View Full Version : N900 to Australia??

paul.
2009-12-21, 03:55
so i really want to get this phone and am looking at the cheapest and fastest option to get it to Australia.
the site isnt currently working for me, but i think you can get it from here for about 580 plus 40 shipping through a forwarder to australia. which seems to be about the best deal i can get. though i am unsure about their availability

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01100250U022_BCA1383P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

can anyone tell me, if i order off this site, how long will it take to arrive, and are there any better deals/options for me? :D

maxximuscool
2009-12-21, 04:08
I think any order now will take a while to reach the destination. Because it's Xmas in a few days then New year. With my guesstimate, you are looking for atleast until January to get your order. OH one more thing Paul, If you going to use a forwarder then you are also might expecting to get a Custom charges. But I have heard someone saying that the custom maximum allowance is $1000AUS dollars. So convert USA + shipping cost to AUS to see if its under $1000AUS if its still under the maximum allowance then you are sweet. Not sure though you may need to ask your CustomAUS

Otherwise the shipping process would take about 7days from your forwarder. 1-6days to forwarder, depending on the shipping speed you pick.

Mine went through customNZ just fine but mine was not going through the forwarder. So I'm guessing you would as well :-) goodluck mate!

elmato.au
2009-12-21, 04:19
We got 4 sent over via this guy (http://www.bonzerimports.com/)

We got him to get them via Amazon as that was the cheapest option at the time. (several months ago) I believe being based in NY, he gets slugged with some additional sales tax.

He is very good with warranties, which is fortunate as of the 4 units we got sent over, 1 had the dreaded reboot bug. (currently on its way back to amazon as we speak)

As for postage times, Id imagine if you ordered it today, you'd have it within a fortnight. Depending on availability at whatever online store you choose obviously.

Edit: Actually yeah I forgot about christmas looming... On second thoughts, dont expect it within a fortnight.. ;)

jaeezzy
2009-12-21, 04:42
It won't be not even AUD 750 and ya I've been hearing from the sellers from ebay that one doesn't have to pay tax for goods below AUD 1000, so I think its the best deal coz in ebay all are around AUD 900-1000 but the questions are:
1. Can I trust this site and in availability it says "On order" and following the link took me to this message: "The real-time inventory server did not respond. The server may be down for maintenance. This item was last known to be back-ordered, however this may not be accurate. Please contact us for availability or try your request again later. You may order this product, regardless of availability." It's making lots of "????" to pop up in my head.. coz once I've been f****d by such online buying and spend AUD500 for some chines n96 which didn't even cost 50 AUD.
2. Whats the warranty, coz in ebay one was saying that I can get 1 yr Aus warranty but has to be taken to their office in Aus not nokia care.
3. Will it work in Aus 3G?

If all are as expected and @paul: have you contacted them?, then I'm the next to get one from here..

EDIT: So, I guess it's trustworthy. @elmato.au: how did you make the order and how much did you pay that time and did you pay any taxes etc, does it work with 3G etc... and what was your final price??? Thanks

paul.
2009-12-21, 04:58

We got him to get them via Amazon as that was the cheapest option at the time. (several months ago) I believe being based in NY, he gets slugged with some additional sales tax.

He is very good with warranties, which is fortunate as of the 4 units we got sent over, 1 had the dreaded reboot bug. (currently on its way back to amazon as we speak)

As for postage times, Id imagine if you ordered it today, you'd have it within a fortnight. Depending on availability at whatever online store you choose obviously.

Edit: Actually yeah I forgot about christmas looming... On second thoughts, dont expect it within a fortnight.. ;)

so you just emailed him asking about amazon? how much did the shipping cost?

maxximuscool
2009-12-21, 05:03
not sure about 3G in AUSIE aye. But i'm sure it will work with Vodafone. Duno whats Vodafone in Ausie lol

Ehamloptiran
2009-12-21, 05:09
I can't talk about price, as I paid a fair bit for mine, to ensure that I would get it early and quickly. But I can say that it works fine with Australian 3G. As I am on a virgin plan and it connects fine.

sparkle58
2009-12-21, 05:30
I ordered my N900 from Mobicity who are based in Brisbane. Made the call Monday 14/12 and it landed in my hands 17/12, tracked all the way. It's isn't the cheapest option but you get an Aussie warranty which can be extended for 2 years at a reasonable rate. Best of all they were awesome to deal with. Highly recommended.

