PDA

View Full Version : Low battery alerts

miniscalope
2009-12-11, 22:23
It would be helpfull to display a "low battery" logo when a Maemo device cannot start because of a very low battery level.
Sony Psp does it and several cameras too.

In addition, change the N900's light color or pulse rythme when the battery is low would be a good idea. You got that on Sony ericsson phones or sony psp consoles.

Sorry for my english :)

bocaJ
2009-12-11, 22:31
I agree with a low bat logo when the phone cannot boot, but flashing the led when you're almost out of battery seems foolish.

God
2009-12-11, 22:44
Put the battery in the freezer for 24hours.

RevdKathy
2009-12-12, 03:40
I'm so used to devices that can tell me battery capacity in percentages that I find n900's little icon very inadequate. Something onscreen - or an occasional sound to tell me if it's getting really low would be good. Lots of devices beep at low battery.

Bratag
2009-12-12, 03:42
Put the battery in the freezer for 24hours.

Do you EVER post anything that even remotely doesnt resemble crap?

thorbo
2009-12-12, 04:03
Bratag, one of the nice things about a forum like this is learning what people may or may not know... sometimes that comes out in a question.... but sometimes in the answers others give. Perhaps, rather than lambasting someone else, you can give a good answer. I eagerly await your solution to the battery issue.

Regards,

Thor

God
2009-12-12, 13:13

Will you EVER stop stalking my posts? Your fascination towards me is rather creepy.

You really, REALLY, REA-LL-Y need to buy yourself a dictionary or consult http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sarcasm and read the definition of sarcasm.

To the OP; you don't need to be reminded of the obvious, so Nokia didn't bother with it. It's like with the iPod, it comes with a charging logo - but even if it wouldn't I'd OBVIOUSLY know I have to charge it. I think there's more important issues than a little logo to state you the obvious for dummies.

God
2009-12-12, 13:14
I'm so used to devices that can tell me battery capacity in percentages that I find n900's little icon very inadequate. Something onscreen - or an occasional sound to tell me if it's getting really low would be good. Lots of devices beep at low battery.

Isn't the huge yellow bar saying "low battery" enough for you?

RevdKathy
2009-12-12, 18:26

Is that what it does? I've never got anywhere near that so I'll have to take your word for it.

Texrat
2009-12-12, 22:51
Okay, just a general FYI: there's a very low threshold for nonsense in this particular subforum, so please stick to the purpose, thanks.

To the OP: please create a Brainstorm problem+solution as described in the Brainstorm instructions. Thanks!

j.s
2009-12-12, 23:18

Can it be configured to also make a discreet beep and/or vibrate? Because, just try to imagine, the device might be in a pocket, and the user's attention elsewhere.

arkanoid
2009-12-13, 03:37
It always comes to my mind that the most stupid thing to be done on low battery is to exit sleep mode, power up cpu, screen and scream aloud about low battery ;-)

Well, i guess flashing led is not that power hungry?

j.s
2009-12-13, 06:12
It always comes to my mind that the most stupid thing to be done on low battery is to exit sleep mode, power up cpu, screen and scream aloud about low battery ;-)

Well, i guess flashing led is not that power hungry?

I don't know of any computer that wakes up from sleep to complain about low battery. Back in the APM days, a BIOS option allowed waking up from sleep to hibernate to disk. It knew how to do so before there was not enough power to save everything to disk.

The ARM CPU is able to sleep and wake up much faster using much less energy than a typical PC. Anyway, the whole idea is to determine when it is not quite too late and complain then.

somedude
2009-12-13, 06:51
I get the low battery alert everytime when the battery turns red. it even chimes.

j.s
2009-12-13, 07:13
I get the low battery alert everytime when the battery turns red. it even chimes.

Do you know what the %capacity, mah remaining, and battery voltage are when this happens? I've never let mine go below 5%.

lshal | grep bat

in a terminal will tell you this and more.

somedude
2009-12-13, 21:16
how to put that symbol between lshal and grep?

j.s
2009-12-13, 21:28
Blue arrow key on far left of keyboard 2nd row, Sym (Ctrl) key on far left of kb top row.

On screen kb pops up. | is far right of top row.

cpscotti
2009-12-13, 21:30

Dude, "blue arrow + Sym" (left side of the kb) gives you lots and lots of stuff..
have fun

by the way.. call him "pipe"

kyle
2009-12-13, 22:27
It makes a really awesome "cry of death" sound right before the battery runs out!

somedude
2009-12-13, 23:27
how do i copy the text from x-terminal? tried ctrl c from keyboard that didnot work and even pressed ctrl on screen then c that did not copied either and making a screen shot doesnot make sence because one screen shot is not enough

j.s
2009-12-14, 00:37
how do i copy the text from x-terminal? tried ctrl c from keyboard that didnot work and even pressed ctrl on screen then c that did not copied either and making a screen shot doesnot make sence because one screen shot is not enough

Tap the arrow at the bottom left of the display. It will turn blue. Then highlight the text you want to copy. Tap the Xterminal drop down menu at the top center of the screen and press the copy button.

