the new layout changes.
no doubt that wide scrollbars are much more finger-friendly.

andrewfblack
2009-12-04, 14:30
The wide scroll bar images are in the frediablowb package just something wrong in configuration file. Do you have this packaged into a deb or does it take manual modification?

pinguino89
2009-12-07, 11:07
how goes the ''kill sidebar'' hack?? I'm very intrested in this hack :-)
there are many problems with it?
Idefinitely want to refresh my device's look with it, rendering it similar to the n900 look, or at least to the optima's maemo one ^.^

Se7eN
2009-12-07, 17:55
It's a very simple change in hildon desktop config file. Actually, I don't remove it (even though I can), just give it 0 px width. That, in order to be able to launch the windows list with the HW button. currently, the only problem left is the main launcher. I use personal launcher and personal menu, but there's a need to find a solution. I prefer to use the back HW button for that, but I don't know how.
I hope to upload a website todaty, so all the documentation will be there...

pinguino89
2009-12-07, 18:36
thankyoiu very much! I image that the main menu can be replaced by a mixture of personal menu and launcher (wich have to be on the top), but is necessary to swithc the task-bar (where the task are) and put it on the top I image, or you will be able to change program only with the home button..there is a lot of work, I'm not a linux epert or experienced programmer, but I may help you testing and segnaling bugs ^_^

let me know ^_^ thx

Se7eN
2009-12-07, 20:09
This garage thing is too complicated. I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to upload the website !
I have to go to sleep, but hopefully tomorrow we'll have the website running. good night :)

Se7eN
2009-12-07, 20:25
little OT, but anybody knows if there is PHP support in garage web sites ?

andrewfblack
2009-12-07, 20:36
I don't think so. I can give you some webspace if you need it.

pinguino89
2009-12-09, 19:04
no updates of the situation? ^-^

Se7eN
2009-12-09, 21:15
Well... finally done.

here you can see the new minisite, with downloads and instruction inside:
http://frediablo.garage.maemo.org/

waiting for your impressions, and sorry for the long waiting

Se7eN

pinguino89
2009-12-09, 21:42
I think I love you *___* xD xD

now I'm starting test!!!
looks fantastic! thanks!

how can I edit the conf file to put the "personal menu" in stasusbar in the corner (like the maemo5's dashboard button)???

edit:2

for now seems to work very well, but as theme I'm using echowb instead of the frediablo2, because of the widebars, when the widebars are fixed in frdiablo, I will return to it...

i still continue to test your tweak and report bugs ^-^

heavyt
2009-12-09, 22:41
Well... finally done.

here you can see the new minisite, with downloads and instruction inside:
http://frediablo.garage.maemo.org/

waiting for your impressions, and sorry for the long waiting

Se7eN

Does full screen option covers the top menubar?

pinguino89
2009-12-09, 22:50
yes, the fullscreen consist in the hiding of the top bar

pinguino89
2009-12-09, 23:19
I'm playng with thes "refreshed" device, and I like it very much!!
only one thing: why...why without the minimize!!
I'm using the "normal" frediablo only for it...
i found it to be important because the multitasking will depends ONLY on the home button (witch is annoyng for me)

Possibility to have a minimize button version? ^-^

(sorry if I look so pressing, but I was waiting for this thing from the day I took the device xD)

giladmttw
2009-12-10, 08:25
Thank you Se7en, I'm using it right now and it is great, the font is huge and very easy on the eye.
There is still however the problem of black font on black text boxes, but I'm willing to live with that.
I'm pasting this reply from notes 'cause I can't use the reply text box :)

Se7eN
2009-12-10, 17:33
thanks guys...

left corner windows list and/or main menu:
I really wanted that, and I spent 2 days (and 3 system-crashing-and-flashing) to make this work, but I couldn't. you need to add extra "statusbar" in the panel (as far as I know - impossible) or move the left bar (tasknavigator) to top left. I did that, but it still use all screen width, so I had tow panels: upper with windows list and main menu, and under the regular one.
If someone knows more about that I would really want to do that, but again, I failed.

