PDA

View Full Version : Custom Operator Name Applet

qwerty12
2009-10-28, 19:28
Wanted to be able to display something of my own choice on the desktop, instead of seeing my operator's name so I wrote a replacement for the applet responsible.

Custom Operator Name Applet, simply put, allows you to display a label of your own choice in lieu of your network operator's name. You can also choose the text and shadow colours of the label. You can have different labels and colours that are dependent upon the state of the N900 phone connectivity (Connected, connecting, not connected). Version 0.1 is in Extras-devel.

Due to hildon-desktop limitations, the N900 must be restarted before the applet is loaded. After that, the applet can be configured from the Control Panel.

Uninstalling the applet - and restarting - will cause the original one to be restored.

Planned:
* Allow you to show the operator's name.
* Allow you to have a (small) image in place of the logo.
* Allow you to see what song is playing in any MAFW-utilising Media Player.
* Show the name of the current profile.
* Show the current volume.

http://imgur.com/x2h2Y.png
http://imgur.com/7REwZ.png

joppu
2009-10-28, 20:00
That's awesome! Symbian required some hacking and manually replacing the files but this just proves the flexibility of Meamo 5 for everyone.

zerojay
2009-10-28, 20:04
Hahaha.. P1MP is so lame... love the idea of showing the currently playing song though. Great stuff.

Psymastr
2009-10-28, 20:35
Option for US English in your app please? :D

gviterbo
2009-10-28, 23:55
This is awesome!

* Allow you to have a (small) image in place of the logo. What's the pixel size of the picture? Thanks!

qwerty12
2009-10-29, 00:00
This is awesome!

* Allow you to have a (small) image in place of the logo. What's the pixel size of the picture? Thanks!

I certainly won't place a limit on the size, but you may wish to resize when you see your chosen image covers the entire desktop...

anidel
2009-10-29, 13:14
Is this a passive applet? i.e. does it receives events if tapped?

If so you can show different information one at a time and when tapping you rotate trough them

anidel
2009-10-29, 15:18
Uhm.. I installed it, rebooted and works fine.. but.. what if I want to momentarily show the operator name?

There seem to be no way to do that?

qwerty12
2009-10-29, 15:27
Uhm.. I installed it, rebooted and works fine.. but.. what if I want to momentarily show the operator name?

There seem to be no way to do that?

No, as said in the first post: It is planned. The official library which can do this is closed source without any headers available, so I have to utilize any workarounds I can find. It just so happens that the workaround I found is rather long and, as such, will take a while for me to do.

Regarding the passive applet question: No, it is not one, and I have no plans on making it so.

Andre Klapper
2009-10-30, 12:05
Says "custom operator name applet" in App Manager Restore dialog.
Should be "widget" instead.

lcuk
2009-10-30, 12:08
No, as said in the first post: It is planned. The official library which can do this is closed source without any headers available, so I have to utilize any workarounds I can find. It just so happens that the workaround I found is rather long and, as such, will take a while for me to do.

Regarding the passive applet question: No, it is not one, and I have no plans on making it so.

Perhaps a mail on the -dev list requesting the name lookup mechanism would be good.
It could be useful in other scenarios too - like with fiferboys 3g data transfer logging app.

If it could group the transferred data by provider (for people who roam) it could provide a useful metric.

qwerty12
2009-10-30, 12:37
@Andre

Will rename - but just the visible name, if I start to rename files and the actual package name, it will cause problems for those who have it already installed.

@lcuk

The headers for libconnui should be available but Nokia probably think they're too big an asset. With them, one can pretty much control the cellular parts. I certainly will not hold my breath hoping that Nokia will open-source them; for code that they have had to release due to it being GPL, they've used the same workarounds as I.

For fiferboy, he has to access GConf manually (for the data regarding sent/recieved totals) instead of being able to use the lovely functions Nokia provided in their library w/out headers.

keiel
2009-11-12, 21:52
um where is this applet?
sorry for being such a noob

qwerty12
2009-11-12, 22:06
Hiya,

It's still in extras-devel. If you do not have it enabled, open this (http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/dists/fremantle/install/custom-operator-name-applet.install) with the N900 browser which will enable extras-devel and offer to install the applet, automatically. Remember to disable extras-devel when done, and a reboot is required before it will load up.

And, linking to qgil's warning about extras-devel is also rather quite apt: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=343619

YoDude
2009-11-12, 22:29
Hiya,

It's still in extras-devel. If you do not have it enabled, open this (http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/dists/fremantle/install/custom-operator-name-applet.install) with the N900 browser which will enable extras-devel and offer to install the applet, automatically. Remember to disable extras-devel when done, and a reboot is required before it will load up.

And, linking to qgil's warning about extras-devel is also rather quite apt: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=343619

Good man.

Excellent app BTW. This is the number one requested cell phone hack regardless of model since I have been active in the cell phone forums.

No need for any other purpose. If you keep it just like it is, I believe it will be the #1 down load in a very short time if the N900 takes off with the general public. :)

Dude, you should keep churning out these gems and offer them up as a collection called qwerty12's Utilities. You will end up being the dang Peter Norton of Maemo. :D

Also: If you don't mind a little publicity :) http://howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=13224042&postcount=21

It's a closed, stuck thread but I can remove it if you request it to be.

Also, Also: Is your most excellent wmlbrowser plugin package going to be available for the N900?

>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=21384

maxy0987
2010-02-08, 10:12
Quick question regarding the uninstallation of this application -

When i remove the application it still sits in my settings list under personalisation for a while. Every time i open the settings windows the option will appear for a few seconds and then disappear.

Any ideas as to why the menu thinks it is there and then realises it isn't?

qwerty12
2010-02-08, 10:15
Quick question regarding the uninstallation of this application -

When i remove the application it still sits in my settings list under personalisation for a while. Every time i open the settings windows the option will appear for a few seconds and then disappear.

