PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to get the "870"??

Bromo33333
2006-12-09, 23:51
Are ya? (Sorry about this, I am trying to do a poll)

BruceL
2006-12-10, 04:48
It depends. If it is truly as ugly as the photos (retro silver??? come on!) then I may wait. Also, I can't tell from the photos how heavy it is. If it is more than a few ounces heavier, with all the other things I carry, it will bog me down too much. Other than those two things, I will get it.

jayholler
2006-12-10, 04:52
I guess it all depends on how much better the device really is. For what I do with it, the speed and specs are plenty. I don't try to have severeal browser windows open or run more than 3 or so apps at any given time. So if the difference in specs are not significant enough, I don't forsee upgrading. That said, I might if the processor has been increased sufficiently, and there are capabilities with the new model that the 770 can't compete with. For instance, better media support. Although from what I've seen on the 'net they will continue to run the same OS, so i don't know that the device will have anything significantly different, besides just amped up components.

benny1967
2006-12-10, 12:06
I'm not sure. Actually I don't need most of the new features (webcam? what for?). Of course, if it's faster and/or has more memory, it would be nice, but I'm quite content with what the 770 offers now.

The real no-no with the "870" is its design: too big, too silver, too retro, too many moving parts (cam, stand), and no metal slide-on cover. Also, it seems the buttons I use most (the ones on top) are smaller and harder to use because they're not separate any longer.

Bromo33333
2006-12-10, 12:46
I'm not sure. Actually I don't need most of the new features (webcam? what for?). Of course, if it's faster and/or has more memory, it would be nice, but I'm quite content with what the 770 offers now.

The real no-no with the "870" is its design: too big, too silver, too retro, too many moving parts (cam, stand), and no metal slide-on cover. Also, it seems the buttons I use most (the ones on top) are smaller and harder to use because they're not separate any longer.

Good point - I am hopeful that those blurry photos were just a mock-up of an early prototype and the real one will be different.

flareup
2006-12-10, 13:26
I'm not sure. Actually I don't need most of the new features (webcam? what for?). .......

ttoally agree with all of this - and the current design, look and slide on cover are all great.

thoughtfix
2006-12-11, 01:23
Did you even have to ASK?

Bromo33333
2006-12-11, 02:05
Did you even have to ASK?

I suppose you are right - though it is a fun survey nonetheless. I will be looking for a few cold/wet people parked in front of CompUSA whne it is released in the US.

My guess, base dupon your Blog - is a European release in March/April, with a US release in August. Whatdya think? :p

gnuite
2006-12-11, 03:56
I answered No, because I can't think of any hardware features the "870" could add that would benefit me, except possibly a powered USB port.

I do, however, invite with welcome arms any software updates that might trickle down for the 770, though. On that note, however, I am actually hoping that the 870 doesn't get a processor or memory upgrade, because if it does, that could severely hamper any shared application development between the 770 and 870, since newer applications may render the 770 too obsolete for acceptable UI interaction.

A usable Google-integrated PIM, however - that's an upgrade I would love and use, and I shouldn't have to buy new hardware in order to get it (if I do need it, then I won't bother).

bsterix
2006-12-11, 09:42
What is a 870? Any links?

TA-t3
2006-12-11, 10:24
>What is a 870? Any links?

The "870" is a rumour about the next version of the 770, based on documents found at the FCC about a device Nokia had tested for compliance. The specs indicated that it could be the next model. But when it's arriving, how the final version will look like, what it's going to be called nobody knows at this stage. The documents called it "Internet Tablet: RX-34". (RX-34 is obviously an internal designation, so what the retail version is to be called is anyones guess. 870 is one guess.)

bac522
2006-12-11, 11:37
No, not unless it has a faster cpu. I'm troubled that the 870 is being designed for reporters rather then users.

Hedgecore
2006-12-11, 15:00
Remember how people on the internet began calling Snakes on a Plane "Snakes on a Plane"? We should start referring to it by something to see if they'll adopt the name.

I'm schilling my pennies on "ZOMFG W3B BR1CK". Now I can post pics to my myspace account from that web cam so everyone can see how angsty I am when I'm on the move. ZOMFG!!1!!

fpp
2006-12-11, 15:17
'69-Chevvy-BBQ-grill would be more like it...