about the minimize button:
1. it is removed in maemo 5
2. I used it twice in almost a year - that made me think why is it there
3. many many times when I wanted to close an app, I minimized it. the tow buttons are too small, and there is not enough space for both big.
if you want it, you can use another theme, I guess. If it is really really important, PM me.

font color - I'll take a look.

pinguino89
2009-12-10, 17:51
yea, for the taskmenu, I share your opinion, is important but for now it's impossible to use, for the minimize bottom, i use a lot it instead ^_^ but that's not a problem, i'm using the built-in felicia theme (or hndrika, it's the same) and works flawlessy with new interfaces settings...I opted for that because every other themes seem wrapped from the changes, and the fremantle one have problems with the font color, the font size (really too huge for me, but "de gustibus") and the minimize bottom

for now I keep testing this tweak

Se7eN
2009-12-10, 18:13
the font size (really too huge for me, but "de gustibus")
it's not that big for reading, it's for finger usage. maemo use one font size for many many widgets, including app menu and combo boxes. these tow should be really big to make them finger friendly.

pinguino89
2009-12-10, 18:27
yeah I see, but for my taste, it's already "almost" fingerfriendly with a built-in theme (except only for the bars...whit the wide ones, it will be fully fingerfriendly FOR ME)

but it's not a critic, I was saying only to inform you >.<

Se7eN
2009-12-10, 22:34
Well, I uploaded WB version, numbered 2.1.

For further usage : the only change needed to make a theme WB, is to change that line:
class "GtkScrollbar" style "osso-scrollbar"
to be that:
class "GtkScrollbar" style "hildon-thumb-scrollbar"

Edit: ther are mistakes - look here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=427020&postcount=109

Se7eN
2009-12-11, 12:09
Is the new version OK ? other problems or bugs ?

giladmttw
2009-12-12, 09:36
I added the task-menu to the status bar, but now the home key doesn't work, opens both menus which close each other. Anybody knows how can this be fixed ?

Se7eN
2009-12-12, 21:16
I added the task-menu to the status bar, but now the home key doesn't work, opens both menus which close each other. Anybody knows how can this be fixed ?
I don't know, and that why I don't use that.
The fine solution will be to move the left bar to top-left corner, but, as I said, I couldn't do that.

Se7eN
2009-12-13, 17:05
I fixed some bugs, and I'm about to upload a new version, but I'm still trying to resolve the last annoying bug: how to change to toolbar button label color? I tried some config options, but none helped.

pinguino89
2009-12-14, 00:37
hi Se7eN, I'm testing for a while successfully you tweak, I never had problems in the view of programs (but intead they improved a lot...i'm not force anymore to go fullscreen) and never have crash or other problems; to supplish the task-menu, I use personalmenu in statusbar + personal launcher; and that's ok;

now I'm intriged in the implementation of the kinetik scroll in every part of the browser (like you wrote in you garage page)
have you any point of start?? or it is a big black hole for now??
because this tweak can eliminate the use of the anti-estethic widebars (wich I'm not using because I do not really need it)

thx again for this tweak ^_^

mfortner
2009-12-14, 03:00
Is it ok/possible to edit the desktop.conf to extend the status bar? I'd rather do that than use the pull down menu for those extra icons that are not fitting.

Se7eN
2009-12-14, 12:05
now I'm intriged in the implementation of the kinetik scroll in every part of the browser (like you wrote in you garage page)
have you any point of start?? or it is a big black hole for now??

I guess that we have to implement kinetic scrolling in GTK libraries, and replace the original ones with re-compiled libraries. This sounds very complicated and dangerous for me.
The implementation in not that difficult, and may we can use other projects like that:
http://miaouw.henrikhedberg.com/

but again, I think this is really really problematic. maybe there's another solution, that I don't know.

Se7eN
2009-12-14, 12:06
Is it ok/possible to edit the desktop.conf to extend the status bar? I'd rather do that than use the pull down menu for those extra icons that are not fitting.

I edited that, but the width is still limited. I really don't know why is that.

