PDA

View Full Version : Macuco - what a great app (Diablo)

Tintin
2009-10-27, 23:48
I've been trying out a new app over the past few days: Macuco ( http://puelocesar.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/macuco-gmail-client-for-maemo/ ).

It's a gmail client that really works well (super smooth scrolling and easy to load, read, etc).

Not sure if the developer is active here but since it's an open sourced program with the code posted, I thought I'd see if anyone was looking at developing this further.

Some ideas after a few days of use:

* Off-line work mode,

* Ability to pre-save accnt name and pwd for multiple gmail accounts and make it easy to switch between them.

* Ability to zoom in and out using the hardware buttons

* Let the menu bar ontop of the screen always stay on screen so that you don't have to scroll to the top every time to access the menu options there

* I can't seem to open hyperlinks in emails.

This is a great app - my thanks to the developer(s)

linuxeventually
2009-10-28, 00:09
It's a nice 'lil browser. Interesting how sites treat you when you set your user-agent to that of the iphone.

Here's a hint, after logging into gmail>Top tool bar>More>Web. Brings you to google.com, type in URL and google will let you go the URL. Huzzah.

As someone with many accounts, an easy way to sign into them all would be much appreciated (I already have a python script to check numerical values; also used to use gmail manager Firefox extension).

puelocesar
2009-10-28, 00:53
Man, now I'm getting emotional :D

Hey, it's my very first open source app, so I'm honored you people found it useful!

Well, yes, I have plans for further extending it, but these days I'm not having too much time for coding, but i'll put those things on my list of todo. This is my priority list:

* The zoom feature (in development right now)
* Open links in new window
* Simple navigation bar (url, back, stop, reload)
* offline support

I didn't thought on multiple accounts until now, but help on that would be appreciated.

The code can be found on github, if anyone wants to help:
http://github.com/puelocesar/Macuco

Bye!

chenli
2009-10-28, 02:11
I would definitely like to try this application out, but it's saying I have conflicting application packages with 4.5.2maemo2 QT...

Any help?

Tintin
2009-10-28, 04:28
This is my priority list:

* offline support

I didn't thought on multiple accounts until now, but help on that would be appreciated.

Hey and thanks again for working on this - I've really wanted a smooth browser for gmail as that is by far my most used email provider.

Your priorities looks great - honestly, if you complete 'zoom' and 'open links in new windoiw' that will make me never go to gmail through another browser again :)

After those two the one that is closest to MY heart is a 'multiple accounts' feature.

I'm sure it's rather a big undertaking though...but imagine being able to have a 'setup section' where you define your gmail accounts and passwords and when you open up Macuco they all open in 'tabs' or 'buttons' or something that you can switch between :)

Regardless, a really slick app (love the scrolling..it's like Mauku's). I showed it to my iPhone'd girlfriend and even she liked it ;)

bunanson
2009-10-28, 05:34
The installation from extras devel is a breeze and the app is good. It runs very fast and is a good cli app. Thanks,

bun

puelocesar
2009-10-28, 10:31
I would definitely like to try this application out, but it's saying I have conflicting application packages with 4.5.2maemo2 QT...

Any help?

You are using Maemo-Extras right? When I have that kind of problem, I usually uninstall the conflicting packages and install the package I want. The problem with this is that I had to reinstall packages dependent on Qt

puelocesar
2009-10-28, 10:34
Hey and thanks again for working on this - I've really wanted a smooth browser for gmail as that is by far my most used email provider.

Your priorities looks great - honestly, if you complete 'zoom' and 'open links in new windoiw' that will make me never go to gmail through another browser again :)

After those two the one that is closest to MY heart is a 'multiple accounts' feature.

I'm sure it's rather a big undertaking though...but imagine being able to have a 'setup section' where you define your gmail accounts and passwords and when you open up Macuco they all open in 'tabs' or 'buttons' or something that you can switch between :)

Regardless, a really slick app (love the scrolling..it's like Mauku's). I showed it to my iPhone'd girlfriend and even she liked it ;)

Actually I already thought a very simple way to implementing multiples accounts! I think I will create a "profile" feature. There you will be able to create profiles and switch between then, and each profile will have it's own cookies and session information, so it will be possible to use multiple accounts very easily.

