PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Kit for Nokia 770 Now Available

dattani98
2006-11-20, 14:14
Does anyoe know if the kit is available in the USA? I found it on Nokia's Europe site but not on the one for North America.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Navigation Kit for Nokia 770 Internet Tablet
now available

One of the most wanted features for the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet has been navigation. Now we have good news for those of you who have been waiting for it. The Navigation Kit for Nokia 770 is now available for purchase through nokia.com, now with free shipping.

Featuring Navicore Personal 2007 Europe software, the Navigation Kit helps you in finding destinations and interesting locations conveniently. While traveling, you can easily search for information on your destinations from the web using your Nokia 770.

Start navigating on the road and in the Internet.

Buy Online (http://www.elabs7.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=av3m,11m6,281,751m,2wc,h79d,hzzc) now and get free shipping.

© 2006 Nokia.

anidel
2006-11-20, 14:59
Dunno if it is available in the US, but I suspect it is not.

Anyway it's a very good price for what you get (the GPS module along with the maps and navigation software + memory card and so on...)

Kevint
2006-11-20, 15:43
I just tried to order:

"The application has encountered an error. If this error message persists, please contact customer service"

:mad:

aleksandyr
2006-11-20, 15:50
http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer/Product/Coverage/

No coverage in the USA.

SD69
2006-11-20, 15:53
USA is coming (January 2007)

jurop88
2006-11-20, 16:11
I ordered today mine here in Italy

disq
2006-11-20, 16:32
i'm waiting for the soft version, because i already got a couple of 1gig/2gig mmc's and i will buy a gps later.

lmf
2006-11-20, 22:34
199eur (for this) is an absurd price...

I have a Nokia 770.. and a holux gpslim236, which I bought for 70eur... and believe me... there's no way I'll pay 200eur for this gps pack...
I'd pay up to 60eur... for a pack with the software, the car stand, and a 1GB card...

For the same 199eur anyone can buy a standalone gps unit...
like the MyGuide Typhoon 3500GO GPS... (3.5'' touchsreen; built in gps; sdcard)
http://www.conrad.de/script/typhoon_my_guide.sap
and if you pay a little more, you can get a tomtom unit...

in fact.. you can get a (Navteq) full GPS system for 140eur !!!
http://www1.conrad.de/scripts/wgate/ZCOP_B2C/?~template=pcat_product_details_document&zhmmh_area_kz=F0&product_show_id=370263&p_back_template=deeplink&basket_add_event=1&p_load_area=$ROOT&p_artikelbilder_mode=&p_sortopt=&page=&p_catalog_max_results=10&cachedetail=#

thoughtfix
2006-11-21, 02:19
$10 says it'll be a launch title for the next internet tablet. ;) I wrote about this when I discovered it, but am sad it's still non-USA

Christaxi
2006-11-21, 14:57
For the same 199eur anyone can buy a standalone gps unit...
like the MyGuide Typhoon 3500GO GPS... (3.5'' touchsreen; built in gps; sdcard)
http://www.conrad.de/script/typhoon_my_guide.sap
and if you pay a little more, you can get a tomtom unit...
This unit only comes with German maps installed, and, although my german probably isn't that good, I do not think you can browse the internet with it, make voip calls, can put your contacts in there or can play (sudoku) games on it :-)

in fact.. you can get a (Navteq) full GPS system for 140eur !!!
http://www1.conrad.de/scripts/wgate/ZCOP_B2C/?~template=pcat_product_details_document&zhmmh_area_kz=F0&product_show_id=370263&p_back_template=deeplink&basket_add_event=1&p_load_area=$ROOT&p_artikelbilder_mode=&p_sortopt=&page=&p_catalog_max_results=10&cachedetail=#
This link is not working, but I think you are being a little to harsh re price. If you add up the separate prices of the individual components of the navigation kit unless you already have some of the components of course ;-) EUR 199 for a stand, RS MMC, car charger and European map coverage is actually very decent!

At least that's my 2 cents :D

SD69
2006-11-21, 16:24
I also disagree with the suggested alternatives. I do not want to carry a separate navigation device with another display. The tablet's large screen makes it a good choice for a navigation app.

lmf
2006-11-21, 17:17
I'm going offtopic here, but I'd just like to clarify my point:
I was just expressing a personal opinion. In my point of view, it is absurd to ask 199 for this, when for the same amount (or less) you can buy a brand new system...

Things cost whatever people are willing to pay for them...
It's the same error record lablels fall into.. they want you to buy overpriced cd's.. and then... they still wonder why people get them online for "free"...