Se7eN
2009-12-14, 12:40
Well, the new version is in the garage. changes:
* only vertical scrollbars are wide
* fix window close animation bug
* fix some errors in theme gtkrc file
* change regular font color and toolbar font color to #eefffb (almost white)
* change cursor color to orange

BTW, I should correct myself: here :http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=421765&postcount=100 I explained how to make WB versions from any theme, but the instruction are wrong - you should use these definitions:

class "GtkScrollbar" style "osso-scrollbar"
class "GtkHScrollbar" style "osso-scrollbar"
class "GtkVScrollbar" style "hildon-thumb-scrollbar"
I also uploaded updated images to the project web page.

cheers

Se7eN

pinguino89
2009-12-15, 00:04
Se7eN, Can you provide alsoa "normal scrollbar" verision of the latest theme?? (or at least a method to set them normal)

thx very much!

Se7eN
2009-12-15, 20:52
well, I can't access the garage project, so I just upload it here. The change is really really small - only one line, as you can see in my prev post.
I don't have time to check that "release", so try it on your own risk.
I don't expect any problems, just in case.

any other requests or bug reports ?

gazza_d
2009-12-15, 21:08
Just installed the latest version, and thank you for the larger fonts, and the other improvements.

A great improvement on a great theme.

pinguino89
2009-12-15, 21:59
thx Se7eN!, now I'm using it without problems;

about the bug of the text entries:
is that a problem of the browser or the theme? (in webkits browser is even worse because you cannot view what you are writing, I use only MicroB, at least I can see what I write xD)

because It's a bug that persist from the 1st release of th teme!

Se7eN
2009-12-16, 22:54
All textboxes has black bg - thats theme default. I guess the browsers inherits that. I all applications, the font color in textbox is (almost) white - expect of browsers.
I sampled the text color in browser textbox, trying to figure out where it is defined, but it wasn't in the theme config. I also tried to change many colors to affect that, but no success. Therefor, the only conclusion I got is that this is browsers bug of not using the system definition for colors.

pinguino89
2009-12-17, 06:55
Yea, I see;
with MicroB the problem isn't important because it uses the theme's config in the font, so you can see what you are writing, in webkit's browser instead, it doesn't happen...except for digia!!! in digia, there are blax textbox with white/green (or the color of the theme's font) fonts!

is there a reason why in digia it works well and in tear/midori not?

Se7eN
2009-12-17, 08:11
my guess - their bugs... they probably hard-code the text color

pinguino89
2009-12-17, 16:05
so, isnt an idea to use theyr "bug" to improve tear/midori??

It's only an idea, I don't even know if it's possible >_<

andrewfblack
2009-12-17, 16:31
They are buggs in Tear/Midori that they don't follow the proper hildon color theming.

pinguino89
2009-12-17, 16:55
oh ok, I misunderstood sorry!!!

BTW is there any news about the taskbar? or the main menu?

thx a lot, this theme is beautiful (I do not like much dark themes, but this is very beautiful), and the tweak is fantasic!!

gogol
2009-12-18, 01:23
Thanks! The desktop UI hacks on the garage site rock! I love having Personal Menu in the statusbar and no sidebar whatsoever. It fits so well being a constant user of Personal Launcher even if u arent trying to emulate the look of M5.

Much obliged for the hacks ;)

bongo
2009-12-18, 08:22
I think it's not that hard to display app menu entries in the status bar. With python you're able to display an icon which opens a menu but now I need to find out how to read the app menu structure.

Se7eN
2009-12-18, 10:42
Yes, I thought about re-writing application menu, and then create statusbar applet for that, but now I don't have time...

Se7eN
2009-12-19, 21:04
now I use personal launcher without labels - only big table of icons (like iphone maybe).

giladmttw
2009-12-20, 18:42
Using the latest (2.2) and it's perfect. Textboxes are actually black text on almost black so you can see if the box is empty. My fix to it atm is to use the onscreen thumboard, which lets you see the text and edit it.

giladmttw
2009-12-28, 17:13
I've Added a window switcher button to the upper left corner. When you click on it you switch to the next window. All I had to do is a few changes to this file:
/usr/share/themes/FreDiablo/matchbox/theme.xml

Attached is the modified file (ending with .txt so it can be uploaded). Do make a backup of the existing file before you replace it.