Tintin
2009-10-28, 13:22
Actually I already thought a very simple way to implementing multiples accounts! I think I will create a "profile" feature. There you will be able to create profiles and switch between then, and each profile will have it's own cookies and session information, so it will be possible to use multiple accounts very easily.

Can't wait :)

GeraldKo
2009-10-28, 18:00

Any help?

My conflicts were with 3 apps named "libqt4..." Uninstalling Digia@scene was necessary and sufficient. Then I had to start Macuco TWICE before it got full functionality.

Lack of zoom (with fitting to screen) is so essential to me (and I assume others), I'd appreciate if Puelocesar would release a version with that improvement even before coding additional improvements.

It's a handy app. Thanks.

puelocesar
2009-10-28, 18:26
My conflicts were with 3 apps named "libqt4..." Uninstalling Digia@scene was necessary and sufficient. Then I had to start Macuco TWICE before it got full functionality.

Lack of zoom (with fitting to screen) is so essential to me (and I assume others), I'd appreciate if Puelocesar would release a version with that improvement even before coding additional improvements.

It's a handy app. Thanks.

Yeah, plenty of people wants this feature. In fact I already received a patch that implements it, but we didn't have time to finish it yet. But yeah, I'll release an update as soon as this feature is finished.

puelocesar
2009-10-29, 10:33
Hi everyone, just uploaded a new version of Macuco with zoom using hardware keys.

Check it out on extras-devel!

Tintin
2009-10-29, 15:35
Hi everyone, just uploaded a new version of Macuco with zoom using hardware keys.

Check it out on extras-devel!

Just tried it out,
I zoomed in and out in the inbox and inside of an email - both in fullscreen and in non-fulllscren - and....it works beautifully!

I love how it zooms, yet keeps the commands on the far right and left side constantly in view. Very nice.

It doesn't tell you what % of zoom you are at when you zoom - but that's not an issue at all really.
I noticed, I think, that the 'loading wheel' when you open up Macuco is now smaller.

Thanks for the release. I like the approach of relasing an update every time one feature is added - if there only, like in your case, is a list of 5-6 features instead of having us wait for one huge release. Especially with important features like this one.

What's next for Macuco? Hyperlinks opening in new windows? :)

Thanks again and keep it up.

puelocesar
2009-10-29, 15:49
Yeah, open new windows definitely will be on next release! I use Macuco a lot for browsing google reader, and it will be much more useful if I add this feature :)

Tintin
2009-10-29, 15:57
One minor request: Would it be possible to have an audio or LED notification when new emails are received?

I have Macuco running in the background when i browse the web, etc and find I go there and check from time to time 'manually'.

EDIT: And along with that...maybe an option for auto-refresh intervals (like every minute, 5 minutes, etc)?

geneven
2009-10-29, 16:00
It looks great to me, but I don't understand why Google should get special treatment -- why doen't someone do a similar Yahoo Mail app?

Tintin
2009-10-29, 16:12
It looks great to me, but I don't understand why Google should get special treatment -- why doen't someone do a similar Yahoo Mail app?

Because no-one uses Yahoo Mail anymore? :)

(On a more serious note I think this is a 'copy' of an iPhone app for gmail (?))
Not sure how hard/possible it would be to incorporate different email providers into one interface like this (menu options would have to be dynamic as different email providers have different features (archive and tag for gmail for instance).
Sounds like a pain and personally I'd much rather have one app like this that does gmail very well - as opposed to an app that does a generic way of handling multiple email systems.
I guess there's always modest mail (ugh).

puelocesar
2009-10-29, 16:29

Hi geneven, actually we could easily add support to yahoo mail, but yahoo needs to have an optimized interface for iPhone.

Somewhere in future, I'll add a feature to you choose your start page, based on profiles, so you will be able to create a yahoo profile and configure it to load yahoo mail when starting.

puelocesar
2009-10-29, 16:39
One minor request: Would it be possible to have an audio or LED notification when new emails are received?

