PDA

View Full Version : Caller ID not showing up on incoming calls.

oSiris
2009-12-18, 23:02
It just shows "Unknown Number" when I get a call from anyone. No contacts on my SIM. No duplicates in my address book. I have already done a flash of the OS. with Maemo Flasher 3.5. I am on Viaero service in the midwest. When I manualy set my network to AT&T the caller ID works. I have already contacted my service provider and talked with their network operations lead tech. He says it is a phone issue. When I put my SIM back in my old phone the caller ID works. Any help?

dj

oSiris
2009-12-20, 04:34
bumpbumpbump

That One Guy
2009-12-20, 05:09
If the caller ID works on At&T, then it's most likely a Viaero issue. Sounds like the lead "tech" doesn't know WTF is going on on his network, so he's using the old "Update your Windows" line that incompetent techs use when they can't figure something out.

oSiris
2009-12-20, 17:56
If the caller ID works on At&T, then it's most likely a Viaero issue. Sounds like the lead "tech" doesn't know WTF is going on on his network, so he's using the old "Update your Windows" line that incompetent techs use when they can't figure something out.

But it works when I put the SIM back in my old phone. So therefore it has to be something with the phone. I don't have any ideas.

m0par
2009-12-29, 00:03
Sorry, no help here, I just wanted to say that I feel your pain, and was wondering if you have had any luck in fixing the problem.

I too am on Viaero and get "Unknown Number" for any incoming calls.

OrangeBox
2009-12-29, 00:10
There are certain kinds of unlocked AND unbranded phones (ie Motorola Razr v3) that don't send the phone number regardless of the carrier settings.

Roshan
2010-01-10, 10:19
I have the same problem

MrGrim
2010-01-10, 10:25
Could you borrow a sim from another carrier and test it?
It will show whether it's just the phone or the phone+carrier combination

taptu
2010-01-13, 18:07
Hi, I am a tech here in Viaero and indeed we have confirmed this problem and we are working with Nokia (our switch provider) to fix this problem. Surprisingly enough that the Nokia switch have some issues while other network providers like Ericsson support it.

I will update this post as soon as we get this resolved. We just got our N900 for testing so we should have a better idea in the next few days or so.

By the way, this seems to be a phone and network combination since caller id works on any other phone except N900.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Viaero Wireless

opinion2
2010-01-14, 03:53
This is one of the unfortunate side effects of purchasing a device not sold by Viaero. All phones that Viaero releases for sale on it's network spend a large amount of time in testing to make sure that all software is compatable with it's system. They will do everything to help you resolve the issue however some things are out of their controle!!

taptu
2010-01-15, 20:20
This is one of the unfortunate side effects of purchasing a device not sold by Viaero. All phones that Viaero releases for sale on it's network spend a large amount of time in testing to make sure that all software is compatable with it's system. They will do everything to help you resolve the issue however some things are out of their controle!!

Thanks for stating this because that is one of our struggle right now since we never really tested this phone until we saw this complaint. But still we try our very best to support our customer.

radiowc
2010-01-19, 15:36
Hmm, I have the same problem too. I tested it a couples of time, if your contact number is like +17271234567 then I will get unknown. My other contact with 1(727)123-4567 then i will not get the unknown and get the correct caller ID... i think it is definately bug,

Try to change the contact add "(" or ")" or "-" sign, it dont allow for those contact with only +7271234567.

Hope Nokia i will fix it.

thejefc
2010-01-19, 17:46
I had the same problem with Identification of incoming calls which displays a message of "Unknown number" even when the number was in my contacts.
Let me told you how I fixed the problem:
I went to ICE (In Costa Rica is a Government entity in charge of bring GSM and 3G services like AT&T and Verizon), and they change my old Sim Card (GSM of 2003 ) for a new one and that's it problem solved.
So if you want to fixed change your Sim Card and tell the Company which provides you the phone services that you need to activated the Identification of Incoming calls service.
It works for me I hope it will works for you too.

taptu
2010-01-21, 05:57
We have found the problem and now fix it. For those on this thread that uses N900 in VIAERO Wireless network should be able to get caller ID on their phone now. Thanks for all your patience.

Thanks.

Viaero Wireless Network Operations

geneven
2010-01-21, 06:08
Three cheers for Viaero; it's nice to see this level of involvement.

adismith13
2010-01-24, 14:46
i have the same issue..... the number whether its in my contact list or not does not show the caller id..... i live in nepal where there is still a monopoly in telecom services therefore they will not fix it even if i tell them...
someone plz give me some solution.....cant maemo fix this in their next update?

kayaker
2010-01-26, 02:00
I got the new razr in December. I had the same problems. I had my numbers transfered from my old phone by the ids didn't work. I retyped all the names and numbers ( make sure that the area codes are all in there, thatmakes a difference too)
and the caller id worked.

taptu
2010-01-26, 20:24
i have the same issue..... the number whether its in my contact list or not does not show the caller id..... i live in nepal where there is still a monopoly in telecom services therefore they will not fix it even if i tell them...
someone plz give me some solution.....cant maemo fix this in their next update?

Maemo should be able to fix it too if they would just allow the mobile to just accept the caller ID regardless of the numbering plan ID that comes with the signalling message. What happened is that, maemo ONLY understand if it is E.164 format. All other phones seems to understand whatever format the caller ID uses but for some reason Maemo ONLY wants the E.164 format.

Thanks.

Convict92
2010-09-24, 14:42
I live in Estonia. I am facing the same problem. Any ideas of how to get rid of the "unknown numbers" calling?

Before everything worked perfectly... until some time. I just don't know what to do. It it really annoying.

Is it a bug? or some application maybe? List all the possibilities...

Thanks in advance ;)