PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N800 Developer Device Program

Reggie
2007-01-08, 00:26
Maemo.org just announced the Nokia N800 Developer Device Program where selected open-source developers can purchase the new Nokia N800 for only $99 Euros (limited to 500 devices).Hello, Nokia is launching a Developer Device Program to provide open source developers with Nokia N800 Internet Tablets at a discount. Maemo.org will be providing 500 devices at a price of 99 Euros per device to selected open source developers. Eligible developers will be provided a discount code to be used at the Nokia N800 online shop. Please visit http://www.maemo.org/ for details. On behalf of the maemo team, FerencThe SDK for Maemo 3.0 'Bora' has also been released for the developers. Links: Maemo, Maemo 3.0 BoraRead the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/2007/01/07/nokia-n800-developer-device-program/)

aflegg
2007-01-08, 00:38
Note that Ferenc has clarified on IRC that, unlike the 770 developer device programme, the N800 programme is based on a selection process the Maemo team/Nokia is going through. There is no application process.

In other words, "don't call them, they'll call you".

Reggie
2007-01-08, 00:38
Single-click app installation... At last! :D

slip
2007-01-08, 00:47
Wow. I guess that's one reason why it would have been better if CompUSA didn't start selling them early. Good for Nokia---this sounds like a great program to encourage developers to create applications for the N800.

Texrat
2007-01-08, 00:50
Wow. I guess that's one reason why it would have been better if CompUSA didn't start selling them early.

Yup. That early selling cheats the very enthusiasts who are likely to buy early. :(

saxen
2007-01-08, 01:11
sorry mate....i've got a question...
will we upgrade our 770 to maemo 3.0?? i've read that it's no possible....is it true?? :(

plz tell me that we will... :P

aleksandyr
2007-01-08, 02:39
Nifty! Here's hoping.

=DC=
2007-01-08, 02:54
sorry mate....i've got a question...
will we upgrade our 770 to maemo 3.0?? i've read that it's no possible....is it true?? :(

plz tell me that we will... :P
Sorry saxen, the 770 most likely won't be able to upgrade to 3.0. :mad:

aleksandyr
2007-01-08, 03:00
Sorry saxen, the 770 most likely won't be able to upgrade to 3.0. :mad:

Offtopicing abit:

See, I just can't believe Nokia would do that: especially given that Bora is (vaguely) available already on the 770 in the form of Herring.

The most likely N800 purchasers are 770 owners (who already have a need for such a device) and the friends of 770 owners (who get to see the benefits of owning such a device up close and personal.) I've already sold two 770s, and I imagine you guys have similar stories.

Not updating the 770's OS would alienate the 770 community in an EXTREMELY effective fashion.

AaronL
2007-01-08, 03:20
Offtopicing abit:

See, I just can't believe Nokia would do that: especially given that Bora is (vaguely) available already on the 770 in the form of Herring.

The most likely N800 purchasers are 770 owners (who already have a need for such a device) and the friends of 770 owners (who get to see the benefits of owning such a device up close and personal.) I've already sold two 770s, and I imagine you guys have similar stories.

Not updating the 770's OS would alienate the 770 community in an EXTREMELY effective fashion.

Nokia does state, at http://www.maemo.org//downloads/maemo_3_compatibility.html, that "there will be at the end of January new maemo 2.2 maintenance release...". So, maybe we will see a new image that has some of the updates from maemo 3.0 with this release. As far as I can tell, Nokia only has said that 3.0 is not supported on the 770. That is not the same thing as saying that the 770 will not be supported anymore. Perhaps Nokia is planning for the 2.x releases to be for the 770 while the 3.x releases will be for the N800.

AaronL

=DC=
2007-01-08, 03:42
Nokia does state, at http://www.maemo.org//downloads/maemo_3_compatibility.html, that "there will be at the end of January new maemo 2.2 maintenance release...". So, maybe we will see a new image that has some of the updates from maemo 3.0 with this release. As far as I can tell, Nokia only has said that 3.0 is not supported on the 770. That is not the same thing as saying that the 770 will not be supported anymore. Perhaps Nokia is planning for the 2.x releases to be for the 770 while the 3.x releases will be for the N800.

AaronL
Yeah, that would make sense, but why not release both branches at the same time? I'm not getting my hopes up too much about it in the mean time, and I think I'll wait a little while before buying the N800 to see if Nokia is generous enough to offer solid.gold.code (http://solid.gold.code.googlepages.com/home) a discount code for us poor developers. :rolleyes:

gorkon
2007-01-08, 17:18
My biggest beef with this developer program is I JUST got started working with my Nokia 770. I would be a new developer on the N800. How do I get the discount when I have not released anything yet??

Anyway, I hope they continue to update the 770. The 770 is still a great device and one thing....alot of work places will not let you take something with a camera on it due to security issues. The 770 can substitute for a N800 model that does not exist yet....one without a camera.