PDA

View Full Version : Does Maemo5 suppor chinese in display and input both ways!?

lonelybug
2009-11-05, 01:32
I believe which support chinese related stuff is really helpful for Nokia N900 to open a new market get more resource to continue improve the platform.

best

LB

jkq
2009-11-05, 01:43
I believe which support chinese related stuff is really helpful for Nokia N900 to open a new market get more resource to continue improve the platform.

I would expect that displaying Chinese is supported (I think it works out-of-the-box on N8x0). The Fremantle SDK browser doesn't seem to display it properly for me, though.

There is a thread about input methods here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33956

-jkq

lonelybug
2009-11-05, 02:00
I really dont get it. if a system even cannot support almost of popular languages around the world, how can this guys fill of confidence to publish this platform, and even make it into a product to make money.

The sound is really lame.

Andre Klapper
2009-11-05, 12:07
Why do people think that the government/Nokia/whatever has to provide everything for them?
There was a 3rd party CJK package for Maemo4.0. I've seen myself a 3rd party package for Maemo5 that provides an onscreen arabic keyboard.

But just complaning makes me bored.

lonelybug
2009-11-05, 12:16
The reason is very simple, we buy the stuff with a much more money than other deveices.

If people in here think they create a demo stuff or just a fun stuff, they shouldnt to put it in to a plastic box and make money from it.

If you buy a car which just has the American version, the British version is support by the 3rd party manufactory. what do you think it is a good idear!?

baksiidaa
2009-11-06, 07:08
Umm . . . so don't buy it. No one's making you, and Nokia is under no obligation to provide support for any particular language.

If people in here think they create a demo stuff or just a fun stuff, they shouldnt to put it in to a plastic box and make money from it.

People can sell whatever they want, regardless of the quality. It's up to the customer to decide whether it's worth paying for.

Fargus
2009-11-06, 07:37
The reason is very simple, we buy the stuff with a much more money than other deveices.

If you buy a car which just has the American version, the British version is support by the 3rd party manufactory. what do you think it is a good idear!?

You've obviously missed the entire point of Linux and community software. Nokia are a commercial company: they make products to sell for a profit, not to satisfy a charitable cause. If Nokia thought that they would make enough money selling hardware that supported Kanji then I am sure they would.

The basic fact is that it is harder to design input methods for such a complex language, especially for people that don't speak it as a first language. If you have a simple solution then please share it with the world: I'm sure all manufacturers would love to use it.

Whilst your correctly identify that Chinese is a language spoken by a huge number of people, how many of them are in a position, or have a desire, to buy such a device? Potential customers is the driving force, not the number of speakers of a given language.

qgil
2009-11-06, 08:39
I believe which support chinese related stuff is really helpful for Nokia N900 to open a new market get more resource to continue improve the platform

Please keep the discussion in this thread in order to avoid duplicated topics, thank you!
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=367076#post367076

rabbitrun84
2009-11-07, 18:30
I really dont get it. if a system even cannot support almost of popular languages around the world, how can this guys fill of confidence to publish this platform, and even make it into a product to make money.

The sound is really lame.

Well, if Nokia wants to sell Maemo products in China, do you really think that it's really so hard to just put a Chinese input method in the product? But since N900 is not targeting at eastern Asia markets at all, why should Nokia put Chinese input support in the product?

lordhong
2009-11-08, 01:21
if u want to localize N900, u r welcome to do that.

frances
2009-12-02, 16:29
Nokia obviously overlooked Asia with the n900.. people! there are also asians drooling over n900 you know..some countries here don't even use chinese/japanese characters..some countries almost have ENglish as their first language!