=DC=
2006-12-11, 16:12
Awe, you guys aren't seeing the bigger picture with the introduction of the web cam. Imagine being able to use the camera as another navigation function. I think we can come up with some open source algorithm to detect movement with the camera and use that data to navigate menus, control 3d objects, show realistic perspectives of virtual environments, etc.

You all will look back on these posts and wonder what the heck you were thinking at the time.

The addition of a camera and extra memory slot just gives us more freedom to create even more great uses for the platform. Just wait and see for yourselves. It'll be great.

BruceL
2006-12-11, 16:43
I agree with DC about the camera. I, for example, plan on writing a scanner that uses multiple passes of the 'web-cam' to piece together a complete scan for faxing, etc.

While I certainly have my 'wish list', I am often amazed that the 770 does so much. I haev a laptop and a desktop which I haven't turned on for several weeks.

I DO want to remind Nokia though that until I can print and use USB normally I can't fully replace my other computers.

Also, we don't mention it much but the 770 simply cannot keep accurate time (my clock is currently over 1/2 hour off) and thus cannot be used for an alarm clock or a schedule reminder. I hope that Nokia will realize that the clock problem really needs to be fixed.

fpp
2006-12-11, 17:27
Recently someone complained on the maemo mailing lists that updating the system clock with ntpdate did not survive a reboot. A developer replied with a magic command line to sync the hardware clock with the system clock. Maybe that is the problem you're seeing ? I haven't tried yet but it seems to work (although my own drift is more like 30 seconds than 30 minutes :-)

TA-t3
2006-12-11, 17:54
Strange that the clock drifts so much.. PC clocks are suffering from the original PC design I believe, the PC came without a battery so the first thing that happened when you booted (from floppy..) was that you were asked for the current time. So no need to design for an accurate clock, right? And besides, the actual DOS counter couldn't count accurately to 24 hours. So it drifted.
On the other hand, the clocks in both of my old (well, old design by now) Palm Tungsten T3's are very accurate.. strange that the 770 should have a problem. On the other hand, the T3's clock can be synchronized with my BlueTooth GPS time (very accurate!), that should be easy to get working on a 770 as well I should think.

Texrat
2006-12-11, 18:09
Definitely. More than one in fact.

I am amazed by those comments every time I see them. The new device's design and construction is far supperior to the 770's overall. Yes, there are some quirks which I find disappointing (the buttons, as you mentioned) but the retro design is VERY slick to me... and in fact to most people I've asked. It's much more professional-looking.

I DO want to remind Nokia though that until I can print and use USB normally I can't fully replace my other computers.

Bingo. Sure wish I knew what the holdup was...

benny1967
2006-12-12, 14:00
I am amazed by those comments every time I see them. The new device's design and construction is far supperior to the 770's overall. Yes, there are some quirks which I find disappointing (the buttons, as you mentioned) but the retro design is VERY slick to me... and in fact to most people I've asked. It's much more professional-looking.

:) So you see those comments often if you say youre surprised "every time" you see them.

Sure, to a certain degree its a matter of taste. But there are other factors as well, and they are not as subjective. When I look around and see the gadgets people carry with them (mobile phones, laptops, music players...), the typical thing is that the kids from a low income, low education background prefer white/shiny silver design, whereas in a professional white-collar environment black or dark grey is predominant. In my office, I never see suit-and-tie people with shiny silver PDAs or mobile phones. They're all grey or black with brushed metal.

What I'm saying is that it's one thing that you and I disagree on the design of the new device. We're just two people whose taste is mostly irrelevant. But: There are some design principles that obviously carry a message, like: black, unobtrusive is serious adult stuff; shiny, flashy is cheap kids' stuff.

Besides: I still don't see how the lack of the slide-on cover will be accepted by 770-buyers. I remember how the clever design (its multi-functional: protection and power-saver) was praised when the 770 hit the market. Would you put your 770 into your pocket without the cover to protect the screen? I'd never. Too scared it would get scratched. What is the alternative on the 870? A condom?