I have Macuco running in the background when i browse the web, etc and find I go there and check from time to time 'manually'.

I'm not familiar with Maemo APIs, but I think it's pretty possible. But this would enter on the end of the ToDo list :P

Tintin
2009-10-29, 16:43
I'm not familiar with Maemo APIs, but I think it's pretty possible. But this would enter on the end of the ToDo list :P

Oh I agree that it would go to the bottom of the to-do list :)
Note: I edited that post also asking for an auto-refresh optiom but that may simply go hand-in-hand with the notification request.

Thanks again.

heavyt
2009-10-29, 18:08
Just tried it out,
I zoomed in and out in the inbox and inside of an email - both in fullscreen and in non-fulllscren - and....it works beautifully!.......

Thanks for the release. I like the approach of relasing an update every time one feature is added - if there only, like in your case, is a list of 5-6 features instead of having us wait for one huge release. Especially with important features like this one.

What's next for Macuco? Hyperlinks opening in new windows? :)

Thanks again and keep it up.

I seconded Titin statement, nice work!!! Are there plans for Macuco to handle Google Voice website and how about hyperlinks? Thanks again for this app.

linuxeventually
2009-10-29, 20:11
Again not to diminish puelocesar's work.

But this is, in all actuality - a glorified web browser (highly optimized for Maemo) the pretty interface in gmail is using the iphone browser user-agent (this can be faked in other browsers as well).

Furthermore, try http://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/

Like I said you can go to other sites using it. As far as what the "app" entails, puelocesar added kinetic scrolling, zoom and stuff like that.

If you want GV, yahoo mail or other sites to look pretty you need an optimized CSS. As GV and yahoo mail don't have nice mobile versions, a CSS style would need to be hand-coded. I started trying but it's a major pain to make it look nice. Look into userstyles.org if you'd like to contribute.

Tintin
2009-10-29, 20:37
Kanye West moment :)

puelocesar
2009-10-29, 20:42
Well, by no means I hided the fact this is just a browser with an user agent and goodies, just read my blog..

And about other sites, I thought yahoo had an optimized version for iPhone, but it doesn't, because they have an app for that..

About setting user agent string, sincerely it was the first thing I did on microB, but it looked awfully bad, as gmail uses lots of CSS3, and it was very unpractical to navigate, because finger scrolling on gtk is horrible, so I did Macuco, a very simple app that does the job nicely..

Don't underestimate the value of tiny simple things ;)

fpp
2009-10-29, 22:00
Furthermore, try http://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/

Hah, this one is fun !

How do you people find out about these things ?... :-)

heavyt
2009-10-29, 22:04
Kanye West moment :)

Well said!

puelocesar thanks for sharing your work, I know it maybe a simple hack but it's fun to play with.

alephito
2009-10-29, 22:45
Thanks, puelocesar. Nice application.

May I ask you to check the use of accented characters, like á, é í, ó, ú? Thanks again.

puelocesar
2009-10-29, 23:12
May I ask you to check the use of accented characters, like á, é í, ó, ú? Thanks again.

Wow i'm brazilian and never perceived that accents weren't working! LOL! I'll put that on todo to look out why they don't work

bye

GeraldKo
2009-10-29, 23:34
@linuxeventually

I've got to agree with fpp (and you):

http://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/

works great!

Where do you come up with them? And do you have similar NIT-friendly links to share?

(Here, btw, are some from YoDude -- http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=269716&postcount=12 -- of which I really like Wapedia)

nilchak
2009-10-30, 01:57
I have been using the portable Gmail site
on Tear for a long time now - and thus when I saw this Macuco which just does Gmail in another browser I was not that thrilled and did not install it (another thing was the initial 17MB size which put me off).

But the Gmail site in Tear has one defect for me - it scrolls back to the top of an email whenever I try to scroll down - thus forbidding me from reading a big email. It was pretty irritating. On MicroB it works fine though - but I have gotten used to Tear's speed and Microb is a bit slow.

