PDA

View Full Version : [Proposal] adding "maemo" message within mail or facebook sharing

bbns
2009-10-22, 06:18
I have tested around the apps recently. Everything works quite well but just realized the some applications do not fully utilize the marketing strategy.

Look at iPhone / iPod, they tags their message everywhere. Why Maemo could not do the same?

"photo sharing via Maemo" on facebook, or "sent from Maemo" will be great. Otherwise my friends read about the photo, they probably will think it's another Samsung phone.

Should I file this in bugzilla?

-YT

RevdKathy
2009-10-22, 07:12
I notice that tweets do indicate 'sent from mauku' which is a start. But yes, most photo sites are able to read from the photo what it was taken on... be good if maemo could do that.

benny1967
2009-10-22, 07:34
In fact, the "sent from an iPhone" thing is something a find very, very scary when I receive mail from the one person who actually sends me mails from this device.

It's like greeting a friend with "Hi, how are you? I wear Calvin Klein underwear today. - Do you have time for a coffee? I wear Calvin Klein underwear today." - Things like these don't help keeping the illusion of mental health and sanity about yourself.

RevdKathy
2009-10-22, 07:37
Many devices have that included as a 'sig' for things like email - but there's nothing to stop you deleting it.

Personally, I quite like it. It tells me whether people tweeting (for example) are at home or away from the house, or even if they've got a new phone. But then, I'm nosy. :p

I'm not sure what sort of phone/device I use is in quite the same category as what underwear I'm wearing (white).

lorelei
2009-10-22, 08:03
My take on that: make it optional.

Personally I don't like tag lines showing the device that has been used for sending, but I can see a use case for that: letting the recipient know that a mobile device has been used to send a message, in order to "excuse" the possibly terse and short message due to the awkwardness of writing a long message with such a device...

develofer
2009-10-22, 08:13
You are right lorelei, but as the original message of this post said, this would be more a marketing strategy to spread Maemo existance and use.

My opinion:
To read that the message was sent from a mobile device is vital.
I'd also go to the "sent via Maemo device" feature.

It would increase the knowledge (maybe only awareness) of the population. And it is possible that more developers become interested in the platform.

Cheers!

codeMonkey
2009-10-22, 08:52
I'm all for the option of adding this - provided there's a tickbox I can uncheck easily.

gecebekcisi
2009-10-22, 08:54
Email signature could be turned on with an appropriate & short (& sexy?) line mentioning Maemo by default.

This should provide enough marketing by users who don't care and an easy way to turn it off for users who care.

Soulfarmer
2009-10-22, 09:17
I wish that if Maemo-text is included it have to be optional. What if a person buying n900 only wants the device and not be an advocate for the Maemo? I don't intend to "spread the word". I hope the device is enough marketing, I don't want to push my choices on people I know. So at least make this optional if anything.

develofer
2009-10-22, 09:37
It is true, I also don't like to "bother" some people with this complementary footers or headers sometimes (such a position in a company and so on). This could make the maemo devices different from the ones that have this feature fixed.

But keep in mind that, the other companies make a huge publicity with such a feature. (See iPhone, Blackberry and also softwares itself like twitterrific, Android).

Who does not have in mind iPhone while surfing the net?You can find something related to it EVERYWHERE.
Even if the iPhone is not the best telephone ever (In fact it is not), I'd dare to say that it is the most famous since this big campaign of advertisements.

So, I see a dilemma here:
Do we want maemo to still being unknown?
(I have to clarify that for developers community it is of course not unknown, but if I ask my father, a normal smartphone user, he would refer to windows mobile or Android)

Or do we want maemo to be known as one of the priorities in the mobile devices...?
(I'd like to ask my father in some months about mobile devices OS and to hear a sweet maemo from him)

Looking forward to hearing your opinions...

Soulfarmer
2009-10-22, 09:50
Who does not have in mind iPhone while surfing the net?You can find something related to it EVERYWHERE.
Even if the iPhone is not the best telephone ever (In fact it is not), I'd dare to say that it is the most famous since this big campaign of advertisements.

Exactly, iphone does a lot of marketing, but in my opinion, word of mouth should be bigger force when people actually buy expensive devices, not marketing via pushed sentiments. I know, marketing is important, but I reckon it is best left for movies and low-price consumer products. I kinda hate how iphone is perceived. The marketing makes it "the best phone there is" but Apple doesn't make it the best there is.

I know N900 should become more known etc to get coverage but it should do so by it's own merits. How much Ferrari ads people see these days?

And, I don't have Iphone in mind when surfing the net, actually every ad that I see despite adblock that has iphone image on it, makes me turn away.

bergie
2009-10-22, 10:12
I notice that tweets do indicate 'sent from mauku' which is a start. But yes, most photo sites are able to read from the photo what it was taken on... be good if maemo could do that.

Photos have the EXIF tag saying that they were taken with N900. See for example this photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bergie/4017323208/):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3489/4017323208_c5a497573a.jpg

Taken with a Nokia N900. :cool:

develofer
2009-10-22, 10:32
You are right about turning away when you see the iPhone ad, but that ad makes its job, and in a very good way. iPhone is in your mind, even if you don't especially like it...

I know is a pity to be one of the most famous phones because of the ad strategy and not because is technically the best, but it is how it works sometimes...

And about Ferrari (I'd rather Aston Martin tough ;)), you are completely right. You don't see any advertisement, everybody knows how reliable and what technology you are getting. But this is after several years of being in the market and creating a big awareness of what Ferrari means to the public.

Remember, maemo is starting... ;)

My opinion is that over all, maemo and Nokia should focus on reliability and good specs in the terminal, but to promote it is not a bad thing for the people who don't really care about the specs of one phone and only want to have a fancy and famous phone. (As I think it was mentioned before)

Nice chat by the way ;)

bbns
2009-10-22, 14:30
My personal opinion holds believe that such 'micro'-advertisement holds important life line of Maemo.

At least it increases the publicity also the potential marketing value.

Personally I do not appreciate Apple's marketing strategy but it works very very very effective, like hypnosis.

dormant
2009-10-22, 14:37
I think "sent from my iPhone" sigs are incredibly annoying and the second-worst feature in Apple marketing. I'd definitely want to not have this on my n900, or at least be able to switch it off.

The worst Apple marketing thing is that stupid lit-up apple logo on the back of the screen. I own a MacBook and I am very tempted to put some gaffer tape over it.

gecebekcisi
2009-10-23, 10:41
I think "sent from my iPhone" sigs are incredibly annoying and the second-worst feature in Apple marketing.

I agree they are quite annoying but there's no good or bad advertisement, since any advertisement would do the job: better recognition