=DC=
2006-12-12, 15:00
I'm partially in agreement with benny1967 on this one. Nokia should have left the color black. Maybe they'll have that option this time around, who knows. Of course the color of the new tablet alone won't deter me from getting one, but just as with the 770 I'm sure there will be some factors in the design that will irk many people.

As to the screen protection issue, I think we still have to see how the soft case looks and works to even begin the comparison. If the 770 never came with a hard case to begin with and only had the flimsy cloth "bag" to protect it, I would probably be fine with that. As it stands, I only use the bag to carry memory cards and headphones on long trips anywhere. Otherwise it's useless.

Texrat
2006-12-13, 02:24
Alert: for those who haven't seen it, CompUSA currently has a $100 USD rebate on the 770.

Oh, and just wait until you guys have the newer tablet in your hands. The concerns about appearance will vanish. ;) It's not quite what you all seem to think.

As for the case issue, I picked up a nice PDA case from CompUSA.com for about $7 that works nicely on the-- oops, nevermind. :rolleyes:

SD69
2006-12-13, 04:01
Oh, and just wait until you guys have the newer tablet in your hands. The concerns about appearance will vanish. ;) It's not quite what you all seem to think.
For me, I'm not worried about appearance. I'm concerned that the webcam integration will be problematic and for some reason they have messed with the top buttons.

BanditRider
2006-12-13, 11:05
I have a silvery Toshiba PDA and it reflects the sun when using it outside. I like the black.

flareup
2006-12-13, 12:16
I'm concerned about the protection aspect to the screen - at the moment the reversable metal sleeve is a great design imho and as someone said above, just makes the unit perfect for popping into your pocket etc.

keeping my mind open about the silver retro look although agree that"business" use tends to go for something less flash and that may be an indication of where the marketing for the new tab will be heading...

Bromo33333
2006-12-13, 14:27
For me, I'm not worried about appearance. I'm concerned that the webcam integration will be problematic and for some reason they have messed with the top buttons.

A webcam will rule it out for any sort of real business use - a lot of companies forbid cameras of any kind on their premises. :(

Ironically, Nokia is one of them!

Bromo33333
2006-12-13, 14:29
Alert: for those who haven't seen it, CompUSA currently has a $100 USD rebate on the 770.

I just saw that - wow, if I didn't already have one in the works as it were I would rush out and pick one up! :p

This will probably mean that the 870 is coming close.

uNtouched
2006-12-13, 16:44
After using the Samsung i730 (slider PDA) and an XV6700...I love the 770 even more. Because I love the 770 so much, I want to be a part of the "I was one of the people who had them"...

I remember when Lynx came out (hand held Atari system)...I wanted it so bad, everyone said it was so cool....but they stopped production on it...I always said, if there is something like that, that I like....I'll buy it, just so I'm not one of the ones left out wondering how cool it was.

sdrman
2006-12-13, 18:53
As for the case issue, I picked up a nice PDA case from CompUSA.com for about $7 that works nicely on the-- oops, nevermind. :rolleyes:
Ahh, so now we know what this new tablet is called... :p

benny1967
2006-12-13, 20:06
@sdrman: "oops, nevermind" is a very strange name for a product.

Texrat
2006-12-13, 20:09
LOL sdr and benny.

Don't sweat reflection, guys. Not an issue.

smith
2006-12-14, 06:21
The design it's important, to me, the first week, later I want a system that I can use every day like 770 but with more power, more web support and skype.

falcn
2006-12-15, 18:12
Recently someone complained on the maemo mailing lists that updating the system clock with ntpdate did not survive a reboot. A developer replied with a magic command line to sync the hardware clock with the system clock. Maybe that is the problem you're seeing ? I haven't tried yet but it seems to work (although my own drift is more like 30 seconds than 30 minutes :-)
Wow, thanks for the tip. I have had the same problem with ntpdate.
Using mighty powers of google i've found the "magic command":
/mnt/initfs/usr/bin/retutime --rtc-from-system

djmspringcreek
2006-12-16, 02:52
Well, I think It's just going to depend on price for me. I'll also have to see what the specs are. I mean; my 770 is just fine right now. I use it a lot, and I've gotten used to its quirks. If it dies on me and I can't get it repaired, I might upgrade. But with some of the new products on the market, I might decide to go for something else. The webcam, for me, is actually a selling point. It's probably because I'm 17, but I can really see use for that feature; especially using it for IM. But other than that, I'm content with my 770, and really see no need to upgrade right now.

