PDA

View Full Version : [Sandbox] Brainstorm: maemo.org visitor routing/referral

Texrat
2009-10-14, 16:48
Please check out the following new Brainstorm idea:

http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/routing_visitors_to_useful_resources/

Abstract:

A recurring theme in Talk that won't go away is quickly getting visitors, particularly newcomers, to resources they require. Too often the questions are misplaced and interrupt the regular flow. This is especially frustrating when the same questions recur at high frequency.

I believe we need to look at not only the conventional ideas but also the unconventional.

I have proposed one solution so far, called Maemo Greeters, which I believe has potential. Additional solutions are of course very welcome.

Please comment on the idea at the actual Brainstorm page.

Thanks!

RevdKathy
2009-10-15, 06:51
Right now, I'm a rank n00b myself. But this is a role I'd like to voluteer for in due course. I'm pretty quick to learn and a natural "people" person, and good at explaining things in plain Englidh The reason I'm not welcoming newcomers right now is that it seems cheeky when I've not been here a fortnight myself. I'm happy to hand-hold people through scary things obver the intermet (like reflashing a brick, when we get the factory image)

The other advantage is that I'm not a developer, so you wouldn't be taking time from someone who could be better used elsewhere. This could be something I could contribute to the community (other than my amazing wit and stunning good looks... )

ysss
2009-10-15, 07:00
Kathy, I think it would be great if you could document what you're going through through this learning\exploration\discovery process from your 'new to maemo' viewpoint, as what has been seen cannot be unseen...

Just a thought :)

ps: voted the brainstorm

CrashandDie
2009-10-15, 09:18
Right now, I'm a rank n00b myself. But this is a role I'd like to voluteer for in due course. I'm pretty quick to learn and a natural "people" person, and good at explaining things in plain Englidh The reason I'm not welcoming newcomers right now is that it seems cheeky when I've not been here a fortnight myself. I'm happy to hand-hold people through scary things obver the intermet (like reflashing a brick, when we get the factory image)

The other advantage is that I'm not a developer, so you wouldn't be taking time from someone who could be better used elsewhere. This could be something I could contribute to the community (other than my amazing wit and stunning good looks... )

The the impotence of spoofreading.

Just double check your post for spelling mistakes, especially when you're going to gloat about your "Englidh" level. Also, I don't think anyone is taking time as you put it. We merely accept effort offered to us.

ossipena
2009-10-15, 10:32

could you please take notes every time something is bothering your mind. I'd love to have a list from you so I would have better streetmap to start creating stuff to wiki. that's one (very good!) way to contribute.

if you decide to do a list, could you PM it to me or look at my profile for email address (i'll add it right away)
e: i can't add the email and i dont want to shout it loud. so send PM if needed.

RevdKathy
2009-10-15, 16:52
The the impotence of spoofreading.

Just double check your post for spelling mistakes, especially when you're going to gloat about your "Englidh" level. Also, I don't think anyone is taking time as you put it. We merely accept effort offered to us.

I'm sorry all you saw in my post was a typo. You may not be aware how incredibly daunting this site is to anyone to whom the huge amount of jargon and technical detail is incomprehensible. Far from 'gloating' about plain english, I am very aware how 'unplain' most of the posts around here are. As a non-tech, I am completely out of my depth. As such, I do actually relate to the people this thread was about.

The point about 'taking' time is that I'm conscious of the huge amount of volunteer time people have put into this project. It seems to me poor time management for someone with development skills to be hand-holding newbies if a non-developer can do it.

But if that's how you prefer it, I'll withdraw my offer.

I hope there are no typos in this post: my eyesight is less than perfect.

Suurorca
2009-10-15, 17:03
...and here I thought it was intentional "cute" typo :cool:

However, being provoked so easily, I fear I have to question the "people person" part...

Still, I agree the site needs to become more "Joe The Plummer" -friendly, so anything is welcome.

Texrat
2009-10-15, 17:10
But if that's how you prefer it, I'll withdraw my offer.