It is very good that they set it up this way, because control keys have been very important in terminal sessions long before they got highjacked for other uses. Ctrl-C is interupt, for example.

I find it much easier to ssh to the n900 and do the copy and paste with a proper 3 button mouse.

somedude
2009-12-14, 02:11
~ $ lshal | grep bat
battery.charge_level.capacity_state = 'ok' (string)
battery.charge_level.current = 3 (0x3) (int)
battery.charge_level.design = 8 (0x8) (int)
battery.charge_level.last_full = 0 (0x0) (int)
battery.charge_level.percentage = 33 (0x21) (int)
battery.charge_level.unit = 'bars' (string)
battery.is_rechargeable = true (bool)
battery.present = true (bool)
battery.rechargeable.is_charging = false (bool)
battery.rechargeable.is_discharging = true (bool)
battery.remaining_time = 7200 (0x1c20) (int)
battery.remaining_time.calculate_per_time = false (bool)
battery.reporting.current = 423 (0x1a7) (int)
battery.reporting.design = 1253 (0x4e5) (int)
battery.reporting.last_full = 0 (0x0) (int)
battery.reporting.unit = 'mAh' (string)
battery.type = 'pda' (string)
battery.voltage.current = 3748 (0xea4) (int)
battery.voltage.design = 4200 (0x1068) (int)
battery.voltage.unit = 'mV' (string)
info.capabilities = {'battery'} (string list)
info.category = 'battery' (string)
~ $

This is what i have now but will repeat this when i get the battery low alert again

somedude
2009-12-14, 07:03
hahaha now when i want this battery to give the chime it has lasted me me than 14 hrs. i dont know wtf is going on. i will wait another 1 hr then i have to go to sleep i will update tomorrow if get this message

somedude
2009-12-14, 08:34
~ $ lshal | grep bat
battery.charge_level.capacity_state = 'ok' (string)
battery.charge_level.current = 1 (0x1) (int)
battery.charge_level.last_full = 0 (0x0) (int)
battery.charge_level.percentage = 3 (0x3) (int)
battery.remaining_time = 0 (0x0) (int)
battery.reporting.current = 43 (0x2b) (int)
battery.reporting.design = 1253 (0x4e5) (int)
battery.reporting.last_full = 0 (0x0) (int)
battery.voltage.current = 3643 (0xe3b) (int)
~ $

3% battery left and it still shows green without any alerts. this is exceptional battery power. unplugged it at 10:00hrs and now it is 02:33hrs still no alert.

no mercy
2009-12-14, 08:56
ishal: not found :-(

why i cant run these command?

stube
2009-12-14, 09:04
It's lshal? Not ishal :)

ishal: not found :-(

why i cant run these command?

sampppa
2009-12-14, 09:04
its small L lshal

no mercy
2009-12-14, 09:22
oooppps ;) thanks

Fargus
2009-12-14, 09:45

I was wondering if it might not be possible to suppliment the battery icon. When clicking on the status bar the usal dialog (popup) appears. At that point there is a much larger icon for the battery status - would it be difficult to overlay a percentage number to give more information?

For me this would follow the use case of supplying more detailed information in the dialog (as per other notifications).

tomchiverton
2009-12-14, 10:07
Did anyone log something an entry in bugzilla yet ?

chemist
2009-12-14, 11:05
I cannot find a proposal on brainstorm for low battery notification improvements.
Please create a proposal at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/
Or post a link to the existing brainstorm item.

See the sticky threads in this forum for more information. Thanks!

somedude
2009-12-16, 07:00
this is what i have, when i get the low battery message.

$ lshal | grep bat
battery.charge_level.capacity_state = 'low' (string)
battery.charge_level.current = 1 (0x1) (int)
battery.charge_level.last_full = 8 (0x8) (int)
battery.charge_level.percentage = 0 (0x0) (int)
battery.remaining_time = 0 (0x0) (int)
battery.reporting.current = 5 (0x5) (int)
battery.reporting.design = 1259 (0x4eb) (int)
battery.reporting.last_full = 1222 (0x4c6) (int)
battery.voltage.current = 3473 (0xd91) (int)
~ $

miniscalope
2009-12-28, 16:01
Can it be configured to also make a discreet beep and/or vibrate? Because, just try to imagine, the device might be in a pocket, and the user's attention elsewhere.

Yes vibrations is also a verygood idea. My previous phone did it , a red light flashing and vibrations when the battery was very low (5%, 3%, 1% .. until die)