Texrat
2006-12-16, 22:31
Yeah, I expect my kids will go nuts over the webcam feature. ;)

HarryN
2006-12-19, 21:39
The most limiting aspect of my current use of the 770 is the number of pdf pages that run over the memory limit and will not view. The "whatever" box needs to solve that or it clearly is a no go.

I had hoped that a large MMC Mobile card and all of the mem settings on full would end that, but they have not.

orbitalcomp
2006-12-19, 22:20
More than likely, I will not get the successor to the 770...

Don't get me wrong - I love the 770 and still use it for certain things - but there are just too many limitations on supported video files, outdated Flash support, processor speed, and only 2GB of storage. The 870 (or whatever it ends up being called) will more than likely have just incremental changes, not revolutionary changes.

I went ahead and bought a Sony UX280p...I know it's not in the same class, it's 5 times the price, etc etc...but there are no limitations on it, I can run any program, any video file, any web site. Plus it has more standard Bluetooth functionality and of course the thumbboard. Higher rez screen, dual cameras, built-in WWAN. But it does have its drawbacks also...larger and heavier, much worse battery life, and the higher price.

The 770 was *by far* the best handheld I have ever owned (and I have owned dozens of them over the past ten years), until the UX. It just suffers from the same limitations of Windows Mobile, and Palm before that...nothing can beat a full computer, not yet anyways. Maybe in a few more years at the rate things are changing...

Texrat
2006-12-20, 19:58
Most of the limitations you cite are software based, not hardware. Granted, Nokia needs to step up a bit more in that department, but then, there IS an open source community... ;)

thorbo
2006-12-20, 20:05
I certainly am willing to pre-order when they come available. I have considered the 770 for a while (to bridge the wait), but despite how good it is, and as a learning platform just as good as an 870 should be, it is just dated hardware.... and if I am spending new money on something I would like to spend it on the later version because I know that I will be using it for several years.

orbitalcomp
2006-12-22, 02:23
Most of the limitations you cite are software based, not hardware. Granted, Nokia needs to step up a bit more in that department, but then, there IS an open source community... ;)

Yeah, that's true...it just takes forever for open source solutions to happen, especially on a niche product like the 770. The thing has been out over a year now, so if there are still incompatibilities, they more than likely will not be addressed...

I still can't wait to see what the 870 offers, because the 770 was (is) revolutionary for a handheld...

Salidwyn
2006-12-22, 19:43
I rather like the design, and it's not just because of my age. While I appreciate black, I've seen silver done well too and I think this is a good example of it. The retro look is a bit more refreshing and while the design is a bit more rounded, I think that's an advantage. Don't get me wrong, I like the design on the 770, but I think it's just a bit too boxy and bleah. Very straightforward cut and dry. While this may be fine for the business people, it's just dull. Kind of like comparing an Element to a Focus. One looks like a box, and one has some much more interesting curves to give the design a little something more. If cars can have curves, why do hand helds and computers have to be boxes to be considered "professional"?

The increase in processor speed is something I'm looking foward to. While the webcam may seem silly, it would still be good for snapping quick pics while you're out, as I hope you will be out and about with this highly portable device.

As far as the case that they're claiming it comes with, I think everyone would be really happy if it was something similar to the leather case already out for the 770. That would have the fold over cover to protect the screen as well as give you silver-haters a black cover to hide behind. If they could fashion a case (though it would be a bit more complex) that would allow you to use that included stand while keeping it in the case, it would be brilliant! On that note, I really like the included stand as well, as that's a lot easier to use than the little plastic stand that came with the 770. One less thing to carry around at least as it will be built onto the device.

I'm happy it's not a complete redesign of a great device and while they're changing some of the design features on the outside, a lot of the stuff on the inside is only being upgraded, the OS included.