As of now Sydney time 4.30pm 21/12 they say they have stock in hand in their HK warehouse.

Btw, love the phone but be warned it takes patience straight out of the box. Will be amazing when sorted a bit more.

PS I'm with Vodafone and it works fine. Vodafone Compass and any games you've downloaded won't work and you get only limited access to Vodafone Live.

RipTorn
2009-12-21, 05:33
Vodafone and Optus work in Australia with 3G and Telstra on the GSM network.
No idea about 3;

On Bonzas website he has his details to email him and ask.

paul.
2009-12-21, 06:05
wow, from Mobicity with shipping it will total about 915, whereas i can get it from BLT store for somewhere atound 700. i think fir the saving of $200 i would prefer to order elsewhere and wait longer.

thanks for the input though, i was unaware that you were able to purchase the N900 from an Australian site

RipTorn
2009-12-21, 06:16
Can get it in Australia from retailers or importers.
Its just a bit over the top for price.

http://www.expansys.com.au/d.aspx?i=188894

just over 1K AUD

myk
2009-12-21, 10:26
Check the massive thread on whirlpool for Australia orders:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1331142.html
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1344752.html

They've had some 1-post-wonder astroturfing for mobicity there too. Caveat emptor.

sparkle58
2009-12-21, 22:08
Agreed you can save money if you're patient. I wasn't. Story of my life I'm afraid...Plus the Oz warranty and impeccable service from Mobicity softens the blow quite a bit. But if I'd waited I could have been tempted by the Experia10. Being a Sony customer on many levels the system integration and Snapdragon processor would have been hard to resist!

And MYK, I'm not sure of your inference but I'm actually posting from first hand experience with the company. It's my only contact with Mobicity and more than likely not my last. Good service is damned hard to come by so I'll look there again if necessary in the future. How/where and for how much anybody else gets their toys is not my concern. I'm loving playing with my N900, already loaded up with 20g of junk and way more to come. Btw, when I questioned the price with Mobicity they shipped a 16g MSD card the same day no cost.

myk
2009-12-22, 00:48
And MYK, I'm not sure of your inference

Its just that it sounds precisely like the whole purpose of your posts is to shill for a dodgy vendor. And sure enough, when I check the post count... Are you are the same guy who just opened an account on whirlpool for the same purpose?
Come on, you sound like an infomercial. How about a little more subtlety next time. And try making a couple of helpful posts on other topics first, if you want to be less obvious.

I don't have reason to question their service levels (especially at that price!) but their tax-"minimising" company structure, and misleading claims. FFS they still advertise the non-existent N900-2 and made-up RRP. They claim to be an Australian seller, but do not pay GST or give proper tax invoices or an ABN.
So pardon me if I see a duck when I hear quacking.

BTW, their legitimate Australian operation is called "Easy Mobiles", which does have ABN, GST, employees, etc.
So the people are real. probably great guys.

sparkle58
2009-12-22, 01:56
I admit I'm lost here MYK, sorry.

Like I said, I'm not remotely interested in how anybody else gets their hands on an N900. I've got mine and more than happy with the whole process, end of that story. Please don't deal with anybody you don't feel comfortable with, your call.

But from a new poster's perspective, I have to start somewhere and I actually thought I was being helpful. Yep they aren't cheap from Mobicity, bloody exie actually, particularly when you compare to the sites promising cheaper prices but longer delivery times. I wanted mine yesterday but had to wait 4 days.

Further, me posting anything tech-based is pointless for two reasons. I'm no techie and that stuff is already here or on whirlpool to the nth degree, posted by far more competent and articulate types than me imo.

As I said, I'm new to this forum but won't be overwhelmed by your misguided take on my motives. I notice you've made a few posts so I'll afford you the respect of at least going through some of them before offering my, admittedly subjective, opinion on the value I consider you bring to the table. Cheers.

leeyam
2009-12-22, 11:48
@MYK - have you had a bad experience with Mobicity? If so I'd love to hear it. Like sparkle58 I have had a good experience with them: I purchased the N97 as soon as it came out (ouch!) and have had to send it back for repairs twice now (Nokia issues, not Mobicity - GPS / Camera lens cover issues): each time I have, they have been excellent in organising a courier, getting the phone repaired in a timely manner, and being absolutely lovely to my as a customer.

Not to mention that their initial delivery of the phone was FAST and payment etc was incredibly smooth. There is a premium on their products (at least IMHO) but it is worth it.