This unit only comes with German maps installed, and, although my german probably isn't that good, I do not think you can browse the internet with it, make voip calls, can put your contacts in there or can play (sudoku) games on it :-)

If you buy it in your contry it will come with your maps...
and if it really matters... some people have installed TomTom6 on this...
and you can still use your nokia770... for whatever you want...
you get 2 for the price of one...

This link is not working, but I think you are being a little to harsh re price. If you add up the separate prices of the individual components of the navigation kit unless you already have some of the components of course ;-) EUR 199 for a stand, RS MMC, car charger and European map coverage is actually very decent!
At least that's my 2 cents

A navigation kit should cost less than buying it in parts...
But I'm comparing apples and oranges here...

http://www.conrad.de/script/?1P-K=e_G&sid=Q/gNOl1bx2Bf965U&z=a&pd=370263
if it doesn't work, just go to the homepage and search for it... it's the "REFLEXION EASYWAY" model... with Navteq maps..

I also disagree with the suggested alternatives. I do not want to carry a separate navigation device with another display. The tablet's large screen makes it a good choice for a navigation app.

With the Nokia770, if you want naviagtion, you ALWAYS have to carry the BT-GPS... so you'll need 2 devices anyway...
if you want real portability, then just use a BT GPS receiver and a smartphone... or even, wait for that FIC phone that'll arrive soon...

anyway, like I said above, it's your choice.
IMHO if they sell just the software, or even a pack with the SW+carStand+1GBCard at a fair price, I'd buy it...
otherwise, I'll look for a better alternative.

anidel
2006-11-21, 17:26
Exactly.. that's the point. It's a good price if you DO NOT have a GPS unit, a memory card etc etc.
They should split it and make only the software or only software+mmc available at different prices.
So that anyone can buy its own bundle.

cybe
2006-11-21, 17:49
i'm waiting for the soft version, because i already got a couple of 1gig/2gig mmc's and i will buy a gps later.

Do you think/know there will be a soft version?

Christaxi
2006-11-21, 18:40
I asked the people at Navicore that same question and actually got two (very quick) replies that sort of contradict... Btw the prices of the current software only suites of Navicore Personal 2007 on the Navicore webstore make Nokia's offer better looking I guess (or is equally worse ;-) depending on your view); pricing for limited maps on various mobile phones starts at approx EUR 149 (including VAT).

Question asked to Navicore:
> Are the software only versions of Navicore Personal also available for
> the Nokia 770 Internettablet? If so, what phone should I choose when
> ordering?

Replies:
(1) Dear Sir,
thank you for contacting Navicore

The Navicore software is compatible with many phone models, please check
the link below for the complete list of currently all supported phone
models:

http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer/Support/Compatibility/

best regards,
Navicore customer service

(2) Dear Sir,

Navicore for 770 Internet tablet can be bought from the link below:
http://direct.nokia.com/shopcart.aspx

best regards,
Navicore customer service

disq
2006-11-21, 22:08
Do you think/know there will be a soft version?

not sure, i'm just hoping.

Kevint
2006-11-23, 16:44
It arrived today :) but I won't have any time to set it up until the weekend. The GPS module is very discreet, only measures approx. 8 x 4 x 1.5cm.

Kevin

Kevint
2006-11-23, 20:53
I've been asked by pm what copy protection the Navicore software has? here is my response:

"There is a code you enter which activates Navicore for 7 days, during the 7 days you have to connect to the internet to permanently activate Navicore. To install on a second tablet you have to deactivate on the first before permanently activating on the second."

I'm not sure how this will work when the time comes to upgrade the OS - presumably I'll have to deactivate before upgrading and then re-install and reactivate?

Kevin

pem
2006-11-23, 21:46
You are only able to have Navicore Personal activated on one device at any given time. There is a limit (not specified) on the number of devices which can be activated (serially) within one month.

Activiation is easy, it took a few seconds once the activation number was entered on the device.

In my opinion it is an acceptable solution, since you are able to move it relatively easy between devices, only restriction seems to be the (unknown) number of devices within the last month. If you constantly reinstall your device, this might or might not count as a deactivation followed by an activiation.

Regards pem

pem
2006-11-23, 22:06
A few other observations with Navicore Personal for Nokia 770:

You are not able to have all maps for Europe on the 1GB card which is included in the package. All map data seems to use 1.5GB, which leaves approx. 500 MB free for other purposes on a 2GB card.

A Windows utility allows you to mix and match regions to any MMC card while it is located in the device and connected to your PC through USB. I have installed Scandinavia, which uses approx. 185 MB.