Please don't. Responses can often be unduly harsh (/me thwacks CrashandDie) but that type rarely represents the norm.

ysss
2009-10-15, 17:11
Perhaps it would make more sense to partition the site and create an all new 'areas' for the uninitiated.

Those who are interested in developing for the platform or rabid fans who are interested to learn more about maemo community shouldn't have much problem finding their way here anyway. But most of the content here may not be newbie-oriented to interest them (or to interest those who posts here to explain what they're talking about to the new ppl on their every other posts).

RevdKathy
2009-10-15, 17:13
...and here I thought it was intentional "cute" typo :cool:

However, being provoked so easily, I fear I have to question the "people person" part...

Still, I agree the site needs to become more "Joe The Plummer" -friendly, so anything is welcome.

No, it was a typo, plain and simple. I'm a very ordinary human and prone to imperfections. My eyesight is deteriorating alarmingly, which is a bit of a sore subject. That and the fact that I was dashing out to work meant I didn't triple check my post.

People persons are usually quite sensitive - that's why we can understand how others feel. ;) Throwing back an offer out of hand really wasn't very kind, especially not in a thread that was about how to make people feel more welcome.

Maybe what this place needs is a sister site for Joe the Plumber, where he (or she) can ask basic questions in less than perfect grammar without having threads become full of technicality.

Texrat
2009-10-15, 17:13
I really appreciate the current engagement on this proposal, and especially the 2 new solutions added. Please vote and comment on the actual Brainstorm items (http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/routing_visitors_to_useful_resources/), thanks!

Suurorca
2009-10-15, 17:28
Indeed. And I do apologise for being an insensitive clot. And I must say I myself owe a lot to firefox automated spell check. :p

Anyway, this greeting business is more than just a bit tricky. Earlier, I used to be huge linux advocate. However, I quit after having had enough of all the midnight support request calls "How do I...". Well, you get the picture. :)

The way I see it, with other platforms, the answer to questions like this is usually "You don't", while with linux it tends to be url to some forum post with 10 pages of tech jargon. So I guess what we need is to combine some of the above ideas, to create a jargon-free section of the forum (or maybe some other, independent medium?) with suitable volunteers. People who can offer help in some understandable format.

Now, I might want to contribute something to the brainstorm, but as a poor helpless n00b myself I find the place quite intimidating ...and why does it need separate login *sigh*

Texrat
2009-10-15, 17:33
Thanks Suurorca.

Note that my original solution can actually be very passive. Simply including the ID (Greeter, Guide, what-have-you) followed by 1 or 3 helpful routing links in a signature offers an extremely easy way of directing people. A greeter need not even post that often, just enough to show up in threads here and there... and the more greeters the better.

RevdKathy
2009-10-15, 17:37
Now, I might want to contribute something to the brainstorm, but as a poor helpless n00b myself I find the place quite intimidating ...and why does it need separate login *sigh*

If you are ready to post to the brainstorm, you're waay ahead of me. The place scares me!

I do think a 'jargon-free' area might be a good plan. And I still believe that looking after it might be a good way that people like me (who speak latin, theology-speak and moderate healthcare jargon but not a single word of c++) can contribute something to the community. Isn't part of the point of open source that it can use whatever skills people have? Or I could come round to everyone's house and make coffee while you code?

Suurorca
2009-10-15, 17:41
That would certainly be an improvement, yes. I'm just musing if we ought to go a step farther..

Texrat
2009-10-15, 17:47
I don't actually agree with making any aspect of this site "jargon free" or even adding entire sections dedicated to casual users-- BUT I do agree we can significantly improve the routing of visitors to sections or even alternative sites more conducive to their needs-- hence this Brainstorm proposal.

I realize creating another account is a pain (there is a project in work for single sign on) but I urge everyone to make the effort and contribute to Brainstorm items directly rather than limiting involvement to discussions like this one.

Suurorca
2009-10-15, 18:07
Well, I do not code, but I'd appreciate that cup of coffee :)

Contributing as a non-coder really doesn't feel too easy. Another barrier we want to tacle?

Texrat
2009-10-15, 18:45
Contributing as a non-coder really doesn't feel too easy. Another barrier we want to tacle?

