PDA

View Full Version : openness/freedom of Nokia 770 out-of-the-box

rlj7551
2005-11-10, 19:36
Hi there

I'm quite excited about the 770 and I'm considering buying one, but before I do, I'd like to know about the open source/free software qualities of the device and the platform.

I understand that the basic Maemo platform is Free, but Nokia have added extensions (e.g. realmedia, and the webbrowser (?)).

What I would like to know is if is possible easily to remove these bits of proprietary software and still have a functioning machine.

thanks.

andymulhearn
2005-11-10, 20:19
I suspect not. I guess the image is complete binary package which you can't add to or subtract from. Nothing to base that on, apart from the fact that that's more or less how the Pocket PC works.

It would perhaps be good if there was a core package that you can flash and optional packages, such as browser and email, you can add or not as you chose. Or a full working installation.

kabee
2005-11-10, 20:24
Go to maemo.org and you will be amazed :)

Just download the Developer Rootfs, flash it on the device, and voila! You have a rootfs without the proprietary parts like browser.

There are also scripts for building your own rootfs. You can add or take out any package you feel like.

Hope this helps.

andymulhearn
2005-11-10, 20:51
Go to maemo.org and you will be amazed :)

Just download the Developer Rootfs, flash it on the device, and voila! You have a rootfs without the proprietary parts like browser.

There are also scripts for building your own rootfs. You can add or take out any package you feel like.

Hope this helps.

Nice. Thanks for that.

FoulPlay
2005-11-11, 22:47
The device is entirely open source. There is no Real Player or anything like that which would be considered proprietary. It's all open.

JPB
2005-11-12, 02:00
The device is like a browser, it is called an INTERNETTABLET.
As a Mac lover it also downloads quicktime movies from the Apple site.
you acces anything on the net, including AJAX enabled sites - flash or Gmail.
It is not trying to connect to your PC or Mac based desktop software only the harddisk data, it is the wrong fight to access software from different vendors - it is history and so is Palm or Blackberry.
Try to connect to webbased apps go here: http://del.icio.us/tag/web2.0
Nokia was smart enough not to sit with Big Bill on the table.
This is something else...
This the next revolution. It has a effect on (desktop) software companies and mobile phone operators.
It is like a Tsunami of last year, they didn't see it coming.
The result will be soon all kinds of sizes of tablets and after all the old dream of Oracle will come true.... but in an other way.
Devices that can do nothing by themselves and are cheap but they need the internet !

I am not surprised about the Fins, I know them , I studied there in the 80's(design) They don't care about changing the fonts or colours for pleasure, Alvar Aalto, there great hero, statement was "form follows function".

I think this tablet of 300 euro without VAT is all about this !

bhima
2005-11-13, 20:44
The device is entirely open source. There is no Real Player or anything like that which would be considered proprietary. It's all open.

Sorry, but that's false. Opera is the browser, and it's not open. There are a few other components that are closed. Power management is closed source. The wifi control code is also closed source. I don't have a full list, but maemo.org and the mailing lists are good places to read about these questions.