But then I did instal Macuco and I liked it.
Nice scrolling and a big full screen mode works very well for me. Works even better for me in portrait mode.

What attracted me was the Google Calendar - its like what it shows on iPhone I guess. In Portrait mode I can have the month view at the top and each day's details at the bottom. Very nice to track across the days and see my appointments.

The other Google calendar mobile version that I used sucks compared to this new one.
http://www.google.com/calendar/m?source=mobileproducts

Also Google Reader works as usual on Macuco - so now I am thinking I will use this for all Google sites that I use.

Thanks lot for this app - a one stop Google shop for me - if only Voice could also work nicely.

nilchak
2009-10-30, 02:00
Where do you come up with them? And do you have similar NIT-friendly links to share?

There are a lot of mobile sites at this link
http://contoni.mobi/
Many of them work very well for the NIT and I myself have been using them for some of the finance, news sites etc.

Tintin
2009-10-30, 02:16
There are a lot of mobile sites at this link
http://contoni.mobi/
Many of them work very well for the NIT and I myself have been using them for some of the finance, news sites etc.

Small correction to your link, I think you mean http://cantoni.mobi/

Tintin
2009-10-30, 18:06
Side note:: With your experience with this iPhone Gmail app, how hard would it be to maemoize this one: http://www.getdropbox.com/iphoneapp ? :)

puelocesar
2009-10-30, 18:15
Side note:: With your experience with this iPhone Gmail app, how hard would it be to maemoize this one: http://www.getdropbox.com/iphoneapp ? :)

Very difficult I must say. It's not a web app, it's probably written in Objective-C Cocoa, and closed source, so it's not trivial to clone something like that

Tintin
2009-10-30, 18:39
Ooops...just had my first macuco issue...

I clicked 'sign off' at the bottom left
I then signed on with another gmail account for the first time using this app.
Now I am stuck getting this error:
"Request URL Too Large
The requested URL /accounts/ServiceLogin...is too large to process"

I unfortunately left 'remember me' checked...so even if I close down Macuco it automatically takes me to this error and I can't break out of it.

(Not sure if it matters, but the email account name is indeed a long one: 15 characters).

Heeelp

puelocesar
2009-10-30, 18:50
Ooops...just had my first macuco issue...

I clicked 'sign off' at the bottom left
I then signed on with another gmail account for the first time using this app.
Now I am stuck getting this error:
"Request URL Too Large
The requested URL /accounts/ServiceLogin...is too large to process"

I unfortunately left 'remember me' checked...so even if I close down Macuco it automatically takes me to this error and I can't break out of it.

(Not sure if it matters, but the email account name is indeed a long one: 15 characters).

Heeelp

Well, I can't look after the problem right now, I'm in my job.. But if you are in a hurry, you can remove the cookies and try opening the app again.

To remove the cookies, just remove macuco config file. Its something like /home/user/.config/Macuco or /home/user/.loca/Macuco

I can't confirm right now because I'm without my N810 here

Tintin
2009-10-30, 20:21
Thanks, I ended up un- and re-insgalling, etc before I saw this.
It works again. Not brave enough to repeat what I did to get the error though :)

fragos
2009-10-30, 21:10
Man, now I'm getting emotional :D

Hey, it's my very first open source app, so I'm honored you people found it useful!

Well, yes, I have plans for further extending it, but these days I'm not having too much time for coding, but i'll put those things on my list of todo. This is my priority list:

* offline support

The code can be found on github, if anyone wants to help:
http://github.com/puelocesar/Macuco

Bye!

I find this ap very interesting. Currently I use IMAP and the Modest mail client to read my Gmail. IMHO why not let Gmail take care of merging from multiple accounts which it already does? I merge 3 accounts and use the Label capability of Gmail to flag those emails that were retrieved from another source.

Addison
2009-11-01, 11:54
This app is simply awesome!

Big time thanks for it! :D

Any chance you could implement D-Pad for scrolling? When I press down on it the screen only moves about 3 millimeters. Pressing up takes me immediately to the top of the page.