Se7eN
2009-12-29, 00:11
really nice job, giladmttw. brilliant !

pinguino89
2009-12-29, 00:22
can it be compiled in the next version of the theme (wich I personally love, and have no issues-because i do not use any webkit maybe xD)

because I haven't been managed to sobstitute the file with the new one...
so I haven't tested nor seen it in action, but maybe any of you, can include it in a new version of the theme maybe!!!

thx a lot for this hard work!! ^___^

giladmttw
2009-12-29, 11:03
Thank you Se7en, can you add that to your theme ?
Also you need to change the pixmap to somthing with 100 width.
Can you also change the icon for personal-menu ? we need somthing small and orange to blend well in the status bar. it's in
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/personal-menu.png

Se7eN
2009-12-29, 20:43
I want to, buy I prefer to ask the rest of the users:
what do you prefer ? with or without next-window button ?

about personal menu - I can do it technically, but It's not fair and acceptable to change other package files. I'm afraid I can't distribute a deb file that touch this file...sorry

pinguino89
2009-12-29, 22:45
I might be interessed in the next window hack;
maybe you can provide a version with and without next windows!!

Se7eN
2009-12-29, 23:01
I can, but I hate forks: every change should be updated twice. and then comes another fork (narrow/wide scrollbars for example), and you get 4 versions to maintain.

pinguino89
2009-12-30, 08:04
I understand, But, at least for me, it's important to have a software method to multitask (now you can only via home button), so, I think that it's important to have or the minimize/next windows button, or a software shortcut to the task-menu; do you agree with me?

pinguino89
2009-12-30, 09:13
joking with the statusbar.conf, I've managed to have the main-menu, on the statusbar (instead of personal menu);
it's sufficent to write:

[/usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator/applications-menu.desktop]
X-Load=true

instead of the one with personal menu

but have some problem:

1-when you touch the icon, the first application in the 1st voice of the menu, is accidentally clicked (in my case, the mediaplayer)

2-I do not know why, sometimes hildon-desktop crashes if I go from an app, directly to the desktop
(fixed!!! it was the switcher-menu that I was testing in the status bar, that crashes because If I open with the home button, it try to open 2 times the same menu...so crashes)
any suggestion??

Edit: so the problem is only in the accidental clicking (but is very annoyng..)

giladmttw
2009-12-30, 10:06
I've tried any change possible with statusbar.conf, you can add any .desktop you want there. The best option is personal-menu. I'm guessing your first problem is because the menu is defined as "pressonly", that is, you touch it and it immediately opens up so you can drag your finger to your selection, raising your finger than signals a click. All launchers are like that except one - personal-menu, the recommended choice for Frediablo users :)
The fix for it is to rearrange the menu so that no application sits under your finger when it is launched.
You can also put the home menu in the status bar:
[/usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator/switcher-menu.desktop]
X-Load=true
but then you can't use the home key, because it will open the menu in the status bar and the one in the left panel together, so they then close each other :)))
The next button is the best, I wouldn't have it any other way now. I'm using the "close" pixmap for it:

pinguino89
2009-12-30, 10:17
yeah, I see xD

By the way, Is the "next" button, simply the "minimize" button??

or is another one??

(sorry but didn't managed to test it sorry :( )

giladmttw
2009-12-30, 13:56
The "next" button is like pressing ALT-TAB in a desktop keyboard. It snaps immediately to the next open window. When there is only one window open it is not shown, and you get blank black square. You can still add a minimize button if you want. You can also set a button "prev" to go to the previous window.
The original matchbox window manager had an option for "menu", clicking that button gives a list of open windows, like the home-key menu. Nokia decided to remove that for an application specific menu, and instead add a left panel with three app launchers, two task switchers and a hardwere button for taskswitching too !