And guys, let's not forget the most important thing here. Nokia is coming out with a SECOND INTERNET TABLET. After the first one, no one was really sure if the market was going to hold and be worth following up on. Even if it's not called the 870, it has been confirmed that it's an internet tablet following the foundation of the 770 and continuing the OS that we've all come to love. What this means is that there's now a solid market for these, or enough of a solid market to Nokia, to keep producing them! This is wonderful news! So if you hate the design or don't want to upgrade now, at least be happy that when you DO want to upgrade, there's a strong chance that there will be internet tablets to choose from.

richie
2006-12-23, 11:39
Yeah, that's true...it just takes forever for open source solutions to happen, especially on a niche product like the 770. The thing has been out over a year now, so if there are still incompatibilities, they more than likely will not be addressed...

I think the opposite, to me most open source projects develop quicker than closed source. There are some technologies that have been developed on Linux that are only just coming to MS platforms. I reckon its the closed elements that are the root of any opensouce delays, Adobe with flash, NDA only hardware info required for video etc.

cybe
2006-12-23, 18:50
...give you silver-haters a black cover to hide behind. .

Silver/Metal(ic) is fine, but black plastic, which has been painted with silver color (that comes off after a couple of months of heavy use) to look like a Mac is really quite pathetic looking in my opinion.

freeman
2006-12-23, 23:25
I could careless about the 870 at this point, until we have more info. The most important thing is, it shouldn't have WSOD. If it still had WSOD problem, I don't care how good/cheap the 870 is, I won't get it.

gristle
2006-12-23, 23:41
Silver/Metal(ic) is fine, but black plastic, which has been painted with silver color (that comes off after a couple of months of heavy use) to look like a Mac is really quite pathetic looking in my opinion.

It might be a piece of pressed anodised aluminium like the current 770 cover. In which case that would add some tactile value to the product.

Texrat
2006-12-26, 18:37

Buzz! Wrong assumption. Try again!

=DC=
2006-12-26, 19:16
Interesting. So there's a possibility that what looks like gray and silver plastic could in fact be metal.

Texrat
2006-12-27, 07:57
Interesting. So there's a possibility that what looks like gray and silver plastic could in fact be metal.

I love it when thinking escapes the box. :D

=DC=
2006-12-27, 08:27
If that's thinking outside the box, then this (http://net9.blogspot.com/2006/12/please-excuse-my-fuzzy-logic.html) is running circles around the box mocking everything inside. :D

Texrat
2006-12-27, 17:20
Hmmm... that sort of conjecture makes me think the writer has had his hands on one. ;)

=DC=
2006-12-27, 19:53
Heh, I wish. I have other reasons for thinking there's more goodies on the inside of the new tablet, but that's because of some info gathered for future Maemo development purposes...

Texrat
2007-01-04, 03:35
I'll be able to talk more... soon. ;)

funtasticguy
2007-01-04, 05:13
I'll be able to talk more... soon. ;)

Like next week? :confused: The suspense and the wait is killing me!

BruceL
2007-01-04, 09:33
Tex, can you say anything about the dimensions or weight? Also, does that round part at the top contain an optical zoom lens?

Without the case, the 770 is about 6 grams. Is the '870' about the same? ;)

B

Texrat
2007-01-04, 19:26
Well Bruce.. the dimensions are easy enough to extrapolate from the photos. Some people have made mistaken assumptions but the LCD screen should provide a very good reference.

I'm not at liberty to divulge weight but I will say it would be foolish of the company to make it very much heavier.

Not sure what you mean by "round part". ?

penguinbait
2007-01-05, 01:02
Is there any idea when this would be available? I was offered $240 from nokia repair center for my 770 they have not yet repaired after 30 days. I would consider taking the money, but is this thing real or a long way out. Look how long the 2006 OS took.

thorbo
2007-01-05, 01:02
Texrat, when you say "soon...", do you mean, "soon -- as in the evolutionary period of the mosquito", or "soon -- as in the lifespan of the Culex tarsalis mosquito - in a California winter"? (ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito -- leaves a little room for maneuver). There are many of us (well at least me for sure) who pretty much can't handle the anticipation. :)

Texrat
2007-01-05, 04:02
I really, really can't say. I'm sorry. But if you have just a little bit more patience than, say, a 4 year old child, you may be rewarded.