If you want to read the User Manual, please find it here: http://www.brispo.dk/NavicorePersonal2007UserManual770.pdf

Regards pem

Invicta
2006-11-24, 00:30
For mobile phones Navicore 2007 europe upgrade from earlier version costs 159€.

Does this mean that in the future, if I want to have latest maps, I would have to pay 159 €/year?

lmf
2006-11-24, 02:00
It arrived today :) but I won't have any time to set it up until the weekend. The GPS module is very discreet, only measures approx. 8 x 4 x 1.5cm.

Kevin

Kevin (or any other user that's purchased Navicore),

Is the software on the DVD only for the Nokia770? or are there versions for symbian and/or pocketPC?

Could you provide a review of the system, with eventually a few "real-life" screenshots, and a real field test (if possible by comparing to another system, like tomtom).

How long does that GPS unit take to get fix from a cold start?
Is it sensitive enough to work inside a house (or at least, near a window)? Is it accurate? How long does the battery last?

thanks
;)

pem
2006-11-24, 09:10
Only software for the 770 is delivered with the product, although maps and other stuff seems to be usable by Symbian etc.

I drove through Copenhagen this morning, and the navigation worked flawlessly and directed me in danish to my destination. I have no experience with other navigation products, but according to people I know the Navicore software is on level with competing products. One nice feature is that you can select bicycle or pedestrian as alternatives to car.

Regards pem

pdq
2006-11-24, 15:35
I couldn't figure out how to get traffic information. Hotline says it's not supported on the 770 "because it would require two active bluetooth connections, one to the gps mouse, the other to the phone."

That is a little bit strange in view of the press releases where they emphasize the internet capabilities of the 770 in connection with navigation. Also, the 770 can definitly sustain two connections. I have been navigating with bluetooth gps and maemo-mapper and auto-downloading maps via the bluetooth attached cell phone.

Regards,
Reiner

Tipper
2006-12-06, 22:12
I 've worked now for a short period with Navicore 2007 software on Nokia 770. My first conclusions are that it is very useful navigation software for car navigation. It is less suitable for navigation for walking or cycling. But that's not unique. It's about the same as for all other car navigation software since the maps of Tele Atlas don't have enough cycling routes and are lacking detail especially when you want to walk in natural environments. Besides some hickups in the GPS location (no fluent stream) when you walk constantly with the Nokia GPS unit in your pocket it is real fun to walk with this combination in towns. You can easily find Wifi access points in 20 European countries and you can browse to several websites which are linked under points of interest.

http://www.hcczob.nl/joomla/images/stories/pda_smartphone/nokia%20770_navicore_seek_wifi_kl.gif

The compact form factor of the Nokia 770, the nice screen and because it's so easy to slide it into sleeping modus and a quick start and fix when you are opening it again are very nice for walking purposes in cities. A small complaint is that the unit can react sometimes a bit slow by lack of memory (when you put many programs on your Nokia 770). This leads to a time consuming swapping to and from the mcc card. I expect Nokia will put more memory in a next version. When they can combine that with let's say the keyboard the Psion 5Mx had, Nokia will have a supergadget that will attract lots of people. But all those people who just want to surf and navigate don't have to wait for that. Especially now Nokia is selling their Nokia 770 in combination with a complete navigation kit (with a solid carholder, 1 gigabyte mmc DV, SIRF 3 GPS and the ported Navicore 2007 software) for a quite attractive price of 499 euro. More info about nokia 770 + navigation kit. (http://www.europe.nokia.com/A4145104)
And at last here a link when you want to read another short review of the Navicore navigation software on Nokia 770 (http://www.advogato.org/person/pycage/diary.html?start=46)

TA-t3
2006-12-07, 10:32
As somebody asked how long it takes to get a fix from a cold start, I thought I should mention that there won't be much difference between units - it takes the time it takes, because the satellites send the so-called "almanac" information only so often and only so fast. Only in very advanced (larger, e.g. rack-mounted) devices would you expect much faster startup, or if the unit could be fed in advance with recent almanac information (but then it wouldn't be a cold start).