I really want you try this button, but I'm afraid that if you don't how to do it you might damage your system. Unlike the statusbar.conf where there is a fallback file, if there is an error in theme.xml you end up with a reboot loop.

pinguino89
2009-12-30, 15:34
ok understood;
my intention is to find a method to have a softwae button to wake up the switcher-menu without have to conflict with the home key!!!

because now I'm starting to fit in the utilization without the minimize key (wich is the only thing that I miss in this theme) but It's a bit annoyng to use continuosly the home-key also only to swith between 2 apps...

for now there is only advanced-power-monitor that have the option "hardware key" where you simulate a home press ( or a long one) but it's in a bad posizion and have to clic 3 trimes before I can acces to the home menu (click icon, click menu, click botton, then menu pops up)

is there a method to "emulate" the hardware key pressing?

giladmttw
2009-12-30, 20:07
You can issue a "next window" in personal-menu, add this command:
matchbox-remote -next

pinguino89
2009-12-30, 20:32
thx a lot, it works!

noew,curiosity, wghre can i see those commands?
if i want other action ofv matchbox, where an i see what commands are avaiable?

thx

giladmttw
2009-12-30, 21:03
try in xterm:
matchbox-remote -help

pinguino89
2009-12-30, 21:31
thank you!!!
It's the usefullness made command xD xD

(you know, I'm learning a lot fro the time I bought my n800 ^___^)

giladmttw
2009-12-30, 22:10
I'm learning new things here all the time. Se7en showed me the light with is hacks, so I researched the matchbox docs a bit and found this. Unfortunately the docs are old and some things were changed in Maemo. What I would like to have now is change the home key to "next" and kill the left panel, save some RAM. Another thing that bothers me is the window borders, which I would like to remove. Why do we even have window borders ???
matchbox can only show one window at a time anyway ???

Se7eN
2010-01-03, 17:20
you can remove the left bar by deleting it's section from desktop.conf. I don't like it because then the windows menu doesn't appear on left side.
of course, be careful with changes in the layout, you can easily crash the desktop and may not be able to boot, and you will have to reflash.

seems funny compares to what happend to me:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=446485
:(

giladmttw
2010-01-03, 20:34
I boot from SD. When I tried somthing in theme.xml and got a reboot loop, I simply took the card out, mouted it on a linux pc and reverted to the old file. Takes less than minute.
Now I remember that I also got a reboot loop when trying to define tasknavigator as panel_expandable instead of panel_box.
I also found that the status bar is hardcoded to have a maximum of seven applets in one panel, no matter how wide you make it.

giladmttw
2010-01-04, 11:09
put the status bar on the left side and the window menu will open on the left:

<!-- Main windows title bar. You need to define its height -->
<frame id="main" height="50">

<layer x="0" y="0" w="800" h="50" type="pixmap" pixmap="applicationtopbararea"/>

<layer x="290" y="5" w="410" h="50" type="label" color="osso-TitleTextColor" justify="left" font="osso-TitleFont" />

<!-- Define the area that launches application menu -->

<button x="290" y="0" w="410" h="50" action="custom" options="inputonly,pressonly" />

<!-- Define the status bar applet panel -->

<panel x="0" y="0" w="280" h="50" />

<!-- Define minimize and close buttons -->
<!--
<button x="0" y="0" w="100" h="50" action="next" >
<active pixmap="titlebarclosebuttonpressed"/>
<inactive pixmap="titlebarclosebutton"/>
</button>
-->
<button x="-100" y="0" w="100" h="50" action="close" >
<active pixmap="titlebarclosebuttonpressed" />
</button>

pinguino89
2010-01-04, 11:39
wich file I have to modify to apply this???

giladmttw
2010-01-04, 14:17
edit this as root:
/usr/share/themes/FreDiablo/matchbox/theme.xml

I tried it but went back to the next window button, much faster than waiting for the menu to open.

bongo
2010-01-04, 19:58
This theme is great for vertical rotation :)

pinguino89
2010-01-04, 21:12
wow didn't think to that ^_^ it may be a very nice addict!!!
btw, I'm using the twek but not the theme (To change sometimes ^,^ now using echoWB with excellent resulting!!-the stylus is in it's hole except for terminal work!)
and without personal-menu, but with the original menu in the statusbar

The frediablo theme, is very very beautiful ( I like dark themes) but the problem with the text boxes, is very annoyng!

traysh
2010-01-21, 21:50
My version (attached)

andrewfblack
2010-01-22, 03:15
My version (attached)

You get menu working? If so if you can send me your source I can repackage it for easy install for everyone.