Very soon.

;)

BruceL
2007-01-05, 09:57
It has been previously speculated that the device will be announced at CES which runs from the 8th to the 11th. Certainly that is a reasonable guess. But does anyone know how long it typically takes from the time a product is announced to the time it hits the market?

I'm afraid that we'll need more patience than a 4 year old if it is announced but not made for sale. Then we will KNOW all the yummy features it has and be able to plan how we will use them, but it may not be on sale for months.

lbattraw
2007-01-05, 13:51
It has been previously speculated that the device will be announced at CES which runs from the 8th to the 11th. Certainly that is a reasonable guess. But does anyone know how long it typically takes from the time a product is announced to the time it hits the market?
There's no real reference for this as it's a different type of product/market than say, a phone or something related. I certainly hope the 770 launch is not a benchmark as that was pretty rough, with months between the first promised release date and the actual release which dragged on for some time. I actually ordered mine over a month before it shipped and ended up getting one from a local store first.

I'm afraid that we'll need more patience than a 4 year old if it is announced but not made for sale. Then we will KNOW all the yummy features it has and be able to plan how we will use them, but it may not be on sale for months.
Exactly

Larry

bac522
2007-01-05, 13:52
I'm tired of hearing about it to be honest about it.

Reggie
2007-01-05, 15:33
I'll be at CES. iTT will have the latest pics of the device(s). ;)

Texrat
2007-01-05, 15:43
Would you be happy to be able to buy the device the day after it's announced?

fpp
2007-01-05, 16:54
I speculated about the necessary differences in marketing between the launch of the 770 and that of its successor, back in this thread last summer:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21726&postcount=7

I still think it makes sense.

aflegg
2007-01-05, 17:31
fpp: I agree with your analysis.

I'd still like to see more software investment than hardware and *that* could be an incentive for me to upgrade, if the new OS was limited to the new device. However, that then disgruntles all the existing developers who have to upgrade their hardware. None of the rumoured features (except perhaps the built-in stand!) are enticing for me.

Of course, perhaps there'll be a gee-whizz feature announced which hasn't been discussed which I Simply Must Have[TM].

fpp
2007-01-05, 19:13
Well, Texrat seems to think so anyway, so we'll see :-)

fermunky
2007-01-05, 20:25
I definitely am. I'll be ordering / buying mine very soon... Although I wish I could tell you how :)

slip
2007-01-06, 06:16
Hi-res pics of the UNBOXING of the device are on Engadget now, so I guess it will just be a matter of days before it is announced... AND, judging by the CompUSA sticker that is very noticable on the box, it will probably be in stores shortly after. (Texrat must be ready to pee his pants keeping this a secret for so long!)
With CES starting tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if it was available by next wkend. I never got around to buying a 770, so maybe I'll take the plunge with the N800 (as it is called on the box) now that I've got some holiday $ that I held off on spending.

Texrat
2007-01-07, 01:19
I must admit, biting my tongue HAS been very hard! :lol:

Every time someone has posted misinformation I wanted to start hitting the keys. But, now that CompUSA employees have screwed up the cat is out of the bag a bit early (I'm not counting the previous leaks since there was still some mystery).

I've been enjoying the hell out of mine. Ignore the webcam and there really isn't a "must have" revolutionary feature IMO, but there are nice evolutionary improvements. And some of the OS changes hint that there is more to come. I can't wait for third party apps for the webcam to start coming out...

=DC=
2007-01-07, 01:35
Yeah, I can't wait to start solid.gold.coding (http://solid.gold.code.googlepages.com/home) on that monster. :)

aleksandyr
2007-01-07, 10:08
After thinking about it for awhile, no, and I'm retiring/selling my 770 (and attendant accessories: the 2GB Kingston and bluetooth GPS.)

gristle
2007-01-07, 10:18
My 770 is doing a great job of collecting dust on the carpet under my bed, so no upgrade here.

