PDA

View Full Version : BT keyboard (SU-8W) w swedish layout?

MagnusL
2006-11-22, 17:49
Hi!

I just became a happy owner of a SU-8W bt keyboard with swedish layout. However, therer are no swedish special charcters (å, ä and ö) registered on the device. Anyone knows how to make this work?

I saw some posts here about an xmodmap-file - any more information on this (I never fiddeld with that file..)?

Regards,

Magnus Larsson

markku
2006-11-22, 19:54
Hi!

I just became a happy owner of a SU-8W bt keyboard with swedish layout. However, therer are no swedish special charcters (å, ä and ö) registered on the device. Anyone knows how to make this work?

I saw some posts here about an xmodmap-file - any more information on this (I never fiddeld with that file..)?

Regards,

Magnus Larsson

Hi. Same with finnish layout, no special characters like å, ä,ö. When using SU-8W with Abiword there's all these special characters. Why not anywhere else? Trying to write emails with SU-8W is totally painful because these ä and ö is missing, so only way to write mails is use the virtual keyboard. I wish also that someone will tell how to get these special characters working with bt-keyboard. I know that there is small minority who needs these characters (only swedish and finnish users!!) but it would be nice to use that SU-8W because there is these buttons for å, ä and ö. Phew... :o
by the way, did I mentioned I am from the land of the thousand lakes (Finland) :D

MagnusL
2006-12-01, 08:14
Hi!

Feels good that someone shares my problem..:) But Abiword - do you use OS2006? I have no application at all where the character shows correctly...

Have you tried fiddling with xmodmap-files?

Magnus

markku
2006-12-01, 16:45
:) Hi!

Feels good that someone shares my problem..:) But Abiword - do you use OS2006? I have no application at all where the character shows correctly...

Have you tried fiddling with xmodmap-files?

Magnus

Nice to have some response to messages. As you can see there is silence with this problem, nobody else answered. I am just plain end user so i don't know anything of these modifications unless somebody tells me what to do. Abiword runs only from Xterm and have to be installed manually. There is somewhere in discussions thread about this. Probably best way to find it is to search for "aleksandyr" and search the results. Files and instructions can be found that way. Also you can use the "abiword" for search. I am using the latest software version and it works fine. Abiword is only software where i can use my SU-8W keyboard with these ä,ö and å. So try and tell how it went.

MagnusL
2006-12-07, 17:04
Hi again!

I sent an email to Tomas Junnonen, that is (one of?) author of the bt-plugin, and he gave me the advice to run the following command in xterm after the keyboard is connected:

$ maemo-gtk-im-switch default

After doing this, swedish characters å, ä and ö works fine for me..:)

Magnus

markku
2006-12-07, 17:19
Hi again!

I sent an email to Tomas Junnonen, that is (one of?) author of the bt-plugin, and he gave me the advice to run the following command in xterm after the keyboard is connected:

$ maemo-gtk-im-switch default

After doing this, swedish characters å, ä and ö works fine for me..:)

Magnus

Thanks a lot!! Same here, in Leafpad and email have now å,ä ja ö. Those little special characters that means to us so much..Great.
Only if that command would stay permanent but if I use that many times probably it will stay in my memory, hope so.
Thank you for your effort, this will help writing those emails and notes. :D
Markku

MagnusL
2006-12-08, 20:29
According to Tomas, this problem should be fixed in next version of the bt-plugin, so there is hope. I tried creating a small script for running the command, so its a little easier. Better would be if I could run that script from the menu - but that seems a bit trickier....

Magnus

seandarcy
2006-12-10, 02:25
look at how the bt plugin localizes diferent keyboards in /usr/share/kb-maps.

If you know how utf uses keyboard presses, you should be on your way.

Majix
2006-12-10, 15:05
Version 0.6.1 of the plugin is now available and supports all of the characters of the layouts in all the applications.