Kevint
2006-12-07, 10:37
I haven't had time to take screenshots or do a proper review. I've used it several times now including a day trip to France and navigating in the UK. A few quick pros/cons

Pros
- stable so far
- fantastic screen, but we knew that :-)
- ease of installation/setup
- finger operation
- speed camera warnings, very easy to install/update with a wireless internet connection
- sturdy holder for 770, seems very secure when attached to windscreen/windshield
- recalculation of route seems very quick if you take a wrong turn
- europe wide maps

Cons
- at a roundabout you get advance instruction e.g. "at the roundabout take the third exit" and then when at the exit you get the instruction "take the exit" - the second instruction is just a little late
- can't do cross border routes, not a big issue for me but could be for others
- the maps are no substitute for local knowledge and do have ocassional errors for example one of my local roads is buses only but it tries to route me down it
- if all you want is sat nav there are plenty of cheaper solutions
- they should supply more than one piece of velcro for the gps device so it can easily be moved to another car

Kevin

Gnubbel
2006-12-13, 17:51
Hi,

how much resources does the navicore application need on the internal flash disc? Because my nokia is running out of flash disc space on the internal flash. And what about the maps?, I’ve a 2 gig MMC, can I store all maps on one MMC? How big is the whole map material on the dvd?

Gnubbel

pycage
2006-12-13, 19:22
Hi,

how much resources does the navicore application need on the internal flash disc? Because my nokia is running out of flash disc space on the internal flash. And what about the maps?, I’ve a 2 gig MMC, can I store all maps on one MMC? How big is the whole map material on the dvd?

Gnubbel

The application itself is only a few megabytes. So you should be able to install it without problems on the internal flash. All data
is stored on the MMC. I currently have only the map set Germany & Alps installed on the card and that takes about half a gigabyte together with the other Navicore data.
The MMC in the bundle is 1 gigabyte and comes with maps for western europe, central europe, scandinavia and eastern europe preinstalled. But a 2 gigabyte MMC will be able to hold all the maps.

Installing Navicore on another MMC is as easy as copying the
Navicore folder to the other card.

pycage
2006-12-13, 19:26
I can now confirm that speed cam warning actually works. :)
The device warned me with a PLING sound and displayed the cam
as a yellow colored point of interest on the map.

jurop88
2006-12-16, 23:08
I promised a report... well, I have not much more to add to other people comments, whose I agree almost totally!
I took many trips with my new GPS Kit, the program is very well done. If you use it as a Navigator only, just give it the time to clear 770's RAM and cache everyting and it works really well. Otherwise there is a lot of time to wait from a button press to the program reaction (more RAM, Nokia, why only 64 megs!!!). First load is ever really slow, though, especially when you don't have the GPS on sight and the device starts looking for it.
I liked almost everything of the navigation kit, the holder is sturdy and permits the right orientation on every windscreen, the vocals are very well done and exactly timed, sometimes perhaps you can need just a little more loudness but we cannot pretend too much from the integrated speaker.
I didn't try riding, but both driving and by feet options are well suited and works flawlessly. My Navi took me from one side of the other of London without any kind of problem... while not in the Tube :D
The same while driving, the options of changing colours to suit the current ambiental light is very nice, the 'energy saving' options is a must have. While on the highroad the 770 blanks off, and it means not to have a totally unuseless green arrow in front of your eyes for 150 Kms. 2 Kms before the next driving direction it resumes and starts driving you again.
Display is very well organized and almost everything needed is available (speed, directions from where and to where, 2D or 3D map, sats, next and 2nd next turn to take)
You have to have some patience after a flight for example because the GPS module has to reposition itself, but it's absolutely normal. In London, when coming up from the Tube, it was just a matter to take out the cover and wait 2 seconds to have myself repositioned and tracked again (heh, Orwell is every day near to us...)
One thing to point out, it is totally usable with your fingers only. For this reason, the upgrade to the last OS version is requested by the kit. I upgraded for this reason and realized WHY it is needed. The difference in the usability of the thumb keyboard is ASTONISHING, now IT ROCKS.
Sometime the difference between the Navicore UI and the normal MAEMO UI pops up and it's ugly, but I consider it a minor defect.
Last thought to maps. It is not well clear how license about maps are, i.e. what about upgrades, new countries etc. I wrote a mail to Navicore and had no reply, but at that time I was not already an owner of the kit, perhaps next time I'll try asking something I'll be more lucky.
The GPS module works perfectly when in your pocket, so it means really a portable device!
Overall a very good package, very satisfied with it.

Texrat
2006-12-18, 18:18
As far as more ram goes, have you tried inserting a 2 gig RSMMC and adding a virtual drive?

jurop88
2006-12-18, 23:01
Nope, no 2 gig RSMMC at the moment ;) only one :(
BTW, what do you mean by adding a virtual drive? Any hints where to search more infos?

rachid
2006-12-19, 11:39
lol;)
i think texrat is speaking of one(!) 2048 Megabyte (2 GB) MMC card...

virtual disk is virtual memory, right?

MASS
2007-01-09, 19:45
Common pics on the Nokia 770 and GPS combo, inside and outside of the cars... Hurry...

