PDA

View Full Version : Modest and IMAP

Ovek
2009-10-11, 20:24
After playing with the final SDK to test some development (QT ftw!!) stuff... anyway it gave me chance to test to see if the quite frankly 'odd' implementation of IMAP had been fixed in modest.

It's not... it's still storing sent and draft emails locally and thus defeating the entire point of IMAP in the first place :rolleyes: Is the version available to the SDK older than the one loaded on the N900?

I only ask because as you can see on the brainstorm page http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/keep_sent_and_drafts_on_imap_server/ Quim states that this should be "a integral part of the official email client" and "This should be part of the official release". I suppose the magic word in that statement is *should* ;)

Any official word of this being fixed or otherwise?

Reggie
2009-10-15, 13:38
I would like to echo this sentiment as well. Modest is still somewhat flaky. I know Tim asked a question about IMAP implementation on Modest but can't remember what was said.

Anyway here are my main qualms with Modest:

Emails are stored locally, which is fine but not synced to the mail server as how IMAP should. Deleting email on the N900 won't delete the same email at the server and vise versa.
Intermittent deletes. Sometimes you can delete an email, but most of the time it remains undeleted even after saying 'Yes' on the delete prompt.
Extra delete prompt not necessary. Another way to delete an email is, on the email listing screen, hold down on the email and a pop-up menu will open. Pressing delete will ask for verification again if you would like to delete the mail. I don't think the verification is necessary.
There is no way to mark and delete multiple emails.
Clicking on the yellow new email notification window, when you only have one new email, opens up that email immediately. I'm not sure why the delete icon below is grayed out.

I need to add these to bugzilla...

lma
2009-10-16, 00:56
There is no way to mark and delete multiple emails.

Tap the menu bar, tap Delete messages, select the ones you want gone and tap Delete.

Reggie
2009-10-16, 00:59
Tap the menu bar, tap Delete messages, select the ones you want gone and tap Delete.

Ah thanks! Now, only if the messages would actually get deleted...

ruskie
2009-10-16, 06:18
Probably why I'll just have an imap notification thingy around(or actually already have one through a jabber transport) and then use ssh to connect to my running alpine instance.

Andre Klapper
2009-10-16, 14:43
it's still storing sent and draft emails locally

Feel free to vote for http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/keep_sent_and_drafts_on_imap_server/

stever
2009-10-18, 19:23
Does the built in client cope with the rest of IMAP ok? i.e. marking messages as read on the server, moving mails between folders on the server etc.

The standard email client on the e90 is a very poor IMAP implementation and I was hoping for something better on the n900

Bundyo
2009-10-18, 20:29
Ah thanks! Now, only if the messages would actually get deleted...

They get deleted and moved... only not always. :)

tso
2009-10-18, 20:51
They get deleted and moved... only not always. :)

i suspect that modest still have the behavior i observed during maemo4, that it will only truly delete a mail if you force a sync with the server after you have deleted it locally.

sure, its supposed to do so upon closing, but modest at least used to have trouble staying closed (instead showing up as a background process), and if then killed, would have the "deleted mails" magically reappear upon being started again.

basically i have developed the habit of hitting the sync icon after deleting a mail...

chemist
2009-10-20, 13:40
basically i have developed the habit of hitting the sync icon after deleting a mail...

from mutt I am used to "$", cant wait to have emails disappear if I delete them :D

Flandry
2009-10-20, 14:00
"Fixed in Harmattan"

Grrr

Tomaszd
2009-10-20, 20:08
Have any of you tried using modest with IMAP and Gmail, with about 10000 e-mails? I'm not sure if I should complain or not, but modest absolutely dies with this amount of e-mail. I can't do anything in my inbox. It does load, but then does not react to scrolling the list, and just pops up the message that the program became unpresponsive, would I like to close it. I had to fall back to webmail on the N810, I was hoping wouldn't need to on the N900.

lma
2009-10-20, 21:13
Have any of you tried using modest with IMAP and Gmail, with about 10000 e-mails? I'm not sure if I should complain or not, but modest absolutely dies with this amount of e-mail. I can't do anything in my inbox. It does load, but then does not react to scrolling the list, and just pops up the message that the program became unpresponsive, would I like to close it.

Would you mind updating bug 3762 (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3762) with your findings?

mikec
2009-10-20, 21:29
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is Modest the email client for Mail for Exchange?
or does MfE have its own client?

Mike C

thenokiablog
2009-10-21, 05:08
Have any of you tried using modest with IMAP and Gmail, with about 10000 e-mails? I'm not sure if I should complain or not, but modest absolutely dies with this amount of e-mail. I can't do anything in my inbox. It does load, but then does not react to scrolling the list, and just pops up the message that the program became unpresponsive, would I like to close it. I had to fall back to webmail on the N810, I was hoping wouldn't need to on the N900.

I also have this exact same problem on the Nokia N900 using Gmail. My workaround was to use Nokia Messaging instead. I think it only grabs the last 3 days of emails instead of all the 10,000.

Tomaszd
2009-10-21, 18:13
I also have this exact same problem on the Nokia N900 using Gmail. My workaround was to use Nokia Messaging instead. I think it only grabs the last 3 days of emails instead of all the 10,000.

You should not have to do this, please comment on bug 3762 (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3762).

vitaly_repin
2009-11-24, 20:38
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is Modest the email client for Mail for Exchange?
or does MfE have its own client?

Mike C

Modest is e-mail client for MfE.

Andre Klapper
2009-11-25, 07:40
Well, partially true. :-)
Modest is the email application in Maemo 4.1 and Maemo 5. It does handle IMAP and POP, and in Maemo 5 also MfE.

vitaly_repin
2009-11-25, 10:04
Well, partially true. :-)
Modest is the email application in Maemo 4.1 and Maemo 5. It does handle IMAP and POP, and in Maemo 5 also MfE.

Let me be more specific. Modest is Maemo e-mail client. It has plugin subsystem which can be used to support not built-in email protocols. MfE is such kind of protocol from modest PoV.

So, in order to integrate MfE and modest, modest plugin and camel provider were developed. But this is only integration stuff. Nothing more. No additional e-mail client has been developed by MfE for maemo. System-wide client is used which is modest.

mikec
2009-11-25, 10:14
Let me be more specific. Modest is Maemo e-mail client. It has plugin subsystem which can be used to support not built-in email protocols. MfE is such kind of protocol from modest PoV.

So, in order to integrate MfE and modest, modest plugin and camel provider were developed. But this is only integration stuff. Nothing more. No additional e-mail client has been developed by MfE for maemo. System-wide client is used which is modest.

Many Thanks, looks like the big inbox bug has also been fixed and hopefully will make its way to firmware release for nice Xmas present for device owners.:)

Dongle Fongle
2015-05-05, 13:27
Is it anno 2015 possible to change imap sent folder from local to server?

pichlo
2015-05-05, 13:42
Is it anno 2015 possible to change imap sent folder from local to server?

Yes. Although only manually (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1361296#post1361296) ATM.