Other request would be to have this start in full screen mode.

What are all of the google products (voice, photos, local, etc.) that this doesn't support. Just curious.

Cheers!

puelocesar
2009-11-01, 13:09
This app is simply awesome!

Big time thanks for it! :D

Any chance you could implement D-Pad for scrolling? When I press down on it the screen only moves about 3 millimeters. Pressing up takes me immediately to the top of the page.

Other request would be to have this start in full screen mode.

What are all of the google products (voice, photos, local, etc.) that this doesn't support. Just curious.

Cheers!

Thanks, I'm glad it's useful :)

Well, the google products I use and work well are: gmail, greader, calendar, news and orkut

About D-PAD, well, I can add it to the wish list ;)

Addison
2009-11-01, 13:49
Excellent! :D

Oh, and one other thing to add in the wish list...

Most of what I schedule in Google Calendar is rarely at the exact top or bottom half of the hour.

Any chance on allowing us to schedule an event minute specfic instead?

Thanks again for the great work you put into this. :)

nilchak
2009-11-01, 13:55
Thanks, I'm glad it's useful :)

Well, the google products I use and work well are: gmail, greader, calendar, news and orkut

About D-PAD, well, I can add it to the wish list ;)

You mean to say Orkut will be fast on this ? I got to give this a try.
Thats a big plus for me - most of my friends are on Orkur thather than on Facebook (which has a facebook lite version that works well on the tablets).

If Orkut works nicely, than hats off to you puelocesar.

Addison
2009-11-01, 14:47
Okay, something to report.

Subscriptions that do work in Google Calendar:
Sunrise/Sunset
Weather Forecast
US Holidays
Christian Holidays

Ones that don't that I've subscribed to are:
Football
Hockey
Basketball

Probably Baseball too even though I personally would rather watch 3 hours of farming than a baseball game. *lol*

Hey, slightly off-topic, anyone have a good idea on creating a gadget?

http://code.google.com/apis/calendar/gadgets/sidebar/

Edit:
Found a bunch of them here:
http://www.google.com/ig/directory?type=gadgets

bluesubaru
2009-11-01, 16:57
Size of install.

I had 35 MB free before install and after the install I had 9 MB; that's 24 MB used up. That's more than the 17 the app is rated at. Any insights?

Tintin
2009-11-01, 17:23
Maybe we should let the poor guy wrap up the work on what the client is for - gmail...before adding requests for Orkut, Calendar and what not :)

puelocesar
2009-11-01, 17:43
Size of install.

I had 35 MB free before install and after the install I had 9 MB; that's 24 MB used up. That's more than the 17 the app is rated at. Any insights?

I have no idea man, I can't measure the size here because I already had Qt libraries, so my app itself was only 100k..

Tintin
2009-11-02, 02:06
Ran into the same log-in error again.

1) I log into acount A. Set it to remember me
2) I close the app do something else.
3) I open up the app again and it auto-logs me into account A
4) I sign-out
5) I log into accnt B
y) Error. Can't log in.

Can someoe please test if it's the same for them?

Addison
2009-11-02, 03:11

4) I sign-out
5) I log into accnt B
y) Error. Can't log in.

Hey Tin!

I don't have multiple accounts (not sure what the point of doing this would be) but I do have a suggestion for you to try.

Install Greasemonkey (http://browser-extras.garage.maemo.org/news/3/)

Then install this script (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/16341)

Post back if you tried it and if this worked for you.

Cheers!

puelocesar
2009-11-02, 12:59

4) I sign-out
5) I log into accnt B
y) Error. Can't log in.

I don't have multiple accounts to test it, but a crude hack to solve this before we properly support profiles would be cleaning the cookies. I think I'll put an option for that on next release

Tintin
2009-11-02, 15:11
I don't have multiple accounts to test it, but a crude hack to solve this before we properly support profiles would be cleaning the cookies. I think I'll put an option for that on next release

Thanks.
It's happening every time I try to switch account so Macuco has unfortunately, for me, for now, become a single-gmail-account-application.
It does work if I go in and delete the cookie file.
Having the the cookie auto-delete when you close the app would, I assume, prevent it from automatically open into your last logged in account and that may be rather a bad choice.

