PDA

View Full Version : MMS as email for guys who got one of those 300 Phones

somedude
2009-10-16, 20:24
Here is a quick question for you guys who have the N900 right now.
What does phone do if somebody will send you an email containing picture on your phone numbers email;
for eg if i sent and email to your phone and you are with tmobile and your number is 555-555-5555, on the (To: ) i put 5555555555@tmomail.net do you receive that picture or you just get a link to go to see the picture i sent you?

christexaport
2009-10-16, 23:29
I think they should get an SMS, but not sure. Good question. I used to use that workaround on the PC, but don't know how a user can access that email addy without an MMS client on device. Maybe someone will figure that part out.

somedude
2009-10-17, 01:35
i would love to send some that way even if i would not receive them.
wow 300 of them and 1 reply from the person who doesnot have it?

Hogwash
2009-10-17, 01:38
He is lacking far more than an N900

sjgadsby
2009-10-17, 01:53

I'd be interested to try, but my current SIM and provider aren't compatible with the N900. It'd be an excuse to play with MMS though, having never sent or received such a message on any phone. If I get a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM, I'll be happy to have a go.

zerojay
2009-10-17, 01:54
I'd be more than happy to test it with you except my provider does not offer e-mail in the same way TMO does, sorry.

christexaport
2009-10-17, 02:10
I've used the N900, but not my own personal yet. Preorder. But does that mean I can't answer a question or comment on a statement? And call me Chris, not "the only guy without one". I am in the room, you know.

JayOnThaBeat
2009-10-17, 02:13
I've used the N900, but not my own personal yet. Preorder. But does that mean I can't answer a question or comment on a statement? And call me Chris, not "the only guy without one". I am in the room, you know.

"The person who does not have it" != "The only guy without one."

Chill man, you keep reading too much into (and beyond) what people are actually saying here.

Andre Klapper
2009-10-17, 02:43
i would love to send some that way even if i would not receive them.

That's what I'd call impatient.
To answer your question: Just try and send me a message?

allnameswereout
2009-10-17, 02:44
Would this work http://www.mms2web.com/technology.htm it talks about converting MMS to e-mail at the MMSC. There is another MMSC here http://www.nowsms.com so some kind of service which converts a MMS to an e-mail would work, too. Best is if your telco supports this themselves.

somedude
2009-10-17, 05:34
You completely mis-understood me I did not mean to say like that, I was trying to say that out of three hundred people I got first answer from somebody who has not got the phone yet, and by that I did not mean that your answer was worthless, I still appreciate your time on helping me figure this out. Thanks Chris.

Thank you for all the guys who gave their time to even answer my question

Would this work http://www.mms2web.com/technology.htm it talks about converting MMS to e-mail at the MMSC. There is another MMSC here http://www.nowsms.com so some kind of service which converts a MMS to an e-mail would work, too. Best is if your telco supports this themselves.

I will try this after I get mine but I tried with my regular Tmobile recession phone and it did. I will bookmark that thank you.

That's what I'd call impatient.
To answer your question: Just try and send me a message?

Yeah I was sleeping when God was passing out PATIENCE, so I got none.
whats your number?222-222-2222??;)

Chill man, you keep reading too much into (and beyond) what people are actually saying here.

Thanks for clearing that out for me, before I got back to my computer.

christexaport
2009-10-17, 18:54

I was talking to somedude, not Jay.

And thanks, somedude. I'm a little sensitive today. Gotta get a thicker skin...

If the solution works on the N900, can the process be bundled into some sort of platform hack so we'll have pseudo MMS capabilities like other phones? I'd love to write an article on how the community added MMS in x days without help from Nokia. It'd really show the agility and openness of Maemo if it could be done.

Keeping my eye on this thing...

christexaport
2009-10-17, 18:57
MMS is basically a custom email solution with attachment and size constraints. I regularly send short text emails to MMS boxes on TMobileUSA.

frals
2009-10-17, 19:01
On the topic of hacking MMS support, there is a discussion about it at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32129, feel free to contribute. ;)

EDIT: Reply was for chris and keeping an eye on MMS support by the community, I do realise the implementation mostly talked about in the thread I linked is different from sending via an MMS-webservice.

somedude
2009-10-21, 00:49
so anybody tried it yet?

christexaport
2009-10-21, 01:30
On the topic of hacking MMS support, there is a discussion about it at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32129, feel free to contribute. ;)

EDIT: Reply was for chris and keeping an eye on MMS support by the community, I do realise the implementation mostly talked about in the thread I linked is different from sending via an MMS-webservice.

I've contacted a Symbian dev that made an email to MMS app, but he was using the MMS facility built into the OS. Not sure how to attack this thing.

somedude
2009-12-25, 08:09
Had been intensely looking and trying on this but seems like if somebody send me a picture message it is more like blocked from the N900 or even when somebody sends me an email with my number like 15555555555@tmomail.net that is blocked too. any progress on the MMS guys? I checked the old MMS thread and that is pretty much dead too.

Am I the only one; who cares for the MMS still?

erneyone
2009-12-30, 21:17
i care! we should all chant MMS MMS mms mms Horay! :D :D :D :eek:

bandora
2009-12-30, 21:31
Tried it.. doesn't work.. I can't send nor recieve here.. Sorry

waleed786
2009-12-31, 03:45
Here is a quick question for you guys who have the N900 right now.
What does phone do if somebody will send you an email containing picture on your phone numbers email;
for eg if i sent and email to your phone and you are with tmobile and your number is 555-555-5555, on the (To: ) i put 5555555555@tmomail.net do you receive that picture or you just get a link to go to see the picture i sent you?

If your talking about tmobile usa, then the message will be recieved as an sms if the email is text-only and has less than 100 characters. If it has a pic with it or is more than 100 characters in length, then it will received as an mms.
EDIT: Obviously n900 cannot receive mms so the message cant be seen on the n900 (but if you switch your SIM card to an mms-compatible phone within the billing cycle, the message will be received on that phone. Of course, all this only applies if you have mms enabled on you tmobile account.