Anunakin
2010-01-25, 21:28

<layer x="0" y="0" w="800" h="50" type="pixmap" pixmap="applicationtopbararea"/>

<layer x="290" y="5" w="410" h="50" type="label" color="osso-TitleTextColor" justify="left" font="osso-TitleFont" />

<button x="290" y="0" w="410" h="50" action="custom" options="inputonly,pressonly" />

<!--
</button>
-->
</button>

My version (attached)

You get menu working? If so if you can send me your source I can repackage it for easy install for everyone.

Andrew, giladmttw posted the solution ... all we need is set a correct value for

For me w="250" works for 6 icons on status_bar ... menu works

VulcanRidr
2010-02-09, 15:49
Hey Andrew,

Sorry I haven't been around for a bit. New job, constantly commuting and what not...Did you ever release a blue version of your Freemantle for Diablo theme?

maluka
2010-02-21, 21:25
The download link for this theme no longer works.

Jaygo333
2010-05-03, 02:42
Has there been any update to this theme hack>?

Addison
2010-05-13, 03:54

<!--
</button>
-->
</button>

Hey Gilad!

If I delete the following from /home/user/.osso/hildon-desktop/desktop.conf
[Tasknavigator]
X-Type=panel_box
X-Position-X=0
X-Position-Y=0
X-Size-Width=480
X-Size-Height=80
X-Orientation=left
X-UI-Policy=libtasknavigatorpolicy.so
X-Is-Ordered=1
X-Config-File=tasknavigator.conf
X-Plugin-Dir=/usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator

and then changed /usr/share/themes/NuvoClear2/matchbox/theme.xml
to your numbers, will that be safe for me to try?

I want to experiment with this but I'd really hate to goose my tablet by making a silly mistake.

Also, is there any type of safety check that can be done before seeing the new layout changes when trying out different numbers? Like do some of these certain variables have to add up to a specific number or else the tablet will be stuck in an endless reboot?

Hope I made sense. :)

giladmttw
2010-05-21, 18:59
Hey Gilad!

If I delete the following from /home/user/.osso/hildon-desktop/desktop.conf
[Tasknavigator]
X-Type=panel_box
X-Position-X=0
X-Position-Y=0
X-Size-Width=480
X-Size-Height=80
X-Orientation=left
X-UI-Policy=libtasknavigatorpolicy.so
X-Is-Ordered=1
X-Config-File=tasknavigator.conf
X-Plugin-Dir=/usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator

and then changed /usr/share/themes/NuvoClear2/matchbox/theme.xml
to your numbers, will that be safe for me to try?

I want to experiment with this but I'd really hate to goose my tablet by making a silly mistake.

Also, is there any type of safety check that can be done before seeing the new layout changes when trying out different numbers? Like do some of these certain variables have to add up to a specific number or else the tablet will be stuck in an endless reboot?

Hope I made sense. :)

Sorry for the late response, just saw your post.
There is no way to preview a faulty theme. it will crash the desktop again and again. I boot from SD so it's easy to take the card out, mount on linux, and change back.
I tried the canges you asked. It is safe but doesn't look good. nuvoclear2 has titlebar made for status bar in it's regular place, and the pixmap for the close button is the regular, small size.
The 'next' button is gone :(

tuliobaars
2010-06-07, 01:09
Hey People!

How can I make the engine/application switcher disappear? Like some screenshots around maemo.org ???

And is there a way to have at least 2 Different desktops on N810?

Thanks for all

cutehunk04
2010-08-09, 08:16
can anyone say... is this theme for n900 or for N800 can we use this theme for n900 n hav anyone tried it or not ...?? pls leave ur feedback...

thanks