Any ideas as to why the menu thinks it is there and then realises it isn't?

Maemo 5 has a "feature" where a program can take a screenshot when exiting and that screenshot will be shown the next time the program is started - during its loading, that is.

But the Control Panel application is rather **** at updating its screenshot; run "rm -f /home/user/.cache/launch/com.nokia.controlpanel.pvr" to delete its screenshot manually. The next time the Control Panel is started, it will generate a new screenshot.

maxy0987
2010-02-08, 10:28
But the Control Panel application is rather **** at updating its screenshot; run "rm -f /home/user/.cache/launch/com.nokia.controlpanel.pvr" to delete its screenshot manually. The next time the Control Panel is started, it will generate a new screenshot.

Wokred. Thanks heaps!

qwerty12
2010-03-10, 17:18
Hi, first post here so please excuse any incompetence.

Proud new owner of an N900 and have a question relating to the Custom Operator Widget.

Basically i installed it, then after deciding i didnt want it, uninstalled it.

All fine. Except...

When i go to the settings menu i can still see the option for the custom operator name (it dissapears shortly after) but i wondered if anyone could inform me why it still appears and if it is possible to fully remove any trace of it from the phone.

Hopefully hear back from one of you guys and thanks in advance!

Hint: read the thread. The solution is a few posts up before yours.

rariss
2010-03-11, 12:41
Hey, thanks for the app it works great.

Although if I may suggest something, would it be possible to have the option to let the custom operator name display only when one is in their home network and not roaming?

That would help me avoid some unnecessary roaming charges.
Thanks for making apps like these :D

Death Scythe
2010-03-11, 12:46
This is awesome!

Has this feature been included in the current version? It's impressive as-is, but this would make it even more impressive.

arjunkumar87
2010-03-11, 13:48
nice widget thnkx man ;)
pls do release the updated one which has image support :cool:

qwerty12
2010-03-11, 13:51
Although if I may suggest something, would it be possible to have the option to let the custom operator name display only when one is in their home network and not roaming?

I'm not sure how to check for this. If I figure it out, I know I'd have no way of being able to test for it...

Has this feature been included in the current version? It's impressive as-is, but this would make it even more impressive.

Personally, I'd like to see how the normal operator applet does it but I don't have a way for forcing it to do so as my network doesn't show a logo...

Nevertheless, I could do my own implementation of it, I guess.

Indeed! See i told you i was incompetent. :confused: Thanks for the reply!

Ok so i tried that in X terminal and it read...

rm:invalid option -- /
Busybox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-losso26+0m5) multi-call binary

Usage: rm [option]... FILE...

Is this basically giving me the option to delete the file? If so how would i do that?

Sorry for the noobishness i'm still trying to get my head around the way the OS functions. Any reply or help would be greatly appreciated!

Hiya,

What exactly are you typing?
It should be rm -f /home/user/.cache/launch/com.nokia.controlpanel.pvr exactly. It sounds like you're typing "rm - /home/user/.cache/launch/com.nokia.controlpanel.pvr" (missing the 'f') but I can't be certain. :)

pelago
2010-03-11, 14:42
I'm not sure how to check for this. If I figure it out, I know I'd have no way of being able to test for it...

I guess one crude way would be to grab the current operator name text when the widget is first installed, then compare that text with the current operator name periodically. You would probably need to allow the user to edit this text, in case they weren't in their home area when they first installed the widget, or if their operator name changes.

rariss
2010-03-18, 08:32
Although if I may suggest something, would it be possible to have the option to let the custom operator name display only when one is in their home network and not roaming?I'm not sure how to check for this. If I figure it out, I know I'd have no way of being able to test for it...

Hopefully somebody a little more knowledgeable will chime in with exact details but I believe the phone itself can tell when it is roaming or not (via signal from network operator maybe?) because on almost all phones you can turn off certain features when roaming. e.g. mms retrieval and data connections

Shady 91'
2010-03-28, 18:22
can you work on this app to port multilanguage?

I can translate all voice in italian Language if you want

The name of the apps for example could be translate in "Nome del Gestore telefonico" or "Personaliz. Nome Gestore telefonico".

thanks thousand and compliments for the Great Apps!

rariss
2010-05-26, 18:17
Hiya!

I dont mean to try a beat a dead horse but...

Since PR1.2, the data counter now separates the home network data from the roaming data.
This means that the N900 is able to identify when it is roaming or not (somehow).

Therefore I would like to renew my request for having the option to set the custom operator name to show only while one is on their home network as I feel it would help several people out.

qwazix
2010-06-29, 08:44
I'm not sure if this is the right place or if it has been suggested before, but it would be nice if it could display the IM status message
________
WEB SHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

fw190
2010-07-03, 19:25
I'm often on roaming and with this app I don't know if I am already on different operator network. Would it be possible to ad a turn on turn off button in the app? the option with displaying the tuned name only on home network as you wrote would be difficoult so just turning the app off for a while would help me a lot!

AgentZ
2010-07-03, 19:37

I just thought of posting that same idea,and maybe even have it as banner sign with scrolling letters!
that wood be nicer.

NightShift79
2010-08-03, 06:27
hope this is getting an update, any time soon.

some stuff I would love to see...

- show IM status message, music playing, SMS... (scrolling...)
- multicolor Operator Name Text
- change/resize font.(maybe special font only for OP)
- show png file instead of operator name text.

hope the development is going on...

thx for it, anyway.

regards

bobbydoedoe
2011-03-06, 19:13
sorry for the old thread bump, but anyone noticed battery drain while using this app on pr1.3? it seems my phone is experiencing it. maybe about 20% more drainage. but not sure.