Is there a way to tie a 'cookie deletion' activity so that it happens when you select 'sign off'?

puelocesar
2009-11-02, 15:55
Is there a way to tie a 'cookie deletion' activity so that it happens when you select 'sign off'?

Actually this is possible and it's a good idea, I think I'll do that instead of the clear cookies button

Addison
2009-11-02, 22:10
After doing some digging, Google Calendar doesn't support sporting events through their iPhone web page.

I've been messing around with a few user scripts that run in Greasemonkey. Right now, I've got it so that the Calendar is full screen with nothing extra, like no google web links or navigational junk.

I don't know though. I'll look around some more and post back if I can find a really good, working solution on getting sporting events to show up in the google calendar.

Tintin
2009-11-03, 00:23
Why keep bringing up the calendar, sporting events, etc in this thread?

puelocesar
2009-11-03, 01:18
Well, I'm not investing much time on Google Calendar with Macuco, because that iPhone version doesn't work well for me. But if you wanna hack it and post your solution, I'll be glad to integrate with my code if suitable..

Actually, I was thinking in doing my own web app for google calendar using the JSON APIs, but right now I don't think I have enough time to do it..

Addison
2009-11-04, 08:50
Thanks for the response puelocesar!

I found a run around solution.

While Google Calendar let's you subscribe to sporting events, for some reason, or whatever, they don't support such a feature with their mobile web page coding.

The trick is actually quite simple. Just search the web for your favorite sporting team with the word "ical" in the search engine along with it.

Once you find the ical schedule, copy that link.

While in Google Calendar, just click on "Add" under "Other calendars" from the main page, Add by URL, and then the link you just copied. This works out perfectly! :)

The Google help forum states that you can only save up to 10 events per day for a mobile device, but I'm able to view over 30 of them under your app as well as in MicroB with the correct settings.

I see what you mean about Google Calendar with Macuco not working too well. In MicroB, I can create an event but I'm unable to save, the save button doesn't even respond. At least with Macuco, I am able to create an event as well as save but sometimes it crashes.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. :)

puelocesar
2009-11-09, 22:59
By the way, I just uploaded Macuco to Maemo.org Downloads, check it out: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/macuco/

puelocesar
2009-11-17, 10:22
By the way, I just updated Macuco, now it supports open links in new window. Oh, and I was surprised how well it handled some websites, I think I'll put an address bar on it to use it as main browser :P

silvermountain
2009-11-18, 21:35
Very nice. Started using this app and I did miss not being able to open up links so this update will be great and I'll install it tonight.

mfortner
2009-11-19, 03:06
It is not loading images. Is that by design?

puelocesar
2009-11-19, 11:09
It is not loading images. Is that by design?

It's not by design :P Gmail blocks some images, but otherwise images are shown properly here

heavyt
2009-11-19, 12:57
Getting images here...address toolbar would be nice, thanks

yukop4
2009-11-19, 21:08
Getting images here...address toolbar would be nice, thanks
so far so good -could be usefull app-but it loads sites slowly-is that normal

puelocesar
2009-12-03, 11:24
Hi everyone again, I just updated Macuco to version 0.2, now with a navigation toolbar, so you can use it as a mini browser if you like it.

Your feedback is welcome :)

alabak2002
2009-12-03, 23:41
I hope to see this running on the N900 soon

puelocesar
2009-12-04, 01:02
I hope to see this running on the N900 soon

And I hope to be able to buy a N900 soon :D

But before that I'll send it to Fremantle builder again, I'm having some dependency bugs on Qt Fremantle, but soon it will be solved.

heavyt
2009-12-04, 04:22
Hi everyone again, I just updated Macuco to version 0.2, now with a navigation toolbar, so you can use it as a mini browser if you like it.

Your feedback is welcome :)
Love the nav toolbar and the hyperlinks that we can click. Keep up the good work. Somewhat slow, some websites like this one does not keep its borders when ones is enlarging the page.

