PDA

View Full Version : Single Click Application Installer in 2007!

Rocketman
2007-01-09, 08:57
It now looks like OS 2007 supports a feature called Single Click Install. If I am reading this right, it looks like you can create a file that when double clicked, adds a repository to application manager, to make it easy to install applications from the repository without having to type out the repo's info on the on screen keyboard. This should make installing applications much easier, and provides an easier way to backup and restore your repository list (without messing with the sources.list file directly).

Good one Nokia!

Details available here:

http://maemo.org//platform/docs/howtos/howto_making_an_application_package_bora.html#Sing le-Click-Install

aleksandyr
2007-01-09, 17:16
This would be so painfully trivial to add to OS2006 that it's just not funny.

I'll dig up the mime association spec and post a prototype later.

aflegg
2007-01-09, 17:21
aleksandyr: I remember people saying on #maemo it basically worked already, but they didn't want to advertise it until they'd tested it further.

So that prototype might be easier than you think!

=DC=
2007-01-09, 18:23
All the ones I tried with maemo 2.1 installed just fine. I guess the biggest advantage of the new single click install is that it will add the necessary repositories for future upgrade purposes.

aleksandyr
2007-01-09, 18:25
aleksandyr: I remember people saying on #maemo it basically worked already, but they didn't want to advertise it until they'd tested it further.

So that prototype might be easier than you think!

This is what I get when I stop paying attention to IRC ;)