There's no real barrier. Consider that aside from coding, ANY user can step up to testing, idea generation/contribution, organizational improvements, etc.

Suurorca
2009-10-15, 18:56
Technically, perhaps. Reality, however is slightly different. Communities that exist for some specific purpose are usually dominated by certain type of people. The social barrier can appear to be impassable.

Texrat
2009-10-15, 19:20
Technically, perhaps. Reality, however is slightly different. Communities that exist for some specific purpose are usually dominated by certain type of people. The social barrier can appear to be impassable.

Understood, but then, that is natural and normal and tends to filter accordingly.

Personally I have no problem at all with this site being power-user dominated. Nothing prevents other sites from springing up to fill additional niches. Our challenge here, again, is to route people appropriately and engage those who feel led to further their involvement beyond casual use.

Suurorca
2009-10-15, 19:29
Understood, but then, that is natural and normal and tends to filter accordingly.

Personally I have no problem at all with this site being power-user dominated. Nothing prevents other sites from springing up to fill additional niches. Our challenge here, again, is to route people appropriately and engage those who feel led to further their involvement beyond casual use.

After some more thought, perhaps you are right. It might be better to have another portal entirely for the "easy stuff" and us having routing here...

I'll vote on the brainstorm as soon as I'll manage to convince it I'm me (sign-up confirmation doesn't work, lol..)

RevdKathy
2009-10-17, 10:56
Kathy, I think it would be great if you could document what you're going through through this learning\exploration\discovery process from your 'new to maemo' viewpoint, as what has been seen cannot be unseen...

Just a thought :)

ps: voted the brainstorm

Reflection on the first fortnight (http://revdkathy.livejournal.com/). I'll try to blog a bit more regularly in the next few weeks, too, if it's any help.

RevdKathy
2009-10-24, 09:35
Dragging this one up to say I blogged on my third week of being/not being maemo, here (http://revdkathy.livejournal.com/) for anyone who cares.

Rushmore
2009-10-27, 14:17
Since the N900 is going to be what floods this site with new people, I suggest some form of N900 centric channel for whatever is decided upon and handling newbies. Perhaps the N900 delay is a blessing in disguise?

Only a few weeks to act! :eek:

smarsh
2009-10-27, 14:27
Put up my idea re routing the user to a greeter if they post an obvious newbie question (please vote!) - the advantages of which are that no additional effort is required on part of newbie, and very little on part of 'bouncer' while a friendly greeter can get karma for helping.

Like Kathy, I'd be interested in helping out on that and other newbie-related stuff. I'm not new, but I'd like to think I can connect with those who are because I maintain my childlike outlook :)

Rushmore, you're right, the inflow has already started I think, so time is important.

Texrat
2009-10-28, 01:08
New solution added! Please vote!

Texrat
2009-11-01, 14:45
Solutions 1 and 3 have 9 votes apiece, and I'm ready to move forward with those two at least.

For #1 (Maemo Greeters) I will consult the council and Reggie and see what makes sense. This one is extremely easy to implement and we have at least a few people willing to pilot. I am leaning toward the original name of Maemo Greeters based on recent dialog on the subject.

For #3 (wiki page) there is a lot of scattered activity there that is starting to pull together. JosefA has done an admirable job on a demo for a new Intro page (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=362928&postcount=18) and that's a good start. Please comment on his and smarsh's work in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33577

Thanks all for your contributions, and please vote for any or all of the current Solutions if you have not yet done so, or add new ones if an idea occurs!

http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/routing_visitors_to_useful_resources/

Texrat
2009-11-04, 16:47
I will soon be proceeding with a Maemo Greeters pilot, and as noted the wiki work is ongoing. I'd like a Brainstorm moderator to move these solutions forward, thanks (I understand if that's difficult now-- I'm having a horrible time just pulling the page up).

Proposed Maemo Greeter signature:

Hi! I'm a Maemo Greeter!

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28834), New users start here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32513), Community subforum (http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16), Beginners' wiki page (http://wiki.maemo.org/Category:Beginners), Maemo5 101 (http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=Maemo5_101), Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions)

If I can help with anything else, just ask! :)