Using it to post this. :D

heavyt
2009-12-04, 05:04
Is it possible to have bookmarks.
Websites (mobile2.wsj.com, m.barrons.com, i.engadget.com etc) made for mobile devices, displays very nice with this app

Tintin
2009-12-04, 05:55
It's a very slick gmail reader.

Pro:
- Great scrolling
- Nice, clean interface
- Active Hyperlinks
- Zooming works great

Con:
- A bit big footprint (5Meg?)
- Slow to start-up
- Maybe not the best as a 'general browser';
- Slow as a browser (which wasn't was it was designed for though)
- No bookmarks
- No homepage
- Does not support multiple gmail accounts/logins

All in all: Very nice.

puelocesar
2009-12-04, 10:29
Well, on the next version I was thinking in adding bookmarks and a favorites page.

I have very little time to work on this, so features would come on a slow pace. contributions would be welcome :)

munky261
2009-12-05, 02:53
Why is there no way to put attachments on new messages?

puelocesar
2009-12-05, 14:55
Why is there no way to put attachments on new messages?

Wow, can you believe I never thoght on that?? Be assured file uploads and downloads will be supported, but again, I'm with little time for Macuco, so if any qt developer is interested, he would be *very* welcomed

munky261
2009-12-05, 17:22
Im surprised no one else has brought it up.

GeraldKo
2009-12-05, 17:42
I appreciate Puelocesar's work and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but with respect to GMail, I'm curious as to what anyone finds superior about Macuco over using the Tear browser and this bookmark (http://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/):

?

Addison
2009-12-05, 17:51
I appreciate Puelocesar's work and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but with respect to GMail, I'm curious as to what anyone finds superior about Macuco over using the Tear browser and this bookmark (http://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/):

?

Actually, you can get even a better result with Gmail using the Iphone Grease Monkey script but it only works wiith MicroB.

But I'm the same on this, Tear and that link are good enough for me. :)

Real quick though, is there a way to add contacts from there?

I'm not seeing it available.

Thanks.

heavyt
2009-12-05, 18:16

?
Different Strokes for Different Folks. :)

puelocesar
2009-12-05, 18:46
Well, before making macuco, I was doing that, but Tear has a very ugly interface, and it's kinetic scrolling has some weird rendering, and MicroB doesn't even have kinetic scrolling, so I decided to make a simple webkit client to learn Qt. For my surprise, it worked much better for me, so I prefer it over the alternatives.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who prefers it, that's why I continue maintaining Macuco: I like to use and there are people who like it too

munky261
2009-12-05, 21:44
The problem with that bookmark is the same as the only problem I have with macuco, you cant attach files to new emails

GeraldKo
2009-12-06, 04:58
The problem with that bookmark is the same as the only problem I have with macuco, you cant attach files to new emails

With "that bookmark" in Tear, if you know you're going to want to include an attachment, you can scroll to the bottom and select Classic to change out of Mobile.

munky261
2009-12-06, 05:05
But the point is we shouldnt have to change out of mobile.

heavyt
2009-12-12, 15:34
Puelocesar is it possible for Macuco to have an option for loading graphics and storing/saving passwords/cookies?

puelocesar
2009-12-12, 15:54
Puelocesar is it possible for Macuco to have an option for loading graphics and storing/saving passwords/cookies?

hi, it's possible, but i can't promise nothing for this year..

heavyt
2009-12-12, 18:22
hi, it's possible, but i can't promise nothing for this year..
I have patience. :)

soargus
2009-12-31, 17:17
Hey, I don't understand why but after install this app I couldn't load any Google page.

I get this message:

"Unable to load page.
You possibly have network problem
Retry?"

If I try any website else than Google it works well...

Some other sites doesn't open and the similarity of them is that they're all sites with login information.
BUT, I already accessed login sites as www.uol.com.br and it worked well.

I have NO MENU options on the app if I click with the pen, and if I click on the menu button on the keyboard I see just one option and that is "CLOSE" so I can't see any place where I could edit preferences.