Now rather than suggesting I am on the mobicity payroll too (I have a low, but larger post count, and have been around longer, making helpful posts on other topics first) could you please either elaborate on their dodgy practices, so I may be better informed for my next purchase, or otherwise explain what you mean by the 'duck' and 'quacks' analogy if I have misunderstood?

myk
2009-12-22, 13:15
Hi Leeyam,
its really that on another forum there have been a number of shill posts from purported happy customers. I know it is a common practice, even by some large companies, but it is still annoying. then there was the whole N900-2 saga, and tax-avoidance I mentioned.
AFAIK Easy Mobiles if fine, but there has been way too much ******** from the mobicity operation. Fake phone, fake RRP. Trying to be an overseas company for tax & GST purposes, while giving the impression of being Australian (which is true in practice, if not on the books.)
Too much ducking and weaving around the laws for my comfort.
But the only reason I bother to comment on that is the blatant fake customer (on the other forum) that really piss me off. Enough said.

sparkle58
2009-12-22, 22:06
Geez Leeyam, had to return your toy twice? I know that would've driven me nuts. But I'm glad your experience through the warranty process went so smoothly. Fingers crossed I won't need to do the same but I did buy the extended warranty and for the price thought it good value.

More importantly, we seem to have gotten a little off topic so apologies to all. I know anybody still waiting on local delivery would be having kittens every time the doorbell rings so I hope Santa (or Fedex/USPS/Whoever/) gets to you soon so you can be as amazed and frustrated by the N900 as I have been.

I swear I'm going to get sacked and/or dumped by my gf if I don't leave this thing alone for at least a few minutes in the day. Mum was right, it'll make me go blind one way or another...

leeyam
2009-12-23, 00:08
...I swear I'm going to get sacked and/or dumped by my gf if I don't leave this thing alone for at least a few minutes in the day. Mum was right, it'll make me go blind one way or another...

Oh dear, this could really be taken the wrong way!!

@MYK: Fair enough point - any co. that feels the need to use fake reviews or fake 'happy customers' on forums is doing it wrong - and though I haven't heard about the tax thing it doesn't sound right when you describe it. I remember seeing a post from a mobicity rep somewhere around here (I think it was in response to you in another thread re the N900-2) so maybe they should explain themselves re the tax thing too?

But I agree with sparkle58 - we are off-topic, so I should ask: given you all now know my n97 is not exactly doing well (are any of them?) I am looking at a n900 for a christmas pressie to myself. Which way did/will you get yours? Ebay? Mobicity (or other online store)? A private forwarder?

myk
2009-12-23, 02:15
A lot of us ordered directly from Amazon with the pre-order, as they accept foreign billing address and credit cards, but still need a US delivery address. Forwarders used include Bongo and Shipito.
Lots of people used PriceUSA, who make it easier for a fee, but they have had delays.
If faulty, we rely on the US warranty, which means posting it back, and having Nokia send it via a freight forwarder again.

libro
2009-12-23, 07:02
A lot of us ordered directly from Amazon with the pre-order, as they accept foreign billing address and credit cards, but still need a US delivery address. Forwarders used include Bongo and Shipito.
Lots of people used PriceUSA, who make it easier for a fee, but they have had delays.
If faulty, we rely on the US warranty, which means posting it back, and having Nokia send it via a freight forwarder again.

Which when you consider the $400 saving from Mobicity price, should be OK to cover a few shipments back and forth ...

DaSilva
2009-12-23, 07:25
I have used PriceUSA at the beginning of this month for 700AUD and I am still waiting (but maybe because Amazon is always out of stock)...

Skywalker
2009-12-23, 08:29
so i really want to get this phone and am looking at the cheapest and fastest option to get it to Australia.
the site isnt currently working for me, but i think you can get it from here for about 580 plus 40 shipping through a forwarder to australia. which seems to be about the best deal i can get. though i am unsure about their availability

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01100250U022_BCA1383P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

can anyone tell me, if i order off this site, how long will it take to arrive, and are there any better deals/options for me? :D

I certainly would not be ordering from them. I placed a order with them on November 10 and had no sign of it ever being shipped. The ETA's keep getting pushed further back, in fact one of the warehouses is showing a ETA of March 2010!
I cancelled my order with them and ordered through another supplier last Tuesday (Ipmart), and they have already shipped my order.

Frappacino
2010-02-03, 11:13

hey mate, how much did bonzer charge you to buy phones through him ?

i want him to buy it through newegg if possible.