PDA

View Full Version : Truly audiophile mobile listening?

atlantic
2009-10-04, 20:03
Hi,

Will the N900 USB host mode enable a bit-perfect LPCM audio output through USB, as long as supporting software exists?

If so, this would open possibilities for truly audiophile mobile playback. You could output lossless bit-perfect LPCM data into a portable DAC+amplifier such as http://www.leckertonaudio.com/ and others.

One problem is the fact that many mobile USB DAC amplifiers recharge via USB, which would drain N900's battery but I suppose you could just cut the wire providing the 5V...or?

Thanks

Hogwash
2009-10-04, 20:07
The N900 does not have USB host mode, apparently

mikec
2009-10-04, 20:12
Not quiet what you were thinking of but I recently tried out the new Nokia BH-905 bluetooth headphones. These just blew me away and that was with 320Kbit MP3s streamed from my E71.

Nice Warm sound , but with plenty of crisp detail, a bit like listening to my electrostatics in the lack of coloration.

The DACS in the BH-905s are wolfson DACS, and the batteries on board drive the headphones like a high quality headphone AMP. I would love to try them with FLAC files.

As a bonus they have funky new noise cancelation.

These will be my next purchase once the N900 has been paid off

If you dont like headphones you might try out this bluetooth DAC
from Chord

http://a2dp.info/Adapters/Chordette-Gem-Bluetooth-DAC.html

Mike C

atlantic
2009-10-04, 20:23
I have tested bluetooth solutions and it only takes a few seconds to notice how awful they are if high fidelity is one's goal.

Audio reproduction and perception is a highly subjective matter so please don't make this a flame war.

shadowjk
2009-10-04, 20:53
bluetooth uses lossy compression for audio, you probably lose some dynamic range there, but im not too familiar with the codec used.

atlantic
2009-10-09, 09:59
Hogwash,

According to what sources? Please make such claims only on good grounds.

For example my-symbian states that so far there has only been speculation on the matter:

"Possibilities include, but are not limited to, enabling USB host mode (not quite certain at the moment; there are speculations that it won't be possible on the N900 due to some hardware specs)"

So, if USB host mode is possible in N900, would bit-perfect LPCM output be possible with supporting application?

Thank you

ossipena
2009-10-09, 10:01
Hogwash,

According to what sources? Please make such claims only on good grounds.

For example my-symbian states that so far there has only been speculation on the matter:

"Possibilities include, but are not limited to, enabling USB host mode (not quite certain at the moment; there are speculations that it won't be possible on the N900 due to some hardware specs)"

So, if USB host mode is possible in N900, would bit-perfect LPCM output be possible with supporting application?

Thank you
there's a long thread about usb host mode and for now it seems that host mode is impossible/next to impossible.