I'm not an expert on Maemo or Linux. I've been using my N810 since August and I was very happy with this GMail app! I was wondering if will work with Google Apps...

BY now I'm using the Mobile URL that someone posted here and I'm loving it but I think I'd like this app more because I love using GMail at iPod Touch.

My N810 ie OS2008 Version: 5.2008.43-7
I installed directly from maemo.org page.

Someone had the same problem?
Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!
Gus

soargus
2010-01-02, 12:01
Hello everybody, my last problem with Network Connection is solved but I don't know how because I just kept trying and then it worked without any new installation or new setting or new connection... just the old stuff!

Now I'm enjoying the same as everybody! And I have to tell you that works with Google Apps just as good as GMailand in comparision with Mobile Browser interface, Macuco has done a much better job because Google Apps in Mobile Browser is a little different than GMail, the top menu don't work there and in Macuco is flawless, the top menu is right there!!!

Since I'm using it now I feel free to tell my impressions...

Overall:
Is perfect for GMail users with one account only! No reason to think about any other software or browser!

Pro:
The interface is very friendly, exactly the same as iPod Touch and the standard zoom is better than my browser's with the mobile version.

Cons:
I use Google Apps for my two enterprises and also for my personal use, so I need to have the possibility to exchange between this accounts.
On my browser using the Mobile version I saved everyone as a Bookmark so I can quickly access my 3 accounts without needing to logout and then login again. Sometimes my session expire when I try to access some of the accounts and I need to reenter the user and password but that's ok. A bookmark system would be great, I think it would solve my problems!

As I don't use GMail as my primary account I would appreciate if I can change the home page to my Google App primary account.

I don't have the same problem as the most people that have to login to two different GMail accounts but I recognize that would be great, a profile that you can change between two accounts without the need to logout and then login, specially if people is getting a hard time doing this.

About the problem with attachments, I've been using GMail App on my Nokia E51 for a long time and also on iPod Touch so I was familiar with that, anyway I think that would be really good to have this capability!

Last but not least, an Offline mode such as the native client mail would be great! Thats amazing, the possibility to read and reply mails anytime and on the next connection you send it.

I think this is it! That's a GREAT job puelocesar! I'm brazilian too and I'm very proud to see brazilians doing a great contribution to the free software world!

Waiting excited for the new releases of Macuco!

Thank you all and a great 2010 to everybody!

Cheers
Gus

richardyates
2010-01-10, 12:54
I've got exactly the same problem as soargus - I've tried removing and reinstalling and restarting the N810. I have exactly the same message, and no menu items under "macuco gmail client". Its good to know that keeping on trying may work eventually, but if anyone has any ideas before then...

boxofrain
2010-01-11, 18:35
When I start Macuco I just get a wheel and locks, This happened after I switched gmail accounts on a slow connection. I have removed rebooted and reinstalled. Where are the config files kept or anything I can remove to try again.

Lenny N810 V 5.2008.43-7

puelocesar
2010-01-11, 18:40
Hi, if you have this problem again, just remove the file .config/Macuco

My cookie handling is not very good, so in some rare conditions everything gets messed up.. I think I need an option on the interface for clearing the cookies..

heavyt
2010-01-13, 00:07
can hardly wait for the next release!

Kirio
2010-01-13, 12:17
Hi this looks like a very nice app. Do the Canned responses work?( http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-in-labs-canned-responses.html ):confused:
Keep up the good work Puelocesar!!

linuxeventually
2010-01-27, 08:13
I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere....
A decently-fast-loading ghetto way to use Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps/m?mode=latitude (from Macuco or any browser using iphone user-agent)
Click "See Map"
Type in address, then "Directions to Here", and type in address.

It works pretty well on N810.

And "graphical street map" mode loads if you click on the >> on the far right of each step.

silvermountain
2010-02-18, 06:27
Any updates planned for Macuco?

cardiff-blues
2010-03-04, 08:09
when i install this it fails but it is still available when i check prgrams. i can run it but it doesn't keep my login details which is a pain. Also find the fonts very small and can't seem to zoom.