Nokia Internet Tablet (shipped 2005-15 dec.)
Internet tablet 2006 software version
Version: 2.2006.26-14
---------------------------
NOKIA 1GB RS-MMS Dual-Voltage 1.8/3.0V
Martin Fields screen protector

richie
2007-01-09, 20:08
Does anyone know if Nokia are going to bundle with the N800 too?

Rich

TA-t3
2007-01-09, 21:04
>[navigation kit/n800]
I think that's "affirmative", look at this link: http://www.nokiausa.com/N800/1,9008,feat:1,00.html
Scroll down and you'll see navigation kit for n800 listed. Well, it doesn't say they'll sell is at a bundle option, but my guess is "yes".

obergix
2007-01-15, 22:44
Hi.

The navigation kit for 770 seems to be available in many countries but not France.

Any idea why not ?

Do you know if it's available with french settings possible (including french spoken messages) ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

stomms
2007-01-20, 21:24
I recieved my Navigation kit, and started to install the software according to Navicore manual, but...
When I'm trying to strat the Navicore software after installation, it gives two stratup flashscreens and nothing happens, so I'm unable to start this navigation software! Anyone had the same problem?
200 EUR... and doesen't work, sh*t... :confused:

Gnubbel
2007-01-21, 03:53
Try to reflash your tablet to factory defaults ... then install the navicore app. Maybe you have some broken dependencies.

I had some problems to start the app after the "upgrade". So try to install the app without any upgrades. Format the MMC disc and reinstall from DVD.

The navigation software also worked on the new nokia n800 without any problems.

Gnubbel

stomms
2007-01-21, 10:58
Yes I tryed reinstalling OS from zero, nothing changes...
:(

Gnubbel
2007-01-21, 13:24
You have still the original navicore DVD app version on the MMC not the updated version?
After I used the navicore update service i could not start the app. So I had to format the MMC und reinstall the DVD app version again on the MMC.

Gnubbel

stomms
2007-01-21, 13:37
Thnx, I did the same, I made a new copy of software using DVD to my own MMC-RS, now everithing works, I'll try to make another copy on original MMC from the kit, to have my own MMC for my files. May be something wrong wit MMC from the kit?
Strange that N770 doesent allow to delite files of Navicore from the card, saying that they are read only. Will MMC card work on N770 after I format it on a computer?

Thnx

rottie
2007-01-28, 13:03
Hello,
I bought the navigation kit and I would like to share my experience with it.
At the time of sale i was doubting between a standalone gps unit, or the navigation kit. I choose the navigation kit because it seemed more efficient to have everything in one device. It would mean that I use the 770 more and always have it with me.

But I ended up returning the navigation kit and reclaiming my money.
Why?

First of all, you cannot completely operate the software by fingertouch. Switching between fingertouch and pen-usage in the car whilst driving is definitivly a no-go!
Secondly it is extremely slow. It is slow in selecting your direction (going through the menu's) but it is also slow in calculating and recalculating the route.
Finally it feels "un-finished". It crashed a few times, after switching to 3D view, I was unable to switch to 2D. The option is there but nothing happens. There were more similar (small but annoying) issues.
For the same amount of money you can buy yourself a better GPS unit.

On the positive side i must say that ordering & delivery was fast. Installation was easy. And there are some very useful POI.

pycage
2007-01-28, 13:20
The software is a bit slow indeed. But I did not experience crashing and I'm using the Navi quite frequently.

There are standalone GPS navis for the same price but not with the map coverage you get with Navicore. I also like the fact that I can run the audio player in the background playing my mp3 and Ogg music files while driving.

I use 64 MB of swap space (virtual memory) on my 770. Maybe that makes the difference.

But I still have to agree that opening the dialogs for entering the destination can be dead slow. :(

Gnubbel
2007-01-28, 23:20
Hi,
Increase the speed of the 3d view, by enabling only the important POIs. A lot of POIs decreases the speed rapidly.

Use the max. of virtual memory which is available (64MB).

I installed the navicore software on my new n800. It works perfect. The 3d view is very smooth. I think the n800 is the perfect device for this app. The navigation app on the 770 works "ok", a little bit too slow, but it was acceptable.

The big disadvantages of the n800 are the keys and the missing protection cover.

BTW: The app never crashes on my device. I use a 2 gig Kingston MMC for all maps.

Gnubbel

mag48
2007-06-26, 08:14
Hi, I just ordered the 770, I am from the USA. Is there any update on the navigatioin kit for th 770 in the USA. If so where can you purchase it from? Should I call and ask nokia?