jurop88
2007-01-07, 10:46
The best handheld I have ever had, just a little underpowered in ram & proc (but still perfectly usable IMHO). After have read about such improvements the answer is yes, I will buy it as soon it will be available.
And inspite of its name, I continue to look at it as a perfect handheld device instead of as an Internet Tablet :)

wls
2007-01-07, 15:36
Yea I think I will be getting one. The improvements are what I said was needed to be competetive. I did like the older hard cover and the curved silver metal is very "retro" but it has good possibilities and the price is right. A good case for it is a must but one can customise that for ones own preferences.
I want to know where I can get that star treck interface I saw demoed here, that would definitly bring up the cool quality to the next level..
Of course CES has yet to show us all its goodies to us and I want to see what is going to be Gen2 for UMPC devices but this looks like a keeper right now.

Texrat
2007-01-07, 21:34
My 770 is doing a great job of collecting dust on the carpet under my bed, so no upgrade here.

That's a pointless waste. I'm sure you can find someone who could use it.

I just rewarded 3 people with 770s and so far one was pleased, one was ecstatic and one hasn't said a word...lol. So at least 2 out of 3 people aren't too jaded to enjoy them. ;)

Karel Jansens
2007-01-07, 22:34

Can I have it, please?

I'll pay for shipping...

benny1967
2007-01-07, 22:58
well, now that the guessing is over and we know what it is: no. i will not spend money on it. i will let everyone around me know that the n800 could be a present for my birthday :) so i'll have 2 tablets if someone's willing to spend that much on me ;)

the reason for not buying it: i'm content with the 770. i dont think it lacks memory/cpu-power. i usually have 1 or 2 browser windows open, and the 770 can handle that easily. there's nothing on the n800 that would make me pay for it - except for the SD-slots, that is. but i'm not gonna pay $400 for slots. :)

on the other hand, the 770 has qualities the n800 no longer has: the cover, larger buttons, better design. so why not keep it?

in case i ever get a n800, it would probably become the device for home use while the 770 with its sturdy case and elegant design will accompany me when i leave home.

Texrat
2007-01-08, 00:31
on the other hand, the 770 has qualities the n800 no longer has: the cover, larger buttons, better design. so why not keep it?

What I'd like to see as an accessory for the N800 is a slip-on cover that also contains a thin keyboard. That would be sweet.

sylfan
2007-01-08, 06:53
After all the troubles i had with my 770 and that lousy support by nokia (3 x WSOD, last repair took over 4 months), i have sworn to never ever by a nokia device again. :mad: :mad:

But on the other hand the n800 looks very tempting. :confused:

So i'm going to base my decision on the price (€399 currently is to much for just another tablet) and more important on the future support of the 770 (don't want to buy a new device every year, just to get updates and bugfixes).

gristle
2007-01-08, 09:47
That's a pointless waste. I'm sure you can find someone who could use it.

I just rewarded 3 people with 770s and so far one was pleased, one was ecstatic and one hasn't said a word...lol. So at least 2 out of 3 people aren't too jaded to enjoy them. ;)

I will use it again soon I am sure, I just have lost interest after the last OS upgrade when the scroll bars decided to disappear in Opera. Ebs and flows...

Its not a complete pointless waste - it saves me about .1 of a second when Im vacuuming the floor :)

christianhauck
2007-01-08, 14:05
Looking back one year, what I am spending most of the time with the 770 is: reading text and ebooks. Fo that purpose, it's even better than the 800 due to the integrated cover and the automatic stand-by mode when sliding the cover over it.
So: I'm happy with the 770, the 800 would even be a step back (cover issue)

What I might use the 800 for: due to the built-in stand, it could be a nice always-on picture / movie frame or. However, for that purpose it would need for aestetic perfection:
- a second power plug at the back - I would not want a cable coming out at the right side of a picture frame.
- the buttons would be disturbing
- ideally: extremely low power comsumption, so that I could use a solar power panel to power it it on permanently.

benny1967
2007-01-08, 14:25
What I might use the 800 for: due to the built-in stand, it could be a nice always-on picture / movie frame.

Im not sure if Nokia inted the device for this very use. :)

However, I remember they once sold a "SU-7" image frame. It wasn't much cheaper when I last saw it, around €350 or a little less. I don't know if it's still produced.