PDA

View Full Version : My Contribution: Designing icons, themes, or buttons.

adem3311
2009-10-09, 00:46
If anyone's making an app and they want nice looking graphics for it contact me. I'll do all the graphics for free (I don't do logos).

My designs are modern and have a 3D feel. I don't use a lot of lime green or bright red, I tend to stay with darker shades of blue and glossy black effects.

I'm currently working on a theme for Maemo 4 which takes the best layouts form the itouch and windows mobile and combines them so if anyone wants to help with that I will appreciate it. (Someone please tell me how I can start a project at the maemo garage or I'll just set up a forum for my projects where anyone can donate.)

I'd like to make a calculator with really nice buttons and a really nice 'screen'. If anyone can do the programming and I can do the graphics that'll be great.

andrewfblack
2009-10-09, 02:07
You need to register a garage account first

puelocesar
2009-10-09, 17:36
If anyone's making an app and they want nice looking graphics for it contact me. I'll do all the graphics for free (I don't do logos).

My designs are modern and have a 3D feel. I don't use a lot of lime green or bright red, I tend to stay with darker shades of blue and glossy black effects.

I'm currently working on a theme for Maemo 4 which takes the best layouts form the itouch and windows mobile and combines them so if anyone wants to help with that I will appreciate it. (Someone please tell me how I can start a project at the maemo garage or I'll just set up a forum for my projects where anyone can donate.)

I'd like to make a calculator with really nice buttons and a really nice 'screen'. If anyone can do the programming and I can do the graphics that'll be great.

Make some sketches of your idea for the calculator, and I think I can help, as i'm a programmer.

Good luck with the theme, I would love to change the default one, just can't find any other as polished :)

Addison
2009-10-09, 17:51
I wouldn't mind some nice coloring and shading done for a few of the Xkbd keyboard layouts I put together.

I think that us N800 users would find that to be really nice.

I believe each key would need to be made using Corel so it might not be that difficult to do.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=218041

adem3311
2009-10-09, 21:45
You need to register a garage account first

I already did :) Just can't find how to make one.

I'll give you all my on screen n810 keyboard design so you can make it work in the n800 theme.

yerga
2009-10-11, 16:46

If you're still interested in helping out, I'd need some icons for my application.

It would be something similar to the ones in this screenshot: http://wiki.maemo.org/Image:Mediaplayer.png
I mean the same function, it isn't necessary the same style and colors that them.

It's for the initial screen of Maemo WordPy, a blogging client, so instead of Music, Video, etc, the buttons would be "Create post", "Manage posts", "Manage settings" and "Upload photos".

The only condition is that they should be nice-looking in dark backgrounds because in Maemo 5 generally there are dark themes.

Please, tell me if you're interested in it.

joshua.maverick
2009-10-12, 06:09
I'm interested and I'd love to help out.

joppu
2009-10-12, 06:12
I'm interested and I'd love to help out.

But the request was directed at the other guy?

joshua.maverick
2009-10-12, 06:17
But the request was directed at the other guy?

lol dude you really have it out for me since the Xournal icons eh?

Come on dude. It's an open source community. I want all the apps that are released to look their best, whether myself or anyone else happens to design elements for them.

My belief is that if anybody wants to contribute and help out, the more the better, and may the best work get chosen, so that apps can look their best.

And I enjoy designing and exercising my skills.

I'm going to work on designing a new attitude for you big guy. :cool:

joppu
2009-10-12, 08:05
I think the problem here is, that this is the other guy's thread and he wants to help people by designing graphics. I really think it's a bit of rude of you to pop up here shouting "I'll do it, I'll do it". Perhaps you should have PM'd yerga instead? Since people here hinted you: "take the iniative", you are always jumping at change if there is something related to graphics design.

I want all the apps that are released to look their best, whether myself or anyone else happens to design elements for them.

My belief is that if anybody wants to contribute and help out, the more the better, and may the best work get chosen, so that apps can look their best.

Sure you do, if you jump at the every chance before anyone you surely will be able to make them look best. I know you work in your fancy company and can do photoshop stuff professionally. If someone manages to do something better than you, no problem, you can just use your farly superior photoshop skills to beat them.

And I enjoy designing and exercising my skills.:

Yeah, who doesn't?

I'm going to work on designing a new attitude for you big guy. :cool:

What? So it's my attitude now? Also, are you suggesting that I don't know anything FOSS community?

kalle
2009-10-12, 08:26
I think the problem here is, that this is the other guy's thread and he wants to help people by designing graphics. I really think it's a bit of rude of you to pop up here shouting "I'll do it, I'll do it"

This is an open forum. Everyone can contribute - It's about members getting together. You don't even know if adem3311 and joshua end up doing this in collaboration? And the result ends up being better than neither of them could have done alone?

I think that the graphic/icon designing is a common problem. But many times the need are quite similar: open/close/delete/move etc. It would be a good idea to build an image -bank in the development area? I think that would be a great help for many coders and would help to speed up releasing new software.

yerga
2009-10-12, 11:22
Hey, please don't fight :(

I replied here because I saw the OP would like to contribute some graphics and I need it, and nobody had asking for help.

I don't mind if the OP or other designer make the work, to be fair let's to wait until the OP say if is interested or not.

The next time I need some designer (for sure I'll do) I'll open a new thread and will be a first-come first-served basis ;-)

GilesyNokia
2009-10-12, 11:51
Hi Guys has anyone created a theme for N900/Maemo 5 that I can download and use on my device?

Cheers

joppu
2009-10-12, 13:41
Hi Guys has anyone created a theme for N900/Maemo 5 that I can download and use on my device?

Cheers

I am currently working on 2 themes,

9x (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32584)
http://imgkk.com/i/E1DLVW.png
HiTech (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32195)
http://imgkk.com/i/c74hk4.png

If you want a (probably a bit buggy) test version, I can share the .deb with you.

joshua.maverick
2009-10-12, 14:26
I think the problem here is, that this is the other guy's thread and he wants to help people by designing graphics. I really think it's a bit of rude of you to pop up here shouting "I'll do it, I'll do it". Perhaps you should have PM'd yerga instead? Since people here hinted you: "take the iniative", you are always jumping at change if there is something related to graphics design.

Sure you do, if you jump at the every chance before anyone you surely will be able to make them look best. I know you work in your fancy company and can do photoshop stuff professionally. If someone manages to do something better than you, no problem, you can just use your farly superior photoshop skills to beat them.

Yeah, who doesn't?

What? So it's my attitude now? Also, are you suggesting that I don't know anything FOSS community?

The last part of my comment was uncalled for, although I did intend it to be a joke.

I did not say "I'll do it, I'll do it."

I didn't see anything wrong with offering help, or wanting to help.

I apologize to the OP if I stepped out of line, or came across rude.

I don't want to "beat" anyone, I just really want to contribute, and I want everything to look as good as possible, whether my work is selected or not.

I'm no master at photoshop either, my firm is small, and I actually don't do much design "professionally." I'm the "self appointed" Interactive Director/Partner and I only launched a couple of years ago. I was looking at this community as a place that I could work on design for free and receive criticism of my work. I also hoped to learn from other individuals design skills, and see what they are doing right and wrong.

My apologies again to the OP, and yourself if I hurt your feeling over this. Thanks for the alternative perspective, though I'm not sure if I feel it is correct.

joshua.maverick
2009-10-12, 14:27
This is an open forum. Everyone can contribute - It's about members getting together. You don't even know if adem3311 and joshua end up doing this in collaboration? And the result ends up being better than neither of them could have done alone?

I think that the graphic/icon designing is a common problem. But many times the need are quite similar: open/close/delete/move etc. It would be a good idea to build an image -bank in the development area? I think that would be a great help for many coders and would help to speed up releasing new software.

This is my belief, I really didn't see myself as doing anything wrong.

joshua.maverick
2009-10-12, 14:30
Hey, please don't fight :(

I replied here because I saw the OP would like to contribute some graphics and I need it, and nobody had asking for help.

I don't mind if the OP or other designer make the work, to be fair let's to wait until the OP say if is interested or not.

The next time I need some designer (for sure I'll do) I'll open a new thread and will be a first-come first-served basis ;-)

If that's how you want to handle it, that sounds good to me. Though, I do believe that being a community, we should always be getting multiple ideas and designs to ensure that the apps that come out, enter the world with the best look possible. But it is your app, so I'll wait for your go ahead to take a crack at it.